Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by NeoAC:

although I can't make out who our sponsors are, or even if they are real......

They are real; Swedish internet company "The Pirate Bay" aptly stepped in to sponsor Cove Bay while the International Monetary Fund provided sponsorship for the Merchants.

I have to say those kits are stunning McTavish... KUTGW and looking forward to seeing you in the game icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

I will try to get the play-off and World Cup Qualifier updates done tomorrow with Gold Cup and end of season updates later in the week (can't do much today as it's my wedding anniversary icon_smile.gif - taking the missus out for dinner later.)

Don't worry about it - you enjoy yourself! And Congratulations icon_biggrin.gif

Come on Cove Bay don't be outdone by the Merchants.

Also i now know why I'm not starting for the national team, they don't play a formation with my position.

Anyway the Kits are looking good, Come on the South.

And is there any interest in me from any other teams, i don't think standard can win major trophies and i want to win major trophies..... It annoys me when i get that message can't keep good talent France for some reason....

May 2009 Update - European Places Play-Off

Capital City Merchants were hopeful of a good performance in the play-offs as they looked to make thier mark in Europe. Unfortunately, they suffered a set-back ahead of their first game - NTI had two world cup qualifiers scheduled at the same time as the first two games against FC Twente. Normally, the games would have been postponed but the Merchants transfer policy backfired on them as the Dutch FA ruled that only a few players would be missing so the games would go ahead. This all meant the Merchants would go into their games without hometown heores Jack Harrow, Pablo Gonzaléz and Alfonso da Silva Santos. They would also be short in defence as The Stig had been called up for the STI squad.

Leg 1

FC Twente came to Capital City hoping to take advantage of the Merchants depleted team. And that is exactly what they did as they controlled the game and came away with a comfortable 2-0 win.

Final Score: Capital City Merchants FC 0 FC Twente 2

Merchants Ratings & Stats (no interest for our players but I thought I should post this for consistency).

Leg 2

The Merchants played their second leg on the same day as NTI's game against Cuba. Residents all over the Northern part of the Islands were seen setting up two TVs in their living rooms in order to follow both games. The Merchants task was tough but they still had the belief they could get the 2 goal win they needed. And they were to dominate the game as they kept the ball and tried to build up attacks slowly. They were lacking slightly in front of goal though and didn't get their breakthrough until the 71st minute when Belarussian international Kornilenko scored. The final 20 mins were frantic as they chased a vital second but it was not to be as they won the match but lost the tie.

Final Score: FC Twente 0 Capital City Merchants FC 1 (FC Twent win 2-1 on aggregate).

Merchants Ratings & Stats

North American World Cup Qualifying, Final Phase: May 2009 Update

Two games for both of our nations took place in May as they sought to take a big step towards securing qualification for South Africa.

NTI had a crunch away tie with Honduras. A win would see them leap frog the Central Americans into 3rd place. A loss would leave them with some catching up to do. It all started brightly as Roberto dos Santos gave the visitors the lead on 16 mins after great play by Adam Flash. The Hondurans were frustrated as NTI held onto the ball well and restricted their chances. Towards the end of the half however, the home side started to get back into it and equalised shortly before the break. Both teams had chances to win in the second half but it was Honduras who got the break scoring the winning goal with 6 minutes to go.

Final Score: Honduras 2 Northern Treasure Islands 1

NTI Ratings & Stats

That result meant NTI's visit to Havana had become all the more vital as they needed a win to stay in the hunt. The Northerners did their best to put the Merchants clash in Holland out of their minds and stay focused on the task at hand. They were certainly in control of the tie as they dominated possession again. Bob McBob put NTI ahead just after the half hour mark. In the second half, he turned provider as Ryca Roseau doubled the lead and secured a most important win.

Final Score: Cuba 0 Northern Treasure Islands 2

NTI Ratings & Stats

STI faced their biggest test so far as they arrived in San Diego to take on the USA. It seemed they would suffer the same fate as rivals NTI as they fell behind after 4 minutes and went 2-0 down just after the hour. They then started a fightback and it was captain The Stig who got STI back in it when he headed home an Elliot Druce corner. The Southern Islanders kept their hosts on the back foot for the remainder of the game as they chased that all important second goal. As the game entered injury time, it seemed as though STI wouldn't be able to do it. That is until the ball fell to Juan Carlos. The winger stormed down the right wing and floated a cross right onto the head of de Mire, who made no mistake and levelled the match!

Final Score: USA 2 Southern Treasure Islands 2

STI Ratings & Stats

The Southerners went into their game with Jamaica looking for a win to keep them in touch with the Americans. They dominated the match from the start and created several chances but were constantly frustrated by the Jamaicans. Indeed, the visitors caused a few scares too and the central defensive trio of Wrighty, The Stig & Maccaniniho had to stay alert. Reina was also called upon to make some key saves. try as they might, the boys from the South just couldn't get the breakthrough and the match finished goaless.

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 0 Jamaica 0

STI Ratings & Stats

A mixed bag for both nations then. NTI will be dissappointed that they couldn't get at least a draw against Honduras but they also managed to finally get an way win against Cuba. STI will be very pleased with the point earned against USA but will also be ruing their missed chances as they tied with Jamaica.

Standings after 5 games

At the halfway point, STI seem to be in a good position. They will be confident of beating Honduras and Cuba again and should be able to get a better result against Jamiaca next time. Their home ties against rivals NTI and the leaders USA will be vital, especially as the game with the Americans will be the final match. NTI have a tough line up for their next three gams: away to STI, home to USA and away to Jamiaca. They need results from all of those games to stay in the hunt. Their final game is also potentially vital - home to Honduras.

icon13.gif Damn Dutch FA, always trying to keep the Islands down!

icon13.gif Big loss to Honduras icon_frown.gif

icon14.gif Scored against Cuba. Take that Castro!

icon14.gif Next game against the dirty Southerners is going to be huge, a win putting us over them. Let's hope we can come through big here.

first international goal as captain away at usa. get in! now for the gold cup. c'mon the sti's. another fa to hate after the dutch fa didn't reschedule the play-off games. kutgw mate

2008/9 Round-Up: European Leagues

Just thought I'd squeeze in the final tables for all the leagues along with any season summaries or Best XIs that are of interest to our players, before getting onto the Gold Cup. icon_smile.gif

Holland

Dutch premier League Final Table

Dutch Season Summary - the Merchants are officially overacheivers!

A shame the Merchants couldn't qualify for Europe but good to see both teams set to pick up the rivalry once more next season. icon14.gif The Northerners & Southerners filling up the PSV and NEC squads will be relishing the prospect of European competition next year too.

The following best XIs included players from the North and/or South:

Cove Bay Pirates Best XI

Cove Bay Overall Best XI - a few more familair faces there. icon_wink.gif

Capital City Merchants FC Best XI

Capital City Merchants Overall Best XI - many more familiar faces! icon_razz.gif

NEC Best XI

Feyenoord Best XI

PSV Best XI - chances at the Eindhoven club were limited for most of our players so well done to Arthur White for his inclusion in the team of the season. icon14.gif

Germany

Bundesliga Final Table

German Season Summary

Good seasons for Bob McBob at Wolfsburg and Roseau and Pendros at Hertha Berlin (although they were harshly dubbed underachievers despite winning the cup), who will all feature in Europe next term as will Ball as Dortmund head to the Champions' League. icon14.gif Not so good for General Specific, whose transfer window move to Leverkusen was rated as one of the worst of the season. icon_redface.gif

The following sides were wise enough to vote treasure Islanders into their best XIs: icon_wink.gif

Bochum Best XI - Druce gets a look in despite a disappointing season for the club.

Hertha Berlin Best XI - a deserved inclusion for Roseau. icon14.gif

Wolfsburg Best XI - likewise for McBob.

icon14.gif

Belgium

In the next most popular destination for the Islanders, the season finished by this.

Belgian First Division Final Table

Belgian Season Summary

Congrats to Theo Henry Gooner as he also picked up a cup winners medal and will feature in Europe next season. icon14.gif Comiserations to Ben Cee, whose Mouscron side were relegated.

The Belgian teams chose their Best XIs as follows:

AA Gent Best XI - dos Santos features despite stuggling to settle in Belgium.

Club Brugge Best XI - caps off a good season for Israel.

icon14.gif

Genk Best XI

Mouscron Best XI

Standard Best XI

England

English Premier League Final Table

English Season Summary

A great season for Liverpool then though Spud only made a few appearances. In fact, in those he did make, he suffered the ignomnity of being declared one of the worst signings of the season. Sunderland also did well but Le Quack was not played at all, spending the season in the U18s.

I'll be back with Gold Cup reports soon, closely followed by end of season screenies and info for the players. icon14.gif

2009 Gold Cup - Group Phase

I'll have to ask the NTI buys to bear with me whil I report on the Southerners Gold Cup adventure. icon_wink.gif

Remarkably, after just 2 seasons on the international scene, Southern Treasure Islands were invited to join the elite of CONCACAF at the Gold Cup. All the boys who had started out at Cove Bay the previous season were present, intent on making history.

The Squad

STI were drawn in Group C along with USA, Honduras and Guatemala.

Game 1

Up first, hosts USA. After a surprise draw in the World Cup Qualifiers, the Southern Islanders were out to go one better this time. It all looked good as Captain Gingerbread gave the debutants the lead with a mere 4 minutes on the clock. STI then set about controlling the game as they dominated possession. The Americans still had their chances though and tired legs cost STI as Eddie Johnson was able to grab the equaliser with 8 minutes left. Nevertheless, a draw was a great result.

Final Score: USA 1 Southern Treasure Islands 1

STI Ratings and Stats (v USA)

Game 2

Up next, Guatemala, whom STI had dispatched comfortbaly in the second phase of World Cup Qualifying. It was much the same this time as STI incredibly prevented their opponents from managing even a single shot on goal! It still took 47 minutes to get the first goal though, courtesy of David Sunderland. A second was added late on by de Mire but Guatemala never stood a chance.

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 2 Guatemala 0

STI Ratings & Stats (v. Guatemala)

Game 3

STI still needed to avoid defeat against Honduras to ensure qualification. A win would help them avoid the other group winners in the next round too. Captain Gingerbread was the hero once more as he grabbed a hat-trick. The SOutherners were lethal going forward and even the loss of Brendanio with a knock did not break their momentum. Ramiro also got amongst the goals as the Hondurans were routed 4-0.

Final Score: Honduras 0 Southern Treasure Islands 4

STI Ratings & Stats (v. Honduras)

A fantastic start to the tournament for STI then as they topped thier group thanks to a better goal difference than the Yanks.

Gold Cup Final Group Tables

Group B was of particular interest for NTI as all 4 teams have played them at some point in World Cup Qualifying. Interesting tht the only team in the final phase, Jamaica, finished bottom! Still some strong teams in the quarter final draw then. STI's opponents? Panama. The winner of that tie will face the winner of the clash between Cuba and USA in the semis. Can the Southern Islanders go all the way? Watch this space..... icon_wink.gif

icon14.gif Merchants were overachievers icon_smile.gif

icon14.gif Still in the overall best 11.

icon13.gif Hertha Berlin = underachievers

icon14.gif We're going to Europe icon_biggrin.gif

icon14.gif In the Best 11. I appeared to work well with Rafael. Which one is he again?

icon13.gif Southerners didn't crash out, but at least Canada advanced icon_smile.gif

great updates as usual mate!

I just wish i could get on the pitch for the STI. (still, i'll bask in the reflective glory anyhow, i 'm obviously a valued member of the squad!) icon_wink.gif

I noticed my guy is wanted? who's after him? bigger and better than NEC?

Im Still getting in the nat. team but i wonder, how many caps do i have because it seems that I'm always benched. Also i see that i have a 'wnt' next to my guy, Can i see who the teams are plaese?

Also how could the Merchants finish above us...!!! Its like their in some government conspiracy against the pirate...their jealous of our beards...hehe

Right, not posted here for a while, sorry about that, it's been a busy week or so.

Captain Gingerbread once more struck gold against the Merchants as he helped his NEC team back from 2 goals down by scoring one and creating another.

Good lad, always a thorn in their side, that's what I like to see.

Treasure Island Rivals Announce New Kit Deals

Those kits are awesome McTavish, great work mate. I especially like the pirate ship on the kits, great touch.

It all looked good as Captain Gingerbread gave the debutants the lead with a mere 4 minutes on the clock.

Goal against the States, thats pretty impressive.

Captain Gingerbread was the hero once more as he grabbed a hat-trick.

Says it all, Legendary icon_cool.gif

Nice to see STI doing well internationally, disapointed with the draw against Jamaica though, especially after drawing with the states.

Cove Bay stayed up, watch out Merchants, we're after you in the new season. icon14.gificon_wink.gif

And finally, excellent updates Dodge, a great read, really enjoying following this icon14.gif

2009 Gold Cup - Knockout Stages

Quarter Final: Southern Treasure Islands v. Panama

STI came into their quarter final match-up full of expectation even though this was their debut tournament. It looked as though they may have been over-confident as Panama gave them a reality check by taking the lead on 9 minutes. STI needed a while to settle and very nearly went two down but were rescued by keeper Reina. The Southerners nerves were settled when stike partners Gingerbread and de Mire combined in the 38th minute with the latter scoring the goal to ensure the teams were level at the break. Composure restored, STI took control in the second half and their pressure was rewarded with a penalty on 73 minutes which de Mire converted for his brace. Panama tried to level the game but didn't really threatened and the contest was over when substitute Bobinho added a thrid after great play down the wing by Clatworthy.

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 3 Panama 1

STI Ratings & Stats (v. Panama)

Semi Final: USA v. Southern Treasure Islands

The air of anticipation was high before this game. Could the debutants really make the final? Another testing match with the USA was all that stood in the way. As was the case with the previous two meetings between these sides, it was a close affiar so when Eddie johnson gave the Americans the lead, STI heads didn't drop and they kept playing the ball into danger areas. The equaliser came as Wrighty flicked on a corner for Gingerbread to volley into the net. The second half was an evenly-matched, tense affair but produced no further goals. In extra time, legs started to waver and the experience of the Americans began to show. Eddie Johnson scored again in the first period and there was no way back for the Southern Islanders.

Final Score: USA 2 Southern Treasure Islands 1 (aet)

STI Ratings and Stats (v. USA)

Third Place Play-Off: Southern Treasure Islands v. Canada

It wasn't over just yet as STI had to play for third place against the Canadians, who were beaten by Mexico in the other semi. It all started promisingly as Brendanio scored from a Wilkinson cross. STI had the majority of possession but failed to take advantage. They paid the price when the canadians equalised midway through the second half. Once more, extra time was necessary. Canada took the lead on 100 minutes - exactly the same time as Johnson's winner in the semi - and it proved to be the winner in this match too.

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 1 Canada 2 (aet)

STI Ratings & Stats (v. Canada)

4th place then - respectable for a debut tournament but I'm sure the Southern Islanders will feel a little disappointed they couldn't do more. They didn't even have the onsolaiton of being knocked out by the winners as USA were beaten 2-0 by Mexico in the finaÅŸ, a result which shows how much the Islanders have upset the balance of North American football as Mexico didn't even make the group stages of the World Cup Qualifiers (we all know who was responsible for that icon_biggrin.gif).

2009 Gold Cup Player Stats

A good showing by several of the Southern Treasure Islanders, which will no doubt create much interest as the summer transfer window comes around. icon_wink.gif Most notable were Captain Gingerbread, who finished joint second in the scoring charts and supplied a couple of goals too and Clatworthy, who had an impressive pass rate.

N.B. I was expecting to see a 'dream team' or 'player of the tournament' award but there doesn't seem to be either.

All in all, a good tournament which will provide useful experience should the boys from the South make the World Cup. icon14.gif

2008/9 End of Season Profiles and Stats: Northern Treasure Islands

Seeing as the previous couple of updates were only of real interest to the Southern side of the rivalry, I thought I'd do the NTI screenies first. icon_wink.gif As the players are dispersed now, I'll give a club by club round-up. icon14.gif

Capital City Merchants FC

Let's start with the two new boys. icon_smile.gif

Emilio Peralta - the young DM was promoted staright into the first team squad. icon14.gif

Miltinho - the young AML is currently available for loan but should be ready for the first team soon.

(You two also get regen pictures! Hope they are to your liking). icon_wink.gif

And this season's overachievers....

Jack Harrow - another solid season as No. 1. icon14.gif

Alfonso da Silva Santos - established as first choice right back. Attracted interest from Anderlecht, Monaco and Saint-Etienne.

Dirtihno - a fantastic season for the winger with 12 assists and a high average rating. Also wanted by Monaco.

Pablo Gonzaléz - a frustraing season with limited first team chances. Has attracted attention from Leverkusen and Frieburg, however.

Robert Boyle - same story as Gonzaléz, although he did make a few appearnaces for the national side.

Cove Bay Pirates

Adam Flash - another good season at the heart of the Pirates' defence. Racked up 11 international caps too!

PSV

Ben Roscrow - after only three appearances for the first team, Roscrow has agreed to move on again as he will play in France for Saint-Etienne next season.

Trevor Tobago - just 4 starts for PSV, which also meant Tobago didn't get any action for the national side. Currently happy at the club and available on loan.

Arthur White - had more action than his countrymen and got a few goals. Should feature more regularly next season.

NEC

Haowan - managed to get on with his STI teamates in the end and had a good season. icon_wink.gif Regular for NTI too.

Hertha Berlin

Cabinboy Pendros - a good first season in Germany. Ever present for NTI with 12 caps! A return to Holland may be in the offing as PSV are tracking his progress.

Ryca Roseau - a good season for the AMC, especially in Europe. icon14.gif

Wolfsburg

Bob McBob - a solid debut season in Germany. Set to star in europe next term.

Leverkusen

General Specific - didn't settle well in Germany but still featured regularly for NTI. Most likely on the move for next season as Mainz and Nürnberg have oth made offers of around 4mil.

AA Gent

Roberto dos Santos - struggled to match last season's form at his new club. Still got 9 more caps for NTI.

Club Brugge

Rebel Israel - a good season for the defender in Belgium. Ever present for NTI. Auxerre, Hertha Berlin and West Ham have all made bids for his services next season while Blackburn and Bordeaux are laso interested.

Genk

Theo Henry Gooner - a decent season for his new club with a cup winners medal to boot. Curently wanted by Blackburn, Monaco and AZ.

Diego Polo - a decent season for the right winger with a cup winners' medal to cap it off.

Mouscron

Ben Cee - suffered relegation with Muscron but he won't be around as they battle to get back up as he has agreed a deal with Gimnastic, making him the first Islander to go to Spain (albeit Liga BBVA).

Liverpool

Spud - spent most of the season in the reserves and didn't really impress in his few first team outings. Early days however and he should make more progress next season.

Sunderland

Gregory Le Quack - a learning season as he all season in the U-18s. Things are looking up for next season though as the two first team keepers, Gordon and Enke, look to be opn their way out.

That took a lot longer than I expected so STI updates and transfer deals/rumours will be done tomorrow. There is a teaser though as one Southerner is attracting attention from Italian giants AC Milan. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by GazTheDoood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is a teaser though as one Southerner is attracting attention from Italian giants AC Milan.

Sorry for the triple post, just spotted this, gotta be the Captain. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to disappoint you but it's not old Gingerbread. I can add an extra teaser and reveal that he will nevertheless be on the move to a team outside of Holland. icon_wink.gif

Nice to hear what Trevor Tobago has been upto.

His stats look surprisingly decent considering the lack of 1st team footy. Looking at his reserve performances he seems to be setting up a fair amount of assists and has a MoM ratio of almost 1:3 in those games!

Think a loan away from PSV would do me good and allow me a chance to stake a claim for a role in the NTI team. icon_smile.gif

Unlucky STIs - (unfortunate turn of phrase! icon_wink.gif), still a good effort to finish 4th in the Gold Cup though.

Cracking updates as always, KUTGW icon14.gif

Archived