The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Never mind that... Bernard injured, YAS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame, I wanted to see him play pishly again.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ALAN CURBS RANGERS TALK

Charlton manager Alan Curbishley insists speculation linking him with Rangers is disrespectful to current Ibrox boss Alex McLeish - and insists he still has unfinished business at Charlton.

McLeish has come under increasing pressure after the Glasgow giants' disappointing start to the season, which has left them 12 points behind Celtic and Hearts in the SPL and with only two wins from their last 11 outings.

Rangers chairman David Murray has stressed no-one has been offered the job and hopes McLeish can do enough to remain at Ibrox, although he admitted plans were in place on "what route we'd go down" should the Scot be sacked.

Curbishley, 48, has been touted as potential successor but he said he has nothing other than the fortunes of the south-east London club on his mind.

"I find it disrespectful to Alex McLeish, what is going on at the moment," the Charlton manager said.

"People are talking about Rangers - but you will not hear anything from me about that or from anybody else.

"I think it is all press at the moment and if you answer it you are in trouble, if you don't answer it, people can put what they want.

"At the moment, for me, I just get on with what I do."

Curbishley added: "I spoke to Richard Murray (Charlton chairman). He has heard nothing, I have heard nothing and at the moment, that is it.

"I am the Charlton manager and I am looking forward to playing Manchester United on Saturday."

Curbishley is in his 15th season with the Addicks, having overseen their transformation from a homeless club with an uncertain future into one established among the elite of English football and boasting a squad full of internationals.

Only United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and Crewe's Dario Gradi have been in their current positions longer than Curbishley, who agreed a new three-and-a-half year contract during February 2004.

Talks with his chairman over extending that deal are set to resume in the new year and the Charlton manager maintains he is still as enthusiastic as ever.

"For me, I am happy," he said. "I run the club my own way and do not get any interference. Richard is the sort of chairman who likes that. He delegates people and they get on with it.

"I have not really thought about anything else other than doing as well as I can this season.

"They are talking about extending the stadium's capacity, so that can only make us stronger.

"As long as I can see us improving, for me, I am happy here."

Following last season's disappointing 4-0 home defeat by Manchester United at the start of May, Curbishley mused in a television interview: "Maybe I've been here too long, I don't know" - before then turning his attentions to the task of rebuilding the Addicks squad over the summer.

He went about the task with some vigour, recruiting the likes of England squad man Darren Bent and on-loan Chelsea midfielder Alexei Smertin.

And the Charlton boss maintains when he finally does decide to call it a day with the club he will be able to leave with his head held high.

"If someone walks in here now as manager of Charlton, they walk into a proper football club," said Curbishley, whose side are currently eighth in the table.

"I have always said if this club becomes a 35,000 all-seater stadium and we are an established Premiership club then I would be hugely proud."

Curbishley continued: "Fifteen years is a long time. If I get to the stage where I drive in and think I would rather be somewhere else, that this is no good for me, no good for the club - but I have not got to that stage." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An interesting read, could be a serious contender.

• SI Staff

I would go with this team tomorrow...

Klos (GK)

Hutton (DR)

Murray (DL)

Kyrgiakos (DC)

Andrews (DC)

Ferguson (MC)

Hemdani (MC)

Ricksen (MC)

Burke (AM RL)

Lovenkrands (FLC)

Prso (S C)

• SI Staff

Hemdani is available and Soti is on the Rangers website saying he can't wait to make up for his red card.

Lovenkrands can be dangerous through the middle if he gets his finger out.

Speaking of the Danish 'wing-wizard'...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lovenkrands looking for move

Peter Lovenkrands has confirmed that he is likely to leave Rangers.

The Danish international has had to deal with a substantial amount of criticism from the Scottish media who have blamed him for The Gers' poor start to the season.

Lovenkrands is unhappy at being made the scapegoat and has revealed he will look to move on.

"Some should get the blame for the problems at Rangers and I am apparently one of the easy targets," said the Danish flyer.

"I am getting tired of that. It will probably be best for my career to move."

The 25-year-old's agent also disclosed his client's plans.

"I can confirm that there is English and Spanish interest in Peter Lovenkrands," said Ivan Marco Benes to Forza.

"But I don't wish to name the clubs."

If the attacking midfielder does decide to leave Ibrox, it has been rumoured that Middlesbrough and Liga side Osasuna are in line for his signature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Source

A transfer to Baghdad FC would do me nicely thanks. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GP1873:

How many times have we heard people say Lovenkrands can be dangerous? He's *****, he's done nothing. I just wish he would GTF!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But the potential for a half-decent player is there, particularly if played in his preffered position. The ability's there, to a certain extent, just not the commitment, drive or enthusiasm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GP1873:

How many times have we heard people say Lovenkrands can be dangerous? He's *****, he's done nothing. I just wish he would GTF!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely agree, I know he maybe doesnt get a lot of service on the left wing, but everytime I see him, he just looks uninterested. The game against Celtic he was void of service, but even if he did get the ball, I reckon he'd have been beaten to it by Telfer probably anyway

He's probably thinking of getting a move to the Premiership in the summer, lets hope it's somebody in the Conference who is interested cause that's his level, and as much as I believe he's not a winger, he still does pish all compared to Dado who is usually left to play in a position that he's not used to

He even seems to have lost a bit of pace as well which doesnt help him in any way, but like you said McD & TM, he just looks uninterested. You could stick any player on the left wing rather than Lovenkrands and I bet you would get more out of them.

You could stick any player on the left wing rather than Lovenkrands and I bet you would get more out of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye mate, we have two young players in N'Guessan and Adam who could be given a chance on the left. Pity we have a manager so reluctant to give our younger players a chance.

HES A FECKING FORWARD. HES NEVER BEEN OR NEVER WILL BE A LEFT MID OR WINGER. Just because he has pace doesnt mean hes a winger or wide midfeilder. People seem to have a problem getting there heads round this, its like asking any other player to play out of position.

We all saw the difference in Craig Moore when he was moved to center defence from left back.

There seems to be a problem in scotland, particulalrly at grass roots level where the thinking goes - if he has pace, he is best on in the wide areas. No wonder we produce so many woefully slow center backs.

Just got in and looked at the score thankfully I was out icon_biggrin.gif, thank god this is not the Celtic of a few years ago or it would be a lot worse.

Laughingly he’ll still be in job tomorrow. The way he’s treated klos for starters, the best goalie in Scotland and we bench him. And what the deal with Lovenkrands is Alex trying to prove we are all wrong and he’s actually the next Ryan Gigg’s. He not he worse than a man down.

Roll on the new Manager because you just know he can’t be any worse tactically and I say that with respect of Alex and his seven trophies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sav112:

Just got in and looked at the score thankfully I was out icon_biggrin.gif, thank god this is not the Celtic of a few years ago or it would be a lot worse.

Laughingly he’ll still be in job tomorrow. The way he’s treated klos for starters, the best goalie in Scotland and we bench him. And what the deal with Lovenkrands is Alex trying to prove we are all wrong and he’s actually the next Ryan Gigg’s. He's not he's worse than a man down.

Roll on the new Manager because you just know he can’t be any worse tactically and I say that with respect of Alex and his seven trophies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

said this in the Celtic/Gers match thread, but might as well mention it here:

please just go now Eck, if you have a shred of diginity, just go and leave us

it's not completely his fault though, too many players are hiding and Celtic are playing some good stuff, deserving their victory which could have been more if I'm honest

I reckon the "stay of execution" has been cause Murray didnt reckon any new man could do anything against Celtic/Hibs/Porto, so it will be a new manager for the game against Falkirk on December 3rd I reckon, hoping for a win will be Murray

Porto are probably pulling themselves off in delight and no Dado as well, it's all sunshine at Ibrox icon14.gif

I'm just sickened, I knew we wouldnt win today, but to see a team without fight is just terrible to see

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why should he resign? Would you walk out on an estimated £850,000 pay-off?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gohutchy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why should he resign? Would you walk out on an estimated £850,000 pay-off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know he wont, but I have 1% hope he will

it's not completely his fault though, too many players are hiding and Celtic are playing some good stuff, deserving their victory which could have been more if I'm honest

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He said this morning he's lost some of the dressing room, as soon as that happens theres only one way things can go IMO, and the no-performances of the likes of Ricksen can be taken as a message to many about how he feels abotu our current manager.

As I said in the other thread, the Chairman, by his actual giving to McLeish three more games when the whole world knew that the guy was clueless, surely now has to consider his own position.

Ok sure, the players are the guys who are supposed to do the job on the pitch - which clearly for whatever reason they are not doing. The manager is the guy who picks and motivates the players - which clearly he is not doing, cannot do and really should not have a job as manager of Rangers Football Club any more. But as the Chairman is the one who for whatever reason - and he might well feel he has a good reason that evades us all - has decided that McLeish could have more time, when quite clearly his time was more than up.

Perhaps though Murray has decided to just write this season off as I said before, and take his time to find the right man for the job. The problem is though that the chances of us even getting into the inter toto are slipping further and further away.

Perhaps he just doesnt care anymore.

• SI Staff

I thought we were playing alright until we gifted Celtic their first goal. From then it was always going to be hard and we suffered from it.

Too many stupid balls given away and it said it all when Celtic had three shots on goal and had three goals.

I thought Prso looked a bit pish today and wasn't as hard working as usual and I thought Ferguson was excellent. We're going to struggle without Dado up front if he's out for a while. Jeffers movement was good but that's just not good enough. We need someone who is going to put the ball in the net.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gohutchy:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why should he resign? Would you walk out on an estimated £850,000 pay-off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know he wont, but I have 1% hope he will </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He'd be a muppet to resign. And lose out on £850k?

Eck has always said judge him on his team not the one he inherited. Well going by Eck’s transfers he looks as if he has no game plan. Talk about putting square pegs in round holes.

It’s amateur Hour, clearly with that signing of that over the hill Italian that never even played. I celebrated and cheered him on with the best of us when last year he won the League and I consider that on Merit, he dragged a team that should have conceded the title was lost and won and out played Celtic in the last games.

But I think most have questioned why he plays players out of position, formations that don’t suit or style of play and then there is that guy down the left wing that he plays week in week out.

So Mr Murray we expect his last game to be Hib’s, anything else make you out to be a joke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hagi [romania kick ass]:

HES A FECKING FORWARD. HES NEVER BEEN OR NEVER WILL BE A LEFT MID OR WINGER. Just because he has pace doesnt mean hes a winger or wide midfeilder. People seem to have a problem getting there heads round this, its like asking any other player to play out of position.

We all saw the difference in Craig Moore when he was moved to center defence from left back.

There seems to be a problem in scotland, particulalrly at grass roots level where the thinking goes - if he has pace, he is best on in the wide areas. No wonder we produce so many woefully slow center backs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is no centre forward either!! hes pish, simple.

I wonder if McLeish plays players out of position on purpose to prove what a great tactician he is? And by the same token refuses to drop donkeys like Lovenkrands. Just something he said after winning the title last season and has repeated since about how the people who critize him don't understand tactics. Erm, yes we do Alex, we all can see it, its you that cannae.

Says in one of the papers today that Le Guen is the next manager, but I will wait and see what actually happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Le Guen would be great, but meh it will probably be Craig Broon or someone equally mince.

Le Guen would probably be a breath of fresh air as it’s gone too stale at Ibrox. The players know it as well that Eck is tactically very poor.

It’s As if he magically can play players anywhere he likes just to get them on the park

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tomorrow's Record has Le Guen being named in the next few days </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's true then we'll not hear anything official until at least after we get pumped by Porto

Yep, whoever comes in, Frankie more or less documented the timescale of events on the previous page.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Eck is effectively the caretaker manager.

He won't be manager for much longer, no matter the results in the next few weeks. I'd rather he was moved on now but I can understand why we may have to wait.

The new guy most probably doesn't want to come in and potentially lose to Celtic and Porto. This would get his tenure off to a bad start and some fans would write him off already.

It makes some sense for the new guy to wait a wee bit before joining officially. In the meantime, he'll hopefully be monitoring the team and deciding which players he'll be keeping or moving on when the January transfer window opens.

I'm glad Murray is taking a bit of time over this. The choice of the next Rangers manager will be the most important decision he's ever taken during his 17 years as chairman. He dare not get it wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought we actually did OK for periods on Saturday.

We were certainly the best team in the first half and if it wasn't for the same old story of awful finishing and giving away cheap goals, the game wouldn't have been over by the hour mark.

Very disappointing to lose these games as Celtic are nothing more than ordinary. However what does that make us?

The league has gone for this year, but if we can get le Guen in over the next couple of weeks, I actually feel very bouyant about the future. He's the best manager available right now and has experience of working with a tight budget and producing good results at home and in Europe.

If we can get him then Murray has to be applauded. The next few questions will then be which players follow Eck out of the door, how much money Murray will provide for the new guy and if it is le Guen, how long can we keep him in Scotland?

I'm curious to know....does Le Guen speak any english now? I know he never used to.

Would be a very good capture for you guys, but again always reservations about how long a so highly sought after coach like that would stay regardless of contracts etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Nice:

I'm curious to know....does Le Guen speak any english now? I know he never used to.

Would be a very good capture for you guys, but again always reservations about how long a so highly sought after coach like that would stay regardless of contracts etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have heard people say he speaks little English

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Le Guen ruled out of Rangers job

Paul Le Guen rejected a new contract with Lyon

Former Lyon coach Paul Le Guen is no longer in the running to be Alex McLeish's successor at Rangers, BBC Sport understands.

The current Rangers boss will be in the dugout for Wednesday's Champions League meeting with Porto.

While he could still survive at least until the start of December, there had been contact with Le Guen's agent.

But it is believed that Le Guen will be joining another club at the end of the season, with Real Madrid favourites.

Sources in France suggest that the Frenchman has been lined up as the successor to Wanderley Luxemburgo should the Brazilian leave the Spanish giants.

Rangers chairman David Murray had targeted Le Guen as his favoured choice.

Murray last week gave McLeish until the start of December to turn around a disappointing start to the season.

But that was followed by a 3-0 defeat by SPL leaders Celtic that left the reigning champions 15 points adrift in the Scottish Premier League.

McLeish could save Rangers' season - and his own job - with victory in Portugal as the Glasgow club attempt to qualify from the group stages of the Champions League.

But Murray has made it clear that he is making contingency plans and Le Guen emerged as his favoured option ahead of the much-touted Charlton Athletic manager, Alan Curbishley.

Le Guen admitted on French television that he knew Rangers were looking for a coach but would not be drawn further on the matter.

Agent Frederic Guerra said: "I cannot say anything. Like doctors, we have professional confidentiality.

"I cannot say that he will not be the next manager of Rangers, but neither can I say that he will be the next manager of Rangers.

"The situation at the moment is Paul now works for television, but who knows what is around the corner?

"He wants to return to coaching, but I cannot say when at this moment in time.

"It is also possible he could return to coaching in Scotland, but there are many possibilities.

"He could go to Rangers, Locomotiv Moscow or elsewhere. I just don't know."

The 44-year-old Le Guen, who guided Lyon to three straight titles, has rejected several offers from clubs around Europe, saying he intends remaining a French television football pundit until the end of the season.

He had quit as Lyon coach in Lyon in May, despite having been offered a three-year contract extension.

Le Guen previously coached Stade Rennes between 1998 and 2001, joining Lyon after the club had claimed the first title in their history in 2002. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shock horror.

not saying anything at all until it's completely confirmed he's not going to come here, I bet the "understanding" is Chick Young guessing and saying he has an "exclusive"

Ottmar will probably go to Real over Le Guen I reckon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by San Starko:

According to the BBC Le Guen has been ruled out of the Rangers job. He's been lined up to take over at Real Madrid at the end of the season.

linky </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont believe the BBC, they have nothing to base their thoughts on. le Guen hasnt came out and ruled himself out of the position.

Was quoted on french TV (Canel+) earlier today saying something along the lines of

"There has been contact. When it's more serious, you won't be the last to know."

The Beeb just want to be able to say "We told you so" if he turns the post down.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Everyone else unable to get onto FF tonight?

Something to do with the BBC story, perchance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if it is its a ****ing disgrace. compare the cartoon, a parody of south park, to the pro-IRA stuff all over COTH!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fozza:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

if it is its a ****ing disgrace. compare the cartoon, a parody of south park, to the pro-IRA stuff all over COTH! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well COTH's down too so who knows? Could just be a general problem with FootyMad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fozza:

if it is its a ****ing disgrace. compare the cartoon, a parody of south park, to the pro-IRA stuff all over COTH! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

disgrace? don't you think you're being a tad over the top considering the fuss kicked up on here over alleged death threats last week?

Archived