The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

Utter garbage once again!

How the hell did we not get a goal?

Why play Namouchi when he clearly doesnt have the ability?

Why play Ricksen at right back when he is clearly better in midfield? stick Fanfan in at right back until Hutton is back.

Why is Stevie Thompson still at Rangers? He's absolute pish!

New players needed in January, new managment team needed NOW!

Answers on a postcard please...

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colin14:

Gullit, Ranieri, The Laudrups, Hiddink, Alex Miller anyone please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alex Miller?! icon_frown.gif

We couldn't get any of the others.

In the second half they narrowed down the game and we never ever looked like threatening them, least of all down the flanks where Lovenkrands did his usual vanishing act after flattering to deceive in the first half.

However we're really not that far off in my opinion. Now that Rodriguez (I will not call him J-Rod, it sounds far too gay) is coming on to a game him and Soti look good, and in midfield Hemdani looks sheer class and will help out Ferguson so the spine of the team is a solid one. We need someone to play midfield or in behind the front men who can offer a wee bit of sparkle, creativity and unpredictability, as well as an out and out finisher to play off Prso (although maybe some of Novo's critics will now be starting to give him a bit more credit....).

Can't be too hard on McLeish tonight either if you ask me. We did everything but score in the first half and it's not his fault if guys can't finish one on ones, and the injuries in the second half restricted his capacity to make tactical substitutions when the pattern of the game changed after half time.

i thought we done enough to beat them but just did'nt have the quality to finish them off, would'nt blame the result on MacLeish as i think he did ok with his tactics (no really!)

All we missed today was the killer touch, we dominated and made enough chances, Prso, Nieto and Namouchi all missed good oppertuinities.

thought we were pretty solid at the back too as Artmedia never really forced the mullet into mroe than 1-2 saves.

i dont think its all doom and gloom tbh, ok so we should've won but we're a few men down and didn't do anything particularly wrong

personally the only mistake i think mcleish made was leaving namouchi on so ****ing long, and i would've possibly brought on mccomack instead of burke being that he can seemingly put the ball in the net

most of the team is looking fairly solid as haz says, j-rod and soti are settling together, bernard seems a bit more of a player and hemdani looks great, the problems are really that without buffel there's no creativity and without someone like novo (or possibly nieto - obv he was unlucky to go off), prso has to do everything on his own up top, which is useless if all he's getting is high balls

hopefully we can get someone slotted in at right back to move ricksen forward into midfield and namouchi can bugger off

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Nice:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atvkwkad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Nice:

great result against that pub team icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

improvement on 0-5? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dunno, we'll find out when they play in Bratislava </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was told it was the away game tonight icon_biggrin.gificon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

In the second half they narrowed down the game and we never ever looked like threatening them, least of all down the flanks where Lovenkrands did his usual vanishing act after flattering to deceive in the first half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not exactly Lovenkrands' biggest fan, but he didn't put a foot wrong tonight. He 'vanished' in the second half when we resorted to the long ball, but the few times he did get the ball into feet he was at least willing to run at them and get a cross in. The only poor performances for me tonight were Namouchi and Thompson.

A game of 2 halves which was a mirror image of the Utd game on Sunday.

Totally dominated the play and had some good chances. Just couldn't finish them off unfortunately. Our play in the first half especially was much better than of late but it was so disheartening to see us resort to long, aimless balls in the second half.

We simply ran out of ideas and the coach doesn't have a clue how to change games when things aren't working. The fans and players started to panic too early even although Artmedia presented no danger at all. If we continued to keep the ball on the deck we would have created more than pointless long balls to Prso, who isn't really a target man per se.

As for individual performances, Namouchi and Lovenkrands were reasonable in the first half, but aren't good enough to rely on for 90mins. The defence were solid and J-Rod appears to be strong but has the occassional lapse which spoils his game. The full backs were OK, but don't have enough quality in their distribution. Ferguson and Hemdani controlled the game, and Hemdani certainly looks as if he could become a very important player. Up front Prso, Thompson and Nieto all played in patches and all could have scored but we couldn't buy a goal just now.

We are playing better, but it's just taking too long to come together fully. That's the frustrating part as we cannot afford to drop points in games like the last 2 where we should be winning. The away game in Brats is crucial now. We can go and win there, but it won't be easy as they've been generally excellent at home. With the group now so tight, we've missed a great chance to qualify. We might not get another one.

Indeed, we might struggle to finish 3rd now. And if we don't, the manager must take the overall blame and leave.

• SI Staff

Well that was baws. That team are terrible and how we didn't win that game I don't know. Certainly had enough fecking chances.

Did anyone see the two runs Lovenkrands had through the middle and how dangerous he looked when running at people? Totally wasted out wide but no matter how many times you say it it's not going to change.

I was pleased with the Ferguson/Hemdani partnership though and how Ferguson was getting forward. That was really good but when playing a midfield four it would be nice if the wide players were actually capable of crossing the ball icon_frown.gif

Something has to change though. Whether it's the manager going or him giving the team a royal kick up the arse I do not care, as long as we start getting results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrFootballMan:

@Spiderman, that was never a penalty in a million years, he threw himself over the players leg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at the game and at the opposite end of the stadium so can't really comment. It certainly looked a decent shout from there though...

From what I heard on the radio afterwards the pundits all thought there was contact but it might have been a soft award. They also reckoned Prso was harshly booked as a result.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

There was certainly contact </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you there last night. I thought I seen you outside the Stadium Bar...?

Had a good laugh before the game with some Slovakian fans who we had a drink with. They were having the time of their lives they said.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Were you there last night. I thought I seen you outside the Stadium Bar...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, unfortunately I wasn't there last night. Was at the London Supporters Club though, and they really need to sort out the sound in there icon_mad.gif

Good to see David Edgar fromt the RST on Reporting Scotland last night standing up for our fans as the Scottish Parliament prepare to fast track another Bill relating to football fans.

You can see this via this BBC link; it's about half-way through the programme and is something all fans should be concerned about.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/default.stm

No coincidence that the RST were the only fans' body (from an club) invited on the show.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

It would have been a very soft penalty. There may have been a tiny bit of contact but Prso flung himself down far too dramatically and we can really do without that sort of thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true, i think Prso should be told to drop this kind of thing, its disgusting

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Good to see David Edgar fromt the RST on Reporting Scotland last night standing up for our fans as the Scottish Parliament prepare to fast track another Bill relating to football fans.

You can see this via this BBC link; it's about half-way through the programme and is something all fans should be concerned about.

No coincidence that the RST were the only fans' body (from an club) invited on the show. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye he is probably a Gers fans.

Rangers will never stamp out bigotry...nor will their twin over in the East.

Both a deluded bunch of idiots with chairman who say they are stamping out bigotry with great success. Eh Murray do you remember the Inter game? That wasn't even the wee ned fans that was all the rich boys with shares in the club!

Rangers and Celtic always harp on about wanting to get out of Scotland. Aye stick Celtic in Ireland and punt Rangers into the English Conference and finally we can have a decent SPL.

Oh and finally you are beginning to find out how ***** a manager McLeish is....He destroyed our Motherwell team in about 2 years. Top 3 contenders to relegation fodder. He is now doing that to your mob.

Nae Luck...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnstop:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

No coincidence that the RST were the only fans' body (from an club) invited on the show. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye he is probably a Gers fans.

Rangers will never stamp out bigotry...nor will their twin over in the East.

Both a deluded bunch of idiots with chairman who say they are stamping out bigotry with great success. Eh Murray do you remember the Inter game? That wasn't even the wee ned fans that was all the rich boys with shares in the club!

Rangers and Celtic always harp on about wanting to get out of Scotland. Aye stick Celtic in Ireland and punt Rangers into the English Conference and finally we can have a decent SPL.

Oh and finally you are beginning to find out how ***** a manager McLeish is....He destroyed our Motherwell team in about 2 years. Top 3 contenders to relegation fodder. He is now doing that to your mob.

Nae Luck... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Of course he's a Gers fan. He's the RST media rep...

Stamping our bigotry may be a difficult challenge, maybe impossible, but at least give certain people a bit of credit for trying. I do agree with you that more could and should be done from all sides.

However, what was chanted at the Inter game (not necessarily by shareholders but by some fans who sneaked in) is open to debate. I heard Derry Walls being sung, but I'm pretty sure that songs isn't sectarian in nature.

And Rangers haven't harped on about leaving the SPL for a long time. We wish to remain in Scotland.

I do agree with you regarding McLeish... icon_wink.gif

Of course he's a Gers fan. He's the RST media rep...

Stamping our bigotry may be a difficult challenge, maybe impossible, but at least give certain people a bit of credit for trying. I do agree with you that more could and should be done from all sides.

However, what was chanted at the Inter game (not necessarily by shareholders but by some fans who sneaked in) is open to debate. I heard Derry Walls being sung, but I'm pretty sure that songs isn't sectarian in nature.

And Rangers haven't harped on about leaving the SPL for a long time. We wish to remain in Scotland.

I do agree with you regarding McLeish... icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok sorry I mis read your post.

But you have to admit that Murray banging on about how good things are stinks.

He still plays all that pap before the games(Dambusters etc). Your away strip looks very much like a strip south of the border and still you hear the songs at match after match.

They will be holding up Show racism the red card at Ibrox on Saturday...maybe they should be holding a different one, but I suppose that would annoy to many people.

Yep McLeish destroyed a really good Motherwell side. He then took an excellent Hibs side to near relagation. Do you know why?

All down to utter gash singings.

I feel sorry for the youngsters at Rangers. There they are busting a gut week in week out (take McCormack for example) only for yer big fud of a manager to sign Jeffers and some Argentine....to plug the forward gap.

Did McCormack not score loads in the friendly games? Poor guy will be away soon just like the rest of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnstop:

Who The F**K?

or

What The F**K?

Am I. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd guess just another fan who has has nothing constructive to say.

I hear plenty of people bleating on about our problems, but none have much to say about why they might happen or how we could go about getting rid of them.

One-sided, inaccurate newspaper 'reports' and pointless message-board posts do nothing to help this disease which is but a sympton of a wider-ranging social problem.

He still plays all that pap before the games(Dambusters etc). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you'll be glad to know then we have stoped playing those well known bigoted anthems "Let me entertain you" by Robbie Williams and "Don't stop me now" by Queen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

He still plays all that pap before the games(Dambusters etc). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you'll be glad to know then we have stoped playing those well known bigoted anthems "Let me entertain you" by Robbie Williams and "Don't stop me now" by Queen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thinly-veiled bigotry, surely?

Ok sorry I mis read your post.

He still plays all that pap before the games(Dambusters etc). Your away strip looks very much like a strip south of the border and still you hear the songs at match after match.

They will be holding up Show racism the red card at Ibrox on Saturday...maybe they should be holding a different one, but I suppose that would annoy to many people.

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it doesn't stink, because things are improving. Arrests are down and I can assure you that at Ibrox, these type of songs are hardly every sung anymore. Certain songs are imbibed with crap but it's far from a majority that do this. At Old Firm games, it is a majority though and as I've said before the authorities and the clubs should do more to stop it.

What's the problem with the 'pap' before games? Is the bagpipes section pap?

There is nothing wrong with the away strip. It red and white, the same colours we've used since we started for our strips. Of course it will be similar to the England strip. It was white last year but this year because it's got a stripe the complaints seem louder.

Surely, people have better things to do with your life instead of going on about Dambusters themes and red stripes...?

Agree with your McLeish comments though which are far more constructive and interesting than your emperical view of our bigotry problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Puzzles me that you are so concerned with our team's/manager's failings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cos young scottish players are being wasted due to one of the worst managers to grace our game.

Its bad for scottish football and the national game.

Look how every other team in Scotland is producing very promising young players. Hibs, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen.

Rangers I don't think have given Scottish football one good scottish player since Ferguson, which for a team with their facilities is nothing short of shocking.

The old firm constantly live on a quick fix to keep their fans happy - if they did what Ajax did they would be in a superb position, but that will never happen.

Rangers I don't think have given Scottish football one good scottish player since Ferguson, which for a team with their facilities is nothing short of shocking.

The old firm constantly live on a quick fix to keep their fans happy - if they did what Ajax did they would be in a superb position, but that will never happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, we have had a few over the years. Lately, because of the reliance on over-rated foreign players, our impact on the Scottish team has been reduced to the likes of bit-part players like McCann, Ross and Thompson.

However, we do have a lot of good up and coming players like Hutton, Lowing, Agnew, Adam and Gimour who could all go onto play for their country.

However, like you say, it's debatable whether or not they'll get the chance at Ibrox. However, plenty of fans, especially those in the RST are looking for the club to do more in terms of long term planning vis a vis our Youth.

Indeed, the Scottish under 16 team has 9 Rangers players in it which is a record for that age group. So, that is certainly positive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Puzzles me that you are so concerned with our team's/manager's failings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cos young scottish players are being wasted due to one of the worst managers to grace our game.

Look how every other team in Scotland is producing very promising young players. Hibs, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen.

The old firm constantly live on a quick fix to keep their fans happy - if they did what Ajax did they would be in a superb position, but that will never happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Irrespective of how well or badly our youth system is working for Rangers, I'm very sceptical of this arguement that the OF are at the root of the national sides troubles, due to their over-reliance on foreigners. That's a very easy and lazy route to take.

All SPL sides (and beyond) are overloaded with imports - like it or not, its part of the modern game. The Ajax team you speak about, and the 90's Man U team are very, very rare things.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deerokus:

why do guys like this always lump celtic and rangers in as the same thing?

i despise that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its true though. Paul Telfer?

Irrespective of how well or badly our youth system is working for Rangers, I'm very sceptical of this arguement that the OF are at the root of the national sides troubles, due to their over-reliance on foreigners. That's a very easy and lazy route to take.

All SPL sides (and beyond) are overloaded with imports - like it or not, its part of the modern game. The Ajax team you speak about, and the 90's Man U team are very, very rare things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes SPL team used to be full of imports but not anymore. Hibs, Motherwell and Aberdeen have a high ratio of Scottish players.

It really comes down to money. If you have it you can and almost have to buy in the better forgien imports, but like Motherwell, Aberdeen etc who have no money they rely on their youth systems which seems to be working really well.

What I am saying is if Rangers did they same then they could be in a much stronger position, but they insist on bringing loan imports who are rubbish.

Look at Hearts for example - a bit of money and they have filled their team with Loan players. All the Hearts fans are singing and dancing about how great their team is! Its not even their team! Crash and burn I think.

Celtic to be fair are making in-roads on their youth policy by playing Maloney, Beattie and McManus, but so much more could be done.

As for the Rangers youth setup - fair enough, but like you say how many of these players will grace the first team? Not many I would think.

The clubs below the old firm are more and more becoming the future of scottish football.

The lack of money in Scottish football means that not only the so-called smaller teams will resort to less foreign imports, but the game will come full circle and we'll all be back to using young Scottish players more.

IMO, it's no coincidence that Hibs, Aberdeen and Motherwell have improved since they went back to mainly Scottish players.

With the new FIFA directive regarding home-grown players taking effect in 2008, the Old Firm will have to sign less foreign players.

Yes SPL team used to be full of imports but not anymore. Hibs, Motherwell and Aberdeen have a high ratio of Scottish players.

It really comes down to money. If you have it you can and almost have to buy in the better forgien imports, but like Motherwell, Aberdeen etc who have no money they rely on their youth systems which seems to be working really well.

What I am saying is if Rangers did they same then they could be in a much stronger position, but they insist on bringing loan imports who are rubbish.

Look at Hearts for example - a bit of money and they have filled their team with Loan players. All the Hearts fans are singing and dancing about how great their team is! Its not even their team! Crash and burn I think.

Celtic to be fair are making in-roads on their youth policy by playing Maloney, Beattie and McManus, but so much more could be done.

As for the Rangers youth setup - fair enough, but like you say how many of these players will grace the first team? Not many I would think.

The clubs below the old firm are more and more becoming the future of scottish football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look bud, I, like most Rangers supporters, would like to see my team full of young talented Scots. I think most would agree also that Murray Park's perhaps not reaped as much success as we would have hoped as yet. In the 21st century however, that's an idealist's view and not a realist's. Fair enough.

It's your implication that Rangers are the big bad wolf as regards the Scottish game as a whole that I disagree with. That's very narrow-minded. We naturally have our own agenda to succeed, but I don't think that includes a concerted undermining of the Scottish game. You're not taking into account the long-term underfunding of the Scottish game, particularly at grass-roots level, the dubious league and power structures, and maybe also the hard fact that, with more and more talented nations emerging, we should be setting our sights a little lower than the 'glory years' of the 60s and 70s. It goes far wider than Ross McCormack not getting a game.

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? In the past 2-3 years we've brought in Marshall, Kennedy, McManus, Beattie, Maloney and a young turn-coat in McGeady. That's 6 players either in the first team or just on the fringes when fit. Much as we would all like to have every team full of Scots, it's not viable as the talent pool simply isn't good enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ginnybob:

Whoever it was who was saying Maurice Ross was crap, well done. The arrogant **** has demanded first team football and has been trialled out to Wolves already. He's only played 2 games, but tbf, he's no loss. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye hes a top grade fanny

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deerokus:

why do guys like this always lump celtic and rangers in as the same thing?

i despise that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its true though. Paul Telfer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey at least he's scottish isn't he? icon_biggrin.gif

celtic probably have the best youth system in scotland, NOW. was awful for a long time. which isn't saying much to be fair - it'll pay off in a few years. mpst of these 'GREAT' hibs, motherwell whoever players haven't been and aren't gonna be very succesful at international level.

anyway how many scottish team have enabled young scottish players to play in uefa cup finals recently?

i do wish we'd give pearson more of a chance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ginnybob:

Whoever it was who was saying Maurice Ross was crap, well done. The arrogant **** has demanded first team football and has been trialled out to Wolves already. He's only played 2 games, but tbf, he's no loss. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye hes a top grade fanny </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But the fact he's demanding first team football even though when he has played he's been crap. Good riddance, can do without bigheaded jackasses like him causing trouble.

Archived