Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August/September Update: Internationals

North American World Cup Qualifying, Phase 2

Southern Treasure Islands (Group A)

A busy start to the second round as three matches were played in group A.

Game 1

STI kicked off the group stage with a tricky tie against Honduras. The Southern boys led for most of the match until a dramatic last minute. First, Honduras got an equaliser off a corner with just 1 minute of injru time left. 1 minutes was all STI needed as Craig Healy picked out Paul Hart, who scored with the last kick of the game

Game 1 Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 2 Honduras 1

STI Ratings & Stats (Game 1)

Game 2

The next visitors to World's End were Guatemala. Any fears of an away win were abruptly dismissed as STI rolled out comfortable 4-0 winners.

Game 2 Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 4 Guatemala 0

STI Ratings & Stats (Game 2)

Game 3

STI's first away game of the group was also the easiest on paper as the opponents were St. Lucia. The Southern Islanders were 2 up by half-time and despite conceding in the second half, never seemed in danger of slipping up.

Game 3 Final Score: St. Lucia 1 Southern Treasure Islands 2

STI Ratings & Stats (Game 3)

Northern Treasure Islands (Group C)

A slightly tougher task in store for NTI as they started with games away to Jamaica and Canada and home to Panama.

Game 1

NTI matched Jamacia for the majority of this match in Kingston. They were unlucky to concede with 15 minutes left and were unable to force their way back into the match.

Game 1 Final Score: Jamaica 1 Northern Treasure Islands 0

NTI Ratings & Stats (Game 1)

Game 2

That defeat made this home tie against Panama all the more vital. NTI went out to attack but suffered a setback as star striker Roberto dos Santos limped off with an injury to the face. It was a blessing in disguise as replacement Robert Boyle scored twice to seal the win.

Game 2 Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 2 Panama 0

NTI Ratings & Stats (Game 2)

Game 3

The Northern Islanders turned up in Toronto ready to give Canada a game, and they certainly did. Canada scored on 3 mins but NTI immediately hit back through Boyle. When Canada scored a second, NTI's response was the same, this time Flash did the honours. Unfortunately, when Rob Friend completed his hat-trick, NTI were unable to respond a third time...

Game 3 Final Score: Canada 3 Northern Treasure Islands 2

NTI Ratings & Stats (Game 3)

Analysis

Group Tables

STI look to be in a great position at the halfway point with maximum points. A win in the home tie against St. Lucia should be enough to see them through. icon14.gif

NTI have a lot of work to do. They've been unlucky with both defeats as they deserved to get at least a point both times. They have home advantage against Jamaica and Canada now and must capitalise to stand a chance of reaching the final phase of qualifying...

Originally posted by JoseRR:

Didn't want to move away tbh, and only to AA Gent as well icon_frown.gif Still, mon thew Merchants without me!

I know a move to Belgium doesn't seem so attractive at the moment but I think it will be a good stepping stone. The players there are more likely to get regular playing time than the ones already at top clubs and will probably be on the move again after 1 or 2 seasons. icon14.gif

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

They just seemed to accept any bids that came in. PSV in particular managed to get several players on free transfers - it happened so often I was beginning to think it must be a bug!

It's just that the club didn't offer new contracts and the players, being on youth contracts, could go where they please...

And the small amounts will be because of massive clause deals, probably - either that or the manager felt it would unsettle the players to say no...

Move to PSV (for free?) but I doubt I'll get any gametime there but that won't be any different to when I was at the Pirates.

Good to see STI doing well in the internationals with Brendan starting 2 out of 3 games.

Hopefully both PSV and Pirates can move up in the league but there's plenty of games to come.

P.S. I was just teasing Valencia - Rich Denton refused a contract from Sunderland and PSV and will line up for Cove Bay again. icon_wink.gif

lol! Good Man! that's the Pirate spirit. A proper pirate goes down with his ship, not jumping ship at the first sight of a fistful of dubloons!

(not that we're going down this year!) icon_wink.gif

YARGH!!!

Hello guys.

Just want to drop a note to say, I'm going into the Navy on Thursday, and it means the end of my participation in signup games. It has been fun and I'd really enjoyed it.

Thanks once again. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by BenArsenal:

Hello guys.

Just want to drop a note to say, I'm going into the Navy on Thursday, and it means the end of my participation in signup games. It has been fun and I'd really enjoyed it.

Thanks once again. icon_smile.gif

Have fun on the high seas and go easy on any pirates you run into icon_wink.gif Whenever you get the chance to look, give a shout & I'll let you know what Ben Cee's up to. icon14.gif

benarsenal = been a pleasure mate

any predictions for the forthcoming campaign

mine:

1) both the merchants and the pirates to stay up

2) the merchants to finally break the pirates head to head winning streak

3) the sti's to qualigy for the world cup easily

Originally posted by Haowan:

Who are NEC and where do they play?

KUTGW!

NEC are a Dutch Premier team. Finished 10th last season I think. No better than Merchants or Cove Bay in my opinion, although being at a club with a higher rep may help your player in the long run icon_wink.gif

September 2008 Update: Clubs

Capital City Merchants FC

The Merchants decent start to the season continues as they beat bottom club Heracles and Sparta Rotterdam early in the month. They then lost to Heerenveen and NEC however. Involvement in the cup was brief as a tough draw saw the Capital City boys drawn with AZ, a match which they lost 1-0. The Merchants currently sit 12th with 10 points from 8 games.

Cove Bay Pirates

An up and down month for the Southerners. They managed their first win against FC Twente but then suffered a heavy 4-1 defeat at Sparta. The other two games of the month were drawn (including a match against rock bottom Heracles). A big problem for the Pirates so far has been a lack of firepower. Just 5 goals in 8 games sees them 17th with just 6 points. The cup is going slightly better though as Cove Bay easily overcame non-league Kozakken 4-0.

Dutch Premier Division Table - September 2008

International News

No international games in September but October kicks off with two more second round group games. STI will be looking to book their place in the final group and NTI will be after wins in both games to stay in contention.

September 2008 Update: Players

Here are a few bits of info about some of our players making the news:

General Specific is finding it difficult to settle at Leverkusen. I guess early autumn in Germnay just isn't the same as the Carribean now, is it? icon_wink.gif

Maccaniniho has fitted in extremely well at Feyenoord playing 7 games so far and with 1 goal and 1 MoM award to his credit. Average rating 7.18 icon14.gif

likewise Rich Denton(NEC) and Ben Cee(mouscron) are in great form at their new clubs, both averaging 7.14 in 7 appearnaces.

The top valued players at the moment are Ryca Roseau and Nathaniel Ball, each valued at 2.2mil following their transfers.

Cove Bay Pirates dominate the top earners list with 8 of the top 10 earners from the Treasure Islands at the club. Craig Healy and Adam Flash lead the way with weekly salaries of 17k and 16.5k respectively.

Injuries

Wrighty (Cove Bay) is out for 3 months with a pulled hamstring.

Jack Harrow (Merchants FC) has a broken finger and won't play for 3 weeks. Tough for the goalie as he had just started a run in the first team making 3 appearances and averaging 8.00. icon_frown.gif

Arthur White (PSV) received an ankle injury in the match against NEC and is out for 3 weeks.

Pablo Gonzaléz (Merchants FC) is out with a hamstring problem for 2 weeks. he had also just broken into the first team. icon_frown.gif

On a more upbeat note, Heinrich Kroeger is nearly ready to return to action after his broken foot. icon14.gif

September 2008 Rivals Watch

There were three matches of note featuring players from opposite sides of the Islands coming up against each other in September:

1. Standard Liege 2 Genk 1 (Belgian First Division

Rtik Carlos-Powell (STI) helped his new club beat a Genk side featuring Theo Henry Gooner (NTI).

2. PSV 3 NEC 0 (Dutch Premier Division)

Two Northern Islanders, Arthur White and Joe Richardson played for PSV as they beat an NEC team with two Southerners on the park, Rich Denton and Paul Hart. It should also be noted that White's ankle injury was the result of a late Paul Hart challenge. The rivalry continues! icon_wink.gif

3. Merchants FC 0 NEC 1 (Dutch Premier Division)

This game was settled by a late, late goal from the Scourge of the South, Captain Gingerbread, who marked his return from injury and his full debut for his new team with a goal against the team from the North. icon14.gif

3. Merchants FC 0 NEC 1 (Dutch Premier Division)

This game was settled by a late, late goal from the Scourge of the South, Captain Gingerbread, who marked his return from injury and his full debut for his new team with a goal against the team from the North.

Legendary, icon_cool.gif

Excellent updates mate.

C'mon the Pirates.

Aaaarrrrggggggghhhhhh!!

Originally posted by Blackcats:

Good update, sad to see myself injured after geting in the team. Won't be online for a week cos im off on my hols. KUTGW tho

Enjoy your hols mate. icon14.gif Off anywhere sunny? icon_cool.gif

Jack Harrow (Merchants FC) has a broken finger and won't play for 3 weeks. Tough for the goalie as he had just started a run in the first team making 3 appearances and averaging 8.00. Frown

Hope i am well rested for the next 2 internationals

12 in the league icon14.gif

Merchants will get through!!! icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

September 2008 Update: Players

Here are a few bits of info about some of our players making the news:

General Specific is finding it difficult to settle at Leverkusen. I guess early autumn in Germnay just isn't the same as the Carribean now, is it? icon_wink.gif

Maccaniniho has fitted in extremely well at Feyenoord playing 7 games so far and with 1 goal and 1 MoM award to his credit. Average rating 7.18 icon14.gif

likewise Rich Denton(NEC) and Ben Cee(mouscron) are in great form at their new clubs, both averaging 7.14 in 7 appearnaces.

The top valued players at the moment are Ryca Roseau and Nathaniel Ball, each valued at 2.2mil following their transfers.

Cove Bay Pirates dominate the top earners list with 8 of the top 10 earners from the Treasure Islands at the club. Craig Healy and Adam Flash lead the way with weekly salaries of 17k and 16.5k respectively.

Injuries

Wrighty (Cove Bay) is out for 3 months with a pulled hamstring.

Jack Harrow (Merchants FC) has a broken finger and won't play for 3 weeks. Tough for the goalie as he had just started a run in the first team making 3 appearances and averaging 8.00. icon_frown.gif

Arthur White (PSV) received an ankle injury in the match against NEC and is out for 3 weeks.

Pablo Gonzaléz (Merchants FC) is out with a hamstring problem for 2 weeks. he had also just broken into the first team. icon_frown.gif

On a more upbeat note, Heinrich Kroeger is nearly ready to return to action after his broken foot. icon14.gif

Nice to see the engine of the team being paid accordingly icon_wink.gif

Nice work and keep it up mate icon14.gif

Away for a week starting tomorrow so won't be posting but back next Wednesday icon_smile.gif

October Update: Internationals

North American World Cup Qualifying, Phase 2

Southern Treasure Islands(Group A)

Game 4

STI travelled to Guatemala for their 4th game knowing a win would be enough for a place in the final group. And that's exactly what they got in rather emphatic style with a thumping 4-1 victory. Brendanio, Clatworthy and Bobihno out the Southern Islanders 3 up before half-time. Despite conceding a goal early in the second half, the boys never looked troubled and Bobihno added a 4th.

Game 4 Final Score: Guatemala 1 Southern Treasure Islands 4

STI Ratings & Stats (Game 4)

Game 5

There was nothing left to play for when St. Lucia came to World's End and a somewhat lacklusture match ensued. The game only came to life in the last 5 minutes as first Craig Healy and then Bobihno found the net.

Game 5 Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 2 St. Lucia 0

STI Ratings & Stats (Game 5)

Northern Treasure Islands (Group C)

Game 5

NTI played host to Jamaica with both nations looking for a vital win. the home side suffered an immediate setback when Roseau was taken off after 4 mins. They then faced something of an onslaught from the Jamacians but held steady until Robert Boyle scored in injury time in the 2nd half. The striker was on hand again 3 minutes after the break to add a second (although bizarrely the match stats said NTI had just one shot on target icon_confused.gif). Try as they might, Jamaica couldn't find a way back into the match and NTI got a vital win.

Game 4 Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 2 Jamaica 0

NTI Ratings & Stats (Game 4)

Game 5

The NTI squad arrived in Panama City 4 days later knowing a positive result would put them in a very strong position going into the final game. Panama were still battling for a qualifying spot so a tight match was in store. It was the Panamanians who struck first, taking the lead after just 8 minutes. Both sides had chances but NTI failed to capitalize on their possession and lost the match.

Game 5 Final Score: Panama 1 Northern Treasure Islands 0

NTI Ratings & Stats (Game 5)

Analysis

A great performance from STI sees them top of their group with a 100% record. The final match away to Honduras will just be for bragging rights as both teams are already through. In the second group, a similar situation has arisen with U.S.A and Cuba already through. NTI's group, by contrast, is wide open with all four teams in with a shout ahead of the final round of matches. The path to the next round for the Northerners is direct, if not so easy,: beat Canada at home and they will be through to the final phase....

For now though, both sets of players must put the World Cup out of their minds, expecially those still at Cove Bay and The Merchants - their first game back in the league will be a rivals clash! icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by AB-forever:

Of course the Merchants get AZ in the cup icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course NTI can win against Canada icon_biggrin.gif

Where was Le Quack at the Jamaica and Panama games? icon_confused.gif

Le Quack is currently in the Sunderland U-18s. He was called up to the squad and currently has a 'TRV' symbol next to his name but I've got no ÅŸdea why he wasn't picked, especially with Harrow out injured icon_confused.gif

Let's see what have I missed.

icon14.gif Promotion always rocks icon_biggrin.gif

icon14.gif Player of the Year? So many people to thank! My teammates, my coaches, Mama Roseau for keeping me, the list goes on icon_biggrin.gif

icon13.gif Still cant beat those dirty Southerners. icon_frown.gif

icon14.gificon_eek.gif We knocked out the dirty Mexicans! Excellente!

icon14.gif I like our group. I know for a fact that Canada is in turmoil, and my deal....I mean my good friend who does not have a criminal record can incapacitate the Jamaicans with one visit.

icon14.gificon13.gif Left the Merchants for Germany, bud I was sold for the highest amount. That's nice I guess. Get me a nice home back on the Isles.

icon14.gif Lured someone away from Cove Bay icon_biggrin.gif

icon13.gif Injured on arrival. Damn airport stairs!

icon13.gif Lost both away games icon_frown.gif Gonna need some help now.

icon13.gif Jeez, we have absolutely no away form. And who the heck is our manager anyways? I'm starting to think he needs a sack if we're this far behind the guys of the South.....

We better beat Canada! They may be my homeland, but we need this!

A few extra bits of info for those of you who asked: icon_wink.gif

ssestig - The Stig is vice-captain of the national side (with David Sunderland the captain) but he has worn the armband on the pitch for 3 out of 5 games this season. At the Merchants, he's made 3 starts and 2 sub apperances so he's still settling in.

rtik-1-one - Rtik Carlos-Powell has been a regular so far for Standard making 6 starts. He hasn't played for NTI yt this season though. Standard are having a sub-standard (icon_razz.gif) season so far lying 16th in the table. Roberto dos Santos is having the best time in Belgium at the moment as his team, AA Gent are 6th.

Brendanio made his first start for PSV in the last match, playing 77 minutes and getting a rating of 7. icon14.gif

Ryca Roseau scored on his Hertha Berlin debut. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AB-forever:

Of course the Merchants get AZ in the cup icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course NTI can win against Canada icon_biggrin.gif

Where was Le Quack at the Jamaica and Panama games? icon_confused.gif

Le Quack is currently in the Sunderland U-18s. He was called up to the squad and currently has a 'TRV' symbol next to his name but I've got no ÅŸdea why he wasn't picked, especially with Harrow out injured icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weird icon_confused.gif

Archived