Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

Great updates, keep them coming!

Nice to see my player made the best 11 despite losing his place in the playoff games. Psv, Everton & Portsmouth showing interest too. I hope he stays loyal though with the Merchants and helps them dominate the league for the years to come!!...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty bad season for heinrich kroeger, first team only for the national side.. but managed to get into the first team for the play-off s though icon_biggrin.gif

his spot on the bench was not just warm but roasting hot by the end of the season

LOL icon_biggrin.gif

KUTGW !

Southern Treasure Islands v. Northern Treasure Islands, Friendly

Date: 01.06.08

Venue: Gambler's Retreat

Pre-match build up

No time to let up then as mere days after the remarkable play-off successes of the boys from both sides of the Islands, international fixtures came around. Both sides had big World Cup Qualifiers coming up but first the real business - a rivals clash icon_biggrin.gif

There was the usual controversy in the build-up to the game. Rich Denton received a 'hospitality package' at his hotel room with a messsage congratualting him on his pivotal role in Cove Bay's success. After sampling some of the fine chocolates, he cam down with ffod posoining and would miss the game. Juan Carlos also fell victim to pre-match antics as a group posing as Pirates supporters offered to buy him a drink. He later woke up in hospital with a concussion and also would be unable to play. icon_wink.gif The media spent much of their pre-match build up focusing on Maccaniniho and Parker Reynolds, whom they saw as the key men for STI and NTI respectively.

Starting line-ups

1st half

Onto the match then. Adam Flash again had a point to prove with many NTI fans bitter about his goal aginst the Merchants in the league. He needed to show them he was a Northern Islander through and through and he did so by smashing a fierce drive against the bar with just 45 seconds on the clock. STI kept their composure though and started to play the ball around the park. On 10 minutes Bobihno picked up the ball 30 yards out and threaded a lovely pass through the defence to de Mire for the striker to stroke home, 1-0.

The Southerners nearly extended their lead on 25 minutes as Healy crashed a shot against the bar. Jason de Mire was on hand for the rebound but was flagged offside. The second goal was delivered 10 minutes later as Bobihno hit a shot across the face of the goal. Jack Harrow did well to get down and parry the shot. Spud collected the ball for NTI but fluffed his clearance and Wilkinson took full advantage for STI, hitting the back of the net from the edge of the area, 2-0.

2nd Half

STI started as they had left off with Elliot Druce playing de Mire through. the striker's shot went mere inches wide. NTI had a good chance to get back into the match on 77 minutes as da Silva Santos made a great run down the right and hit a pinpoint cross to Robert Boyle, whose header clipped the outside of the post. The final piece of action came with the final play of the game. With both teams tiring and mindful of upcoming WCQ matches, it was the fresh legs of substitute Paul Hart that made the difference as he burst through the NTI defence and hit a shot past the advancing keeper, 3-0.

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 3 Northern Treasure Islands 0

STI Stats & Ratings

NTI Stats & Ratings

Jacob's List - little is known about the mysterious Jacob. Only a few brief glimpses of him have ever been seen. It is known that he has a list, however, and it seems after the last game his list is quite long. icon_wink.gif

NOTE - I have a question for those who know more about the game than me. I run the Dutch competitions, North American World Cup Qualifiers and Gold Cup on full detail to ensure our teams don't take a hammering due to reputation but I can't set friendlies to full detail. Could this be having an effect on STIs consecutive wins? For this database, I made sure I set the country reps to the same level but I'm wondering if the AI is ignoring it and making calculations based on the nations I overwrote (Surinam for STI and Nertherlands Antilles for NTI). Also, if I watch the games (as I have been doing), does that mean they run on full detail? Or is it just that STI are better? icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

NOTE - I have a question for those who know more about the game than me. I run the Dutch competitions, North American World Cup Qualifiers and Gold Cup on full detail to ensure our teams don't take a hammering due to reputation but I can't set friendlies to full detail. Could this be having an effect on STIs consecutive wins? For this database, I made sure I set the country reps to the same level but I'm wondering if the AI is ignoring it and making calculations based on the nations I overwrote (Surinam for STI and Nertherlands Antilles for NTI). Also, if I watch the games (as I have been doing), does that mean they run on full detail? Or is it just that STI are better? icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

The game mechanics should work on the stats provided HOWEVER, as I found out when playing about in the editor for an experiment of my own with Hong Kong, it doesn't work like that. The rep will build but slowly alongside the player reps, I found.

For instance, if I played as Hong Kong while they were in a similar situation to STI and NTI (similar built-up database to ensure good youngsters were coming through, good home teams with high resources etc) they were unbeatable - even won the World Cup in 2010. If I let it play by itself they'd struggle to get past the first round of Asian qualifiers.

Yet, as we saw in the last incarnation of the database when the 1-1 draw with Argentina occurred, it doesn't take long for the nations to play well. The fairest way, however, would probably be to play as both nations and ask your assistant to pick but the length of the game will be considerably longer.

The easiest thing to do is let the game take its course and it will even out (it should've already as evidenced by the clubs getting promoted to the Dutch Premier). Also, bear in mind both teams are young (I believe STI to be slightly older than NTI) and will make mistakes on an international level until they settle down in their 30s.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Gregory Le Quack - after making a few starts early in the season, struggled to get a look in. Managed to get on SUnderland's radar though.

Conceded 7 goals in 4 games and 9 in 3 for my nation icon_frown.gificon13.gif the attributes are great though icon14.gif

Not surprisingly Le Quack isn't in the best XI icon_razz.gif

Played in injury time in the 3-0 defeat icon_biggrin.gif

Jacob wasn't looking at me icon_frown.gificon_wink.gif

KUTGW icon14.gif

Originally posted by Squirriel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DodgeeD:

The game mechanics should work on the stats provided HOWEVER, as I found out when playing about in the editor for an experiment of my own with Hong Kong, it doesn't work like that. The rep will build but slowly alongside the player reps, I found.

For instance, if I played as Hong Kong while they were in a similar situation to STI and NTI (similar built-up database to ensure good youngsters were coming through, good home teams with high resources etc) they were unbeatable - even won the World Cup in 2010. If I let it play by itself they'd struggle to get past the first round of Asian qualifiers.

Yet, as we saw in the last incarnation of the database when the 1-1 draw with Argentina occurred, it doesn't take long for the nations to play well. The fairest way, however, would probably be to play as both nations and ask your assistant to pick but the length of the game will be considerably longer.

The easiest thing to do is let the game take its course and it will even out (it should've already as evidenced by the clubs getting promoted to the Dutch Premier). Also, bear in mind both teams are young (I believe STI to be slightly older than NTI) and will make mistakes on an international level until they settle down in their 30s.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers for that mate. icon14.gif I figured the squads need time to grow. I suppose once the players have spread out across Europe and evryone is getting regular game time, we will see much stronger international squads. Even so, there were World Cup Qualifying results this time to match the 1-1 draw with Argentina. icon_wink.gif I will be posting reports some time this evening.

Sounds good - I'm looking forward to it icon_biggrin.gif

And yeah, there will be good results - I just wouldn't expect them to qualify just yet. Although I guess Asia is a more grueling qualification process so it might be different with STI and NTI...

KUTGW icon_smile.gif

North American World Cup Qualifiers, First Round, Second Phase

Southern Treasure Islands v. Costa Rica

This was probably the 3rd toughest draw available (after U.S.A. and Mexico) but it also gave the Southern Islanders a chance to show what they were made of. A place in the second round group stage was at stake as well as the chance to impress ahead of Gold Cup invitations being extended.

1st Leg

STI welcomed Costa Rica to World's End for the first leg. Bouyed by their successful season domestically as well as international wins over NTI, the boys from the South came out fired up and ready to provide a shock. That was exactly what happened as Elliot Druce supplied Jason de Mire to score after just three minutes. The Costa Ricans, expecting an easy game, were shellshocked and STI capitalised by extending their lead on 31 mins courtesy of a Bobihno strike. The second half produced more of the same and Wrighty added the third with 15 minutes left as he headed in a corner. STI were firmly in the pole position heading into the second leg. icon14.gif

Final score: Southern Treasure Islands 3 Costa Rica 0

STI Ratings & Stats

2nd Leg

The following week, STI arrived in Saprissa looking to seal their place in the second phase. The only worry for them was the loss of keeper Heinrich Kroeger to a broken foot, whcih would see him out of action for 4 months. icon_frown.gif Costa Rica, on the other hand, turned up determined to make up for the embarassment of the first match and remind these upstarts on the international scene of their place. The Costa Ricans took the lead after 26 minutes but their joy was short-lived as de Mire promptly equalised 5 mins later. That meant Costa Rica had to score 4 more to qualify. A penalty before half-time gave a glimmer of hope but a second half of constant pressure only resulted in one more goal in the dying minutes. The STI players were overjoyed as the final whistle confirmed that they were through to the group stage. icon_biggrin.gif

Final score: Costa Rica 3 Southern Treasure Islands 1 (STI advance 4-3 on aggregate)

STI Ratings & Stats

Northern Treasure Islands v. Mexico

The task facing the Northerners was much tougher as they faced the best team on the continent and favourites for qualification, Mexico. On the plus side, this meant expectations were low and NTI could just enjoy the experience.

1st Leg

A sell-out crowd turned up at Capital City Stadium looking forward to the game and habouring a small hope that their buys cold snatch an unlikely win. NTI set out to frustarte their opponents by sitting deep and suffocating the Mexican attacks. For the large part it worked but it also meant sacrificng their own chances to go forward. Attacking options became very limited for the home side when star striker Arthur White limped off at half time. The second half saw NTI successfully defend their goal but unable to even get a shot on target as it finshed 0-0.

Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 0 Mexico 0

NTI Ratings & Stats

2nd Leg

Used to playing in front of 60,000 at Capital City Stadium, the Northern Islanders got a shock as they strolled onto the pitch to see 100,000 football mad Mexicans at the Azteca Stadium. Mexico were expected to win comfortably but would the pressure get to them? Or would NTI crumble in front of the hostile crowd? The Mexicans were on the offensive from the start and NTI were on the back foot.Wwith just sheer determination and a lot of luck they were able to keep the Mexicans at bay. That is until the 67th minute when Carlos Vela finally broke the deadlock. To their credit, NTI held their nerve and didn't crumble after the goal. Mexico were still coming forward, looking to kill off the tie and satisfy the crowd's need for style. That would cost them oh-so dearly as NTI made a qucik break. The ball was pumped to Bob McBob, whose clever flick on found Roberto dos Santos. The striker stunned the Azteca to silence as he rounded the keeper and hit the ball into an empty net. The following 10 minutes involved several increasingly desperate Mexican attacks but it was to no avail. The only sounds heard on the final whistle were the astonished screams of the NTI players - they had done the impossible and knocked Mexico out! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Final Score: Mexico 1 Northern Treasure Islands 1 (NTI advance on away goals)

NTI Ratings & Stats

So there you have it: both national sides have upset the balance of power in North America and made it into the second round at the expense of two of the heavyweights on the continent. NTI's acheivement was remarkable, especially as they managed only one shot on target over the two legs!!!

Second Round Draw

STI have a decent chance to get through I think. NTI's group seems slightly tougher with no clear favourite or weak team. At least the last standing member of the big 3 on the continent, U.S.A., was avoided (though I suspect the groups were drawn beforehand with the expectation being U.S.A., Mexico and Costa Rica would be seperated). Hopefully, the Islanders can win through to the final group and go head-to-head for a place in the World Cup!

Easy group for the boys from the south but I can't help wondering how some of the other teams managed to qualify for the second round and teams like Mexico and Costa Rica are knocked out after one loss. Is it just luck of the draw? Because apart from our 2 teams, Mexico is better than everyone else and Costa Rica is only behind behind USA so it hardly seems fair BUT it does mean that we are almost guaranteed qualification icon_wink.gif

Also does anyone know how many teams qualify for the World Cup from North America?

Not usually much of a nationalist, but:

P12 W9 D1 L2

That's the United States record vs Mexico since 2000, I understand that the Mexicans are vastly overrated on FM, but just thought I'd point that out to the constant mention of the Americans as second best in CONCACAF. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by BP_Doosra:

Easy group for the boys from the south but I can't help wondering how some of the other teams managed to qualify for the second round and teams like Mexico and Costa Rica are knocked out after one loss. Is it just luck of the draw? Because apart from our 2 teams, Mexico is better than everyone else and Costa Rica is only behind behind USA so it hardly seems fair BUT it does mean that we are almost guaranteed qualification icon_wink.gif

Also does anyone know how many teams qualify for the World Cup from North America?

3.5 right?

Southern Treasure Islands v. Northern Treasure Islands, Friendly

There was the usual controversy in the build-up to the game. Rich Denton received a 'hospitality package' at his hotel room with a messsage congratualting him on his pivotal role in Cove Bay's success. After sampling some of the fine chocolates, he came down with food poisoning and would miss the game.

SWINES!!! and all because he loves Milk Tray!

Still, South Isleands and the Pirates still rule their northern foes. UNDEFEATED at club leavel, UNDEFEATED at International level. Just as it should be!! hooray!

Good to see my boy finally getting an international cap. I'm very worried about the interest from Sunderland though! (BTW Dodgee, what leagues are you running? if my boy goes to England and it's not a league you are running i'm afraid he will disappear into obscurity)

Hopefully he will stay with the mighty Pirates.

shaping up nicely!

YAAARRGH!

i have no intentions on being a judas despite not playing for cbp first team. i'm outraged that the merchants are watching me. would like to play first team footy though.

Originally posted by BP_Doosra:

In North America, the first two rounds are knockout home & away affairs with the weaker nations in from the start and the other nations (Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Canada etc) receiving byes to the second round. This is the round in which STI beat Costa Rica and NTI knocked out Mexico. (Obviously, in real life they would face some tiny Carribean island nation and win easily but we mixed it up a little icon_wink.gif)

The group phase the Islanders have just entered sees the top two from each group qualify for a 'Super Group' of 6. The tope three from there go to the world cup and the 4th placed team plays-off, usually with an Asian or South American team. Hope that makes some sense icon_razz.gif (personally, I like the South American way - one huge group, top teams go through. Might be difficult with 50+ nations though icon_biggrin.gif)

I'll be posting a bit later with a round up of summer transfer activity (there's a lot of that icon_wink.gif, more World Cup Qualifiers and the start of the league season. I though from now on, I will do monthly (or bi-monthly) updates looking at players (especially as more start to leave the clubs for pastures new), the clubs in the league (I hope you'll still be taking sides in the Cove Bay/Merchants rivalry even after your palyer has moved on), international fixtures/news and a 'Rivals Watch', where I look out for any NTI/STI players coming up on opposing teams in other countries. What do you think? If you'd like anything else included, suggest it!

Valencia - I'm running top two divisions in England, Italy, Spain and Germany as well as the top flight from France and Belgium (Ichose Belgium as in the previous version a few players headed there and I don't want them to slip into obscurity like you said). If your boy does head to Sunderland (or elsewhere icon_wink.gif), I'll report anything of note in the 'player news' section. icon14.gif

Valencia - I'm running top two divisions in England, Italy, Spain and Germany as well as the top flight from France and Belgium (I chose Belgium as in the previous version a few players headed there and I don't want them to slip into obscurity like you said). If your boy does head to Sunderland (or elsewhere icon_wink.gif), I'll report anything of note in the 'player news' section. icon14.gif

you big tease!! icon_biggrin.gif

August 2008 Update: Players

Transfers

Might as well start here as there is a lot to go over. icon_wink.gif

The Merchants lived up to their name as they were involved in a lot of trading. 14.5mil was spent on 16 new players and 14 of the original squad was sold for a total of 13mil. I'm not quite sure what came over the management at the club but last year's great partnerships were dissolved as Rebel Israel was sold to Belgian side Genk, Spud made a big move to English giants Liverpool and the attacking trio all went too - Arthur White to PSV, Roberto dos Santos to AA Gent and Ryca Roseau to Hetha Berlin. Gregory Le Quack declared himself done wth benchwarming and headed to Sunderland. I'm not quite sure what he was thinking though as he's bound to play second fiddle to Craig Gordon. icon_confused.gif

Here are the players out in full:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Player Sold To Fee

Diego Polo Genk 110k

Cabinboy Pendros Hertha Berlin 210k

Gregory Le Quack Sunderland Free

Rebel Israel Club Brugge 425k

Bob McBob Wolfsburg 1.2M

T.H. Gooner Genk 800k

Trevor Tobago PSV Free

Ben Cee Mouscron 250k

Genral Specific Leverkusen 1M

Spud Liverpool 1.5M

Arthur White PSV 1.9M

Roberto dos Santos AA Gent 1.5M

Haowan NEC 1.6M

Ryca Roseau Hertha Berlin 2.4M

</pre>

Of the players coming in, most don't seem to add much to the squad. Ugur Yildirim looks a decent prospect and Alexandr Glatan, a Moldovan, looks good. The only logic I can see behind the transfers is the addition of experience but a lot of these players will start to decline in a couple of years, by which time the players who were sold will be superstars... The main transfer of note though is one which will hopefully bear fruit in a season or two - young Colombian striker Cristian Nazarith was snapped up for 80k. Who knows? - maybe he can get NTI nationality before long. icon_wink.gif

At Cove Bay, the number of changes was fewer but it again seems that the players coming in don't really add any depth or strength to the squad. 9 players left for a total of 5.5mil and 9 came in with 10.5mil spent. Some of last year's stars were allowed to leave such as Maccaniniho (to Feyenoord for 1.5mil) and Nathaniel Ball (off to Dortmund for 1.5mil). It seems the Cove Bay management, new to the world of European football, were taken advantage of by more ruthless clubs as they accepted a couple of exchange deals (basically selling their best players for a small amount of cash and a donkey!)

Those Cove Bay departed in full:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Player Sold To Fee

Nathaniel Ball Borussia Dortmund 1.5M

Paul Hart NEC P/Ex (Theo Dams)

Maccaniniho Feyenoord 1.3M

Rtik Carlos-Powell Standard Liege 250k

Adam Clatworthy PSV Free

Brendanio PSV Free

Captain Gingerbread NEC P/Ex (Jhon van Buerking)

Elliot Druce Bochum 1.4M

</pre>

One major transfer item I deliberatly left to last - The Stig, frustrated by limited oppurtunities at World's End jumped ship and joined rivals Merchants FC for 1.1mil!!! icon_eek.gif It will be very interesting to see what recepiton he gets on his return to play against Cove Bay...

I'm a bit dissappointed that the teams (especially Merchants) let so many stars go. icon_frown.gif They just seemed to accept any bids that came in. PSV in particular managed to get several players on free transfers - it happened so often I was beginning to think it must be a bug! Still, it will be interesting to see how they fare. Many players have gone to Belgium or Germany and I'll be keeping a close eye on the two in England to see how they get on. As for the clubs, have the Merchants ruined their chances of survival? Or have they been wise by bringing in more experience as they tackle the Premier League? Will Cove Bay's new players make a difference? Or will last season's heroes not be up to the job this time? We have a season to find out.... icon_wink.gif

P.S. I was just teasing Valencia - Rich Denton refused a contract from Sunderland and PSV and will line up for Cove Bay again. icon_wink.gif

Whoops! Hit 'Post Now' too early. icon_razz.gif Before I get on to the clubs, I have to post the transfer summaries and finish the player news...

Capital City Merchants Transfer History (end of August 2008)

Cove Bay Pirates Transfer History (end of August 2008)

Injuries

The following players are currently out (end of August 2008):

Heinrich Kroeger - still a couple of months away from a full recovery after breraking his foot in June.

Jason de Mire - out for two more weeks due to an achilles injury picked up over the summer.

Captain Gingerbread - the same torn calf muscle that kept him out of the final games of last season means his debut for NEC is still 2 or 3 weeks away.

Roberto dos Santos - our for a week with a facial injury picked up on international duty recently.

Ryca Roseau - twisted his knee shortly after arriving at Hertha Berlin. Out for a week.

August 2008 Update: Clubs

Cove Bay Pirates

The boys from Cove Bay have found life in the top division tough so far with just a single point gained in the first 4 games. Heavy defeats of 3-0 and 3-1 were suffered at the hands of Ajax and Fc Groningen respectively.

***Breaking News*** - despite having just signed a new deal, Rich Denton signed for NEC at midnight on transfer deadline day!

Capital City Merchants FC

So far, the Merchants busy summer of transfers seems to be producing better results as they have earned 4 points in 4 games including an encouraging win over FC Groningen. They were also unlucky to lose out to Ajax and FC Twente by a single goal each time.

Dutch Premier Division Table - August 2008

Rivals Watch

As of yet, no match ups with NTI/STI players on opposing sides. (Some of the players are still waiting for their debuts). However, many football followers will be curious to see how Haowan copes with having three STI teamates (Hart, Gingerbread and Denton) and how STI player Elliot Druce gets along with NTI international Parker reynolds at Bochum. There are also now 3 NTI players and 2 STI players at PSV, although most are subs, reserves or U-19s at the moment.

Originally posted by coldkohmew:

Good job to the keepers of NTI icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks icon_wink.gif

Le Quack went to Sunderland for free icon_biggrin.gif

The Merchants did manage to get some decent replacements. Yildirim, Gatkan, Kovba, Kornilenko and Nazarith are not bad icon_razz.gif and The Stig realised that the Merchants are far cooler icon_wink.gif

13th in the league icon14.gif

Archived