The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First game I've managed to get to this season... at it was that! icon_biggrin.gificon_frown.gif

Naw, thought we were OK in patches, but our lack of creativity is quite apparent. Rodriguez and Soti played well enough, but both have to cut out silly mistakes and niggles.

Hemdani looked assured enough, lacking pace a bit. Hopes that his prescence will allow Ferguson to get forward more seem exaggerated at the moment.

Lovenkrands was utterly anonymous again - how much money he scores two and plays a blinder on Wednesday night?

Prso ran his heart out and was our biggest threat, but credit to United and their resillience. Stillie looks shocking though. icon_biggrin.gif

Still underwhelmed and unconvinced by Jeffers though. Don't like the new strip either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

Careful Ade, these things have a habit of jumping up and biting you in the arse </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed, the start of this season is evidence of that icon_biggrin.gif

this is the simple reason why he shouldnt be Gers manager icon_mad.gif you should not be pleased when you draw a game, if you win a game and perform well, by all means be pleased, but when you run out of ideas and only have your Croatian striker doing anything attacking wise in the 2nd half, you should be annoyed at the other players for not giving him any support

I'm really pleased we are 9pts behind Hearts icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Hearts & Hibs will be 4th and 5th by Christmas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who will be 3rd?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Really now?

Please enlighten me as to who will be in 3rd.

Right were did I put that Video of us winning the title last year, the joy of winning against the odds and the delight that the title was rightly in its place. The look on the Celtic fans faces and the smiles as wide as the Clyde tunnel down Ibrox way.

I just had to check that Rangers could actually play and score sorry. When was the last time we were so poor at finishing and scoring.

Alex need a reality check, it not good enough and its time he emitted it. Its ok he's got a master plan trouble is he wrote it down and lost it.

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

Hearts have choke choke choke written all over them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And why is that?

The fact we went 2-0 down at Falkirk and drew 2-2 with 10 men or when we went down at Celtic Park and immediately equalised?

Perhaps the result we scraped out against Rangers :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

And why is that?

The fact we went 2-0 down at Falkirk and drew 2-2 with 10 men or when we went down at Celtic Park and immediately equalised?

Perhaps the result we scraped out against Rangers :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you've played 10 games (which I guess is now almost everyone in the SPL?)I dont think you've got choke written on you at the moment. I think you'll drop points, but Celtic/Rangers are very likely to do the same especially away from home, I dont think you'd have lost that game against Falkirk if Gordon had been sent off and getting a draw at CP is always an achievement no matter which team you are

it's going to be interesting going into the winter months as that usually tells you who the champions could be

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

And why is that?

Perhaps the result we scraped out against Rangers :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A better team with a better manager choked at Fir park last season.

Really now?

Please enlighten me as to who will be in 3rd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kilmarnock?

No, I meant 3rd & 4th.

Good result today boys icon14.gif

icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expected more of you to jump on this tbh icon_frown.gif

I expected more of you to jump on this tbh icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most have accepted that a draw away to Dundee Utd is as good a result as they could have hoped for right now.

I expected more of you to jump on this tbh icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We just thought you were still p!ssed up from the other night tbh

I though we actually (for the first hour or so anyway) played pretty well. OK, we didn't look that good in the last third and chances were few and far between, but let's give the Utd defence a bit of credit though. They were excellent.

However, while admitting the tactics were mainly OK, the manager still has to take the blame for the continual selection of Lovenkrands and Namouchi, both of whom are luxury players who don't perform often enough for this bear.

Moreover, our set-pieces are absolutely woeful. Doesn't matter if it's a corner, free-kick or even a throw-in, we have no imagination or creativity in the team.

Essentially that's what lost us that game; a complete lack of creativity. And with a team including Burke, Ferguson, Namouchi, Lovenkrands and Prso, that's disappointing.

Postives though were the performance of Hemdani who was superb and I thought the defence were solid for the most part.

Nothing has changed with respect to the league guys, but 2 points were dropped yesterday and I'm sure the manager realises that it's not just performances that matter.

And for those that don't think Hearts will still be there in January, then I think you should open your eyes a wee bit...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

And for those that don't think Hearts will still be there in January, then I think you should open your eyes a wee bit... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They might still be there in January mate, but May is a different story.

I notice they signed Euro 98 relic Fredi Bobic about 4 years too late, its clear Posposil and Jankauskis aint setting any turf on fire.

We'll more than likley be out of Europe too then, possibly the CIS cup so we'll have a level playing field with them, and they will still have to play the unwashed 3 times and us another twice after Xmas..

Eyes wide open m8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I notice they signed Euro 98 relic Fredi Bobic about 4 years too late, its clear Posposil and Jankauskis aint setting any turf on fire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I noticed the Bobic story this morning, but John Colquhoun was saying in Saturday's paper that "Jankauskas was showing signs of being a great signing with the strength he has to get past players" now I dont admit the guy does have strength, but being a striker you surely have to expect goals? Rudi Skacel and Hartley have been putting them in from midfield of course, but surely Jankauskas was bought to score goals?

although watch him score 4 at the weekend cause I've said this

buffel's pretty excellent although i haven't seen him do much for rangers yet.

prso's not the greatest player ever technically and he's pretty slow but he makes up for it with his effort and movement. i'd have him ahead of hartson.

i agree about novo though

Novo's been off the boil this season, but he didn't start last season well either. Hopefully when he returns he'll hit a bit of form again. His pace and hunger were badly missed yesterday.

I've not seen a hell of a lot of Zurawski or the two Hearts forwards, but I'd probably rather stick with Novo other them. He won alot of games for us last year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

so what does eck have to do in november to still be in the job at the turn of the year?

two OF games, and away trips to aberdeen and in the CL right? what'll be par for november? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aberdeen is at home I think as we've already played them at Pittodrie (and lost) - I dont really care about the CIS Cup OF game, ok I dont want to lose it to them, but I'd rather take a loss there and win the league game icon14.gif CL will take care of itself

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Tue 1 A A. Bratislava X

Sat 5 H Aberdeen W

Wed 9 A Celtic L

Sat 19 A Celtic X

Wed 23 A Porto L

Sun 27 A Hibernian W

</pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

imo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Novo's been off the boil this season, but he didn't start last season well either. Hopefully when he returns he'll hit a bit of form again. His pace and hunger were badly missed yesterday.

I've not seen a hell of a lot of Zurawski or the two Hearts forwards, but I'd probably rather stick with Novo other them. He won alot of games for us last year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was comming off the bench at Dens park about this time last year that kick started his season and he went on to haev a good few months before going back off the boil, if he could find the consistency over he season he'd be playing for a bigger club than us

They might still be there in January mate, but May is a different story.

I notice they signed Euro 98 relic Fredi Bobic about 4 years too late, its clear Posposil and Jankauskis aint setting any turf on fire.

We'll more than likley be out of Europe too then, possibly the CIS cup so we'll have a level playing field with them, and they will still have to play the unwashed 3 times and us another twice after Xmas..

Eyes wide open m8 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As ER says, Bobic is a short-term squad signing and a good one at that....

Hearts may or may not win the league this season, but what is clear they are just as capabale as us at this moment in time. Moreover, if their chairman puts his money where his mouth is, then they may well spend more than us in January as well.

There's a good chance we'll still be in Europe by January, but if the gap is still 9 points, that's a huge ask to claw back when we're incapable of beating the smaller teams at home or away.

We're not out of it yet, but if we continue to drop points and be so inconsistent, we could struggle to finish 3rd, never mind above that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

so what does eck have to do in november to still be in the job at the turn of the year?

two OF games, and away trips to aberdeen and in the CL right? what'll be par for november? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aberdeen is at home I think as we've already played them at Pittodrie (and lost) - I dont really care about the CIS Cup OF game, ok I dont want to lose it to them, but I'd rather take a loss there and win the league game icon14.gif CL will take care of itself </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, and the one place we haven't looked too bad this year has been the CL games. Might not be so bad a November after all.

Doing well in the CL is important and it would be great if we managed to qualify for the UEFA Cup at least. Making the 2nd phase of the CL would be even better though.

However, doing well in Europe is all well and good, but if we finish 3rd or 4th in the league, that could be disasterous in the longer term with regard to finances. No European football next season doesn't bear thinking about, so it's imperative we start getting results in the SPL.

I couldn't care less about the CIS cup, but any less than a draw against Celtic at Parkhead in the league could finish our SPL aspirations. Unfortunately, although Celtic have hardly been great themselves and Hearts' long term challenge remains debatable, both of them have 6/9 points of a start.

Unless we start playing well, scoring goals, being more consistent and getting results, the SPL will be beyond us never mind finishing 2nd or 3rd in the CL Group.

Knowing the way things have gone so far we'll probably win in the CIS cup and lose in the league. The good thing about this season so far is, that although we utter pish, the title is still not beyond the bounds of credibility, only takes a few results really. Hearts are doing well, I personally think they can win it but we'll see. Celtic are scraping by because they now have a decent keeper, but having said that they are at least scraping by, at the moment we're not.

The bad thing about this season is that I can see us end 4th or even 5th which simply isn't acceptable, and can forsee a return to the bad old days of the eighties because really as long as we have McLeish as manager can we actually get any better? His signings have rarely set the heather on fire and I would worry about giving him anymore money for fees/wages. And lets face it, other teams are improving, even though you can argue Celtic arent as strong as they were under O'Neil, we certainly aren't any worse than we have been under McLeish and yet you look at the November fixtures and if we're being honest, we could come away from that lot with no wins.

But oh well, mibbe a season of winning nothing will be a good kick up the backside the club needs, you can't win all the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

But oh well, mibbe a season of winning nothing will be a good kick up the backside the club needs, you can't win all the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's definitely true. No club has the right to win every game and every title.

However, not qualifying for Europe would be a financial disaster... Not that I can see that happening mind you, but going on present form under the current manager and board, it's not impossible.

I think we could have a new manager by the start of December. I agree that we played quite well yesterday but football is about goals and we can't just rely on Prso. It will be interesting to see how we play on Wednesday, a good win might just get everything going but we said that about the Porto game.

We need to finish top two at least this season, its still quite possible, we just need to get on run and if we don't Mcleish is gone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

Why a top 2 finish? The prize for finishing third is exactly the same as finishing second (a place in the UEFA cup). I don't see there being a huge difference in prize money too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was only the 1st team in the CL this year as well, but I read that there's still a chance of it being 2 teams...

• SI Staff

In fact we've actually improved on last year. We were 11th in the UEFA Rankings and for this season we're 10th so still get four teams in Europe (2 CL and 2 UC)

they will still have to play the unwashed m8 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't ask people to stop using 'Huns' when similar derogatory like comments are used by Rangers fans. icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jorg:

Sounds like Nieto will partner Prso on Wednesday night, Jeffers has a hamstring injury so will strugle to be fit. That could be the only change from yesterdays team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to hear. Hopefully Nieto will get a run in the side and start scoring some goals.

Archived