Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by coldkohmew:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Whitehead:

The only northerer to have a win in the local derby's is me, as I play for the Priates lol

Oh well we'll turn it round on the international scene

Be our spy icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeye, we don't training at cove bay, I just tell them the tactics for up coming international games and that lol

May 2008 Update

The regular season ahs finished and both rivals have made the play-offs. icon_biggrin.gif

Dutch Division 1 Final Table

It should be noted that Cove Bay Pirate's form was exceptional as they won their last 12 games icon_eek.gif. City Merchants have to play in the first round of the play-offs as they didn't manage to win any of the periods in the league. Their opponents will be Stormvogelds Telstar, the 9th placed team. In two league meetings, the Merchants drew 2-2 at home and won 4-0 away so it's looking good for the next round. icon14.gif

Promotion/Relegation Play-Offs, Round 1

City Merchants FC

If I was confused about the Dutch play-off system before, I'm completely baffled now. icon_razz.gif

The first game was hosted by Stormvogels Telstar and finished 2-2. Being used to the away goals rule in Europe, I thought this was a good result for Merchants. However, after the game a 'w' appeared next to Stormvogels' name. icon_confused.gif

Stormvogels Telstar 2 City Merchants FC 2

Merchants Stats (Game 1)

Onto the second match, which was played at Capital City Stadium. The boys from the North put in a good performance and pulled off a 3-2 win. I thought this would secure an aggregate win but, instead, a 'w' appeared next to Merchants FC and it was announced that a decider would be held 2 days later at Stormvogels' ground. Now, Merchants finished higher in the league, won the tie on aggregate without losing so I have no idea why a decider was necessary. icon_confused.gif

City Merchants 3 Stormvogels Telstar 2

Merchants Stats (Game 2)

The final game was a tense one. Stormvogels took the lead, only for Roseau to equalise in the 2nd half. The game then went to extra time ( icon_confused.gif again) but then the quality of City Merchants shone through as first Rebel Israel and then Roseau found the back of the net to send the Merchants through 2 games to 1 (or 2 wins to one draw).

Stormvogels Telstar 1 City Merchants FC 3

Merchants Stats (Game 3)

The Merchants have made it to the second round then but they haven't got much time to rest. They will play Willem II (from the relegation side of the play-off) in just 2 days' time (meaning their 3rd game in 5 days). Cove Bay Pirates, meanwhile, will face Go Ahead Eagles, who finished 4th in the regular season. Updates tomorrow icon14.gif

Originally posted by AB-forever:

Three more bloody rival losses! icon_mad.gif

Le Quack got a 6 in the first icon13.gif

Didn't play in the second...

Didn't play in the third...

Didn't play in the two games against St. Kitts & Nevis icon_frown.gif

We will get through those playoffs! icon_razz.gif

KUTGW Dodgee icon14.gif

And has Le Quack played at all at club level? icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by AB-forever:

Le Quack has had as many league games as internationals - 3! icon_frown.gif

He has been noticed by a team from the English Premiership, however.... All to be revealed in the end of season round-up icon_wink.gif

Firstly just want to say, well done everyone for making this such a good thread! Keep it up!

As regards to my player, he seems to have had mixed spells of starting then being sub. But glad to see he scored in the playoffs and got a decent rating of 8! Come on you Merchants!! Our first win over the Pirates will be in the playoffs at the most vital time...

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AB-forever:

Le Quack has had as many league games as internationals - 3! icon_frown.gif

He has been noticed by a team from the English Premiership, however.... All to be revealed in the end of season round-up icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh icon_biggrin.gif

Can't wait icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by BenArsenal:

I think the playoffs is Best of 3, rather than home and away.

The first match was drawn, so it wasn't counted.

Just my guess.

I still have no idea icon_biggrin.gif Anyway, it seems the third deciding match is only played if necessary and that is like a cup tie. In the event of a draw, there is extra time and then penalties.

The domestic season is now complete. Reports on the way icon14.gif

crikey, im actually quite nervous about this.

12 wins on the bounce!! jeez, that's some going from the pirates! surely they deserve promotion!?

I've got a horrible feeling that the northerners will cheat us out of it again.

Up the rebels from the south! YAAAR!

KUTGW!

Originally posted by benroscrow:

Firstly just want to say, well done everyone for making this such a good thread! Keep it up!

I'll second that. icon14.gif Especially after the problems with the first game, I'm pleased interest has been maintained and we've kept the momentum going. icon_smile.gif

However, a look back through the posts has shown me that the following players have not posted in this thread so far and also did not post in the previous thread:

rtik-1-one, Pezz, tommywright, TH14Gooner, thfcjoe, PoopyPants, Parker & Tep Zepi

I will include all players in the first end of season update but unless I see posts from these guys soon, I won't post any more profile shots or give them much of a mention in the updates. You've been warned icon_wink.gif.

I've got a bit of a busy evening ahead but hopefully I'll get the play-off reports up sometime tonight. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Pezz:

Sorry for not posting mate although i have been following closely. Good season for Cove Bay, are PSV still interested in Carlos?

Welcome back to the fold. icon_wink.gificon14.gif Yes, they are still interested. I will give all the transfer rumours and details in the end of season player updates tomorrow.

Promotion/Relegation Play-Offs, Round 2

At this stage, Cove Bay and the teams fighting against relegation from the Premier Division entered the fray to heat the competition up a bit. icon_biggrin.gif

Cove Bay Pirates

Go Ahead Eagles (love that name icon_biggrin.gif) provided the opposition for the Pirates. Having finished 1 place but 7 points clear of them in the league, confidence was high. Go Ahead had home advantage for the first game but failed to make it pay as Cove Bay gave an assured performance. Bobinho gave them the lead on the half hour and the Southern boys kept cool heads to hold the score without ever looking in danger.

Game 1 Final Score: Go Ahead Eagles 0 Cove Bay Pirates 1

Cove Bay Ratings & Stats (Game 1)

The second game at World's End saw another efficient and clinical display from the Pirates. It was all effectively over after 18 minutes as first Adam Flash and then Gwilym J. James scored. Go Ahead never managed to, well, go ahead (icon_razz.gif) mustering just one shot in the entire match.

Game 2 Final Score: Cove Bay Pirates 2 Go Ahead Eagles 0 (Cove Bay win best of 3 series by 2 games to 0 icon_cool.gif)

Cove Bay Ratings and Stats (Game 2)

Capital City Merchants FC

The Merchants task was slightly more daunting. They were to face Willem II who had finished 17th in the Premier Division. Would City Merchants be able to capitalize on their opponents poor form and low morale? Or would the gap between divisions prove too much?

The boys from the Northern Islands were lucky enough to be at home for the first game, meaning any decider would be held at Capital City Stadium also. icon14.gif However, this match came just 2 days after their first round decider and would be their 3rd match in 5 days. That seemed to show as Spud pulled up with an injury after half an hour. The Merchants played a good game though and more than matched their higher league opponents. Minutes into the second half, top scorer Arthur White was the hero once more as he gave his team the lead. Willem II were unable to get back into the match and the Merchants took the advantage.

Game 1 Final Score: City Merchants FC 1 Willem II 0

Merchants Ratings and Stats (Game 1)

The return match was quite an extraordinary game. Willem II took the lead on 29 mins only for Roberto dos Santos to equalize almost immediately. Bob McBob then put the Merchants ahead but Willem II were able to draw level just before half-time. Arthur White was on hand again to restore the lead early in the second half, only for Willem II to make it 3-3 nine minutes later. Parity only remained for 2 minutes as Roberto dos Santos scored his second and the Merchants' 4th. Willem II were to be awarded a penalty, however, which was duly converted to tie the score at 4-4. City Merchants hearts were broken though as their opponents scored a late winner to seal an extraordinary 5-4 win.

Game 2 Final Score: Willem II 5 City Merchants FC 4 icon_eek.gif

Merchants Ratings and Stats (Game 2)

Which means, as in the first round, it would be necessary for the Merchants to win a decider in order to stay with their bitter rivals in the promotion hunt....... icon_wink.gif

Had a torrid time in the 2nd leg, hopefully my form is restored in time for the decider. Stupid Dutch league rules, we'd go through on away goals in most of the world.

Come on you Merchants!

patience is a virtue! to all thsoe whose players arent getting a game.

my lad only seems to get on in the 90th minute to kick people, but he'll be getting measured for his play-off final suit regardless!

hopefully this sign up runs and runs, so im sure (all) our time will come sooner or later, especially considering i expect a fair few players to jump (pirate) ship in the summer when the big boys come a-calling with their open cheque books!

KUTGW and come on you PIRRRATTTEEEESS!

YAAARGH! icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by valencia:

patience is a virtue! to all thsoe whose players arent getting a game.

my lad only seems to get on in the 90th minute to kick people, but he'll be getting measured for his play-off final suit regardless!

hopefully this sign up runs and runs, so im sure (all) our time will come sooner or later, especially considering i expect a fair few players to jump (pirate) ship in the summer when the big boys come a-calling with their open cheque books!

I wouldn't expect it too much this season. After the end of next season once their reps get higher, yes. Maybe half the squads will remain after then.

Still, we'll have the internationals to look forward to icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benroscrow:

I'll second that. icon14.gif Especially after the problems with the first game, I'm pleased interest has been maintained and we've kept the momentum going. icon_smile.gif

However, a look back through the posts has shown me that the following players have not posted in this thread so far and also did not post in the previous thread:

rtik-1-one, Pezz, tommywright, TH14Gooner, thfcjoe, PoopyPants, Parker & Tep Zepi

I will include all players in the first end of season update but unless I see posts from these guys soon, I won't post any more profile shots or give them much of a mention in the updates. You've been warned icon_wink.gif.

I've got a bit of a busy evening ahead but hopefully I'll get the play-off reports up sometime tonight. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry i havent been posting, i have been busy revising. I will try to post more but i might be very busy in the next weeks.

Originally posted by Squirriel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by valencia:

I wouldn't expect it too much this season. After the end of next season once their reps get higher, yes. Maybe half the squads will remain after then.

Still, we'll have the internationals to look forward to icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks guys. icon14.gif That's exactly what I'm aiming for with this thread. A season or two of club rivalry followed by our players spreading across Europe to the top teams. When I was testing this version after the crash, most players are at top teams by 2010-2012.

I included the national sides to keep the rivalry going with the same players. I've scheduled one 'friendly' a year until 2020 for that reason. Hopefully by then both teams will be regulars at international tournaments.

I also took steps to ensure the clubs can survive without their young starlets. Both have been given a huge future income, loyal and ambitious chairmen and top notch facilites with great stadia and 100% hardcore fanbase. That should ensure the clubs being able to attract top talent to replace our boys and we should see some top notch regens coming through to keep the national teams going. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Bloodstreaks:

Eduaddo didnt get a game, not even named as a sub icon_frown.gif

Possibly beacuase PSV are showing interest and he's stated he wants to move on to a bigger club.

Welcome back to the fold rtik-1-one. Good luck with the exams and thanks for letting us know icon_smile.gif

Promotion/Relegation Play-Off, Round 2 Decider

Capital City Merchants V. Willem II

Rivalries aside, this was possibly the biggest game of the Merchants short history. A do-or-die match to stay in the hunt for promotion and to keep up with their fierce rivals from the South. Willem II had plenty to play for as well as they battled to keep their Premier league status.

It didn't take the Northerners long to state their intent as Roseau beautifully teed up Arthur White to volley home after just 9 minutes of play. The Merchants kept the pressure on with several good attacking moves and they got their reward just before the half hour as Roseau again split the defence open with a killer ball which Roberto dos Santos fired home to double the lead.

After that, City Merchants tried to hold the ball and play out the remainder of te ame as Willem II desperately sought a way back into this vital match. Despite several good chances, they were unable to break down a solid Merchants defensive line and the match finished 2-0.

Decider Final Score: City Merchants FC 2 Willem II 0 (City Merchants win the best of 3 by 2 games to 1) icon14.gif

Merchants Ratings & Stats (Decider)

Both of the rivals made it to the final round. There was much talk of these two clashing for a promotion spot but it seems the Dutch FA may have wished to avoid what would have been an almighty conflict as they were drawn in seperate matches:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Promotion Relegation Play-Offs Third Round

Cove Bay Pirates v. Eindhoven

Capital City Merchants v. RKC

</pre>

The winners of these two matches will go to the Premier League, so there's still a chance for both to get promoted. icon14.gif Merchants have the slightly tougher task as RKC were placed 2nd in the regular season whereas Eindhoven finished 7th and were beaten by Cove Bay twice.

Updates to come very shortly....

Archived