Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

North American World Cup Qualifying Final Phase

World Cup qualifying has begun again with both our nations in the final phase 'super group'. Only one match is included in this report as I thought the next game deserves a report of it's own icon_wink.gif

Southern Treasure Islands

The boys from the south kicked off the final phase with familar opposition in the shape of Honduras. the match took much the same course as the previous round with STI running out comfortable 3-1 winners.

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 3 Honduras 1

STI Ratings & Stats

Northern Treasure Islands

The Northerners were also up against familar foes as they faced Jamaica in Capital City. AN early Rebel Israel goal set them on their way but they then faced an onslaught from the Jamaicans who equalised just before halftime. NTI were hanging on very tightly at times in the second period but a late Roseau goal ensured they took all three points.

Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 2 Jamaica 1

NTI Ratings & Stats

Up next: Northern Treasure Islands v. Southern Treasure Islands icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blackcats:

Good update, sad to see myself injured after geting in the team. Won't be online for a week cos im off on my hols. KUTGW tho

Enjoy your hols mate. icon14.gif Off anywhere sunny? icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, just got back from Egypticon_smile.gif. Loads of Updates to sift through which i shall enjoy doing. Kutgw

sounds like me irl. sory jase mate i was just doing as the manager wanted. hopefully it is time to destroy the nti's and qualify for the world cup. come on you sti's. kutgw.

North American World Cup Qualifying, Final Phase

Northern Treasure Islands v. Southern Treasure Islands

Date: 21.03.09

Venue: Capital City Stadium

Preview

Here it is - the biggest rivals' clash to date as the national sides square off in World Cup Qualifying. After winning starts, both sides were looking to take a big step towards South Africa with the added satisfaction of harming their rival's chances at the same time. The NTI boys turned up in jubilant mood as this match came just two weeks after the Merchants league victory over Cove Bay. Could the Northerners end their winless run as well? Or would STI defeat them once again?

The line-ups

1st Half

STI kicked off and went straight on the attack. It seemed the old boys from Cove Bay were intent on proving the league match would have had a different score had they still been around. The early pressure told as Brendanio popped up to give the Southerners the lead after a fine through ball by Craig Healy. Just 5 minutes on the clock and it looked like business as usual for the Southern Islanders. As the match progressed, NTI began to find their feet and tried to take advantage as STI lost some of their initial momentum. Adam Flash and Arthur White had the best chances but were denied by Iker Reina on more than one ocassion. The score remained at 0-1 as the teams went into the dressing rooms for half time.

2nd Half

The NTI manager obviously spoke motivating words at half time as NTI came out much more positively. White had the better chances again but was stopped by a resolute STI defence with Maccaniniho and in good form. It was The Stig, perhaps with a point to prove after his move to the Merchants, who ended White's involvment as a rough challenge saw the striker hobble off with a knock. The tackle indirectly caused a goal though as the ball broke to Roseau, who made full use of the ref playing the advantage by slotting the ball cooly into the net from the edge of the area. STI were on the backfoot after this as NTI went in search of the win, egged on by the home crowd. Roseau had another good chance but his free kick was stopped by Riena. STI still had their chances on the counter with the best falling to Brendanio, who wold have restored the lead but for a cracking Jack Harrow save. As the final whistle blew, NTI were happy not to have suffered another defeat but there was also a feeling of disappointment that they hadn't been able to grab the win.

Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 1 Southern Treasure Islands 1

NTI Ratings & Stats

STI Ratings & Stats

North American World Cup Qualifying, Final Phase

A few days after the 'international derby' game, both sides of the islands had one more qualifier to play.

NTI had the toughest task as they travelled to Salt Lake City to take on the USA. A decent, if somewhat defensice first half performance saw them go in tied at 0-0. Unfortunately, a repeat of their heriocs against Mexico was not on the cards as the lads from the North were ripped apart by a second half Eddie Johnson hat-trick. Despite dominating possession, NTI were unable to create decent chances and it showed.

Final score: USA 3 Northern Treasure Islands 0

NTI Ratings & Stats

STI, meanwhile, were playing host to Cuba at World's End. Castro's boys gave the Southerners a fright as they took the lead through a 3rd minute penalty. STI got back into the game just before half time as they too were awarded a penalty, converted by Brendanio. Second half goals from Bobihno and Roelof Hofman (a 'grey' who was in the team for some reason icon_confused.gif - got MoM though icon_biggrin.gif) saw off the Cuban threat as the match finished 3-1.

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 3 Cuba 1

STI Ratings & Stats

After 3 games, the final phase table looks like this. I think STI can get one of the automatic spots as the only team likely to beat them is the USA. They have already proven themselves against Honduras and Cuba and I don't see Jamaica giving them too much trouble. For NTI, it will be interesting to see how they fare against Honduras. Jamaica away will be a key game too as their away form has been poor so far in the qualifiers. Nevertheless, I expect NTI to grab either 3rd or 4th. They should try as hard as possible for 3rd though as 4th will put them into a play-off against a South American team... Still, anything ca happen in football! icon14.gif

Finally the Merchants win the derby, Rebel scores a goal in a win in against Jamaica, and we nick a draw against the dirty STI's. No shame in losing to the Yanks in Utah, come on you Northerners.

icon14.gif Finally beat those dirty pirates!!!

icon14.gif Scored the winner against Jamaica. icon_smile.gif

icon14.gif Scored the tying goal against the dirty Southerners. (I know, same insult, but I'm still kinda buzzed from last night....)

icon_confused.gif Interesting we seem to play the same formation as Mexico.....or at least the Mexico I faced at the World Cup in one of my games. Damn Giovani......

icon13.gif Crushed by the USA

KUTGW!

come on you sti's. world cup qualification is in our hands. all we need to do is keep winning. another victim to add to my collection in these rivalry games. kutgw.

Great update for Brendanio with 2 goals, 2 rating of 8 and a MoM. Although I did pick up a knock in the 2nd game but hopefully I won't spend any time on the sidelines.

Bring on the USA and more goals for Brendanio!

April 2009 Update: The Club Rivalry

The Dutch Premier League regular season is over. Cove Bay responded to defeat by the Merchants by embarking on an unbeaten 6 match run, which took them to the end of the season and to safety. icon14.gif This run included a remarkable comeback against PSV. 2-0 down deep into injury time, Jason de Mire came off the bench to score in the 2nd and 5th minutes of injury time and level the match. Rumours of interest from Sir Alex Ferguson in the young striker arose immediately after the game. icon_biggrin.gif A similar performance from Adam Flash helped the Pirates to a 3-2 win over Feyenoord as he scored to level the match on 80 mins and set up Janssen in the dying seconds to win the game. icon14.gif

The Merchants also finished strongly as they won 3 and drew 2 of their final 6 matches (the only loss coming against Feyenoord). Injuries helped Pablo Gonzaléz get a run in the team and he took advantage as he scored in 3 games. Their good form helped them up to 8th.

Dutch Premier Division Final Table

So the season ends here for Cove Bay, a fact which will bring much delight as they have avoided the relegation play-off after spending much of the season in the bottom 3. Time now for the club mangement to focus on building for next season and the STI players to prepare the World Cup Qualifiers in May and Gold CUp in June.

The Merchants are not quite done yet... 8th place was enough to get them into the European places play-off! icon_biggrin.gif FC Twente will be thier opponents in the first round. I have got no idea how these will work - I looked at the rules screen and it says the winner and the loser qualify for the next round. icon_confused.gif Anyway, the boys from Capital City have a great chance to get into Europe after just two seasons in professional competition!

Play-off reports to come this weekend. icon14.gif

April 2009 Update: Rivals Watch

Holland

Captain Gingerbread once more struck gold against the Merchants as he helped his NEC team back from 2 goals down by scoring one and creating another. Rich Denton also played the full 90 mins against the old rivals. Northerner Haowan was ineffective against his old club and was subbed after 60 mins.

Maccaniniho played a part as Feyenoord downed the Merchants 2-0.

Germany

Elliot Druce (STI) played an important role as Bochum beat Roseau and Canbinboy Pendros' Hertha Berlin 3-1.

Bob McBob (NTI) guided Wolfsburg to a 2-0 victory over a Dortmund side containing Southerner Nathaniel Ball.

Belgium

Theo Henry Gooner (NTI) played as Genk knocked Rtik's Standard out of the cup. The Suutherner got some measure of revenge on the Northerners though as he played in a 2-1 win over Ben Cee's Mouscron team.

Despite the end of the regular season in Holland, the leagues elsewhere in Europe are obviously continuing and end of season tables will be included in the final reports.

A special mention must also be made for Ryca Roseau and Cabinboy Pendros as they became the first Islanders to win a professional medal when Hertha Berlin won the German Cup. icon14.gif

********BREAKING NEWS*********

Treasure Island Rivals Announce New Kit Deals

As the regular season comes to an end in Holland, rivals Capital City Merchants and Cove Bay Pirates have both held press conferences to show off their new kits. The Merchants have had new shirts made by Addidas and will wear them for the upcoming European play-offs. The Northern Treasure Islands national side will also start using Addidas strips in their summer qualifiers. Not to be outdone, Cove Bay struck a deal with Nike for new kits to be worn next season. The sports giants will also supply the Southern Treasure Islands side with kits for this summer's Gold Cup.

New Kits (together with redesigned logos).

A big thumbs up to McTavish ( icon14.gif ) for doing these. He will be joining the rivalry when the new season starts as a replacement for one of the non-posters. icon_wink.gif

McTavish - could you post your player's details here? (DM position is open icon14.gif).

Name:

Club/Nation: Merchants/NTI

Position: DM

Favoured Club:

Favoured Personnel:

Disliked Club:

Disliked Personnel:

3 technical attributes to be set at 20:

2 technical attributes to be set at 15:

3 mental attributes to be set at 20:

2 mental attributes to be set at 15

2 physical atrributes to be set at 20:

1 physical attribute to be set at 15:

PPMs (max 2):

There are two other spots opening up for anyone else interested. icon_smile.gif (DC and AML).

Glad you like the kits, agreed that the Merchants/NTI ones came out slightly better but that makes sense since they're clearly the better teams icon_smile.gif

Here's those player details:

Name: Emilio Peralta

Position: DM

Favoured Club: Danubio

Favoured Personnel: Horacio Peralta, Williams Peralta

Disliked Club: Penarol

Disliked Personnel: Gustavo Dalto

3 technical attributes to be set at 20: Passing, Tackling, Marking

2 technical attributes to be set at 15: Long Shots, Heading

3 mental attributes to be set at 20: Teamwork, Determination, Decisions

2 mental attributes to be set at 15: Work Rate, Positioning

2 physical atrributes to be set at 20: Strength, Jumping

1 physical attribute to be set at 15: Stamina

PPMs (max 2): Dictates Tempo, Tries long range passes

I think that's all in order. Cheers DodgeeD!

Hmmmm AML...

Name: Milton Cruz Serra (Can you make his Common Name Miltinho?)

Position: AML

Favoured Club: Corinthians

Favoured Personnel: Lulinha, Dentinho (both Corinthians)

Disliked Club: Sao Paulo

Disliked Personnel: Carlos Alberto (Sao Paulo/on loan from Werder Bremen), Souza (PSG)

3 technical attributes to be set at 20: Dribbling, Technique, First Touch

2 technical attributes to be set at 15: Passing, Crossing

3 mental attributes to be set at 20: Creativity, Flair, Decisions

2 mental attributes to be set at 15: Composure, Anticipation

2 physical atrributes to be set at 20: Agility, Acceleration

1 physical attribute to be set at 15: Pace

PPMs (max 2): Tries Tricks, Winds Up Opponents

Am going for a Garrincha here icon_biggrin.gif

Great Updates as always fella. icon14.gif

Shame that Trevor Tobago doesn't fancy playing for NTI or PSV atm. icon_frown.gif

Still, nice to see the Merchants finally get one over their bogey team! icon_wink.gif

Think NTI should be fine in the WCQ campaign, we still have to play Cuba twice which should be 6 point. As you say, Jamaica and Honduras away will be the crunch games!

McTavish and Corinthiano: Welcome to the rivalry. I will add your details once the play-offs are done. icon14.gif

Enjoy your hols BP_Doosra and thanks for letting us know. icon_smile.gif

I will try to get the play-off and World Cup Qualifier updates done tomorrow with Gold Cup and end of season updates later in the week (can't do much today as it's my wedding anniversary icon_smile.gif - taking the missus out for dinner later.)

Archived