Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

Rivals Clash: Capital City Merchants FC v. Cove Bay Pirates, Dutch Premier Division

Date: 11.11.09

Venue: Capital City Stadium

Preview

Cove Bay were flying high coming into this game while the Merchants were looking to kickstart their season as they sat midtable. Form and history seemed to be on the Pirates' side but there was one major problem for them leading into the game: 1st choice keeper Iker Reina was out with a sprained ankle. After the departure of Kroeger in the summer, Cove Bay had not signed a replacement leaving them with only two back-up keepers in the U-19s. The first one played against Heerenveen and shipped 4 goals - luckily for him his team scored 5 to get the win. So, for the Merchants game, he was dropped and youth goalie number 2 came in (no screenie yet as that would give away the goals conceded icon_wink.gif) - needless to stay, the quality was not much better.

The Line-Ups - in contrast to last season, it is the Merchants who start with more of the original players (4 in total compared with Cove Bay's 2).

1st Half

The Merchants had an obvious game plan from the start: to put the 16 year-old Wout de Haan under as much pressure as possible. And it paid off as new boy Alexandr Gatkan scored after just 8 minutes. It was all one way traffic early on as Merchants piled on the pressure. They doubled their lead on 27 minutes as de Haan haplessly flapped at a cross leaving the Argentine Pellegrino to head into an empty net. Cove Bay started to play possession football to keep the pressure off the young goalie and began to ake some headway. They pulled one back shortly before halftime as Tim Janssen latched onto a through ball to make it 2-1.

2nd Half

After the break, the match played out fairly evenly as both sides created chances. The Cove Bay keeper managed to perform better, making a couple of vital saves. Cove Bay were having their chances too but their momentum was disturbed when Craig Healy had to leave the field of play after a blow to the face. Minutes later Kyle Long was taken off - a rough introduction to the rivalry for the young American as he ended up with fractured ribs. The Merchants then sat back happy to play out the remainder of the game as Cove Bay couldn't find a way back.

Final Score: Capital City Merchants 2 Cove Bay 1

Merchants Ratings & Stats

Cove Bay Ratings & Stats

And for those of you who have been paying attention, here's the other dodgy 16 year-old

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November 2009 International Update, World Cup Play-Off

Crunch time for NTI then as they faced Colombia for the right to play in the World Cup.

Leg 1

With the first leg at home, NTI were looking to put themsleves in a strong position. Unfortunately for them, they got a rude awakening as their South American opponents dominated them from start to finish. They suffered a major setback when the Colombians took the lead on 30 minutes. NTI managed only 2 shots all game and never looked like threatening their opponents. A second goal towards the end of the game deflated NTI hopes even further.

Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 0 Colombia 2

NTI Ratings & Stats

Leg 2

NTI faced an uphill task as they travelled to Barranquilla needing to put 3 past their hosts to go through. This game was much more even as both sides shared posession and NTI manged to create almost as many chances as their opponents. The experienced Colombians played the match cooly though and frustrated the Northerners constantly. The best chance of the game came when Colombia were awarded a penalty but Le Quack was on hand once more to make the save.

Final Score: Colombia 0 Northern Treasure Islands 0 (Colombia advance 2-0 on aggregate.

NTI Ratings & Stats

So the dream is over for the Northern Treasure Islanders. To make things worse, they will have to sit at home and watch next summer as their Southern rivals make thier World Cup debut in South Africa.

STI, meanwhile, had one friendly; a straightforward 2-0 win over Anguilla (player ratings and stats).

Originally posted by Robert_296:

I made a start for the club playing the full 90 minutes and got a decent rating of 7 icon_eek.gif although I think I don't get picked for the national squad anymore. icon_frown.gif

Boyle is having a great season up front for the Merchants. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see his stats in the next domestic update. icon_wink.gif

End of Year 2009 International Review

Northern Treasure Islands

Ultimately a year of hurt for NTI as they missed out on automatic qualification for the World Cup by two points and ten had a tough play-off draw against Colombia. (Had results gone slightly differently in South America, they could have faced an easier task with Peru or Chile). Nevertheless, the side is improving and I'm sure they will be looking to qualify for the World Cup with ease next time. NTI finished the year with a world ranking of 67th.

NTI Fixtures & Results (2009)

NTI Info Screen

NTI All-time Caps List

Southern Treasure Islands

By contrast, a year of celebration and hope for the future in the South as STI made it out of the final qualifying phase undefeated. In the end, the Southerners may have been slightly disappointed with their 4th placed finish at the Gold Cup but that experience will prove invaluable ahead of next summer's World Cup.

World Cup Draw (Group C) - Germany will provide tough opposition so STI will be looking to get results off Turkey and Cameroon in order to reach the next round.

STI Results & Fixtures (2009) - 17 matches in the year!

STI Info Screen

STI All-time Caps List

Finally, an international start, what a pleasant surprise icon_biggrin.gif (although it was more because of an injury to the other keeper icon_wink.gif )

a good rating of 8 and a clean sheet too in the match.

great going STI ! kutgw.

NTI fail to qualify icon_frown.gif Was always going to be difficult to beat Columbia though, they're an established nation and have experience on their side, which means a a lot on the international stage. Interesting how we performed so much better in the away leg.

Consolation prize of beating the pirates in the league at least, in what looked like a really close game. I notice Peralta is listed for loan which could turn out ok; if he was slotted straight into the first team then more chance of his repuation outstripping the clubs before long. Still, a game or two wouldn't hurt his development. General Specific looking pretty established in the DMC position at international level so it'll be awhile before he gets an opportunity at that level.

Great updates DD, and really ood idea about the renamed club teams; it's a pity that Merchants cancelled so many links so early on, must be something to do with the difference in club reputations I guess. Speaking of which, sorry if it's been mentioned already but did you alter the club reputations of merchants/pirates at all, or the league reputation of Dutch first division? Not that it matters either way, just curious. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by McTavish:

Great updates DD, and really good idea about the renamed club teams; it's a pity that Merchants cancelled so many links so early on, must be something to do with the difference in club reputations I guess. Speaking of which, sorry if it's been mentioned already but did you alter the club reputations of merchants/pirates at all, or the league reputation of Dutch first division? Not that it matters either way, just curious. icon_smile.gif

I left the Dutch league reputation level unaltered - I figured it would be difficult to stop players leaving anyway and didn't want to skew the game too much. As for the Merchants/Cove Bay reps, I set them to match that of other teams in the first division. I tried it with higher reps but then I found during a test run that the clubs just ended up signing estbalished players and putting our guys in the reserves. Maybe with a bit more experience, I can get the balance right for an FM 09 version. icon_wink.gif

P.S. Thanks for sorting the broken link. icon14.gif

Shame that we didnt manage to qualify fot the World Cup, but just like McTavish mentioned, Colombia are a very decent side and we actually did really well in the away leg!!

Miltinho has made the squad for those two games, that international debut is getting closer and closer!!

KUTGW icon14.gif

I've taken the game to the end of the transfer window (January 31st 2010) so I'll try to get an update done tomorrow with the league tables, player stats and, of course, transfer news.

Teaser: 6 of our sign-up players are on the move, including one on his way to Olympique Marseille for 13.75m pounds!! icon_eek.gif

End Of January 2010 Update: Transfer Window

France is the new place to go this year as 4 more players from the Islands made the move there in January to join the three Northerners already there.

No transfers in at City Merchants and only some deadwood shipped out. Cove Bay, however, let three more STI internationals go as Juan Carlos and Gwilym J. James both left for France having not featured in the first team much so far this season. The departure of Edduado was not a surprise as he had been unhappy for a long time and wanting to leave. What was surprising though was the club he chose to sign for. After all the AC Milan interest and speculation, he opted for Club Brugge. icon_confused.gif

As one player headed for Belgium, two left with Roberto dos Santos quitting AA Gent for Nürnberg and Diego Polo sick of bench-warming at Genk and choosing to join the others in France.

The biggest move of the transfer window also involved a player going to France as Ryca Roseau swopped Berlin for the South of France, joining Marseille for a whopping 13.75 mil!!

One more transfer of note: the feeder clubs started to bear fruit as Joep Beukers signed for Cove bay from MGM Grand. icon14.gif

Transfer Summary

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Player From To Fee

Juan Carlos Cove Bay AJ Auxerre 975k

Gwilym J.James Cove Bay AS Nancy 1.6m

Edduado Cove Bay Club Brugge 2.9m

R. dos Santos AA Gent Nürnberg 3.1m

Diego Polo Genk RC Lens 2m

Ryca Roseau Hertha Berlin Marseille 13.75m</pre>

Wanted Players (i.e. those of you who had offers but didn't get transferred) icon_wink.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Player Wanted By

Nathaniel Ball Aston Villa, Roma

Maccaniniho Club Brugge

A.da Silva Santos Hertha Berlin

Wrighty Monaco, Nürnberg, Getafe

Ramiro AS Saint-Etienne

Dirtihno Spurs, Lyon, Ajax, Espanyol, Zaragoza

Bob McBob* 14 Clubs

Craig Healy* 17 Clubs</pre>

* These players are still unhappy about their clubs' refusal to sell.

Injuries (nothing to do with transfers but just in case you see 'inj' next to your name in the player lists)

icon_wink.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Player Injury

Paul Hart broken ankle (2-3 months out)

Adam Wilkinson damaged foot (2-3 weeks)

Cap'n Gingerbread broken leg (4 months)

Miltinho broken toe (2 months)

Robert Boyle thigh strain (2-3 weeks)</pre>

Comiserations to Captain Gingerbread, who will miss the rest of the season and faces a battle to get fit for the World Cup. icon_frown.gif

Where are they now?

Here are some screenies of the players (by nationality) and their current clubs (plus values and salaries). icon14.gif

Where are they now? (Northern Treasure Islands)

Where are they now? (Southern Treasure Islands)

I'll be back later with the current league tables and player stats (February 1st 2010).

End of January 2010 Update: Domestic Leagues & Player Stats

Here are the tables as of February 1st for all leagues featuring Tresure Island players:

Holland - Premier Division

1st Division

Belgium - Belgian 1st Division

England - Premier League

France -

Ligue 1

Germany -

Budesliga

And the player stats as we are just past the halfway point:

Player Stats (Northern Treasure Islands players)

Southern Treasure Islands

Originally posted by Walcott's Wonderkids:

Trevor Tobago still hoping that long awaited loan deal comes along at some point. icon14.gif

Some breaking news of importance for you - Tobabgo made his league debut for PSV in February and picked up a rating of 7. icon14.gif Next season could bring greater things!

Originally posted by Robert_296:

I'm one of the five left at Merchants, not sure if that is good or bad.

Looking quite good at the moment as Merchants look set for a European play-off spot. Boyle is also one of the league's top scorers. icon14.gif

icon13.gif Knocked out by Colombia icon_frown.gif

icon14.gif Merchants beat Cove Bay icon_biggrin.gif

icon13.gif Bob McBob's worth more icon_frown.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif Good luck with that group STI. You'll need it.

icon_eek.gificon14.gif Marseille for $13.75M! And I'm now the highest paid Islander! How about that! I'm rich!

icon13.gif Marseille really needed my help apparently. They are sucking it up, big time. How did Nantes and Lorient get so good?

February & March 2010 International Update

Both sides of the Islands decided to take their skills on the road as they each played two friendlies away from home.

Northern Treasure Islands travelled to Sint Maarten in February and came away with the expected result as Ryca Roseau bagged a hat trick and Roberto dos Santos added a penalty.

Final Score: Sint Maarten 0 Northern Treasure Islands 4

NTI Ratings & Stats

On the same day, STI were also in the Carribean as they took on the US Virgin Isles. Jason de Mire and Brendanio each picked up a brace and Bobihno completed the rout.

Final Score: US Virgin Isles 0 Southern Treasure Islands 5

STI Ratings & Stats

In March both teams went further afield. NTI, obviously looking to help sweeten some deals for the bigwigs back in Capital City, travelled to Dubai to take on the UAE. A lacklustre performance resulted in a disappointing defeat compıunded by an injury to Le Quack, now out for a month with a twisted knee.

Final Score: UAE 3 Northern Treasure Islands 0

NTI Ratings & Stats

STI headed all the way over to Taiwa... I mean Chinese Taipei for their friendly. icon_wink.gif They got a decent result, dominating the game and winning by two goals courtesy of Elliot Druce and Brendanio. I'm sure the Cove Bay manager and his counterpart at AS Nancy-Lorainne will be questioning the decision to play such a friendly in March as David Sunderland suffered fractured ribs during the game (out for 2 months) and Gwilym J. James twisted his knee (out for 3-4 weeks). STI will be hoping they both get back to fitness ahead of the World Cup.

Final Score: Chinese Taipei 0 Southern Treasure Islands 2

STI Ratings & Stats

Back soon with the latest Cove Bay/Merchants match! icon_smile.gif

Archived