Wallace v Roberts - the striking legends small to big club North v South face-off

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bermybhoy:

Looks a good start. Hope the form continues into the league. What tactics did you use then?

Still going pretty well for the Softies as well, play-offs would be very impressive.

Posted this a week ago, and it was ignored. I wonder why? At a loss as to how using a cheat tactic would seem like a good idea at all.

What are the thoughts on this? NepentheZ in particular because he is down to take over.

I do tend to think we should probably re-do it, as it's completely against the spirit of the whole thing. To be honest I wasn't aware until recently there were any 'game breaking' tactics for this version of the game hence no mention of it in the opening post.

The whole difficulty so far has been taking a team where you might have signed only a handful of the players, and getting them to play a way that you favour that is probably completely different from the last person.

Lesson learned in that people should only really take part if they've been following it and know what's going on.

Firstly, what tactic did he use? I couldn't spot it personally. Although I was a little bemused as to how he could have such a great season.

Secondly, I'm also under the impression there are no "Diablo" tactics for this version, but I am aware of 4 gaps in the AI that can be exploited. If all four are exploited game after game, I'd assume winning would come easy.

If he did straight up download a tactic, whats the problem? Sure, its against morals, but, theres nothing stated in the OP, and its not an actual "cheat" since, the tactic is within the boundaries of the game.

I'll check back to see what he actually used, and let you guys know what I think

Firstly, what tactic did he use? I couldn't spot it personally. Although I was a little bemused as to how he could have such a great season.

Secondly, I'm also under the impression there are no "Diablo" tactics for this version, but I am aware of 4 gaps in the AI that can be exploited. If all four are exploited game after game, I'd assume winning would come easy.

If he did straight up download a tactic, whats the problem? Sure, its against morals, but, theres nothing stated in the OP, and its not an actual "cheat" since, the tactic is within the boundaries of the game.

I'll check back to see what he actually used, and let you guys know what I think

It's a downloaded tactic from the Forum.

I know its not against the rules, but he should have used his own tactic, as this one clearly gave him an unfair advantage.

Which tactic?

Frazza actually says, in regards to bermybhoys question that he's using my tactic, since "it was there". Don't know how thats possible, as aab and bermy both played a season after me (IIRC) - And I don't leave my tactic there for other, to encourage them to build there own.

One thing I did notice, is how good Dunn was. He's far, far too good for a player in that division, and I don't remember his attributes being that good when I had him in my season :/

Originally posted by bermybhoy:

Nep, here is a discussion about that tactic. Seems to be that it gives a pretty big advantage.

Regarding Dunn, he's young and has been improving. This was him 4 years ago. Paul Hartman also had a screenshot of him from 2014 but seems to have deleted it. I don't think that's suspicious tbh, you could compare though.

oh I deleted my entire photo history on photobucket to make my All American Striking Contest upload faster.

Oh and aaberdeenn I didn't mean to be that negative about your season, I was more annoyed with the fact that I didn't get promotion.

So does that mean that Frazza Pee's season is disqualified then?

I agree with Frazza. He hasn't technically done anything wrong, as there was nothing specified at the start. Downloading a tactic, at any level, I also don't see as cheating, or wrong. (otherwise, whats the point of having the tactics forum to even discuss your winning tactics?)

Dunn is a 50 goal a season kinda guy too. After looking at the 2012 view of him, he's actually a lot better than I gave credit for, (and possibly didn't utilise him enough in my season)

Personally, his season stands. But I'm not the sole factor in deciding this, so I'll leave it up to you guys icon14.gif

I hate the idea of using downloaded tactics for this. In large part it's because I've really struggled with FM08 at times by virtue of always trying to figure out my own. Equally though, I can also see that some people have no issue with it whatsoever and more to the point, I never said at the outset not to do it. Frazza, sorry if the criticism has been overly harsh, the situation just wasn't expected.

From now on though, I think the rule has to be that you use your own tactic. Otherwise we could all have used this Kimz thing and been in the Premier league by now.

So all that said, I think Nep should carry on from where we are.

I think people who have come from a 'challenges' background would have considered using a downloaded 'cheat' tactic a big no-no, especially in a community based story like this one. Saying that, since there was nothing in the rules about it you can understand why someone might think it is ok to do so and can't really discount the season. Perhaps an adjustment to the rules could be made so it doesn't happen again?

I think the updates were pretty poor though, 'We won the F.A Trophy' as a single post says it all. bermybhoy managed to post more screenshots when he holidayed the softies for just two months, something seemed a bit suspicious with the lack of effort going into them.

The reason the use of downloaded tactics wasn't mentioned in the opening post I'd say is because you wouldn't expect to come across someone using one of these tactics.

Sure in theory there's nothing wrong with using them but this game was just about members of this forum pitting it's managerial skills against each other in trying our best to take our respective teams to the top. This just removes the whole point of the game.

I don't see what the issue with Dunn is though as he's now scored over 50 goals in each of the two seasons before this so there hasn't been any advantage gained in that respect, just for the team as a whole.

Using a downloaded tactic has meant that we've done better than we should of. Why do you think no other challenges allow the use of these tactics.

I think that the season should be voided and re-done as I don't want a quick way to the top. It'd be nice to do it 'properly' so to speak and feel proud once/if we manage to get to the top.

Dafuge, will do. Your point about the reporting is also valid. I think there is a statement in there somewhere requesting updates a couple of times a season, it would be nice to get back to that, and seeing plenty of screenshots etc. I appreciate not everyone has/is willing to (I guess mostly the latter) spend the time on it but it would be nice to think you could flick back through this and start to get a feel for the history. If you know what I mean.

aaberdeenn, I understand the frustration, but without doubt the promotion wasn't far away. It probably did need a couple more players, but that serves to make next season all the more challenging.

Incidently, Dunn is a non-issue. I was very, very lucky to find him and be able to sign him, and since then he has improved greatly and has added the club to his favourites, so doesn't want to leave. Sure, he's better than we should have, but there is a logic behind it.

Dafuge - I do see using a downloaded tactic as a no-no, if it were in yours or Gundo's challenge, or the likes of them. In this case however, Frazza chose to use a downloaded tactic, (I'm assuming it was Kimz) - and I don't see a problem with it. Frazza could always re-do his season, based on his own tactic, and peraps provide screenshots throughout, (which I didn't even notice he didn't, but on that note, its a good point.) If the rules are changed in the OP, that would be great, and save confusion for future attempts.

I'd just like to state, that I didn't, and never have used a downloaded tactic, but when building my own tactic, I do spend a lot of time reading the T&TT forum, for new techniques and ideas, and often stumble upon some "exploits" (Of which the only one I "use" is the corner cheat, because I refuse to change something I built into a tactic in FM06, due to the incompetence in the FM08 ME)

Frazza - After reading Daf's post, I do find it very peculiar that you've failed to provide a single screen shot for anything. Why is this the case? Even a slow computer can upload a screeny in about 30 seconds, So I don't see what the problem is.

Also, I didn't even realise we'd won a trophy, or that you did the EOS Update, due to your lack of creativity in the updates. Its not good.

To put it bluntly, the more I find out about Frazza, the less I like about how he's gone about completing his season. for future players, we need to be sure that they appreciate the importance of this thread to those that are heavily involved.

I now have no problems with the season being scrapped, re-done, or if we just move forward and carry on. I say we have a vote. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

I now have no problems with the season being scrapped, re-done, or if we just move forward and carry on. I say we have a vote. icon_biggrin.gif

Now you're just confusing matters icon_wink.gif

I'm willing to guess Frazza won't want to re-do it. Therefore it would largely be up to you whether you want to start from the most recent point, or from the season before. I think we've established that opinion is pretty much split on whether it should count. Any other opinions welcome, but basically, I'll let it be your judgement call.

Good question. Basically I think we have established that using an downloaded tactic was not against the rules as they stood, though clearly against the spirit. Therefore I've left it up to Nep to make a judgement call on whether he wants to replay that season, on carry on from where we are.

In terms of the Softies, if elf_30 pops back in soon hopefully he can get to work on their next season.

I have also asked Dafuge to update the rules in the second post.

Essentially what I've done is try to make things a bit clearer for everyone, therefore downloaded tactics are banned, I've clarified rules on making Bosman signings, and so on.

Also, I've changed the wording regarding doing updates...I think it's in the interests of the thread to encourage everyone to update frequently and in a bit more details that we sometimes get, given that this is of reasonably wide interest. It's one season at a time so it's hopefully not too much to ask, most of the contributors to the various challenges do it in a lot of detail already anyway.

Finally, I've taken a hint from some of the sign ups and asked anyone who wants to take part to quote something from that post just check they read the rules...

Forgot to add here, Nep made a suggestion previously that didn't take off regarding nicknaming of players. I liked it though, so have added it to the rules. Basically, if you want to name a player who you have just signed or who came through the youth set up, you can do so.

Thanks for the changes dafuge.

Originally posted by Robert_296:

Nep suggested a vote before iirc buyt it is up to you as it is your sign up/challenge

Just spotted this. I think everyone has voiced an opinion or two already.

But, a vote it is.

So to everyone:

In view of the last season being done using a downloaded and evidently very useful tactic (which wasn't specifically against the rules):

should it be replayed?

or, should we carry on?

Hey all,

Sorry I havent been on in the past few days, I will be withdrawing from this game for a while. I have gotten a bit sicker and some personal things, broke up with my gf, have made it a bit harder for me to get on here and play, havent touched FM for almost two weeks now and just dont feel the need right now.

I will be stopping by from time to time and may want back in later, but for now, sorry for any inconvience I have caused. It has been fun.

See ya around

Peace

Cheers for finsihing my season off bermy and doing the end of season review, shame we couldnt get in the playoffs but i would have taken 11th at the start of the season.

Seems to have been have a been a bit of controvesy recently with the old formation debate. Happy to go with what everyone thinks on this although i personally dont think it should stand as picking your formation is the main part of the game for me.

Good luck with the softies next season Robert, if youu can get a good gk and pair of centre backs you should be ok for a good season. Lucas and blackburn are quality up front although lucas is getting on so may need the odd rest throughout the season.

Shame elf, sounds like a hard time, hope everything works out for you.

Robert, go ahead. Good luck.

As far as the voting goes, looking back at past comments (not sure anyone else will respond):

jackyb1989 - replay

Spc1485 - replay

PaulHartman71 - replay

NepentheZ - replay (I think?!)

aaberdeenn - replay

dafuge - carry on

The calls seem to be in the majority to do it over. Nep, if you're happy wih that, let's do that.

I done nothing wrong imo.

Well, IMO, you have.

Why you couldn't of just used your own tactic or asked for advice in here is beyond me.

It's a tactic that clearly exploits weaknesses in the match engine, as it gave you a huge advantage over the previous without you actually bringing in much more quality.

3IAR btw.

Why you couldn't of just used your own tactic or asked for advice in here is beyond me.

It's a tactic that clearly exploits weaknesses in the match engine, as it gave you a huge advantage over the previous without you actually bringing in much more quality.

I can't make tactics. and I'm and independent person.

Archived