Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 31st 2011 Update: European Leagues

Here's a look at all the active leagues with Treasure Islanders playing in them (apologies to Davesafc and ssestig - I don't have the Scottish or Mexican leagues running!)

Dutch Premier League

Dutch 1st Division

Bundesliga

La Liga

Ligue 1

Premier League

Serie A

And here's a look at how your players have been performing so far this season:

Mid-season Stats Part 1 (NTI Players)

Mid season Stats Part 2 (STI Players)

It's getting late over here now, so you'll have to wait until the next update to find out what the 'wnt', 'bid', 'unh' and 'inj' symbols are for. icon_wink.gif

4 goals in those 2 friendlies for Brendanio after a disappointingly quiet Gold Cup. Would like to be playing a bit more for PSV although I guess that's the risk you take when moving to a big club. Also would have liked to get a few more games in the Gold Cup but I won't complain as We are the champions, better than the North!

December 31st 2011 Update: Player News

Here is a list of everybody who is on another clubs 'wanted' list ahead of the January Transfer Window as well as those who have already attracted bids:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Player Wanted by

Arthur White Bologna, Sampdoria

Brendanio Strasbourg, Dortmund, Rangers

Cabinboy Pendros Espanyol, Sevilla

Bob McBob Arsenal, Lyon, AC Milan, Real Madrid

Juan Carlos Napoli

Gwilym J. James Inter

Adam Wilkinson Rangers, Besiktas

Iker Reina Saint-Etienne

T.H. Gooner Man Utd(19.25mil), Liverpool (16.5 mil), Arsenal, Chelsea, Roma, Barcelona

Jason de Mire Inter (15.5mil), Sunderland (13.75mil), Blackburn (11.75mil), West Ham, Benfica

Alfonso da Silva Santos Inter (11mil), Aston Villa, Charlton, Lens, olympiakos, Celtic </pre>

Only two players out at the moment and both are on the road to recovery:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Player Injury Out for

Haowan Hamstring 2 weeks

Paul Hart Flu 1 week </pre>

Other News

T.H. Gooner is unhappy at Blackburn and wants to leave. The club have made a new contract offer, however.

Brendanio is actually transfer listed by request as he has become frustarted at ack of first team chances at PSV.

Maccaniniho is reportedly unsettled at Juve.

Gregory le Quack has expressed his diasappointment at Sunderland's performance this season. He added, however, that he wants to help the team improve.

Pablo Gonzaléz and Robert Boyle are currently tutoring youngsters at their respective clubs.

That David fellow looks good icon14.gif

Le Quack let 4 goals in against New Zealand icon_frown.gificon13.gif

Sunderland languishing all the way down in 19th icon_frown.gif and Le Quack has only made 3 appearances icon_frown.gif and it's hard to help the team improve when you're not playing icon_razz.gif

Le Quack's footballing life sure is a misery right now icon_biggrin.gif

We'll get those Southerners next time!

Great updates as usual. Nice to see I'm finally getting regular football (and playing quite well by the looks of it icon_wink.gif ) . Hopefully I'll move to a bigger club soon, one that is in a league that you are running!

We are the champions, better than the North!

2011 International Review

As the international year draws to a close, time to do a quick recap of what went on.

Southern Treasure Islands undoubtedly had a great year as they bettered their 4th placed outing in 2009 to claim this year's Gold Cup, scoring an impressive 18 goals in 6 games, conceding just 3. The only disappointment came in the 3-0 friendly defeat to Trinidad but, that result aside, STI can go into next year's World Cup Qualifiers full of confidence. Their Gold Cup success, on the tails of their World Cup run, has seen their world ranking rise to 12th. icon14.gif

STI 2011 Results

STI Info Screen

STI All-Time Caps List

Northern Treasure Islands couldn't quite match their rivals success and, indeed, suffered another defeat at their hands. Their 3rd place finish at the Gold Cup was, however, the best ever performance by a team making it's debut in the competition (not counting the first ever Gold Cup of course icon_wink.gif), beating the 4th place finish acheived by STI in their 2009 debut. On a low note, NTI lost all 4 of their friendlies in 2011 without scoring a single goal. They will need to improve their form as they attempt to reach the World Cup finals for the first time. NTI finished the year ranked 62nd in the world.

NTI 2011 Results

NTI Info Screen

NTI All-Time Caps List

Transfer Window Review (January 2012)

The transfer window has now closed and there were some big money moves involving Treasure Islanders:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Player New Club Fee

Rebel Israel Barcelona 24.5mil

Jason de Mire Inter 15.5mil

Alfonso da Silva Santos Inter 10.75mil

Haowan Bayern Munich 10.5mil

Juan Carlos Napoli 8.75mil

Adam Wilkinson Palermo 5.25mil

Brendanio Rangers 4.1mil

Paul Hart Kirikkalespor Loan

Dirtihno VW Hamme Loan </pre>

Rebel Israel made the biggest headlines with a 24.5mil move with Barcelona becoming his 5th club in his short career so far.

Haowan finally got his wish to leave Cove Bay and heads to Bayern Munich to team up with Cabinboy Pendros.

Paul Hart returns to Turkish 2nd Division side Kirikkalespor on loan hoping to impress and secure a move away from NEC in the close season.

Brendanio got his wish to leave PSV and joins two fellow STI players at Rangers. A big part in his decision to leave was this. Good to see that the rivalry still rears its ugly head at domestic level!

Which means Inter Milan could be asking for trouble as they spent in excess of 25mil to bring in two Islanders: one STI player, de Mire, and one NTI national, da Silva Santos. Will they be able to get along? Watch this space! icon_wink.gif

Brendanio got his wish to leave PSV and joins two fellow STI players at Rangers. A big part in his decision to leave was this. Good to see that the rivalry still rears its ugly head at domestic level!

You have to love a bit of rivalry but I guess Mr White just couldn't stand playing with someone who has a far superior national team (Was it 50 places ahead in the world rankings?). icon_wink.gif

Not to mention the fact that I have more goals for both club and country.

Distribution of Players by League: January 2012

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">League # NTIs # STIs Total

England 6 4 10

Italy 2 6 8

Germany 4 4 8

Holland 5 2 7

France 3 - 3

Spain 2 1 3

Scotland - 3 3

Belgium 1* - 1

Turkey - 1* 1

Mexico - 1* 1

*These leagues/divisions are not actibe in the game.</pre>

Following the January transfers, England remains the most popular destination for our Treasure Islanders. Italy and Germany have now passed Holland in terms of the number of sign-up players there.

Following the Brendanio/Arthur White falling out, I thought it would be interesting to see which clubs face similar potential clashes:

Clubs with rival players

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Club NTI Player(s) STI Player(s)

Barcelona Rebel Israel Rich Denton

Inter Milan Alfonso da Silva Santos Jason de Mire

Köln Adam Flash Captain Gingerbread

Liverpool Spud & Ben Roscrow Nathaniel Ball

Newcastle Ben Cee Gwilym J. James & Wrighty </pre>

Mo money, less problems. Off to the Catalans, I knew two years at one club was never going to happen.

Maybe I can slip that dirty pirate Denton some cash so we can get those Southerners next time. icon_wink.gif

Pretty awful end of season for the NTI... losing to NZ and Cyprus isn't exactly going to help our world ranking :/ Not to mention the semi-final gold cup defeat to SHTI. Rumours have been circulating in the TI media that our manager is a secret SHTI sympathiser. I think we'll need a change of manager soon so we can get those Southerners next time!

Enjoy your holiday! Off somewhere sunny? icon_cool.gif

I'm up to the end of the season now (updates to come tomorrow maybe when there's no football to watch icon_biggrin.gif) and one piece of ino I can reveal to you - Captain Gingerbread has gone a whole year since his last injury! icon_wink.gif

We are the champions, better than the North!

Great updates as usual. Good to see that despite my absence from the Gold cup, I have returned from my holiday in Sardinia and indeed the medal was waiting for me in the post. Good old STI! icon14.gif

a transfer to Barcelona too! wow. whats that, like my 6th club already??! has anyone changed clubs more?

Still crave a return to my Cove Bay stomping ground and perhaps even a few more international caps would be nice!

DodgeeD - what formation do STI play? Am i right in thinking that they play a 3-5-2 or some sort of wingback system? it might explain why my boy never gets a sniff in the national team!

Valencia - STI do indeed play a 3-5-2 meaning full backs usually seem to come on as late subs only.. icon_frown.gif As for constantly moving clubs, funnily enough your moves are matched by your NTI rival at Barcelona, Rebel Israel, who has also racked up 5 clubs in 5 years! Maybe Barca are looking for a quick profit. icon_biggrin.gif

Rivals Clash: Capital City Merchants v. Cove Bay Pirates (Dutch Premier Division

Date: 15.04.12

Venue: Capital City Stadium

Merchants Pre-Match Update

The Merchants had risen up the table since the start of the year, thanks mainly to the astute January signing of Argentinian keeper Sergio Romero from Genk for 525k. Up to that point, an 18 year-old NTI regen who was obviously out of his depth had benn shipping the goals (the fact that he has since been released by the club says it all really...). Going into the match, thye found themselves in 6th, rapidly bearing down on 5th placed Feyenoord for that last Champions League Play-Off spot.

Cove Bay Pre-Match Update

This clash came as the regular season in Holland was drawing to a close. Cove Bay had continues their impressive league form and were sitting in the top 3, albeit some way behind leaders Ajax. The January signings had added depth to the team with Georgian striker Otar Martsvaledze (in from Dinamo Kiev for 7mil) adding good support to Mbele and Choco in attack. Dutch left-back Calvin Jong-a-Pin (that's not a joke - he's a real player icon_biggrin.gif) had not featured much following a 3.6mil move from Moanco but I just wanted to mention his name! icon_biggrin.gif Cove Bay were in form coming into the game and had amazingly scored in every single match they had played so far this season! icon_eek.gif However, they were coming off the back of a defeat in the semi-final of the Dutch Cup. Could they bounce back?

The Match Itself

It all started very evenly with both sides creating good early chances and both keepers making vital early saves. The Merchants made the first breakthrough on 23 mins as a Cove Bay counter attack broke down and the ball swiftly came to Pablo Gonzaléz, who just doesn't miss these kind of chances. 1-0. The second followed 13 mins later as the ball fell to Ugur Yildirm after a half-cleared corner and he smashed it home. 2-0 it was then at half time despite how even the game had been. Into the second half, Cove Bay created some good chances but failed to capitalise. They were punished when Pablo Gonzaléz tapped in after a crafty one-two with strike partner Deac. With only 10 minutes left, the game was as good as over. The Pirates provided one last late twist as Patrick Nyarko scored on 90 mins but it was a case of too little too late.

FÄ°nal Score: Capital City Merchants 3 Cove Bay Pirates 1

How they rated

Dutch Premier Division Update

Just two more games in the Dutch Premier following the rivals clash and the regular season was over.

Dutch Premier League Final Table - so Cove Bay held on to 3rd spot and the Merchants passed and pulled away from Feyenoord to claim the last spot in the Champions League section of the play-offs. icon14.gif

European Play-Offs First Round Draw - Merchants must overcome PSV then while Cove Bay will square off with Vitesse. I'd say there's a good chance we could see both clubs in Europe next year but will thye be in the same competition? Watch this space ( ) icon_wink.gif

International Update: Spring Friendlies

STI had two friendlies ahead of the summer World Cup Qualifiers, while NTI had just the one with results as follows:

British Virgin Isles 0 Southern Treasure Islands 3

STI Ratings & Stats

Ireland 4 Southern Treasure Islands 0 Ouch! icon_eek.gif

STI Ratings & Stats

Liechtenstein 2 Northern Treasure Islands 0 - oh dear! icon_frown.gif

NTI Ratings & Stats

Poor friendly results again then with both nations suffering disappointing defeats...

In other news, the first round, first phase of North American World Cup Qualifying has been completed and the opponents for the two sides of the Treasure Islands will be as follows:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">St. Kitts & Nevis v. Southern Treasure Islands

St. Lucia v. Northern Treasure Islands </pre>

I expect both teams will be confident of securing safe passage to the second round. icon14.gif

The Merchants won against The Pirates icon_biggrin.gif

PSV shouldn't be much of a challenge icon_wink.gif

2-0 loss against Liechtenstein though icon_eek.gif but Le Quack wasn't playing which says it all really icon_wink.gif

STI lost 4-0 against Ireland icon_biggrin.gif I know how much it hurts because Denmark did that IRL 10 months ago icon_wink.gif

Dodgee, I'm off to France in 45 minutes and I will be away for 2 weeks so I hope I'll have a lot to read when I come home icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Blackcats:

2 goals and a motm against those damn pirates icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif. Another dispointing friendly result for NTI which i am at a loss to explain, we have the players but just can't play at all in friendlies icon_rolleyes.gif

I wonder if this is to do with the 'full detail' issue. Obviously, I run Gold Cup and World Cup Qualifiers on full detail but there is no option to do so for friendlies. It seems that team reputation is a problem in the game as it takes a long time to change.... But then again, I set the national rep to just below that of USA and Mexico in the editors... There's definitely something up though as both nations only regularly seem to win freindlies at home against Caribbean opposition. icon_confused.gif

Have a good time in France AB. icon_smile.gif I will try to get as many updates as I can done over the next few days but my dad is coming over from the UK and we are heading to Istanbul sometime next week so my time will be a bit more limited than normal.

I wonder if this is to do with the 'full detail' issue. Obviously, I run Gold Cup and World Cup Qualifiers on full detail but there is no option to do so for friendlies. It seems that team reputation is a problem in the game as it takes a long time to change.... But then again, I set the national rep to just below that of USA and Mexico in the editors... There's definitely something up though as both nations only regularly seem to win freindlies at home against Caribbean opposition.

Well i guess this must be something we have to live with untill are reputations climb higher, which will hopefully happen when we start winning international competitions icon_cool.gif

icon13.gif Haven't checked in a while. icon_frown.gif

icon13.gificon_mad.gif Those cheating Southerners did it again! We'll get those Southerners next time!

icon14.gif We beat USA icon_smile.gif

icon_eek.gif Holy smokes I'm rich! And the highest valued player in the game! And on Chelski! WEll, 2 out of 3 aint bad.....

icon14.gif David looks like your typical young Brazilian starlet, and Sturgis is a solid defender.

icon13.gificon_mad.gif Lost to New Zealand! AND CYPRUS!!! Why hasn't that dumb manager been fired yet!

icon14.gif Merchants beat the Pirates icon_biggrin.gif

icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif STI got crushed by Ireland! I couldn't imagine anything more embarass.....

icon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif LIECHTENSTEIN! WE LOST TO LIECH-TEN-BLOODY-STEIN! Put the managers head on a pike, post-haste!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I lost my head for a second there.....

Originally posted by Blackcats:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ridleys:

Neo, due to my shear boredom I have calculated that you use an average of 5.2 smilies per post.

icon_biggrin.gif

Wow you must be really bored lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I hadn't been on for a few days. I needed to compensate icon_biggrin.gif

Archived