The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

Mind Rodriguez is coming back Ter, although you maybe just choosing to forget the guy. Think I'd prefer a full back to a centre back.

And you're right, there is little point in having two experienced well paid keepers for one position.

We still seem far too imbalanced. Decent quality and choice up front but still badly lacking in midfield.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Yeah I hadn't forgotten about J-Rod, was more thinking of someone to come in and partner him.

I'm dreading to think of Marv's late challenges and Soti's diving in against Villarreal, especially when they look for free kicks around the box for Riquelme to score, which he often does.

Remember Feyenoord and Van Hooijdonk icon_frown.gif

It's a pity the FanFan relationship soured so quickly, without ever seeing the player given a decent run of games. What was that phrase I heard at the weekend - 'player politics'?

Andrews is a decent enough backup, and an honest, committed guy, but the consistency and concentration just isn't there enough for a regular berth.

The one year deal given to Soti in the summer is looking like an increasingly wise move.

J-Rod was starting to look like the million pounds we paid for him before he got injured.

I'd like to see him and Soti together as I think Soti is a good player when he concentrates on his own game instead of pulling, pushing and helping opposition players.

I'd fine him every time I seen him smile during a game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

pulling, pushing and helping opposition players </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those first two things are part and parcel of his game, I think, and he was impressive enough last season even though they were there. He might have been a dirty player, to an extent, but he managed to keep it in check.

But yes, I'd agree about the third point. There's a nonchalance creeped in this year, and an indiscipline, that suggests he might not be as interested.

I'd agree he's far from the only player who does this. But, the fact is, even if he's could be described as a marked man by officials (which I doubt), he has to cut it out of his game and be more professional and discplined throughout.

When he does do so he's a very effective player and I remember thinking last season he was a better all round player than JAB with regard to the Scottish game.

I'd prefer to keep him as we really need some consistencyt in our central defence. We've changed it far too often since Amo and Moore left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

I'd prefer to keep him as we really need some consistencyt in our central defence. We've changed it far too often since Amo and Moore left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's been a distinct lack of consistency throughout the team in recent years. Far too many stop gap signings, loan deals, last minute deals. Our transfer policy leaves much to be desired.

Whcih can be attributed to 2 direct reasons. Our financial and squad downsizing. And our poor manager and board direction.

Our financial situation is ever improving (in contrast to others who will report very soon) and that should provide the basis for a better medium-to-long term plan for our squad development.

Most probably under a new manager in the summer.

Yeah, I realise the reasons mate, and injuries haven't helped, but there was definite sense of optimism 10 months ago - a youthful squad, with more young talent emerging, playing decent football, scoring goals and solid at the back.

The signings over the summer and performances since have eroded that optimism a good bit unfortunately, and it's frustrating.

It is very frustrating.

Bringing in new players no matter their pedigree is always risky and I was the first person to think we had a strongish squad for the most part at the start of the season.

Our collapse is most disappointing but I still feel most of the players have what it takes. I just don't think the manager does. I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt he'll be around after May anyway.

I'm really pinning my hopes on the chairman delivering a quality new manager and the investment from whatever source so we can stablise and announce our intentions for the future.

However, in the meantime, we have 2nd place to secure which will be far from easy. To do that, we need another player or 2 no matter any potential changes in management or board level.

I hope the board realise this. In fact I'm sure they do. If they don't then it will be more than frustration we'll be feeling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Hopefully Dado will be on the bench on Sunday. I'd start with Boyd and Lovenkrands through the middle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I doubt Prso will start after being out for so long as well as the current guys doing so well.

Wouldn't surprise me though if Eck found him a place on the left wing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gers snap up England starlet

Rangers have signed England Under-19 international Moses Ashikodi until the end of the season.

The 18-year-old striker impressed on trial at Murray Park and is looking to earn a permanent contract with the Ibrox club.

The Nigerian-born forward began his career with Millwall before joining West Ham and also played for Gillingham on loan.

Ashikodi told the club's official website: "All the players and coaches have been great with me so I have settled in really well.

"When I was in England, I did not get the chance to see a lot of Scottish football but I did get to watch the club's Champions League games on TV.

"Everyone down south knows that Rangers is a massive club and I am very proud to have signed until the end of the season.

"Hopefully, I can show everyone what I can do and I can stay longer but I know that I will need to work very hard and give my all in every match I play in and also in training.

"In Murray Park, Rangers has the best facility I have ever seen so it will be great to work here every day."

Ashikodi is keen to rebuild his career in Glasgow with the SPL side after disappointing spells with the Hammers and the Gills.

Ashikodi added: "I know that I did not have the best of times at my previous clubs but this is now behind me and all I want to do now is give 110% for Rangers.

"It is a fresh start and I am really looking forward to playing in Scotland and scoring goals again.

"I will start in the reserves but hopefully I can impress the manager and get into the first-team set-up.

"That, of course, is every young player's aim but hopefully I can put in a lot of hard effort and achieve this." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's an interesting signing actually.

The guys seems to have a bit of off-the-field baggage and I think we have to tread very carefully regarding his future.

A 6 month contract should give us a wee while to decide if he can live up to his previous potential.

It's an interesting signing actually.

The guys seems to have a bit of off-the-field baggage and I think we have to tread very carefully regarding his future.

A 6 month contract should give us a wee while to decide if he can live up to his previous potential. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a great chance for the lad, he must have a bit of talent to be in the U-19 setup so we will see what happens.

The next Rod Wallace? icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

go on then, stephen thompson

how bad is he ? spare me no details, he could do a job for us couldnt he ? dont say groundsman or tea lady </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He'll probably do a decent enough job. Good target man and quite strong. Decent enough in the air. Er... that's about it.

Speaking of the defence, I'd have Marv and J-Rod together - because they're the best 2 defenders at the club.

Marv is excellent in the air, solid in the tackle and will always give 100% - he just needs to be marshalled by someone with the experience and the know how - Boumsong did a good job of it last season, as did Soti. This season though, Soti's lost it - half the time it's Soti that needs marshalling, when he should be the one taking responsability.

I don't think it's any coincidence that we kept a clean sheet with him out against Dundee Utd - we had a shaky first 20 mins due to enforced personell changes, but Iain Murray played excellently and took charge of the defence - it was no suprise to see them look more comfortable once they'd settled into the game. I'd play Murray at centre half until J-Rod returns.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I personally believe that J-Rod suffered at the beginning due to trying to cover Soti's mistakes so i'd agree drop Soti and play Marv and J-Rod together. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was nothing more than J-Rod struggling to adapt to the Scottish game - once he did, he started playing really well.

My dad's theory on Soti is an interesting one - he only played well last season to put himself in the shop window for a better club to buy him at the end of his Panathinaikos contract.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Nice:

has to be jason SCOTLAND on the back of the TT shirt icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another good shout. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jorg:

I'm still looking for a T&T shirt, going to put Andrews on the back. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want one of them for the World Cup as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They must be bringing out a new one because I can't find one anywhere.

SoccerHell's response to the David Murray t-shirt as posted on FollowFollow

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have to say I am extremely disappointed and surprised at the level anger from the rangers fans over the David Murray t-shirt.

The idea wasn't sent to us by a celtic fan and nor had we been tricked into producing it. The actual idea was conceived by one of the designers after reading a message someone left regarding a joke made a on a Celtic message board about David Murray's disability.

We found it completely hypocritical that rangers fans would be so upset about this, yet find it completely harmless to constantly make references to the Paedophile scandals surrounding Celtic many years back.

Hmmm, taking the **** out of someone's disability is a lot worse than child abuse???

Apparently we have crossed the line. None of you seemed to think that when we created the WWJD tshirt. In fact, when we did remove it we even had an email from a rangers fan calling us "a bunch of girl thingys" and "what about freedom of speech?".

Or hey, would a t-shirt saying "Big Jock Knew" just be considered funny and not distasteful - I'm only wondering because we had numerous emails requesting it.

Its also upsetting that you round on the site so quickly vilifying us a "vermin" after one design you don't like. Even more suprising that a large majority of you are suggesting we are Celtic fans - when only a few weeks back you all seemed to think we were rangers fans due to the large number of t-shirts we have that are pro-rangers.

We've visited this site and the old followfollow board for many months now and can honestly we've read some worst stuff than this. It seems like you are all so mad, purely because its regarding someone associated with Rangers. Which unfortunately is just hypocrisy.

We'd appreciate it if the person who posted the address associated with SoccerHell removed it. It was registered there a while back and we now have nothing to do with that address. Its actually a residential address and I'm sure the occupiers wouldn't appreciate knowing the address is being sent around a number of disgruntled fans.

The t-shirt will be removed and we understand that we have lost some of your business from it, but hey after this level of abuse, we'll be rethinking our target audience.

Regards

SoccerHell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said on FF, if that's the way they want to treat paying customers, then I'm not going to give them any more custom.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Wasn't the best of responses. Whether that's how they feel or not, they should have apologised and removed it and left it at that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Precisely. They're trying to pin the blame on us for being offended. It's not on - the t-shirt was in exceptionally poor taste, and shouldn't have made it past the idea stage.

A shame, since I've got 3 soccerhell t-shirts, and was considering buying more, but after that response, I'm not going to give them any more of my hardearned.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Savi:

In fairness it was always going to be hard to be taken seriously as Rangers being outraged by that when you consider the sort of nonsense a sizeable sector of your support get up to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have said exactly the same thing if they'd had a t-shirt taking the **** out of Jimmy Johnstone. While most of soccerhell's tshirts are **** taking, this one crossed a line.

As I said, I can see the t-shirt was in poor taste, but can't say I was "outraged". Not really in my character.

That letter is rather twattish mind you. They'd be as well keeping the t-shirt on sale, if they are going to take it off so begrudgingly.

Was it sent to you personally GF, or FF in general? I'm guessing it wasn't sent out to some random granny complaining?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

As I said, I can see the t-shirt was in poor taste, but can't say I was "outraged". Not really in my character.

That letter is rather twattish mind you. They'd be as well keeping the t-shirt on sale, if they are going to take it off so begrudgingly.

Was it sent to you personally GF, or FF in general? I'm guessing it wasn't sent out to some random granny complaining? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was posted on FF by someone from soccerhell who had registered solely to post that reply.

I wasn't outraged, but I did email soccerhell saying that I thought it was in poor taste, and wouldn't be buying from them until it was removed. However, the manner in which they've handled it has disappointed me - had they removed it and apologised, then I don't think they'd be losing as much custom as they will.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colin14:

A big jock knew t shirt would be fb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Big Jock Knew t-shirt would be fs. I think it's pathetic how much some Rangers fans keep going on about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colin14:

A big jock knew t shirt would be fb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it wouldn't.

I'd rather you stopped embarrassing the rest of us with your daft comments. The scandal you mention is a disgrace, no doubt about it, but people raising it continually is totally pointless.

As for the Soccerhell reply, well, that sums up just how amateur this 'company' are.

However, they do appear to have removed the t-shirt from their site. It should have never been there to start with, but better late than never I suppose.

It is interesting how they complain about the Rangers fan's complaining yet are happy to make money of out the bad taste merchandise they sell.

No doubt though that they will lose a packet over this as many Rangers fans now refuse to use their site. It will be a matter of time before they offend the other half of the OF in a similar way and if Celtic also boycott them, then business won't be good.

• SI Staff

Heh, nice rumour on Follow Follow that Gattuso is coming back to Rangers in a couple of years time. Always known he'd be back one day as his wife wants to return to Glasgow. Didn't think it would be so soon though. icon_wink.gif

*pinch of salt*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

I know Dick Campbell could be doing with a decent holding player at Firhill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clyde, Spartans and Alloa seem to be the in form teams... icon_wink.gif

Archived