The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

Done deal

Everything been signed tonight </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

got some linkage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a player

Scores goals by the barrowload yet for some reason nobody seemed to seriously want to sign him and Walter also seemed reluctant to play him for Scotland despite his record and impact last season.

Should be an excellent singing if it's true even though one wonders if there is another reason for the reluctance of others to buy and, or play him.

Not seen a lot of Hibs but he's supposed to be a lazy bastard. He can turn games in an instant though which is obviously great when it happens. He'll probably come off the bench at Rangers and be expected to turn games in 20 minutes though.

the bbc said that rangers tabled an offer and hibs were considering it. also said other teams were intrested

not seen anything that he's signed yet....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

pretty jammy goals from Caley though, two mishits ended up as goals </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were mate, but the ballwatching's been a problem for a while now. Nowhere near enough mobility at the back.

Looks like Riordan and Quashi should sign today... icon14.gif

IF we do sign them, then I'd be very happy. We needed a goalscorer and got Boyd for a net fee of about £200K. We needed a good back up player for Buffel and got Riordan who can also play wide left for about £400K. Most of all we needed a genuine left-sided midfield player and we have got Quashie for nothing until the end of the season.

Great work and encouraging for the rest of the season and beyond.

Not sure how badly we need Riordan in relation to other positions, but for that price, it's a move we couldn't have turned down. Is he cup-tied for the European game though? Also what will his signing mean for Lovenkrands and Novo? The future doesn't look that great for Nacho particularly, but will this affect contract negotations with Pistol?

Certainly good news concerning Quashie, if true. We've left it late, but I don't think we could have expected too much better in January if those two sign today.

As far as I know, the rule was changed... He's be ineligible for the UEFA Cup but is free to play in the CL.

You're maybe partly right about Novo, but I'd say Riordan was bought more for the wide left and central positions while Novo will provide rotation for Burke and the strikers.

A nice balance up front in fact. But now we need to shore up an increasingly dodgy and static defence.

• SI Staff

As far as I'm concerned Novo has lost his place in the team and will have to work hard to get back into the first team picture, and that means scoring goals when he gets his chance.

Boyd is scoring for fun at the moment, Lovenkrands has been, Dado grabbed a couple last week as well and Buffel is the creator. It's going to be hard for him to get back into the side, although he might get a chance on the right against Hibs if Burke's injury hasn't cleared up by then.

It's not just the arrival of Riordan mate. Novo's been poor for most of the season. I know form, injury and where he's been positioned have played their part, but the guy can't be given endless chances. Hopefully he picks up soon.

Yeah, due to a number of reasons (injury and personal problems mainly) Novo hasn't managed to regain his place in the team.

I've herad rumours behind the scenes of him having a bad attitude and as such, it wouldn't surprise me to see his Rangers career struggle from now on.

Shame as he's an effective wee player when his mind is on the job.

He is, and if the bad attitude rumours you speak of are true, its a particualr shame, as the guy seemed a real Rangers man last year.

Any word on Lovenkrands now? Talk yesterday was that Riordan's arrival would see him sold today...

Seemingly contract talks are still ongoing and both parties still quite far apart.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him leave today actually for about £500K. Wouldn't upset me either really but he has been playing well lately in his preferred position but over the piece has never really convinced.

I think he has tried to improve though and he is one player who was worked hard in training lately. Annoying thing would be that he's most probably flourish under a better coach.

50/50 either way if he stays or go I'd say.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

I think he has tried to improve though and he is one player who was worked hard in training lately. Annoying thing would be that he's most probably flourish under a better coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on. Still in two minds about him staying myself, although my stance has softened in recent weeks. Prso may only have one more season left in him after this, Novo's long-term future is questionable and Buffel's not an out-and-out striker, so getting rid of a guy like Lovenkrands, with his best years ahead of him, might be a tad hasty.

If we do keep him, at least until the summer, he's another option, and I do think his pace would be a valuable asset on the break against Villareal in particular.

I'd be happy with both those signings.

For what its worth i don't think Lovenkrands would be any great loss as he has only recently started playing, 2 months ago he was the invisible man just like Ricksen is now that he has a nice new contract.

Novo i'd be disapointed to lose, so much potential there, a good raw talent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

For what its worth i don't think Lovenkrands would be any great loss as he has only recently started playing, 2 months ago he was the invisible man just like Ricksen is now that he has a nice new contract. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I accept that and agree with it to a fair extent although, hopefully, being given a chance in his favoured position could be attributed to his form of late, as much as the pot of gold. Maybe I'm too gullible... icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Aye, would definitely have been strange of them to allow him to go on loan when they had a cash offer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, but nowadays it usually comes down to what the player wants.... icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff

Is Quashie even a left sided midfielder anyway? I don't really know an awful lot about him but was under the impression he is a right footed central midfielder.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rangers' bid for Hibernian striker Derek

Riordan has been rejected by the Easter Road club.

BBC Scotland understands the offer was in the region of £350,000.

Riordan, 23, is out of contract in October and has turned down offers to extend his stay, with Hibs manager Tony Mowbray resigned to losing him.

"At this moment in time we haven't received any offers that have met our valuation of our players," he told the Edinburgh Evening News.

"We have received several enquiries but nothing that we as a football club have found acceptable.

"Derek's situation is a tricky one because he is out of contract in a few months.

"Our number one option has always been to re-sign Derek on a longer deal but that is looking unlikely at the moment.

"You have to weigh up an individual's worth to the team and the goals they will score against a monetary value and so far we don't feel those things have balanced up."

On Monday, a Hibs spokesman said: "We've had interest from more than one club.

"But the manager has said that the player has value because of his goals, talent and his contract. So offers would have to meet our valuation."

The Edinburgh club said last week that they had turned down an offer from German side Kaiserslautern.

Riordan was left out of the team at the start of the season after rejecting the chance to move to Cardiff City but worked his way back and his goals helped Hibs move up the SPL table.

However, Hibs' season has faltered and they have fallen two points behind third-placed Rangers, having been 11 ahead at the end of November. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonder if we'll go back in again?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

Done deal

Everything been signed tonight </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jambo kidding on all the Hibbees, I wonder?

Looks like we might not end up with anyone, a bit of a shame because would have been a handy guy to have until the end of the season. Not too fussed about Riordan, could be more trouble than he is worth.

Boyd is looking like more of a bargain every day. I would love to see him grab a goal in his first old firm. Also, if he is fit Burke has to start in the next Scotland game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jorg:

Looks like we might not end up with anyone, a bit of a shame because Quashie would have been a handy guy to have until the end of the season. Not too fussed about Riordan, could be more trouble than he is worth.

Boyd is looking like more of a bargain every day. I would love to see him grab a goal in his first old firm. Also, if he is fit Burke has to start in the next Scotland game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived