The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FRANCIS JEFFERS and Olivier Bernard start for the first time in tonight's Champions League showdown with Porto at Ibrox.

Alex McLeish has made three changes to the team that drew 1-1 with Falkirk on Saturday.

Thomas Buffel, Nacho Novo and Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan drop down to the bench to accommodate the two new recruits while Peter Lovenkrands, a sub at the weekend, gets the nod on the left flank.

Frenchman Bernard will operate on the left side of four-man defence so Ian Murray moves to right back and former Arsenal and Everton hitman Jeffers partners Dado Prso up front.

Prso's international team-mate Tomo Sokota starts for Co Adriaanse's side.

RANGERS: Waterreus; Murray, Rodriguez, Kyrgiakos, Bernard; Ricksen, Ferguson©, Namouchi, Lovenkrands; Prso, Jeffers

Subs: Klos, Fanfan, Andrews, Malcolm, Buffel, Rae, Thompson

PORTO: Baia, Jorginho, Emanuel, Ricardo Costa, Peixoto, Ibson, Pepe, Diego, Lucho Gonzalez, Alan, Sokota

Subs: Ribiero, Quaresma, Lisandro, Assuncao, Sonkaya, Cech, Almeida,

Referee: Jan Wegereef (Holland)

The pressure is obviously clouding McLeish's judgement. Staking his reputation and job on Nachoumi and Lovenkrands is baffling. Granted Buffel can float in and out of games, but he showed the class he possess against Celtic and Famagusta. Madness.

Please prove me wrong.

TBH we've played a million times better than that in Europe and lost. The defending was stunningly crazy, I'm wondering if they weren't looking to get on 'it'll be alright on the night' icon_biggrin.gif

Man that was very very draining, the players though at least didn't give up, kept battling and proved (most) of us wrong. Well done.

Well yeah, I'll take that over a glorious failure all the time thanks. At the end Archie said, they need to improve but tbh if we play like that and win I'll be happy. It wont be good for the heart, but I'll be back on 2-10pm shifts so I wont see it icon_biggrin.gif

I dont know whether to laugh or cry icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Man that was very very draining, the players though at least didn't give up, kept battling and proved (most) of us wrong. Well done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, Eck has done the right thing tonight, but we really need to defend better from corners, Porto will know that when they play us in Portugal and I expect Figo etc can take a corner

We actually deserve that win simply cause Porto spent about half the game on the floor, now I know how Celtic felt with the UEFA Cup Final, bunch of utter cheats icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

Do we have Inter next? Cos Seba Veron got sent off tonight icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the midfielders they've got and signed in the summer, i think thats the last thing you'll need to worry about

be aswell posting this in here as the matchthreads always fade to black

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a good result for you guys tonight but i think it masked your weaknesses somewhat.

first 2 goals were from scrappy looping balls, which were hardly manufactured. Granted, it was a lovely finish from Lovenkrands, but they were somewhat fortutous and more through errors/physical jostling. Dado's goal was ok imo, but he was hardly trying to play the ball himself. Would've been a hrash one if disallowed tbh. The 3rd was a cracking header Thumbs Up

If thats your defending at home then you'll have a tough time away from home. Even the artmedia result showed tonight that it might not be as easy as you guys think at thier patch.

don't get me wrong if it was Celtic i'd be more than happy at beating Porto and all credit to you Thumbs Up Couldn't have asked for a better start really </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Nice:

be aswell posting this in here as the matchthreads always fade to black

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a good result for you guys tonight but i think it masked your weaknesses somewhat.

first 2 goals were from scrappy looping balls, which were hardly manufactured. Granted, it was a lovely finish from Lovenkrands, but they were somewhat fortutous and more through errors/physical jostling. Dado's goal was ok imo, but he was hardly trying to play the ball himself. Would've been a hrash one if disallowed tbh. The 3rd was a cracking header Thumbs Up

If thats your defending at home then you'll have a tough time away from home. Even the artmedia result showed tonight that it might not be as easy as you guys think at thier patch.

don't get me wrong if it was Celtic i'd be more than happy at beating Porto and all credit to you Thumbs Up Couldn't have asked for a better start really </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that. I thought we were very poor at times, was it just me or did we have about six players all following the ball around at various times. Also, the passing was pretty poor but Ferguson kept us going in the 2nd half, was he asking for Namouchi to be taken off?

Jeffers is short of match fitness/practice and needs to sharpen up a bit, not covinced by Rodriguez, I thought Kyrgiakos was very impressive and obviously Dado shone through.

Well happy with the result, it was ugly at times but the crowd showed there worth IBROX was bursting with noise. European nights just can be beaten if your not at the party you missing it big time.

3 points and a nice winners bonus to Rangers and hopefully a moral booster for the league. Dado was fantastic he must be the best player in Scotland right now.

Mind you were still not happy Eck, Falkirk still rings a bell icon_rolleyes.gif but we can enjoy tonight, porto are no mugs. icon14.gif

Good result, excellent start.

I'm not gay, but I fu ing love dado prso.

only sad thing was the public sale arseholes were out in force tonight. friendlies and europe really brings these idiots out. shouting things like FFS Dado, mone your arse etc bloody neds.

but hey 3 points is 3 points.

we are the people

Yeah, great result but not the best performance...

However, I asked for some pride, passion and commitment and we certainly got that in spades. Just some porr defending that let us down. In saying that, their set-pieces were excellent and difficult to defend against. Bring back big Marv!

After a slow start where Porto had lots of possession, we eventually got into the game. Indeed after we scored we played some superb stuff and I thought Jeffers should have a penalty when he was bundled over.

Second half started similar to the first with more good Porto play and it was no surprise when they scored. Our second goal was scrappy as was there's but I was pleasantly surprised that we kept going and scored a fine winner.

The atmosphere was brilliant last night. A poor away support but right from the excellent card display to the final whistile the fans were right behind the team.

More of the same please. But we must remember our bread and butter SPL work is just as important.

icon_smile.gif

Smashing result last night but one that looked unlikely at certain points - I really didn't see that third goal coming!

They were a very good side, pacy and fluid, but I don't think we should give them too much respect for the away tie - they looked quite shaky at the back at times and struggled to handle quick physical attacks, while they were a bit toothless going forward - I think they missed a natural goalscorer like McCarthy. I certainly think they weren't as good a side as the salivating Scotsport commentators/pundits were making out.

As for us, well there was no shortage of effort and passion but it's clear some players are still going to have to raise their game - I've never been won over by Namouchi and Rodriguez seemed at sea alot of the time, too lacksidasical. Andrews has always looked at his best in a Rangers strip when next to a technically better, more composed player - Boumsong or Soti - so I personally would like to see him back next to Soti for Kilmarnock.

The two debutants played well enough - both looked a wee bit off the pace but showed enough to suggest they will be valuable signings. If Jeffers had shown a little bit of sharpness, he might have had a couple. Bernard looked reasonably dangerous on the few times he ventured forward but will have to show more defensive awareness if we persist in playing him at left back.

Prso, Ferguson, Lovenkrands, Soti and Watterus all played well, with Lovenkrands looking as dangerous as I've ever seen him.

As for the points of contention - Prso's clash was clearly accidental and for Alan Curbishley to sit last night and suggest otherwise was ill-judged and unprofessional - very disappointing. Yes, we were lucky with the second goal and I've seen them chopped off for less, but Prso made less contact with the goalkeeper than the defender made with Jeffers in the box in the first half, so what comes around goes around.

All in all, an exciting night, great atmosphere, and rousing performance will help paper over the cracks, but as Frankie says, the SPL should not be sacrificed - Eck should demand that level of commitment for EVERY game.

You know what they say, it's better to be lucky than good. icon_wink.gif

Much as I would like to like Porto just in this group, nah, no chance.

Have to say though, has anyone noticed yet that you concede goals when Marv isn't playing, or that Rodriguez and Fan Fan aren't really very good, so far? Hopefully not Alex McLeish and he's a good candidate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Has anyone noticed yet that ... Rodriguez and Fan Fan aren't really very good, so far? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I think some eagle-eyed people may have spotted that mate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Has anyone noticed yet that ... Rodriguez and Fan Fan aren't really very good, so far? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I think some eagle-eyed people may have spotted that mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone important?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have to say though, has anyone noticed yet that you concede goals when Marv isn't playing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marv would have headed those two corners to the half way line icon_frown.gif

I think it's fair to say that neither J-Rod or Fanfan have looked all that impressive yet.

Fanfan has the excuse of being shuttled about and only playing one game at centre-half. He's certainly not pacey enough to be a good right back nor is his passing good enough for that position.

Certainly Ricksen never looks too comfortable there either but until Hutton comes back, I'd keep him there as he does get forward and has the pace to cope with fast wingers.

J-Rod si quite confusing really. He's not the fastest or tallest of players but apart from a mistake against Famagust I thought he'd been our best defender up until last night. However, there's no doubt he struggles up against pacier players and doesn't look comfortable when the ball is behind him.

Our defensive problems are easy to explain because we've not had a settled defence. However Soti showed again that he's a decent player and if he can make some sort of relationship quickly with one of the other 3 DC's, then he's the man to build the defence upon.

The goals we lost last night were very disappointing but their set pieces were wonderful and very difficult to defend against.

And I wouldn't say we were lucky. We worked hard and although Porto were arguably the better team, our passion and strength paid off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

Anyone know how far away Hutton is from being fit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is seeminlgy going to resume full training very soon...

I'd say a month, maybe less.

Hemdani is the new Dragan I think... icon_frown.gif

I doubt Nieto will get into the team ahead of Prso, Jeffers, Novo and THompson. But depending on injuries and the fact we have so many games means the fringe guys will feature very soon.

I think these fringe players will face Clyde at Ibrox next week.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Hemdani is the new Dragan I think... icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, not looking good is it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I doubt Nieto will get into the team ahead of Prso, Jeffers, Novo and THompson. But depending on injuries and the fact we have so many games means the fringe guys will feature very soon.

I think these fringe players will face Clyde at Ibrox next week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still got Maniero to come in too hopefully. icon14.gif

You know what they say, it's better to be lucky than good. icon_wink.gif

Much as I would like to like Porto just in this group, nah, no chance.

Have to say though, has anyone noticed yet that you concede goals when Marv isn't playing, or that Rodriguez and Fan Fan aren't really very good, so far? Hopefully not Alex McLeish and he's a good candidate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to be fair i don;t think anyone here is claiming the best team onthe day won it, its just refreshing to win a game like that after a couple of similar things happening to us, liek out playing Bayern home and away yet only comming away with a point.

But for all of Portos good play they did'nt really create much from open play, Pepé got away from Namouchi for the first goal (who could'nt get away from Namouchi) and the 2nd goal just bounced in off him, so they did get a break aswell.

Just before our 2nd goal Jeffers was running down the bylineand clearly clipped the ball off a porto player right infront of the linesman and yet porto were awarded the throw, we went on to win the ball and score the 2nd goal, just goes to show how these daft things you think work against you actually don't matter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

just a quick point on jeffers, if he can find the confidence to strike a ball first time he'll be a good players for us, looks to have a good turn of pace good movement and best of all a very neat first touch, he can do well i think </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, he had a decent game last night.

Worked hard, had good control and linked the play well. Had a few half-chances but ball just wouldn't sit up for him to get the shot away.

Should certainly score goals in the SPL at least if he can work on his fitness and sharpness in front of goal.

Tired after about an hour or so but that was to be expected. Should have had a penalty in the first half IMO as well.

Archived