Sacred Victory

-Xenon-

September 2008

August had been one of our better months for sure, Diego Morais and Wellington were continuing to perform well and net plenty of goals. September would be a rollercoaster of emotion, little did I know that it would contain two of the most humiliating defeats in my short managing career so far. But also it would contain two breath-taking victories against top-notch opposition.

First up was Ponte Preta who we had almost beaten earlier in the season, who were now putting distance between them and 3rd place in their chase for the title with Vitoria. Despite a first choice team and a relatively good performance all round, Ponte Preta were to strong in the end as goals from Claudio and Roberto Santos sealed a 2-0 win for the title chasers. Our next game would be hard to bounce back for. Juventude had not taken the 5-1 whalloping we had given them lightly and were out for revenge. It's beginning to be very unlikely that Juventude will bounce straight back into the top flight as currently they cannot seem to escape from mid-table obscurity. One goal was enough to grab the three points and thankfully Diego Morais scored it as we sealed a 1-0 win and completed a double over the side.

Unfortunately we couldn’t grab another three points in our next game, at home to SE Gama. Despite a good start in which Wellington grabbed an early goal, the visitors blitzed Alencar’s goal and by half time were 3-1 up. Goals coming from Joao Paulo, Ceara and Mazinho. Denio scored a late penalty but it was too little, too late as we went down 3-2. Our next game was a depressing affair as we were hit for six by CRB. We had a few players missing for the match but in all honesty there was no excuse for the defeat.

An opportunity to pick ourselves up from that humiliating defeat came the following week against runaway league leaders Vitoria. Earlier in the season we had shocked our critics by grinding out a 1-0 victory against them, the press were predicting Vitoria to exact their revenge when they visited the Estádio da Baixada. With Paulo Cerqueira and Marcelo Augusto still injured, Alencar was forced to continue in goal and he was called upon to make a save as early as the 3rd minute. Thiago Laranjeira’s spectacular half volley forced an excellent save. Laranjeira is a player I dream of having in my squad, at just 20 years old he looks the complete article and he causes every side problems. Wellington then attempted an incredible bicycle kick from a tight angle but all to no avail, the counter attack from Wellington’s chance cut our defence to shreds as Laranjeira fed Borges to score Vitoria’s opener. We didn’t have long to wait for an equaliser as Ale was fouled in the box by Gustavo. Clecio took the spot kick and tucked the ball away for 1-1. A series of attacks from Vitoria followed but totally against the run of play, as Andre’s deep first time cross found Ale, who headed home for 2-1. Not long after the second half had kicked off, Vitoria had their equaliser. Marcos Parana latched onto a flick on and slotted the ball past Alencar, 2-2. Roughly 4 minutes later we were amazingly back in front, a 25 yard Maycon volley made it 3-2. Just two minutes later, Wellington netted his 25th of the season so far to make it 4-2. Vitoria had been stunned by a quickfire brace of goals. Despite the predict Vitoria onslaught in the final third, we held on for a memorable 4-2 victory.

After the famous 6-6 draw with Paysandu, the TV companies had somewhat wisely decided to televise the return fixture. They were not to be disappointed, Paysandu scored another six goals on this occasion. However sadly we could not find a single goal in our second 6-0 defeat of the month. There were now just two months of football left and despite we had already surpassed our points total for last season by 4 points, we weren’t safe yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Transfer Update

Out

Fabricio - Sampaio Correa - £10,000

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Results

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

********************************************************************************************************************************************

Ponte Preta 0-2 A Second Division

Juventude 1-0 A Second Division Diego Morais

SE Gama 2-3 H Second Division Denio, Wellington

CRB 0-6 A Second Division

Vitoria 4-2 H Second Division Clecio, Maycon, Ale, Wellington

Paysandu 0-6 A TV Second Division

********************************************************************************************************************************************

</pre>

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks chesterfan2, always rewarding when the effort put into the story is appreciated by the readers.

Heinrich was seated in the director's box in the Estádio da Baixada for the home victory against Vitoria. It was his usual position for every home game. He was considered to weak to be able to travel to CAHA's away games, much to his disgust. As a result he made sure he was present for every home game and had done so since his release from prison. All of the teams in the league were relatively unknown to him at first but he knew for certain that Vitoria were a very good side. He had already congratulated his manager on one league vitory against the runaway leaders, and it was a pleasant surprise to have to do it again after a 4-2 home win.

The result had helped him make his mind up. The information recently given to him had been disturbing and his every instinct that he had honed over the years of being in the army told him to act quickly. But something told him that it was perhaps a good thing to act differently than he had in the past. Sam was doing a good job, he would continue to do a good job. "And when he slips up, I'll be there waiting to deal with him" thought Heinrich. If there was one thing Heinrich hated, it was a traitor.....

October/November 2008

The 2008 schedule dictated that we would finish our league campaign in late November leaving December entirely free for us to re-group ahead of the next season. Safety was looming closer with every game, and the objective was to see if we could build on our current position. The future was looking great for the club and November would mark 1 year of financial security, we have the transfers of Adriano and Berg to thank for that plus sell out crowds at the Baixada. September had been a bit of an up and down month for us and we had to start October positively against Fortaleza.

Fortaleza had struggled to bounce back into the First Divsion so far this season and we were actually above them in the table going into this game. It was a cracking match but sadly we were on the end of a 4-2 defeat. Going into the final 20 minutes we had been 2-1 up thanks to goals from Ale and Diego Morais but unfortunately a Negreiros hat trick produced a 4-2 for the visitors. Two defeats on the bounce and we were beginning to slide back down the table. However a 3-0 win against Treze followed, goals from Jonathan and a brace from Wellington. Treze now look like serious candidates for relegation as they are struggling to re-produce last years great form.

Santo Andre still hadn't given up on chasing Ponte Preta for second place and they needed a win if they were to realistically challenge for promotion. They got off to a good start, attacking midfielder Diogo with a long range effort for 1-0. However we began to fight back and within 10 minutes were level through Wellington. Just a few minutes later, Diego Morais beat his man and cooly slotted home a second to put us into the lead. We didn’t stop there as Ale headed in a third to send us in at the break 3-1 ahead. However, Santo Andre were to have a come back of their own as Everton scored not long after restart to make it 3-2. It looked like heart-break on 87 minutes as Gaucho made it 3-3, but much to our delight Diego Morais headed home from a well executed corner by Juliano to grab a 4-3 win.

Two straight wins had turned our fortunes around as we looked to have a strong finish to the season. However, unfortunately we could not make it three straight wins as we went down 3-1 to Guarani in our next game. Jair grabbing a late consolation as the Campinas side romped home in what should have been a bigger score line margin.

A 3-0 win against newly promoted (and probably soon to be relegated) Americano followed, 9 points from a possible 12 was a great record as far as we were concerned and it meant that we retained 9th position in the league table. Diego Morais adding two goals to his season tally whilst promising left winger Juliano scored again , as interest in him from bigger clubs continues to hot up.

Next up were Santa Cruz who were harbouring aspirations of a top 5 finish. Despite a first minute Juliano opener, Julio Cesar and Eleilson scored and looked to give the home side a 2-1 victory. However, 10 minutes from the end a Juliano corner set up Diego Morais, who headed home to rescue a point.

We entered December safe from relegation and with our main aim to finish in the top half still in sight. However it did not prove to be the best of months as we recorded 5 draws and a defeat to finish 11th in the table. First up was a thrilling 3-3 against Portuguesa, our matches against this club have always proved high scoring and this was no different as Wellington, Juliano and Diego Morais were all on target. Next we succumbed to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Nautico in front of the TV cameras, a double from Diego enough to cancel out Wellington’s solitary goal.

1-1 draws against both Paulista and Avai followed, with Wellington on the score sheet both times. Avai now look to be entering the three horse race to avoid joining the already doomed River in the Third Division. As Treze and Americano’s results continue to improve there is a real danger of relegation for our rivals. A 2-2 thriller against Ituano followed in which Clecio could have won the match from the penalty spot but blazed over the bar. Our final game of the season was against River who had already been relegated, their performances had improved now that they had nothing to lose and we struggling to contain them in an exciting 1-1 draw. That result cemented our place in 11th at the end of the season, a much better performance that had seen us rise 7 places above last season. Next season I hope to lead the team into the top five.

Results

Fortaleza 2-4 H Second Division Ale, Diego Morais

Treze 3-0 A Second Division Jonathan, Wellington(2)

Santo Andre 4-3 H Second Division Ale, Wellington, Diego Morais(2)

Guarani 1-3 A Second Division Jair

Americano 3-0 H Second Division Juliano, Diego Morais(2)

Santa Cruz 2-2 A Second Division Juliano, Diego Morais

Portuguesa 3-3 H Second Division Juliano, Diego Morais, Wellington

Nautico 1-2 TV H Second Division Wellington

Paulista 1-1 A Second Division Wellington

Avai 1-1 A Second Division Wellington

Ituano 2-2 H Second Division Maycon, Neno

River (PI) 1-1 A Second Division Neno

</pre>

Second Division Final Standings

============================================================================================================================================

Brazilian Second Division 2008

============================================================================================================================================

Pos. Team P W D L F A G.D Pts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. C Vitoria 38 27 4 7 79 47 +32 85

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. P Ponte Preta 38 20 12 6 74 48 +26 72

3. Santo Andre 38 20 5 13 82 55 +27 65

4. Figueirense 38 19 7 12 75 49 +26 64

5. Guarani 38 18 10 10 62 45 +17 64

6. Santa Cruz 38 18 6 14 59 47 +12 60

7. Juventude 38 16 9 13 53 46 +7 57

8. Ituano 38 15 10 13 62 58 +4 55

9. CRB 38 13 14 11 58 55 +3 53

10. Nautico 38 15 6 17 70 64 +6 51

11. HERMANN AICHINGER 38 13 12 13 71 78 -7 51

12. Paulista 38 14 8 16 46 53 -7 50

13. Fortaleza 38 14 5 19 60 64 -4 47

14. Paysandu 38 13 8 17 73 84 -11 47

15. SE Gama 38 11 13 14 56 67 -11 46

16. Portuguesa 38 12 9 17 55 81 -26 45

17. Americano 38 12 6 20 40 54 -14 42

18. Treze 38 12 5 21 47 70 -23 41

19. R Avai 38 11 8 19 48 61 -13 41 *

20. R River (PI) 38 6 5 27 35 79 -44 23

*= Avai relegated due to worse head-to-head record

</pre>

2008 League Information

First Divsion

Champions

Santos

Runners Up

Corinthians

Relegated

Vasco

Sport Recife

Top Goalscorer

24 - Jonathas (Cruzeiro)

Second Division

Champions

Vitoria

Promoted

Ponte Preta

Relegated

Avai

River (PI)

Top Goalscorer

29 - Roberto Santos (Ponte Preta)

Third Division

Champions

Sao Raimundo (AM)

Promoted

15 de Novembro

Top Goalscorer

17 - Silvio (Tuna Luso)

Thank you very much Flying_Fin!

Sam's rather modest salary was just enough to allow him to rent a stylish apartment on the Ilha de Santa Catarina just outside the town of Florianopolis where nearby rivals Figueirense played their football. It was a fairly long distance commute, but the long drive usually cleared his mind for the work ahead and if needs be, he had a small flat in Ibirama. Now that the season was over and given that it had been a busy one on and off the pitch, he just wanted to allow himself a week or two of relaxation provided the weather was decent on his island paradise.

That was the plan, but a knock on the door one morning early in December changed all that. Sam woke with a start at the knocking of the door. Half asleep he scrambled to his feet and staggered towards the door, to his uttermost surprise it was Wolfgang.

"Sam, apologies for disturbing you on your week off but we need to talk".

"Errr.....sure, make yourself at home"

He stood aside as Wolfgang entered and sat tentatively on the sofa, Sam offered him a drink to which he respectfully declined. Sam feared the worst, that he was about to lose his job or even worse, that Wolfgang had discovered his loose involvement with Max and Manni's plots to overthrow him and his grandfather. Something suddenly struck him, Wolfgang's normally heavily accented English was now pronounciated perfectly and with only a hint of a Bavarian twang, that betrayed a more thorough education than had previously become apparant. His demeanour was altogether different than before and in fact he behaved like totally different person as he sat and began to explain his un-announced arrival.

"OK, I suppose a good place to start is that I know everything. I know about Max and Manni Stader, about your collaboration with them and about their intentions."

Sam was dumbstruck, this could be the end of his life never mind his career.

"But I myself have not been very honest with you. In fact I am not who I say I am, my name is Marchetti, Genesio Marchetti. I am of course of German descent despite my mother being Brazilian in fact I am related to Hermann Aichinger himself. I am posing as the grandson of Heinrich in order to reclaim the club to its rightful owners when Heinrich dies. It seems the Stader family have complicated matters and I have decided reveal my true identity to you"

"So you are just another schemer? I mean, I know Heinrich is a wicked old bàstard but sometimes I actually feel sorry for him. I think I've lost count of the people that are either trying to kill him or con him out of this football club. So does he actually have any relatives? Any more people that are going to join this sick and twisted power struggle?"

"I admit it is confusing and no, he has no relatives except for he thinks I am his only surviving relative. Let me just state my case. The Staders, despite the decency of Max's father are as much thugs as Heinrich and his 'colleagues', Matthias was a good man I was told but his son and grandson are bad news. I have the scars to prove it of course.

Sam noticed that the bullet that had grazed Wolfgang (or Genesio as he was now known)'s face and left a huge scar had not faded at all. Leaving a huge slice down one side of his face.

“Fairly soon they will be handed over to the police and luckily for you, we will protect you because rest assured they will tell the police of your involvement. Of course it seems that your ability to manage will keep you out of prison for the rest of your days. Heinrich is no fool, you have been the best thing that has ever happened to this club and he is not about to get rid of you just yet.â€

“I still don’t see how any of this benefits me. It’s difficult enough to do my job under normal circumstances let alone all of this hanging over my head. I don’t see why I shouldn’t just walk away.â€

“Heinrich would have you arrested and charged with accessory to murder should you walk. So I advise you to stay put. Like it or not, I am your only way out of this. And when I get control of the club, the Hermann Youth will be scrapped. You will be allowed to do your job with a much better salary and money to buy new players and I promise you as chairman I will let you develop the team as you see fit. I can see that this club needs you as a manager for as long as possible.â€

“I guess I don’t have much of a choice.â€

“Sadly not. Now show me what players you are bringing in this month…….â€

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

New Year Transfer Update 2009

Out

Neno - Sao Raimundo (AM) - £575,000

The veteran striker had long made it known that 2008 would be his last season at the club. There was a lot of interest amongst Third Division clubs, but it was newly promoted Sao Raimundo that made the biggest offer of just over half a million pounds.

Released Players

-Ricardo (Hermann Youth), now at Prospera

-Humberto (Hermann Youth), now at Guarany (SE)

-Sergio, now at Sport Belem

-Marcelo Augusto, now at Porto Velho

-Luis Rodrigo, now at Santo Angelo

There are now just five survivors from the team I took over in 2006.

In

Paulo Roberto Santana Silva

"Paulo Roberto" 21, DR - Free Transfer

A product of the Atletico Mineiro youth setup, Paulo failed to make the grade at the First Division side, making just 14 appearances over his three season in the senior team. His only career highlight was a winner's medal in the Minas Gerais state championship. He was released on New Years Day and signed for us just three days later.

Joao Paulo Dias Silva

"Joao Paulo" 20, DM - Free Transfer

Another Minas Gerais youngster, Joao Paulo started his career at Cruzeiro but as with Paulo Roberto failed to make a major breakthrough. Probably the most technically gifted player we have at the club, Joao is a huge signing for us and hopefully will be influential in our quest for eventual promotion to the top flight.

Leonardo Cecchinatto

"Leonardo" 22, DL - Free Transfer

Has been out of favour at Juventude for the past few season and will serve as a much needed improvement to our woeful left side of defence, Denio and Andre simply can't cut it at this level but will be kept as back up to Leonardo. Has an Italian dual nationality.

Loans In

Ricardo Alves Pereira

"Ricardinho" 20, ST - Atletico Paranaense

In the event that either Wellington or Diego Morais decide to leave the club we loaned in Ricardinho whoi quite frankly is better than the pair of them. A very similar player to Wellington, strong, quick and a deadly finisher. Should set the Second Division alight this season.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hevandro return "expected this season" according to CAHA source

5th January 2009

http://www.atleticoha.com.br/

Hermann Aichinger fans will be pleased to hear that striker Hevandro is due to return to the club on a permenant basis, after a successful loan spell at the club in 2007. The striker has regularly been linked with a return to the Second Division particularly since he has been largely overlooked by Juventude since his return to the club.

According to local reports, Hevandro decided against signing for Hermann Aichinger due to a contractual dispute. But after playing just 10 games and scoring just 2 goals in 2008, it appears that he is finally willing to return to the club that gave him a chance to shine. When asked about a possible move he kept his cards close to his chest: "CAHA is a great club and will always be special to me, I hope that any deal will be resolved as quickly as possible but I haven't spoken to anyone yet"

It remains to be seen whether Hevandro would be able establish himself at a club that has heavily re-inforced itself since his departure. Not only is there the proven partnership of Wellington and Diego Morais but also the powerful loan signing Ricardinho to contend with.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot dm_gers, glad you took the time to read the whole story icon14.gificon_wink.gif

January 2009

With Wolfgang suitably impressed with the players I had brought in, it was time to focus on trying to win our first Santa Catarina state championship. In the group stages I was particularly keen to avoid the likes of Avai and Figueirense and thankfully we did. We were drawn with Prospera, Caxias (SC), dangerous side Criciuma, Tubarao and bogey side Joinville. I was fairly happy with the draw and felt that qualification was more than acheivable. Criciuma and Joinville were potential threats and despite the division gap we still had to be wary of them.

First up we were at home to relegation favourites Prospera. Off the back of an 11th place finish in the Second Division, confidence was high amongst the fans. But our die hard supporters were in for a shock as after just 3 minutes Prospera took a shock lead through veteran striker Afonso. To our credit we were quick to recover and by half time thanks to two goals from Ale and a wonder strike from Wellington. Wellington then went on to wrap up a 4-1 victory late in the second half. Off to a comprehensive start to the championship campaign.

Next up was a comfortable win against Caxias, Juliano, Wellington and Jonathan scoring in a 3-0 victory. Next was a very tough game against Criciuma in which an Ale penalty and Luciano strike were enough to cancel out a Saulo goal in a hard fought 2-1 win. We wouldn't be able to maintain our 100% start as Joinville, who constantly give us problems ran out 2-0 winners. As Joao Paulo was on Brazil Under 20 duty, we lacked a creative force in the midfield and could not convert our chances while Bruno and Agnaldo punished us at the back.

Results

Prospera 4-1 H Santa Catarina Ale(2), Wellington(2)

Caxias 3-0 A Santa Catarina Juliano, Jonathan, Wellington

Criciuma 2-1 H Santa Catarina Ale, Luciano

Joinville 0-2 A Santa Catarina

</pre>

Santa Catarina is one of the few places in Brazil where it snows in the Winter. It is generally regarded as, on average, the coldest place in Brazil due to the highlands near the Argentinian border. And it was on one of these very cold mornings that Heinrich delivered his two prisoners to the police. Snowflakes were fluttering down from the crisp skies as he was driven to his destination. It was quite a picturesque place in Winter, he observed. The oppressive heat of the Summer was too much for him these days, it was a wonder he had lived this long whilst enduring them in prison conditions for 56 years. As the car swung into a wide road, he was suddenly reminded of why he came here. Tall German style houses with their grand, bottom storey arches and second storey balconies reminded him that this really was a home from home.

Germans had been coming to the far south of Brazil since the early 19th Century, particularly to Santa Catarina and Brazil's southern most state Rio Grande do Sul. It was mainly because of the over-population of Germany and the lure of new land for the working class at the time. German immigration didn't really kick off until the 1850's when waves of Germans began arriving in southern Brazil. To control the immigration, German colonies were set up. Initially these were rural areas but now large cities such as Joinville and Blumenau have been created. These German communities were seperated from Brazilian communities and as a result they retained their language and culture for decades. The outbreak of war between Brazil and German severly damaged this however. Immigrants were forced to learn Portuguese and adopt the culture of their host nation. The German influence is still visible today as 35% of Santa Catarinese are of German descent and a staggering 92% as a whole from European descent mainly Portuguese or Italian.

The Portuguese Heinrich had learnt in prison was definately not suitable to be taught to more German immigrants, not there were many nowadays anyway. He had arranged this with the police to hand over the Staders, with the charges they would be going down for a very long time. The authorities had been surprised to hear from him so soon, they admitted the place wasn't really the same without him. As they stopped outside the station, Heinrich turned to the driver.

"Everything is in place, all you have to do is drop them off"

The driver nodded, switched off the ignition and got out of the car. He retrieved his two prisoners from the boot and with the help of another henchman dragged them inside. As they struggled against the two men, Heinrich could distinctly hear Manni shouting.

"You said we had a deal!!!!!"

And that, was that.

Thanks a lot vitamincmos, and Page 3!\o/

February 2009

The shock defeat to Joinville had meant that Tuburao had raced into 1st place, ahead of us on a 100% record. However we visited their ground next, hoping to destroy their winning start. For a side that had won 4 from 4, they didn't put up much resistance. Having said that, it took us until the second half to open the scoring. A great cross from Ale was converted by Diego Morais, a scissor kick in off the upright for 1-0. We soon added to the lead, this time Leonardo the provider as Wellington headed home at the back post. Ale and Diego Morais would link up again as the right winger provided a cross for the in form striker to head in and wrap up a 3-0 victory. It meant that we were back at the top of the group.

We the claimed an easy three points away to Prospera. Joao Paulo, who is already a huge fan favourite since arriving at the club was on the scoresheet. As well as Wellington as we secured a comfortable 2-0 win, the semi finals now in sight. However our aspirations were almost dealt a severe blow when we visited Criciuma. Our close rivals are always among the favourites to gain promotion from the Third Division, but they never seem to do it. In this competetition however, they have a very good record and had won it last year. It was something I often forgot, whilst worrying about drawing Avai and Figueirense I had forgotten that last year's winners and beaten finalists were in my group. Away to Criciuma we had to come from a goal down to earn a point. Biro's early goal eventually cancelled out by Wellington as we claimed a 1-1 draw against the reigning champions.

After that it was finally time to grab some revenge against Joinville. After today they would no longer be a bogey side for us as they were put to the sword in a 4-0 demolition. CAHA veteran and one of the few survivors of the 2006 season, Tiago opened the scoring. A Diego Morais brace followed, and the victory was finished off by a magnificent solo effort from Wellington. A win against Caxias in our next match would ensure progress to the Semi Finals for the first time under my management. Diego Morais and Wellington didn't disappoint as a 2-0 win was enough to see us through, probably to face Avai.

Results

Tubarao 3-0 A Santa Catarina Diego Morais(2), Wellington

Prospera 2-0 A Santa Catarina Joao Paulo, Wellington

Criciuma 1-1 A Santa Catarina Wellington

Joinville 4-0 H Santa Catarina Tiago, Diego Morais(2), Wellington

Caxias 2-0 H Santa Catarina Diego Morais, Wellington

</pre>

Thanks LSTB, hopefully the good results will continue into the league campaign

March 2009

The group phase of the Santa Catarina state championship had flown by and we were now looking forward to aiming for our first final in 4 years, due to be the first under my management. But first we had to complete the formalities of the group stage and whilst we had qualified, there was still a lot to play for as far as our next opponents were concerned. Tubarao were in with a shot of making the Semi Final, but realistically they had to beat us in order to fend off Joinville. Loan striker Ricardinho made his debut in this game and he got off to a flyer after a slow start he opened the scoring midway through the second half. Tubarao valiantly tried to mount a comeback but any hopes they had evaporated when Ronaldinho was sent off just 15 minutes from the end. Luciano struck the final blow with a well placed drive 5 minutes from time, not before Tuburao were reduced to 9 men as Lele received his marching orders.

===================================================================================================

Brazilian Santa Catarina State Championship Group 1

===================================================================================================

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Q Hermann Aichinger 10 8 1 1 23 5 +18 25

2. Q Joinville 10 6 2 2 19 13 +6 20

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Tubarao 10 4 4 2 14 10 +4 16

4. Criciuma 10 3 4 3 18 12 +6 13

5. Caxias (SC) 10 1 2 7 4 21 -17 5

6. R Prospera 10 1 1 8 5 22 -17 4

</pre>

Semi Final Draw

Joinville vs. Figueirense

Hermann Aichinger vs. Avai

The first leg of the Semi Final was at home and both sides were clearly very nervy as chances were few and far between. On the whole Avai were probably the better side, 34 year old veteran Fabio Oliveira still leading from the front as ever. The first leg finished goalless despite one or two golden oppurtunities from both sides.

The second leg was a more upbeat affair, we planned to hit Avai hard from the word go. Veteran forward Jair certainly did that as he put us 1-0 up in the both the match and the tie on 16 minutes. From then on, Avai went on to dominate proceedings as they desperately searched for an equaliser. Eventually we took advantage of the heavy pressure near the end of the game as Wellington broke free on a counter attack. With just minutes remaining he could have held the ball up but instead he went for goal. He probably would have scored had Edson Santos not brought him down, earning himself an early bath and presenting us with a penalty which Clecio duly slotted home as we won 2-0 on the night and on aggregate.

Final

Hermann Aichinger vs. Figueirense

Two 1-0 victories had helped Figueirense see off Joinville in their Semi Final, now it was the two Second Division sides facing off for the bragging rights in Santa Catarina. The first leg would be played at home but it wouldn't be the bore draw that fans had witnessed against Avai. As early as the first minute Ricardinho played Wellington into space, who after beating a defender dragged the ball back for Joao Paulo to thump home. Barely two minutes played and we were 1-0 to the good. However the pandemonium was short lived as just five minutes later, Rafael Carioca latched onto a beautiful through chip and slotted home a neat finish for 1-1. It was to get better for the visitors as on 17 minutes, Dedimar smashed home a thunderous header from a corner. All of a sudden we were 2-1 down. It just got worse as barely 5 minutes after their second goal, Rafael Carioca added a third, his second of the evening. It took us until 15 minutes from time to mount a real comeback, as Jair converted a Juliano cross for 3-2. With the team buoyant after a second goal, hope turned to elation as Wellington was provided with an absolute gift by goalkeeper Edson Bastos. He duly tucked in the interception to end the game 3-3 and with all to play for in the second leg.

21,000 fans packed the Orlando Scarpelli to see the second leg of the final be played out. We were confident but were all too aware of Figueirense's prowess on their home soil. We made a fairly bright start, however we couldnt stop Jadilson burying a close range shot just before the break to put them 4-3 up on aggregate. For the rest of the game we tried to equalise but time just seemed to fly and before we knew it we were in stoppage time. We needed a bit of luck and thankfully we got as a horrendous missed clearance from Guilherme put Wellington through and he poked the ball past the keeper to level the tie and send the game to penalties.

I couldn't look, I knew things were not going to go our way when Clecio blazed our first penalty over the bar. Amazingly though, Paulo managed to save Dedimar's spotkick and we were level at 0-0 still. Ale and Joao Paulo made no mistake, neither did Rafael Carioca or Arivelton. Veteran left back Denio's kick pinged off the upright but once again Paulo Cerqueira got us out of jail by saving a penalty from Chiquinho. Jair then scored as did Marquinhos, thus enetering us into sudden death at 3-3. Right back Paulo Roberto delicately and cheekily chipped the ball past the keeper for 4-3 and then the moment we had all been waiting for. Paulo palmed Fernandes' spotkick onto the crossbar and out. We had done it. If there was one thing for sure, Heinrich would probably be having a coronary in the stands as the technical staff, the subs and myself raced onto the pitch to congratulate the players.

Results

Tubarao 2-0 H Santa Catarina Ricardinho

Avai 0-0 TV H Santa Catarina Semi Leg 1

Avai 2-0 TV A Santa Catarina Semi Leg 2 Jair, Clecio

Figueirense 3-3 TV H Santa Catarina Final Leg 1 Joao Paulo, Jair, Wellington

Figueirense 1-1 (4-3 pens.) TV A Santa Catarina Final Leg 2 Wellington

</pre>

• 2 weeks later...

An open-top bus parade through the streets of Ibirama was quickly organised to celebrate our victory. Not only was it the first trophy in our history, but it also signalled a return to the Brazilian Cup. It was a competetion I had only led CAHA in once, in my first season where we were dumped out by Bahia. That was in the Third Division days and now with a better squad, everyones was looking forward to taking a shot at the big teams.

Thousands turned up to cheer the team on, the streets were blinded by red and white ticker tape as the bus rolled through the main street. Wellington and Diego Morais held the trophy aloft at the front of the bus as myself, Heinrich and Wolfgang looked on at the players celebrating. The crowd noise was deafening and the champagne flowed, I even spotted one or two German flags flying in the crowd. The parade was hardly the best place for meeting with the chairman, but Heinrich was never known for picking the right moment. He had to raise his voice over the celebrations as he suddenly addressed me.

"Congratulations Sam!"

"Thank you Mr. Wolfenstein, lets hope this is the start of things to come. I just wanted to thank you, I've loved every minute here so far."

It was half true, on the pitch at least I'd loved my time at the club. It was odd, Heinrich certainly knew about everything that had been going on and most definately my small involvement. Yet it wasn't mentioned, and there was an underlying awkwardness amongst all the pleasantries.

"We have enjoyed having you here, I have always admired the English as a race. Now we focus on promotion."

"Well I think its acheiveable very soon but I'm not sure this season is the right time to be pushing for promotion. I'd like to aim for a top 10 finish, I don't think we would be ready for First Division football as early as next season."

"Next season is within your five year target, but if we don't get promotion either this season or the next then I'm afraid we will have to talk."

"I understand, the lads are ready"

April 2009

In preparation for the upcoming league season, I arranged a friendly game with the Hermann Youth. Partly to allow the new signings to settle in and partly to have a look at any talent the Hermann Youth had to offer. An 11-0 win followed, as expected. On loan striker Ricardinho bagged a hat trick along with new boy Joao Paulo contributing with two sweet strikes. Diego Morais also got a hat-trick, Ale got a brace and Juliano rounded off the day's scoring in a comfortable preparation match. 16 year old sweeper, Silva was one of the few youngsters to have a decent game.

We kicked off the 2009 season with a televised away trip to Guarani. Guarani had had another good season last year and finished 5th. Our record was poor against them and it would be a difficult opener. However the trip to face the Sao Paulo side would prove to be a classic, alongside the likes of last year's 12 goal thriller against Paysandu. It started on a sour note as after 6 minutes, Guarani forward Wander opened the scoring. However the jubilation for Guarani was shortlived as Ricardinho hit back just seconds later. Guarani always looked vulnerable at the back and were prised apart by Ricardinho who set up Wellington to give us a 2-1 lead. Guarani came back even stronger and 2 minutes later equalised through Lico. 2-2 after 10 minutes promised a cracking game and it didn't disappoint as we once again re-took the lead on 24 minutes, Joao Paulo with a great strike. We increased the lead on 38 minutes as in form winger Ale headed home to leave the score 4-2 at half time. We thought the game was wrapped up on 50 minutes when Wellington got his second of the game but a late charge from Guarani left us nervy towards the end. With 9 minutes remaining Lico got his second and 6 minutes later Fabio Costa reduced the defecit to 5-4. But we hung on and claimed a great opening win.

Results

Hermann Youth 11-0 H Friendly Ricardinho(3), Diego Morais(3), Ale(2), Joao Paulo(2), Juliano

Guarani 5-4 A TV Second Division Ricardinho, Wellington(2), Ale, Joao Paulo

</pre>

• 2 weeks later...

Hermann Aichinger secure "major investment" from German right wing political party

1st May 2009

It has emerged that Santa Catarina side Hermann Aichinger have struck a major investment deal with an extreme right wing party in Germany. The deal co-incides with CAHA chairman, Heinrich Wolfenstein being elected deputy leader of the political party in question, the "NPD". Wolfenstein is set to leave for Germany to carry out his duties for the party whilst his grandson and board member Wolfgang becomes acting chairman in his absence. There have been raised eyebrows at this investment due to the controversial nature of the the investors. The NPD have been investigated numerous times for staging Neo-Nazi rallies and anti-semetic demonstrations. Now they have ploughed an undisclosed fee into CAHA, a club that they feel is a possible source of future income for the party.

While reports have been varied as to the amount that has been invested into the club, it is our understanding that the figure is around 25 million pounds. Sources close to the club insist that this is not a take-over bid and that the board will remain unchanged. They have also said that the money will be primarily used to improve facilities and possible stadium expansion. Hermannn Aichinger have made an encouraging start to their season and it remains to be seen whether this cash injection will affect their season positively.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

May 2009

The news of the investment had been a surprise to me, although according to Wolfgang it been in the pipeline for a while now. It was the first step in Heinrich's money-making scheme, it would certainly set up a bright financial future for the club as well as one on the pitch. After the fantastic game against Guarani, we looked to continue our positive opening to the season away to Fortaleza. However our defensive performances were still a cause for concern. Fortaleza had struggled last season since their relegation from the First Division and had slumped to 13th position at the end. Despite some disappointing results for them, they were still a very dangerous side. Fortaleza were late comeback specialists and we found out, Ricardinho and Maycon had put us 2-1 in front in spite of a Negreiros goal. But in the 89th minute Negreiros netted his second as we had to settle for a 2-2 draw.

Next up we faced Treze who had only just survived last season. Despite this, they had won their first two games and were looking strong this season. Diego Morais returned to the side and was soon on the scoresheet as we went 1-0 in front. Felipe equalised for Treze but Diego Morais put us back in front soon after and we went in at the break 2-1 up. Ale increased the lead to 3-1 before Vinicius grabbed a late consolation for Treze. A good 3-2 win for us. Next was the biggest game of my career so far. Our home match against Vasco was our first televised game of the season and it promised to be a great match against the former giants. We got off to a dream start as Maycon netted early after some great pressure put on the Vasco defence. However our joy was short-lived as Anderson equalised with a delicate finish to make it 1-1. We continued to go forward and were rewarded on the stroke of half time as Ale scored with a diving header at the back post for 2-1. Vasco had an awful start to the second half and Ricardinho capitalised to make it 3-1 as our unbelievable afternoon continued. With three minutes remaining Vasco set up a nervy finish as Rubens headed home for 3-2. Vasco piled forward and it worked in our favour as loyal fan favourite Jair broke on the counter and lobbed the keeper to make it 4-2. This wasnt before Anderson got his second in the 93rd minute to end an incredible last 5 minutes as we wrapped up a historic 4-3 victory.

Our final game of May was away to Americano, the team that defied all odds and escaped relegation. But of course we knew all about battling against such relegation and winning. Americano had added some real quality loan signings to their squad, most notably striker Lenny and would be a more dangerous side to play. Our run of high scoring games would unbelievably continue as Ale, Wellington, Clecio and Juliano were all on target in a 4-2 win that left us in 2nd place at the end of May.

Transfer Update

In

Hevandro Domingues Oliveira Furtado

"Hevandro" 22, ST - £100,000 Juventude

Fan favourite and cult figure amongst the team Hevandro made his return to the club this month. Hevandro made an impact at CAHA in the 2007 season, netting 16 goals that helped save us from relegation. Since his return to Juventude he spent the 2008 season mostly in the under 20 side and upon promotion to the senior squad was never really given a chance. As a result his value depleted ten-fold and we were able to capture him permanantly for a bargain price. However, he will have to fight for a place this season given the quality of Wellington, Ricardinho and Diego Morais.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Results

Fortaleza 2-2 A Second Division Maycon, Ricardinho

Treze 3-2 H Second Division Ale, Diego Morais(2)

Vasco 4-3 TV H Second Division Maycon, Ale, Ricardinho, Jair

Americano 4-2 A Second Division Ale, Clecio, Wellington, Juliano

</pre>

Summer was now in full swing and despite having lived in Brazil for four years now, Sam still could not get used to the swealtering heat. He was spending his weekend off at his Ilha de Santa Catarina apartment. However his afternoon of peace and quiet was soon to be disturbed by an unannounced arrival. There was a knock at the door and Sam opened to find an unfamiliar face at the door. He was quite clearly foreign, immaculately dressed with an altogether aggressive demeanour. He introduced himself as Helmut, he didn't give a surname.

"I am with the NPD, your new investors. I apologise for turning up without notice"

His English was heavily accented with German, but it was a softly spoken Bavarian accent.

"You best come in then"

"Thank you, I will not stay long. I just came to inform you of our expectations"

"Hang on a second, I thought you were supposed to be staying out of board decisions. I only take orders from Heinrich, no-one else"

"Of course, but there were conditions to our investment. We want immediate promotion for the club by the end of this season. Remember for us Hermann Aichinger is a stepping stone to greater things. We are not concerned about great footballing acheivements, of course we want to win trophies but only for the profit they bring. Should you want to stay at this club, then you must reach the targets we set you. When the time is right we will sell the club and along with its profits we will buy a club in Europe. But of course from what Heinrich has told me you are aware of our intentions. Things are going to get a lot harder in the future and your managerial qualities will be tested to the extreme. Reach your targets and you stay, if not then I suggest you return to England or if you still care for Brazil find a job at another club. We start with promotion this season, I'll see myself out"

"Right........"

Helmut got up and walked out without bothering to close the door. Things were indeed going to get much harder and Sam wondered whether his life was once again in danger. He needed to put in a phonecall to someone who up until a few months ago had seemed an enemy but now without him Sam would feel stranded in this situation. He just hoped his cover wouldn't be blown any time soon. He picked up his mobile and dialled Wolfgang's number.

Thank you very much Lord Stig, I hope you continue to enjoy the story

June 2009

In spite of the demands made of my side, we were currently meeting all of our targets, although there was a long way to go. Our next game was at home to title challengers Santo Andre, our third televised encounter of the year so far. Santo Andre had just missed out on promotion last season and were among the favourites to finally acheive promotion this season and they had had a positive start so far. I was wondering how long our run of good form would last and the signs didn't look good 25 minutes into this game. A goal from Everton and two from Rodrigao had put Santo Andre 3-0 up half way through the first half. Ale managed to grab a goal on the stroke of half time to make it 3-1 at the break. On the hour mark Ricardinho gave us some hope by making it 3-2 but two late goals from Santo Andre made the final score 5-2. In additon Wellington picked up an injury and central defender Matheus who has been linked with a 625k move to Santo Andre received a red card. Not a great afternoon for the team.

However we had the chance to bounce back against Nautico. Ale, who has been in sensational form grabbed the only goal in a 1-0 win. Another huge game against Santa Cruz followed and in the absence of Wellington, Hevandro scored his first goal since his return. Ricardinho added to the scoring but Santa Cruz striker Rodrigo Silva set up a nervy finish as he made it 2-1 with just minutes remaining. We held on for the three points and moved back into second place in the table. Our final game of June was against Paysandu, a team that we had conceded 12 goals against last season, thanks to the famous 6-6 draw and the infamous 6-0 defeat. Hernanes got an early goal for Paysandu but we capitalised on central defender Paulao being sent off and Maycon, Ale and Ricardinho were all on the scoresheet in a 3-1 victory, consolidating our position in 2nd.

Results

Santo Andre 2-5 H TV Second Division Ale, Ricardinho

Nautico 1-0 A Second Division Ale

Santa Cruz 2-1 H Second Division Hevandro, Ricardinho

Paysandu 3-1 A Second Division Maycon, Ale, Ricardinho

</pre>

"Hello?"

"Sam, it's Wolfgang. I have to be brief they could be tracing this call"

"Who would trace this call? I didn't know Heinrich could do that kind of stuff"

"It's not Heinrich, its the investors. They are a whole different ball game to Heinrich. We are going to have trouble getting rid of them, but if we don't I'm pretty sure they'll be getting rid of us."

"I know what you mean, I've had one of them round my house making threats. This gets worse every day."

"Don't worry. Just keep your head down until the end of the season, I have a plan.

"But wait...."

"I really must go"

The line went dead and Wolfgang was gone. Sam went outside for a cigarette, it was there that he noticed something out of the ordinary. A white van which had been parked on the street for the past few days. It hadn't been there previously and he was pretty sure he hadn't seen anyone get in or out in those past few days. Until now that was, a man in a suit was now clambering in the back of the van. He appeared to be in a hurry and there was the distinct sound of a commotion. Sam pretended not to be interested in the man or what he was doing but he tried to concentrate on what was happening through his peripheral vision. After a few minutes he returned inside, he was pretty sure he was under surveillance.

July 2009

The season still wasn’t in full swing and July would be a quiet month with only three games to play. Though somewhat amazingly we entered July in 2nd place and confidence was high as we faced reigning Third Division champions Sao Raimundo (AM). The newcomers had made a good start to their season and were so far steering clear of the relegation zone. They too had also claimed a victory against giants Vasco. However they were little match for our side as left back Andre relished the chance to take the injured Juliano’s place in a more attacking role and grabbed two goals, one of which came from a sensational free kick. Ricardinho and Wellington completed the scoring in a comfortable 4-0 win.

With regard to future transfers, for the past three months I had been scouting and monitoring an exciting young teenager from the Third Division. 16 year old Argentine Pablo Correa grew up in Brazil and has dual nationality. A striker with bags of potential, Pablo came through the youth setup at Atletico Goianiense. But with his team now relegated from the Third Division, he is expected to be on his way and I want to secure his transfer as quickly as possible before any of our rivals get their hands on him.

Next up was a trip to Juventude, a side we had a reasonable record against. It wasn’t to be our day though, as Juventude ground out a 2-0 victory with two late goals from Bruno and Joao Paulo. Our final match of July was the visit of league newcomers 15 de Novembro. 15 de Novembro had struggled at the start of this season and were already looking like a certainty for relegation. They were broken down and over-powered as goals from Wellington, Ricardinho and Juliano sealed a 3-0 win.

Results

Sao Raimundo 4-0 H Second Division Andre(2), Ricardinho, Wellington

Juventude 0-2 A Second Division

15 de Novembro 3-0 H TV Second Division Juliano, Ricardinho, Wellington

</pre>

Xenon, this remains one of the very best stories on here. It's very likely to feature heavily in my nominations for the FMS awards, I even may vote for it in the best international story category, against my own effort !

Thank you very much chesterfan, especially for your constant support throughout the story. It really is appreciated icon14.gif

Sam had thought he was safe. With the team performing superbly and the threat of horrific violence a thing of the past, he could finally settle down and devote his time to his job. However, that was before the latest problem to endanger himself arose from nowhere. Helmut and his NPD cronies were now a serious threat not only to his life, but the future of the club. They had made their intentions quite clear, to build the club up to its full potential before mercilessly gutting it for all its worth in order to move on to a new target this time in Europe. A Nazi party in all but name, who knows what dangerous heights they would rise to with the income of a top European club.

It was the dilemma of the NPD that forced Wolfgang to arrange to meet Sam and talk over his "plan". Sam was sceptical, what could two men do against Heinrich and the NPD? Hopefully Wolfgang would tell him exactly what they could do as Sam made his way up to his plush apartment. Wolfgang was stood in the kitchen gulping a large glass of scotch. He offered Sam a glass.

"No thanks, not my cup of tea really"

"'Not my cup of tea'? You and your English expressions, it really is quite amusing"

"I see the current situation hasn't affected your sense of humour, I wish I could say the same."

"You have to stay positive, they don't suspect us at all. Unfortunately it can't stay like this, we have to act quickly if we are to succeed"

"Yes, but what the hell are we going to do?"

"Simple, remove the link between the club and the NPD"

"Which is?"

"Heinrich, I didn't plan on doing this but at the end of the season we have to eliminate him. But to get the NPD completely off our backs we have set up one of their key members for Heinrich's murder. I was thinking that Helmut character that intruded in your home."

"This is all a bit cloak and dagger isn't it?"

"There is no other way"

"What about the money?"

"I'll be surprised if the NPD exist after this so I wouldn't worry about the money, the training facilities and stadium plans will go ahead as planned, hopefully by the New Year instead of 'killing two birds with one stone' we'll have killed a whole flock of the bastards. And you will have a pay rise and a new chairman, for our first season in the big time"

"You better be right about that"

August 2009

For the first time ever we found ourselves gearing up for a top of the table clash. Next was the visit of Sport Recife who were currently just a few points ahead of us in 1st position. Sport had pulled out all the stops in their bid to bounce straight back into the top flight and had already spent a staggering £7,000,000 on new players. As a result they were favourites to win the division outright and were making a good job of it so far. It was a difficult match from the start and it wasn't made any easier when striker Ze Paulo put Sport 1-0 up after a matter of seconds. The walkover that everyone expected didn't quite happen as Wellington was quick to equalise. But the gulf in class was made evident and by half time Sport were 3-1 to the good, thanks to goals from Cicero and Giuseppe. To our credit we didn't get jaded and came out strong in the second half. The pressure told and Joao Paulo was able to grab a late goal but it was too little too late as Sport ran out 3-2 winners. A game that despite the defeat we took a huge amount of confidence from.

We took that confidence in abundance to Ituano in our next game. But Ituano weren't reading the script and thanks to a blistering offensive were 2-0 up within 7 minutes. The rest of the match was spent trying to claw back the defecit. Wellington finally pulled one back on 64 minutes, before with just 2 minutes remaining, substitute Jair grabbed the equaliser and rescued a point as we slipped out of the promotion places and into 3rd place. Next up was the visit of Portuguesa. The visitors dominated from the word go and Club Brugge bound Celsinho was determined to take the game by the scruff of its neck in his limited time left in Brazilian football. He certainly did as he provided a cross for Renan to bury a lovely finish and put Portuguesa 1-0 in front. With Juliano suspended, Andre was once again filling in on the left hand side and he scored a spectacular free kick to level things up early on in the second half. We appeared to be heading for a 1-1 draw, but that was before a quite remarkable final three minutes. Between the 87th minute and the final whistle, Wellington put an amazing three goals past the Portuguesa keeper completing a quickfire hat trick and handing us a 4-1 victory. An unfair scoreline for Portuguesa who had played well until that late defensive lapse.

With that win the pressure was right back on Santo Andre in 2nd place and a win in our next game could well result in us returning to the promotion spaces. It was at home to local rivals Figueirense who were surely looking for some revenge from the State Final. It appeared to be a bit of a bore draw with neither side creating much, that was until hero of the hour Wellington popped up to grab a late winner four minutes from time. Back into 2nd place we go.

However elation was soon to become despair as we succombed to two needless defeats, first a 3-0 drubbing away to SE Gama and then a narrow 2-1 defeat to Paulista depsite a wonder goal from Hevandro. It was frustrating as they were two teams we should be easily beating. But then again when I look at it we haven't been long out of the Third Division and it was understandable, though maybe not for the board who would be concerned with us clinging onto 2nd place which miraculously we still were. Ricardinho and Wellington wrapped up a comfortable win against relegation candidates CRB before we rounded off August with a 2-2 draw against Fortaleza the team we cannot seem to beat, a 90th minute penalty denying us all three points. We end the month joint 2nd with Santo Andre and two points behind Sport Recife.

Results

Sport Recife 2-3 H Second Division Wellington, Joao Paulo

Ituano 2-2 A Second Division Wellington, Jair

Portuguesa 4-1 H Second Division Andre, Wellington(3)

Figueirense 1-0 H Second Division Wellington

SE Gama 0-3 A Second Division

Paulista 1-2 A Second Division Hevandro

CRB 2-0 H Second Division Ricardinho, Wellington

Fortaleza 2-2 H Second Division Clecio, Wellington

</pre>

Sam heard nothing from Wolfgang until just over a month since his audacious plan had been revealed. It was high risk and they had to do it properly. At least Wolfgang had to do it properly, Sam wasn't too keen on being involved in a murder let alone framing someone else for it. The long awaited phone call came one September afternoon after Sam had got home from training.

"Sam, it's Wolfgang. Don't worry this line is secure we can talk freely"

"So, how is the plan formulating?"

"No problems as of yet, I have a date when we can do this. I was checking through Heinrich's schedule and in January, Helmut is due to have a private meeting at his home. It's the perfect oppurtunity."

"Who is actually going to do this though?"

"I know some people. The only problem is that it all has to be done on a short time scale. The DNA that we have to not only obtain but place in Heinrich's home has to be taken practically the same day. Also we have found out that Helmut owns a firearm which should have his fingerprints all over it, that has to be stolen as near to the meeting as possible. Whilst he's hardly going to be reporting the loss of an illegal firearm, we can't afford for anyone else to know that he's lost it because the court will know its a set up if other people testify that he lost it. But don't worry, none of this will involve you directly."

"I hope not, I'm not really chuffed at the prospect of doing the hard time that Heinrich did. Doesn't this just prove that we are no better than he is?"

"I've thought about it too, desperate times call for desperate measures I guess. Remember it's not just the club that is at stake here, we cannot let Heinrich fund the NPD. Who knows what might happen. You better get some sleep, you have a big match tomorrow."

"Be careful Wolfgang"

September 2009

Our first game of September would certainly be a tough one, away to Treze. Treze had now started to fade away from the promotion race but were still fending off Vasco from 4th place which is a great acheivement in its own right. However there were one or two tired legs in their squad and we exploited this on our visit to the Amigao. Despite Felipe giving Treze a 1-0 lead on 12 minutes, Juliano, Maycon and a double from Wellington wrapped up a 4-1 demolition which kept us in 2nd place. Next up was the visit of Guarani, our last meeting providing the thrilling 5-4 season opener and the media were hoping this match would re-produce that kind of drama again. On that day our defence had been woeful but in the home fixture they were more than efficient as a penalty from Clecio and a great strike from Wellington wrapped up a convincing 2-0 victory and another three points.

We would be hard pushed to complete a double over our next oponnents, at the beginning of the season we had defied all the odds and grabbed a 4-3 win over an out of form Vasco side. But now the Rio de Janeiro side were charging back up the table and had finally removed Treze from 4th place and now had a promtion race in their sights. A resurgent Vasco were well and truly too much from us and an impressive Lico hat trick sealed a 3-0 win for Vasco. Lico had recently completed a 2.4 million pound move to Vasco from Guarani and was starting to impress at his new club.

Next up was the visit of Americano who were still enjoying life in the top half of the league and their on loan strikers were firing them into clear safety. It looked to be another three points when Diego Morais netted the opener just before half time. However the turning point in the match was central defender Matheus being sent off mid way through the second half. It seemed to give Americano belief and late on a quickfire Rodrigo Possebom double turned the tables and it appeared as though we were heading for a 2-1 defeat. But low and behold it was a Hermann Youth player that found the equaliser with just three minutes to spare. 17 year old attacking midfielder Perreira headed home to rescue a 2-2 draw.

Our next match was huge and the Brazilian television companies had noted this and listed the game for televised showing. It would be second against third, us away to Santo Andre. There would be an element of revenge if we were to win and by sending the players out in that frame of mind I think was the key to our victory. Young midfielder Jonathan who was filling in for the injured Maycon was in particular fired up for this match. By the half hour mark we were 2-0 up thanks to two long range efforts from him. Santo Andre didn't really turn up and were completely overpowered, Jair rounding off the match with another goal to finish it 3-0. Amazingly that win moved us level on points with Sport Recife at the top and Santo Andre were now in real danger of relinquishing 3rd place to Vasco.

Finally came the visit of Nautico and after goals from Hevandro and Rafael Moura seemed to have set up a 1-1 draw, Diego Morais popped up in stoppage time to grab a late winner and another three points. It was yet to sink in that with just two months of the season left to go we were joint leaders and with a real chance of promotion.

Transfer Update

In

Jorge Gimenez

"Jorge Gimenez" 16, D/WB R - Free Transfer

Argentinian wing back Jorge Gimenez became a free agent after being released from the youth setup at River Plate. Despite the Argentine giants not showing an interest in him, we feel he has a great deal of potential. The Buenos Aires born teenager becomes the first foreign player in our squad.

Alberto Barbosa da Silva

"Barbosa" 17, GK - £180,000 - Fluminense (BA)

Another young player, Barbosa is one of the most talented young keepers around who we have purchased from Third Division side Fluminense (BA). He hails from Minas Gerais and as a very young player he was rejected a place at all the major academies of clubs like Cruzeiro and Atletico Mineiro who have obviously missed out on a great talent. On the day he signed he was representing Brazil by winning his first Under 20 cap.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Results

Treze 4-1 A Second Division Wellington(2), Maycon, Juliano

Guarani 2-0 H Second Division Clecio, Wellington

Vasco 0-3 A Second Division

Americano 2-2 H Second Division Diego Morais, Perreira

Santo Andre 3-0 A TV Second Division Jonathan(2), Jair

Nautico 2-1 H Second Division Hevandro, Diego Morais

</pre>

Wolfgang had picked Sam up in his sleek Coupe one afternoon in early October. The Porsche Cayman S glided with effortless ease but looked slightly out of place in its surroundings. Despite Wolfgang being opposed to Heinrich's beliefs, he still loved all things to do with his homeland and relished the oppurtunity to take the car for a spin on regular occasions. For Sam, Porsches weren't his "cup of tea" to use Wolfgang's favourite English phrase. It was a good job too, on his salary he could only dream of owning a car like that. He did all the work and yet here was Wolfgang living it up. He had picked Sam up to take him to meet the people assigned to carry out the "job" in January, to put his mind at rest. Though Sam thought it would only wind him up even more to meet the men that would be payed to kill his boss and frame Heinrich's boss. As they sped along the motorway Sam noticed something odd in the wing mirror.

"Wolfgang I think you should take a look at this, it looks as though someone is following us"

Wolfgang glanced in the mirror and immediately noticed the black BMW a few cars back. He couldn't quite make out the driver or passengers but from what he could make out they were all wearing suits and sunglasses, typical NPD henchmen. He put his foot down slightly and overtook one or two cars in front. As predicted the BMW sped up in order to keep Wolfgang and Sam in sight.

"Yeah, you're right. Hang on"

Wolfgang slammed his foot on the accelerator and the car lurched forward with astonishing acceleration, temporarily leaving the BMW in its wake. But soon the powerful piece of Bavarian engineering was back on the horizon behind them and gaining quickly.

"Doesn't this thing go any faster?"

"Here, take this"

Wolfgang popped open the glove compartment and pulled out a 9mm handgun and handed it to Sam.

"What the bloody hell am I supposed to do with this!?......."

As Sam said this, a bullet tore through the back window shattering glass everywhere and then embedding itself in the dashboard. Wolfgang swayed momentarily and then regained control an extra injection of speed propelling them further from the BMW.

"Well I suggest you shoot back!!"

More bullets zipped around them, Sam opened the window and leaned out trying to position himself for a shot at the aggressors. A bullet whistled past his face and in panic he released a shot that blew out the front left tyre of the BMW. The driver lost control as the car slid and spun all over the road, unfortunately for them they were on a bridge when the car span hopelessly through the railings and over the edge to plummet into the river. Wolfgang was relieved.

"Well that took care of them, but look what the bastards have done to my car!"

Thank you, your Lordship icon_wink.gif

October 2009

At the start of October there were now just 12 games between us and promotion. However in those 12 games there were so many potential banana skins that we had to be careful not to slip up. Match one of twelve against Santa Cruz was no exception. However we started it in the best possible way, a long range drive from Joao Paulo putting us 1-0 in front after just 3 minutes. However by the hour mark, Santa Cruz forward Elvis' two goals had put Santa Cruz into a 2-1 lead. 15 minutes later Maycon scored another terrific long range shot to add to Joao Paulo's earlier long range effort to level the scores at 2-2. With just 7 minutes remaining it looked as though we had sealed a 3-2 win when Wellington slotted the ball home after a one on one with the keeper. But in stoppage time midfielder Otacilio grabbed a goal to make it 3-3 at the final whistle. As a result we moved back down into 2nd place.

In the next game against Paysandu, Hevandro had scored twice to give us a 2-1 lead but once again we were let down by a late equaliser, this time from Wellington Amorim. The game finished 2-2 and once more we lost another bit of ground on Sport Recife, more worryingly Vasco and Santo Andre were closing in on us. We needed to start winning and soon but we couldn't find three points for love nor money as in the away game at Sao Raimundo we were held 0-0 and that was our third straight draw. Luckily Sport Recife had also drawn which kept the gap at 4 points, but both Vasco and Santo Andre were on our doorstep as it became a 4 way race for the title.

Our final televised game of the season would be a tricky one and could be pivotal to our season. The visit of Juventude was regarded by most as a make or break moment for the club. By the 13th minute it looked more of a break as Eberson won and converteda spotkick to put Juventude 1-0 in front. However around ten minutes later we were to win a penalty of our own and regular spot kick taker Clecio once again kept a cool head to slot yet another one home for 1-1. The crowd sensed a 4th consecutive draw but it was down to the guy that always seemed to pop up when you needed a hero. Jair heading home a late winner to grab a 2-1 victory and a possible U turn in our fortunes seemed on the cards. The gap was now back down to two points.

However it seemed to be one step forward two steps back as we had to rescue a point against 15 de Novembro, Clecio with a last minute penalty against the already relegated side. That put the gap between us and Sport Recife back at 4 points and our next game was billed as a title decider. It had been a top of the table clash that we had narrowly lost last time round and it promised much when we made the trip to a packed Ilha do Retiro to play Sport Recife. We started really well and after around 20 minutes would come a mad 5 minutes that would change our season and maybe our careers. Hevandro and Wellington stunned the Sport defence with two quickfire goals and suddenly we were 2-0 up. We held on for another 40 minutes until disaster struck. Right back Paulo Roberto received his marching orders and I sensed that Sport would complete a miraculous recovery. I was half right, Giuseppe netting a wonder goal 15 minutes from time for 2-1. But we held on for a sensational win that took us back to within a point of the leaders.

The last game of October was a strange affair against Ituano. Firstly it was strange that Matheus was on the scoresheet for once with a header after three minutes, it was also strange that he scored again but I'm getting ahead of myself that came later. Ituano actually finished the game with just 8 men on the pitch after Bruno Teles, Juliano and Jairo were all sent off. Ideally we should have capitalised and put 4 or 5 past Ituano but we only added to the lead in stoppage time when Matheus got his second. Going into the final month we sit just one point behind Sport Recife.

Results

Santa Cruz 3-3 A Second Division Maycon, Joao Paulo, Wellington

Paysandu 2-2 H Second Division Hevandro(2)

Sao Raimundo (AM) 0-0 A Second Division

Juventude 2-1 TV H Second Division Clecio, Jair

15 de Novembro 1-1 A Second Division Clecio

Sport Recife 2-1 A Second Division Wellington, Hevandro

Ituano 2-0 H Second Division Matheus(2)

</pre>

November 2009

With just 5 games remaining we still sit in second position, a point behind Sport Recife. However November started in disaster as we surprised everyone by going down to Portuguesa, two goals from Claudio doing the damage. Sport Recife had already thrashed Ituano the day before so the gap was once again restored to 4 points. It went from bad to worse when we failed to beat SE Gama in our next match. A late penalty from teenage right back Jorge Gimenez making it 2-2 and rescuing a point. Fortunately Sport Recife lost their next match and the gap was closed to three points, Vasco and Santo Andre still safely at bay in 3rd and 4th.

Next up were local rivals Figueirense, who were swiftly overpowered thanks to goals from Hevandro and Ricardinho either side of half time. Sport Recife seemed to be losing the initiative at the dying stages of the competetion and a draw from them moved us ever closer to the top, now within a point again. Strugglers Paulista were up next and we feared the worst when Paulista midfielder Leo netted from the spot just 3 minutes into the game. But goals from Wellington, Joao Paulo, Maycon and Hevandro wrapped up a 4-1 win and to our delight as we headed to the dressing we heard that Santo Andre had thrashed Sport Recife 5-1 in their match which meant that we went two points clear at the top with just one game to go. Promotion was now assured but we still had work to do to be crowned champions and all we had to do was beat CRB in our next game. The signs were good when CRB had Fabiano sent off early, and we knew we had the title wrapped up by the 13th minute thanks to goals from Joao Paulo and Wellington. We closed out a 2-0 victory and would go home to Ibirama where the Second Division trophy and a new season in the First Divsion would be waiting for us.

Results

Portuguesa 1-2 A Second Division Wellington

SE Gama 2-2 H Second Division Clecio, Gimenez

Figueirense 2-0 A Second Division Hevandro, Ricardinho

Paulista 4-1 H Second Division Wellington, Joao Paulo, Maycon, Hevandro

CRB 2-0 A Second Division Wellington, Joao Paulo

</pre>

Second Division Final Standings

Brazilian Second Division 2009

1. C HERMANN AICHINGER 38 22 9 7 83 55 +28 75

2. P Sport Recife 38 22 7 9 75 51 +24 73

3. Santo Andre 38 22 6 10 82 42 +40 72

4. Vasco 38 20 11 7 65 34 +31 71

5. Guarani 38 18 10 10 71 46 +25 64

6. Paulista 38 17 13 8 68 52 +16 64

7. Figueirense 38 17 10 11 62 47 +15 61

8. Juventude 38 17 9 12 52 41 +11 60

9. Nautico 38 17 7 14 68 65 +3 58

10. Treze 38 16 10 12 60 55 +5 58

11. Americano 38 16 7 15 61 66 -5 55

12. Santa Cruz 38 14 11 13 71 62 +9 53

13. Portuguesa 38 11 7 20 57 71 -14 40

14. Sao Raimundo (AM) 38 9 13 16 41 71 -30 40

15. SE Gama 38 8 15 15 41 49 -8 39

16. Fortaleza 38 8 14 16 42 55 -13 38

17. CRB 38 11 4 23 42 70 -28 37

18. Paysandu 38 8 13 17 62 75 -13 37

19. R Ituano 38 7 9 22 42 77 -35 30

20. R 15 de Novembro 38 4 7 27 24 85 -61 19

</pre>

2009 League Information

First Division

Champions

Corinthians

Runners Up

Cruzeiro

Relegated

Brasiliense

Goias

Top Goalscorer

23 - Val Baiano (Bahia)

Second Division

Champions

Hermann Aichinger

Promoted

Sport Recife

Relegated

Ituano

15 de Novembro

Top Goalscorer

25 - Victor Santana (Sport Recife)

Third Division

Champions

Botafogo (PB)

Promoted

Fluminense (BA)

Relegated

Ipitanga

Palmeiras do Nordeste

Bangu

Bragantino

Cianorte

Parnahyba

Ji-Parana

Andira

Bare

Vila Aurora

Baraunas

Corintians (RN)

CTE Colatina

Estrela do Norte

Sao Jose (RS)

Veranopolis

Nova Iguacu

Oeste

Berga (MT)

Nacional (AM)

Castanhal

Tocantinopolis

Icasa

ASA

Portuguesa Santista

Caldense

Olimpia (SP)

Comercial (SP)

Uniao Bandeirante

Portuguesa (RJ)

Gurupi

Atletico Goianiense

Top Goalscorer

14 - Daniel Vitor (Sao Bento)

New Year Transfer Update 2010

Out

Loan Returns

Ricardinho - Athletico Paranaense

Ricardo - Interporto - £1,000

17 year old Hermann Youth defender Ricardo was sold to Interporto in the New Year window.

Released Players

-Jair, now at Rubin (Russia)

-Alencar, now at Juventude

-Andre, now at Bare

-Tiago, now at Rio Verde

Those four players released were the reamining survivors from the initial squad I took over in 2006. Unfortunately none from that original squad will see action in the First Division.

In

Pablo Correa

"Pablo Correa" 16, ST - £120,000 - Atletico Goianiense

16 year old Argentinian striker Pablo Correa has been widely regarded as a "wonderkid" over the past season. The youngster who also holds a Brazilian passport was picked up by the youth academy at Goianiense. However even though he was old enough to play mid way through last season, his input was not enough to save the Third Division side from relegation. With outstanding pace and acceleration combined with ox like strength and an eye for goal, Pablo should be a future star for the club.

Fagner Galvao

"Fagner Galvao" 24, DM - £300,000 - Avai

Fagner Galvao is yet another product of the Juventude youth system to be needlessly neglected. In six unhappy season he made just 16 appearances. Last season he was offered a way out by Avai, even if it meant playing in the Third Division. Despite an injury hit season he showed himself to be one of the stars of the division and this season he should be an ideal partner to Joao Paulo in the midfield.

Francisco Whoshington Souza

"Whoshington" 19, ST - Free Transfer

Cruzeiro youngster Whoshington had a bit of a hit and miss start to his career and often struggling to break into the team. Bizarrely instead of selling him, he was released and we had to move quickly to secure his signature. A potentially world class striker, Whoshington is part of the future generation that we hope will bring the club success.

Marcos Rogerio Silva Lopes

"Para" 25, D/WB R - £375,000 - Sport Recife

Purchased from fellow promotees Sport Recife, Para is a much needed acquisition to bolster the defence ahead of the new season. Bought by Sport Recife barely a year ago, he struggled to make an impact. However he is a solid right back that loves to get forward which suits our tactics perfectly. A quality squad strengthening addition.

Juan Guillermo Pinzon

"Juan Guillermo Pinzon" 17, MR - £160,000 - Alianza Atletico

With the emphasis once again on building a future generation, Juan becomes our second foreign player. Colombian born but Peruvian based Juan Guillermo Pinzon had the oppurtunity to represent either country. He chose his homeland and has already been capped by the Under 20 side. He joins from his beloved Peruvian side Alianza Atletico. When he arrived we expected to use him as back up for Ale, but we soon realised he would be first team. Blessed with a phenomenal first touch and an ability to find anyone on the pitch, Juan is a potential assist machine.

Staff

Ronaldo

Assistant Manager

The 33 year old former Brazil and Real Madrid striker has been appointed my assistant. After spending the last year of his playing career on loan at Sevilla, Real Madrid decided not to retain him and he was released. Initially we offered him a playing contract but he decided to retire from playing football and take up a role as my assistant.

Juninho Pernambucano

Coach

35 year old former Brazil and Lyon midfielder Juninho had been out of football for a while. I offered him a job at the club as a coach which he accepted and now he is to take charge of the Hermann Youth in their Under 20 league and cup campaigns.

Jorge Guerra

Coach

Jorge is a talented Argentinian coach who will be taking charge of the Reserve side whilst helping coach all of the players at the club.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing special really Stig: Ronaldo. Could be an interesting character addition to the story though.

The New Year had come and gone and Sam found himself in a new decade. In his four years at the club, it had been somewhat of an emotional rollercoaster. The joyous highs followed by the nerve shattering lows, and he was in such a situation now. Nervously gulping several glasses of Bourbon as he tried to kill the time before the inevitable phone call. He wanted all of this out of the way as soon as possible. All he knew was that at the end of this evening a man would be dead and another behind bars because of the actions of Wolfgang and himself.

All he had to do was wait for the phone-call. But unfortunately for him, it came far too early.

"What happened?"

"I'm coming to pick you up"

"Wolfgang, what's wrong?"

"You know those guys I hired to do the job? Well they're backing out at the last minute."

"Well that's it then, we'll just have to abandon the plan"

"No I'm not prepared to do that, everything is perfect. We have the DNA, the weapon, everything. We are never going to get a better oppurtunity than now, which is why I'm going to do it myself. The NPD obviously got to the people I was employing for this, so we have to go and do this now."

"I am not going anywhere! I've told you before I want nothing to do with this."

"All you have to do is keep the engine running and sit outside, if I'm not done within five minutes then get the hell out of there. I'll take full responsibility, now get ready I'll be at your place in a few minutes"

About half an hour later they were parked on the street opposite to Heinrich's huge Gothic mansion. Wolfgang didn't have to sneak around at all, in fact he just walked up and knocked on the front door. After all, Heinrich still believed that he was his grandson and a loyal one at that. Sam nervously kept the engine running and patiently waited. Five minutes came and went, yet Sam did not heed Wolfgang orders and stayed patiently. After about fifteen minutes of complete silence, Sam began to deliberate whether or not to go. It was then that he heard the sound of not one but five or six loud gunshots.

He didn't know what made him sprint up to the house and climb through and open window into the affray. Every survival instinct immediately told him to put his foot down and get away from the impending danger. It was the fact that there were so many gunshots that Sam immediately knew something was wrong. Once inside the house, he made his way to what he presumed was the office and the most likely location of either Wolfgang, Heinrich or Helmut. The door was ajar and he nudged it open carefully, he wasn't prepared for what he saw.

Heinrich was slumped in his wheelchair, blood trickling down his forehead. Sam didn't know whether he was dead or not. Wolfgang was sat with his back to one of the walls, clutching his shoulder which was bleeding profusely, obviously from a bullet wound. He was snarling in pain and had gone white as a sheet. And finally, standing in the centre of the room holding a gun that was still smoking from the barrel, was Helmut. Completely unscathed he towered over everyone in the room with a menacingly calm, ruthless and efficient expression.

"Look, here is the manager! Let me guess, you were in on this little ploy aswell?"

Sam remained silent, nervously eyeing Helmut's finger on the trigger of the gun.

"I'll take that as yes then. Congratulations, you have failed. The club is now mine, with Heinrich dead and this one bleeding to death all over this fine carpet, such a shame"

"You won't get away with this"

Helmut chuckled.

"You'd be surprised my English friend"

Suddenly out of the corner of his eye Sam saw Wolfgang reach into his pocket. Helmut was still distracted with taunting his next victim and didn't notice Wolfgang feebly remove a back up 9mm prom his inside jacket pocket. He swung his arm back and chucked it towards Sam, as it was in mid air he screamed

"HELMUT!"

Helmut turned immediately to face Wolfgang, pointed the gun at him and pulled the trigger hitting him just above the hip. It was then that he realised his fatal error. In his peripheral vision he saw the young Englishman pointing the gun directly at him. Helmut dropped his weapon straightened his back and slowly turned to face his assailant. Time to see whether he had the guts to pull the trigger.

"Can't do it can you? You want to, but you just don't have the guts"

Sam took a deep breath. And pulled the trigger...........

Wolfgang could hear echoes of voices muffled in his mind. A vortex of swirling shadows cascaded before his eyes and a tingling sensation gripped him from head to toe. Then all of a sudden there was nothing but darkness. It was then in the last phases of his consciousness that he knew death was upon him. He could no longer hear the faint echoes nor see what was around him, he could not even feel the pain of the wounds that had appeared to put him in mortal peril. He closed his eyes.

About a week later, Wolfgang regained consciousness and was immediately greeted by a blinding white light. As his hearing began to come back he could make out the rythmic tone of the heart monitor at his side, bleeping away. It took him a few minutes to compose himself before he could concentrate on his surroundings. After he had done so, he turned to his left and saw Sam sat by his bedside reading the back page of a local newspaper, whilst sipping a cup of coffee. It was an effort for Wolfgang to speak, it was almost as though he had forgotten how to. In a raspy voice he addressed Sam.

"Anything interesting in the paper?"

Sam turned abruptly and smiled.

"So, you're alive then?"

"Well I feel like sh*t actually! How long have I been here?"

"About a week. I thought you were a gonner, the bullets severed a few arteries you and almost bled to death. They hooked you up onto a transfusion machine, then you have been in a coma for the past week."

"What about Heinrich and Helmut, did you kill him?"

"I wouldn't worry about all that, the police are treating this as self defence. For all they know me, you and Heinrich could have been having a quiet meeting when Helmut burst in and shot the pair of you, at which point I shot back to save my own life and now yours since you're back in the land of the living. But Helmut's not dead, somehow he survived even though I shot him in the chest. He's being extradited back to Germany. I don't think we'll be seeing much of him again."

"And the NPD?"

"Who knows frankly, I haven't heard anything. We should be on our guard though."

Sam reached across the bed and shook Wolfgang by the hand which surprised him.

"What was that for?"

"Well, I wanted to shake my new boss by the hand. I expect you'll want to move your stuff into the Chairman's office as soon as you get out. Oh yeah and about that pay rise........."

Santa Catarina State Round-Up 2010

With the new year came the defence of our state title and this time we were presented with a much harder group. Old rivals Figueirense and Avai were pitted alongside us as well as Third Division team Marcilio Dias and non league sides Guarani de Palhoca and Inter de Lages. This would all be an opportunity to give the new signings and youngsters some experience before the start of the relegation battle in the league. With that in mind, youngsters such as Correa, Pinzon and Whoshington all started the first match against Marcilio Dias. The Serie C side put up little resistance as an impressive debut hat-trick from Whoshington and a great solo effort from Wellington wrapped up a comfortable 4-0 win and a solid start to the defence of our title.

Next up was the visit of Figueirense and for the first time we were a division above them. I was sure it would not show and that we would be given a close match which was exactly what we got. Whoshington was having a dream start to his career at the club and he breached the Figueirense back line early on to put us 1-0 in front. Figueirense however refused to sit back and their persistence was rewarded early on in the second half by a Bruno Cesar equaliser. It looked to be heading for a 1-1 draw, until Juliano tucked home a free kick with just two minutes remaining to seal a 2-1 win and maintain our 100% start to the competition.

A 4-0 drubbing of former close rivals Avai followed, a game that included a debut goal for Argentine teenager Pablo Correa. Plus two more for prolific striker Whoshington and another free kick from Juliano. In the away trip to Guarani de Palhoca, Juliano once again delivered from a free kick which was then followed by Correa's second of the competetion and a first goal for Juan Guillermo Pinzon.

We were expected to wipe the floor with Inter de Lages and that was exactly what we did when they visited the Baixada. Correa, Para, Juliano, Whoshington and Joao Paulo were all on the scoresheet, Whoshington twice for that matter, in a 6-0 thrashing. Marcilio Dias put up a bit more stubborn resistance than last time and goals from Whoshington and a late header from Matheus sealed a 2-1 win that preserved our 100% record. Our visit to Figueirense started well enough with Pablo Correa scoring early. But then a quick fire double from Everton had us on the back foot at 2-1 down. Wellington equalised on his return to the starting line up, only to see Everton complete a first half hat trick to put us 3-2 down. Just before half time Fagner Galvao equalised with a delicately timed lob. 3-3 after just 45 minutes and an action packed second half was on the cards. It didn’t disappoint and about ten minutes after the re-start we took the lead for the first time in the game, Wellington grabbing his second goal to make it 4-3. The game was sealed just a minute later when Wellington completed a hat-trick on his return to wrap up a hard fought 5-3 win.

Next would be a tough visit to Avai, who after having beaten Figueirense were looking to qualify for the Semi Finals. It was cagey match that didn’t really look like producing a winner. That was until with not long to go an Avai player was brought down in the box and 36 year old veteran Fabio Oliveira, who has scored goals against us on many occasions stepped up to take the penalty. Which he scored a grabbed a shock 1-0 victory for Avai.

We finished off the group stages with games against the two non league sides. Inter de Lages to a shock lead in the first of those matches thanks to a goal from Filho. But two goals from Maycon and efforts from Correa, Juliano and Clecio sealed a 5-1 win. Juliano was on the score sheet again against Guarani de Palhoca, his goal plus a Wellington hat-trick ending the group stage with a 4-0 win and qualification to the Semi Final top of our group.

==========================================================================================================

Brazilian Santa Catarina State Championship Group 1 - 2010

==========================================================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Q Hermann Aichinger 10 9 0 1 35 7 +28 27

2. Q Avai 10 7 0 3 25 10 +15 21

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Figueirense 10 7 0 3 24 11 +13 21

4. Marcilio Dias 10 3 1 6 19 19 0 10

5. Guarani de Palhoca 10 2 1 7 4 24 -20 7

6. R Inter de Lages 10 1 0 9 5 41 -36 3

</pre>

Semi Final Draw

Hermann Aichinger vs. Joinville

Avai vs. Criciuma

The first leg of our semi final could not have gone better against old adversaries Joinville. This was a side that had regularly got the better of us down the years and from the first leg performance those days were behind us. Pablo Correa opened the scoring early to give us a 1-0 lead. About half an hour later a Juliano free kick made it 2-0. Then another two goals from Whoshington looked to set up a 4-0 victory until Danilo got a late consolation for Joinville making the final score 4-1.

So the defence of our title was going rather well but nothing could prepare us for the disaster that was the second leg. Joinville were 2-0 up by half time, Danilo picking up where he left off from with a well taken goal and then Deco scored from around 25 yards out to make it 4-3 on aggregate. At half time I warned the players about complacency and that it was imperative we get a goal. They didn't seem to heed my warnings and by the 53rd minute Danilo levelled the tie at 4-4, putting Joinville up 3-0 on the night. Bad went rapidly to worse as Anthony made it 4-0 to Joinville and suddenly they were ahead on aggregate. The perfect opportunity to equalise came when we were awarded a late penalty that would set up extra time but Whoshington blazed it over the bar and our defence of the title was over as Joinville won 5-4 on aggregate.

Final

Avai (0) 1-0 (0) Joinville

Results

Marcilio Dias 4-0 A Santa Catarina Whoshington(3), Wellington

Figueirense 2-1 H Santa Catarina Wellington, Juliano

Avai 4-0 H Santa Catarina Julaino, Whoshington(2), Correa

Guarani de Palhoca 3-0 TV A Santa Catarina Juliano, Pinzon, Correa

Inter de Lages 6-0 H Santa Catarina Juliano, Para, Joao Paulo, Whoshington(2), Correa

Marcilio Dias 2-1 H Santa Catarina Whoshington, Matheus

Figueirense 5-3 A Santa Catarina Galvao, Correa, Wellington(3)

Avai 0-1 A Santa Catarina

Inter de Lages 5-1 TV H Santa Catarina Clecio, Juliano, Maycon(2), Correa

Guarani de Palhoca 4-0 H Santa Catarina Juliano, Wellington(3)

Joinville 4-1 TV H Santa Catarina Semi, Leg 1 Correa, Whoshington(2), Juliano

Joinville 0-4 TV A Santa Catarina Semi, Leg 2

</pre>

Santa Catarina State Round-Up 2010

With the new year came the defence of our state title and this time we were presented with a much harder group. Old rivals Figueirense and Avai were pitted alongside us as well as Third Division team Marcilio Dias and non league sides Guarani de Palhoca and Inter de Lages. This would all be an opportunity to give the new signings and youngsters some experience before the start of the relegation battle in the league. With that in mind, youngsters such as Correa, Pinzon and Whoshington all started the first match against Marcilio Dias. The Serie C side put up little resistance as an impressive debut hat-trick from Whoshington and a great solo effort from Wellington wrapped up a comfortable 4-0 win and a solid start to the defence of our title.

Next up was the visit of Figueirense and for the first time we were a division above them. I was sure it would not show and that we would be given a close match which was exactly what we got. Whoshington was having a dream start to his career at the club and he breached the Figueirense back line early on to put us 1-0 in front. Figueirense however refused to sit back and their persistence was rewarded early on in the second half by a Bruno Cesar equaliser. It looked to be heading for a 1-1 draw, until Juliano tucked home a free kick with just two minutes remaining to seal a 2-1 win and maintain our 100% start to the competition.

A 4-0 drubbing of former close rivals Avai followed, a game that included a debut goal for Argentine teenager Pablo Correa. Plus two more for prolific striker Whoshington and another free kick from Juliano. In the away trip to Guarani de Palhoca, Juliano once again delivered from a free kick which was then followed by Correa's second of the competetion and a first goal for Juan Guillermo Pinzon.

We were expected to wipe the floor with Inter de Lages and that was exactly what we did when they visited the Baixada. Correa, Para, Juliano, Whoshington and Joao Paulo were all on the scoresheet, Whoshington twice for that matter, in a 6-0 thrashing. Marcilio Dias put up a bit more stubborn resistance than last time and goals from Whoshington and a late header from Matheus sealed a 2-1 win that preserved our 100% record. Our visit to Figueirense started well enough with Pablo Correa scoring early. But then a quick fire double from Everton had us on the back foot at 2-1 down. Wellington equalised on his return to the starting line up, only to see Everton complete a first half hat trick to put us 3-2 down. Just before half time Fagner Galvao equalised with a delicately timed lob. 3-3 after just 45 minutes and an action packed second half was on the cards. It didn’t disappoint and about ten minutes after the re-start we took the lead for the first time in the game, Wellington grabbing his second goal to make it 4-3. The game was sealed just a minute later when Wellington completed a hat-trick on his return to wrap up a hard fought 5-3 win.

Next would be a tough visit to Avai, who after having beaten Figueirense were looking to qualify for the Semi Finals. It was cagey match that didn’t really look like producing a winner. That was until with not long to go an Avai player was brought down in the box and 36 year old veteran Fabio Oliveira, who has scored goals against us on many occasions stepped up to take the penalty. Which he scored a grabbed a shock 1-0 victory for Avai.

We finished off the group stages with games against the two non league sides. Inter de Lages to a shock lead in the first of those matches thanks to a goal from Filho. But two goals from Maycon and efforts from Correa, Juliano and Clecio sealed a 5-1 win. Juliano was on the score sheet again against Guarani de Palhoca, his goal plus a Wellington hat-trick ending the group stage with a 4-0 win and qualification to the Semi Final top of our group.

Brazilian Santa Catarina State Championship Group 1 - 2010

1. Q Hermann Aichinger 10 9 0 1 35 7 +28 27

2. Q Avai 10 7 0 3 25 10 +15 21

3. Figueirense 10 7 0 3 24 11 +13 21

4. Marcilio Dias 10 3 1 6 19 19 0 10

5. Guarani de Palhoca 10 2 1 7 4 24 -20 7

6. R Inter de Lages 10 1 0 9 5 41 -36 3

</pre>

Semi Final Draw

Hermann Aichinger vs. Joinville

Avai vs. Criciuma

The first leg of our semi final could not have gone better against old adversaries Joinville. This was a side that had regularly got the better of us down the years and from the first leg performance those days were behind us. Pablo Correa opened the scoring early to give us a 1-0 lead. About half an hour later a Juliano free kick made it 2-0. Then another two goals from Whoshington looked to set up a 4-0 victory until Danilo got a late consolation for Joinville making the final score 4-1.

So the defence of our title was going rather well but nothing could prepare us for the disaster that was the second leg. Joinville were 2-0 up by half time, Danilo picking up where he left off from with a well taken goal and then Deco scored from around 25 yards out to make it 4-3 on aggregate. At half time I warned the players about complacency and that it was imperative we get a goal. They didn't seem to heed my warnings and by the 53rd minute Danilo levelled the tie at 4-4, putting Joinville up 3-0 on the night. Bad went rapidly to worse as Anthony made it 4-0 to Joinville and suddenly they were ahead on aggregate. The perfect opportunity to equalise came when we were awarded a late penalty that would set up extra time but Whoshington blazed it over the bar and our defence of the title was over as Joinville won 5-4 on aggregate.

Final

Avai (0) 1-0 (0) Joinville

Results

Marcilio Dias 4-0 A Santa Catarina Whoshington(3), Wellington

Figueirense 2-1 H Santa Catarina Wellington, Juliano

Avai 4-0 H Santa Catarina Julaino, Whoshington(2), Correa

Guarani de Palhoca 3-0 TV A Santa Catarina Juliano, Pinzon, Correa

Inter de Lages 6-0 H Santa Catarina Juliano, Para, Joao Paulo, Whoshington(2), Correa

Marcilio Dias 2-1 H Santa Catarina Whoshington, Matheus

Figueirense 5-3 A Santa Catarina Galvao, Correa, Wellington(3)

Avai 0-1 A Santa Catarina

Inter de Lages 5-1 TV H Santa Catarina Clecio, Juliano, Maycon(2), Correa

Guarani de Palhoca 4-0 H Santa Catarina Juliano, Wellington(3)

Joinville 4-1 TV H Santa Catarina Semi, Leg 1 Correa, Whoshington(2), Juliano

Joinville 0-4 TV A Santa Catarina Semi, Leg 2

</pre>

Thank you Giovanni icon_wink.gif

Brazilian Cup and Pre Season Round Up 2010

With winning the state championship in 2009, came qualification for the Brazilian Cup. I only had a very limited experience of the competetion, my only exploit in it coming in my first season when we went out to Bahia 6-0 on aggregate in the First Round. However that was back in the Third Division days and this time we went into it as a representative of the top flight of Brazilian football. We got a fairly easy draw for the first round, Third Division side Guarany de Sobral. The first leg was to be played away and we saw no reason to remove any of the youngsters from the starting line up that were doing so well in the state championship that was running simultaneously to our cup campaign. It was a fairly easy win in the end and it was early substitute Wellington that got the scoring underway, having had to come on to replace the injured Whoshington. Teenager Pablo Correa continued to impress and he grabbed a goal in the second half before Wellington pulled up with an injury himself and had to be replaced by Diego Morais, who got himself on the scoresheet near the end of the game wrapping up a 3-0 first leg win. Whoshington was back amongst the goals in the return leg cleaving open the defence for the opener, putting us 4-0 to the good on aggregate. Fagner Galvao also contributed with a long range effort to effectively seal the tie early in the first half. Sobral did hit back before the break, Bage heading home for 2-1. In the second half we struck lucky as Renan put the ball into his own to give us a 3-1 lead, before Diego MOrais ended the days scoring in stoppage time, a comfortable 7-1 victory on aggregate.

The second round would be an altogether different prospect as we were drawn against Palmeiras. Although we had acheived promotion, this was our first time against a First Division side and we knew Palmeiras were about as good as they came. Within half an hour I was already having doubts about the season ahead as two goals from Andreson and one from Marcinho had put us 3-0 down in the blink of an eye. All three were incredibly soft goals that we should have dealt with, I hoped it was only down to nerves. You had to feel it was too late for any sort of comeback but eventually we started to settle down and not let the occasion get to us, after all this would soon be week in week out stuff. We began to be a lot more comfortable on the ball and Palmeiras were frustrated at the lack of possesion. The pressure told and from a corner Whoshington headed home just before the break to make it 3-1 and suddenly the confidence of the tyeam sky-rocketed. We continued to dominate through the second half but we weren't helped when Para received a red card. We just couldn't find a way through and the game ended 3-1 to Palmeiras although I felt we deserved at least another goal. Palmeiras visited the Baixada and I was worried that some of the momentum would have gone. But I was wrong as after 18 minutes we were awarded a penalty, which Clecio as usual tucked away. Suddenly it was 3-2 and we were back in business. We spent the rest of the game desperately searching for that equalising goal and finally it came, as Wellington slotted home for 2-0. The joy was short lived as usual with us, as just three minutes later Ricardinho pulled one back for Palmeiras and put them back in the driving seat. We piled men forward but in the end it wasn't enough and we were out of the cup. But at least we had shown we could beat a top team.

We rounded off our preparation for the new season with the now annual friendly against the Hermann Youth. The standard was much better this year and the youth setup was clearly improving. Last year was something ridiculous like 11-0 but this year it was a much more respectable 4-0. Two goals from Whoshington, plus one from Correa and Fagner Galvao.

Results

Guarany de Sobral 3-0 A Brazilian Cup First Round Leg 1 Correa, Diego Morais, Wellington

Guarany de Sobral 4-1 H Brazilian Cup First Round Leg 2 Galvao, Whoshington, Diego Morais, Renan own goal

Palmeiras 1-3 A TV Brazilian Cup Second Round Leg 1 Whoshington

Palmeiras 2-1 H Brazilian Cup Second Round Leg 2 Clecio, Wellington

Hermann Youth 4-0 H Friendly Whoshington(2), Correa, Galvao

********************************************************************************************************************************************</pre>

It had been a few months since the incident where Wolfgang ended up being shot, and he was only just out of hospital. Still in a lot of pain, he couldn't spend excessive amounts of time out and about. However today was too important a day to spend resting. He had arranged to meet Sam at the training complex one morning. The complex had been out of action for the best part of a year whilst it underwent substantial "developments". The press were there waiting to report on the latest step forward for the club. Wolfgang was already there when Sam arrived, casually smoking a cigarette but at the same time wincing in pain every now and then. Sam brought his car to a stop and got out to greet Wolfgang.

"How's it going? You feeling okay?"

"Damn painkillers they gave me, they don't do anything. I suppose I'll be fine sooner or later."

"Well you got shot twice, I'm not surprised it's still a bit sore. Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing the new training setup, I don't think the lads can stand the facilities we use at the moment."

"You're going to be in for a treat and this is only the beginning, if I have my way, we will have world class facilities by next season. But with regards to the stadium, I contacted the council and I'm afraid it's a no go"

"You're joking? We can't play in a stadium that size considering the division we play in. Not only are we not going to get the revenue we need but its just embarrasing when we travel to places like the Maracana and then have to welcome the big teams back to a 3,000 capacity stadium."

"I know what you mean, but this isn't a permanent decision. We will appeal against it and I'm sure we'll have planning permission in another years time. We still have the investment cash, we'll be fine".

The two men then crossed to where the ribbon was cut and the press were allowed in to see the new training facilities. Sam was astounded.

"Look at all this stuff, it's amazing!"

"Told you you'd like it. All the fitness facilities are here, immaculate training pitches, physio rooms, everything you need to make this club the best"

"I don't know what to say, thank you"

Wolfgang smiled.

"Don't thank me, thank Helmut"

May 2010

We couldn't have ask for more to open with our first game in the First Division at a stadium like the Maracana. The 95,000 seater stadium was one would be visiting regularly due to the amount of teams that groundshare there. For our first game it would be Fluminense that provided our first top flight game. Spearheaded by their star man Rodrigo Tiui, Fluminense had a realistic title chance this season and at least a Copa Libertadores place. Much to our delight it was us that took a shock lead, Wellington prodding home after just 6 minutes. In front at the Maracana was a dizzying experience and I think it got the players as Fluminense fought back fiercely straight away. Within five minutes they were level thanks to a well worked goal by Fabricio. Level at the break we hoped we could get something out of the game but the beginning of the end came just after the break when Magnum tucked away a penalty to put the home side 2-1 in front. Ten minutes later it was 3-1 as Rodrigo Torres headed home. Then the final nail in the coffin was Ernane's free kick as we slumped to a 4-1 defeat on our first day in the First Division.

It didn't get much easier as next up was last year's runners up Cruzeiro a team I have always admired. Despite Cruzeiro looking shaky at the back, two goals either side of half time were enough to condemn us to a 2-0 defeat. The first from a former transfer target of ours Walter and then another from recently re-signed Kerlon who came back to Cruzeiro after 4 years at Corinthians. Our first televised game was also our first home match and we were confident as we had made the Baixada into something of a fortress lately. Flamengo were the visitors and we looked to be heading for another defeat when they were awarded a penalty early on. Amazingly Barbosa saved and ironically ten minutes later Clecio struck home a penalty of our own to give us a 1-0 lead. Jean equalised for Flamengo just before the break. But in the second half we nailed our first league win of the season thanks to a tremendous long range drive from Fagner Galvao.

Our next game against Internacional was the story of an amazing comeback. Inter had gone ahead and were 2-0 up at the break but a superb second half performance in front of the home crowd changed all that. Pinzon, Clecio and a wonderous free kick from Juliano completed the comeback and sealed a 3-2 victory. Our home record becoming quite impressive. Finally was the trip to Gramio and we were on the back foot from the word go as Fabio Santos converted an early penalty. Whoshington managed to get an equaliser but Gremio sealed the three points thanks to a late goal from Danilo.

Results

Fluminense 1-4 A First Division Wellington

Cruzeiro 0-2 A First Division

Flamengo 2-1 TV H First Division Clecio, Galvao

Internacional 3-2 TV H First Division Pinzon, Clecio, Juliano

Gremio 1-2 TV A First Division Whoshington

</pre>

CAHA boss receives three job offers in less than a week

2nd June 2010

It certainly has been a busy week for Hermann Aichinger boss Sam Cox, not only has he just begun his first campaign in the top flight, but now he has been distracted by three tempting job offers. Last week he was offered a job to become the new head coach of the USA national team, replacing Bruce Arena who has now stepped down. It was understood that Cox was the prime target for the American Football Association. But in a show of loyalty to his club Cox turned down the oppurtunity in a brief press statement: "It is with regret that I have to turn down the position offered to me by the American FA. International management is an avenue I would like to pursue but at this time I would like to concentrate on guiding Capeta to success. I did consider taking on the job concurrently with my current post. But given the fact that we are most certainly in a relegation battle, I feel that all my time needs to be spent at the club".

Sensationally just two days later, Cox was then approached by Peñarol chairman Jose Pedro Damiani with what was understood to be a very large contract offer to bring him to Uruguay. Peñarol have been without a trophy for a few years now and the five time Copa Libertadores champions believed Sam Cox to be the man to guide them back amongst the trophies.

That appeared to be the last of the speculation over Cox's job, but in a bizarre twist close rivals of Peñarol, Danubio also announced they had approached Cox for their vacant managerial position. It remains to be seen whether Sam will make the move to Uruguay and it is understood that both Peñarol and Danubio have enetered a bidding war to seal a contract with the young Englishman. No comment has yet been made from the Hermann Aichinger camp, and you have to wonder whether Cox's magical four years at the club are coming to an end.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sam strode down the corridor towards Wolfgang's office, today was the first meeting he had attended since Heinrich's death. As he approached the office he noticed for the first time that all the Nazi memorabilia and insignia had been removed from the walls and in its place were team photographs and club banners and in a large glass cabinet, the Second Division trophy. There was definately a better feel about the place and Sam felt a small flutter of pride that both himself and Wolfgang had made it what it was today. He finally reached the door to the office which now bore "Wolfgang Aichinger" on a brass plaque mounted on it, tentatively knocked and then entered. Wolfgang, Mauro and Genesio were all sat at the table. A table that had once had Heinrich at its head and half of the upper echelon of the NPD. It looked distinctly empty but in a positive way as if it were a fresh start. Wolfgang was looking much better now, off the painkillers and back to full mobility he was starting to look his energetic self once more. He greeted Sam.

"Sam, Welcome! Please sit down"

"You're looking well Wolfgang. Mauro how are you? Genesio nice to see you"

He shook the hands of the other two directors and then got straight down to business.

"I may aswell get this out of the way before any of you ask me, I have been made a very good offer from Peñarol to go and manage their side starting immediately"

Mauro Grasel chipped in straight away.

"Of course we now know, we received confirmation from Damiani yesterday. I'm afraid we cannot compete with their wage offer and we would be demanding a high fee of compensation, at the end of the day we don't want to lose you"

"Good job I just phoned Damiani and told him I would not be taking up his job offer"

Suddenly the faces of Wolfgang, Mauro and Genesio lit up.

"That's why I called a meeting, to let you know I'd be staying before I go to the press with it. To tell you the truth, four years ago I made someone a promise, that person may now be locked up in jail I'll grant you, but it is a promise I still believe in. To take this club to the pinnacle of South American football, that was the promise. And no matter how long it takes, I'm staying until it's done"

June 2010

Our fantastic home record had steered us out of trouble so far, the two wins against Flamengo and Internacional had done a lot for our confidence. We hoped to carry this confidence into our next home match against Palmeiras whom we have already beaten once this season. A repeat result looked unlikely this time as impressive young striker Claudio and veteran Ricardinho quickly built up a 2-0 lead for the visitors. We dominated proceedings in the second half trying to look for a way back into the match, which sadly didn't come until late on. Wellington snatched a late goal and we desperately went after an equaliser but it wasn't to be and the visitors came away with a 2-1 win.

Next up was a team we had faced plenty of times before, Ponte Preta at home. After gaining promotion back to the top flight in 2008, Ponte Preta had a fairly solid season back in the big time and consolidated a mid table finish. However this season they had lost a few key players and were among the candidates for the drop. They certainly didn't do much to dispel this prediction as they crumbled apart on visiting the Baixada. Wellington breached the defence to score very early on and this was followed almost immediately by a trademark Juliano free kick. Ponte Preta didn't seem to want to get back into the game and in the second half it was Wellington who rounded off an impressive 3-0 win.

Our final match in what proved to be a less busy month of June was a trip to the Vila Belmiro to face legendary side Santos. I didn't have many high expectations for the game, just maybe aim for a draw and not embarrass ourselves. My pesimistic outlook looked to be accurate fairly early on when Luciano Sorriso completed an astounding passing move by the Santos team and slided the ball past Barbosa into the net for 1-0. This proved to be a pivotal moment in the match as Santos could have quite easily put another 3 or 4 past us. However a Rogerio own goal changed things as the Santos defender provided a disastrous pass back to the keeper which found its way into the net and suddenly it was 1-1. We managed to hold Santos at 1-1 until the break, however nobody was expecting the second half that was about to follow. Almost immediately after the break Wellington popped up and combined with Julaino beautifully to make it 2-1, the travelling CAHA fans going crazy in the stands. Amazingly just two minutes later a Juliano corner found Wellington and the in form striker headed home from about a yard out to make it 3-1. It would take Santos until very late in the game to respond which they predictably did, Samuel firing the ball past Barbosa afer being put through by Sorriso to make it 3-2 and set up a nervy finish. Santos pushing forward for that equaliser opened inevitable gaps in the defence and late on a counter attack exploited this, Wellington beat the last defender one on one but was soon beat for pace and disposessed, luckily Joao Paulo was in support and he chipped the ball forward for Wellington to smash on the volley, the keeper parried it but could not stop it from finding the net, and that goal wrapped up an incredible 4-2 win.

Results

Palmeiras 1-2 TV H First Division Wellington

Ponte Preta 3-0 H First Division Wellington(2), Juliano

Santos 4-2 A First Division Wellington(3), Rogerio own goal

</pre>

The win against Santos had injected a level of confidence Sam had never seen at the club before. Suddenly relegation was pushed to the back of all the player's minds and qualification into the South American competitions was now being whispered amongst the squad, a faint hope that could become reality. Sam had just finished a meeting with Juninho Pernambucano as he made his monthly visit to the Hermann Youth camp. Although the name had now been restored to Hermann Aichinger Under 20's by Wolfgang. Juninho had pointed out a promising goalkeeper by the name of Daniel Alvarez, half Brazilian half Argentine and still only 15, Sam had to admit the kid looked good and he remembered seeing Daniel play in the friendly a few months back. Plenty of time to develop he thought. Aside from Daniel it was the usual level of players that would stay until the age of about 18 and then be released, winding up playing in the Third Division or non league. Sam wondered whether any home-grown talent would ever come through the ranks but remembering the facilities that had been installed and the further improvements that were to be made, the chances of this were increasing every day.

Sam began to make his way to where his car was parked, as he prepared to make the journey back to Ilha de Santa Catarina. His improved wage had allowed him to buy a pretty decent car for the first time in his life. It was a brand new British Racing Green Jaguar XKR and it was Sam's pride and joy as it had taken several month's in savings to buy. Up against Juninho and Ronaldo's cars it looked pathetic but it was perfect for Sam and along with the apartment it was the only thing of real value he had bought so far. As he made his way down the steps to the car park, his phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Sam, how delightful to speak with you again."

"Helmut? I thought you were in jail?"

"The German prison system is not so barbaric that they will not let us use the telephone from time to time."

"What do you want?"

"Just to speak with you, we did not have much time for conversation the last time we met when I was staring down the barrell of your gun. You may think you have won your club back for good and this is most probably true, but ask yourself this. Was your life a worthy price?"

"What can you do from behind bars?"

At that moment a huge explosion tore apart the car park, flinging Sam backward against a wall. The XKR was a burning wreck and it had obviously been a car bomb. The noise and heat made Sam delirious as he tried to scramble to his feet, he saw his mobile on the ground and could hear a chuckling laughter eminating from it followed by.

"We are watching you"

July 2010

Our first game in July was arguably the toughest encounter of the season, away to reigning champions Corinthians. The champions hadn't made the best of starts to their defence of the title and if we were to ever get a result against them, now was probably the ideal time. As predicted the home side dominated the early play and caused a lot of problems for the defence. Bobo and Marcelinho were a real handful but somehow we withstood the pressure. Our first real opening came direct from a goal kick from Barbosa. The huge kick bounced deep in Corinthians half and neither of the Corinthians centre backs seemed to want to deal with it. The lack of communication allowed Fagner Galvao to run onto it and despite a last ditch attempt to clear by Rafael, Galvao delicately lobbed the on-rushing Julio Cesar to give us a shock 1-0 lead just before half time. In the second half, Carpegiani called upon Dinelson and Jo to come on to give them a more attacking edge in the hunt for an equaliser. It would prove to be one of Jo's last matches before his big money move to Lyon. Neither him or Dinelson could find a goal and we came away with a shock 1-0 win. It was our third straight win and took us to the dizzy heights of 4th in the league.

Next up was the visit of Atletico Paranaense and a return to the Baixada for last season's on loan striker Ricardinho. Ricardinho was part of an impressive squad that Paranaense possessed this season. Cleiton Xavier was one of these impressive players and he put Paranaense ahead on 15 minutes. Whoshington managed to grab an equaliser just before half time to send us in at the break 1-1. In the second half, young Argentine Pablo Correa put us 2-1 ahead almost straight away with a neat headed finish. We had hoped to hold out for all three points, but it was Ricardinho that left us with just the one as he equalised and ended the game 2-2. His form on loan for us last season is without doubt the reason he is being given his chance at Paranaense and he seems to be doing very well.

We finished July with two rather embarrasing defeats on the back of such a good run of form. First was Sport Recife who had come runners up to us in the Second Division last season. In this match they made us look far inferior and goals from Leandro Paraiba and Giuseppe plus a catastrophic own goal by Juan Guillermo Pinzon had put them 4-0 up. Jorge Gimenez managed to get a late consolation from the spot to end the game 4-1. Secondly we were beaten at home by a far superior Sao Paulo side. Goals from Tcho, who later moved to PSV Eindhoven, Last season's Sout American player of the year Diego Lugano and talented strikers Roger and Diego Tardelli wrapped up a 4-0 win.

Results

Corinthians 1-0 TV A First Division Galvao

Atletico Paranaense 2-2 H First Division Whoshington, Correa

Sport Recife 1-4 A First Division Gimenez

Sao Paulo 0-4 TV H First Division

</pre>

The car bomb at the training ground reached the front page of most newspapers around South America let alone Brazil, Sam was shaken but maintained a stoic attitude in carrrying on with his work in spite of the renewed danger his life was in. He was somehow used to it all now and what at first might have phased him now just made him stronger. Wolfgang was surprised to see the NPD re-surface so soon.

"So they're back?"

"It would seem so, one thing is for sure they now owe me a car. I'd recommend checking your Porsche before you get in it every morning"

"Yeah, no car bombs so far though. It seems to be you the vendetta is aimed at, after all it was you that shot him"

"Didn't kill the bastard though did it? I thought you said this would be the end of the whole 'people trying to kill us' thing?"

"It's beyond me why the NPD aren't in the gutter by now, I really did think this would be the end of them."

"I don't think its neccesarily a political party anymore, just a bunch of people that really want to kill us. Anyway, I best be going. Got to prepare for this Parana game tomorrow, I'm convinced we can beat them."

"Take care"

Across from the ground was a fairly large park area and beyond that tall blocks of terraced flats. On one of the numerous top floor balconies, a man lay prone viewing the exit to the ground through the telescopic sight of the rifle that was mounted on a tripod, the barrel covered in a large dark tarp to disguise it. A silencer was attached on the muzzle, it would make the shot much harder but the man was efficient enough at his job. Suddenly he got what he waiting for, his target came out of the exit to the ground and leant against a wall, firing up a cigarette. Judging the wind and distance, the man nudged the rifle a fraction to the left. He then punched in a few numbers on his mobile phone and recieved an immediate answer.

"Yes?"

"I have a clear shot, do I permission to fire?"

"DO NOT kill the target, just give him something to think about"

"Understood"

The man led and observed the target's movements. Suddenly he got the opportunity he was after, the target just tilted his head to the left. The man pulled the trigger.

As Sam was having a cigarette before he caught the bus home, his mobile went off. He let the cigarette hang from his mouth as he fumbled to find his phone. At that moment a zipping noise was followed by a loud crack, Sam recoiled and was shocked to find that the cigarette had been snatched out of his mouth by what he could only presume was bullet. He finally found his phone as he ducked for cover incase more bullets were inbound. He answered the phone.

"Hello!?"

A Germanic sounding voice answered.

"Smoking is a bad habit for you"

Archived