Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nedved downbeat about Juve's Champions League hopes

Thu 30 Mar, 3:01 PM

ROME (AFP) - Pavel Nedved fears Juventus' 2-0 defeat away to Arsenal in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final may have left them with too much to do to reach the last four.

The teams meet for the second leg next Wednesday at the Delle Alpi stadium where Nedved will return for the Turin giants after serving a one-match suspension.

"It will be very difficult, maybe it's already over," said Nedved, whose side will be depleted for the return match because of suspensions for Mauro Camoranesi, Jonathan Zebina and Patrick Vieira.

"If you don't score in away legs then you can't expect to go far in this competition. Unfortunately we hardly threatened Arsenal.

"To be honest I'd rather not think about the second leg because we won't be at full strength."

Juve striker Alessandro Del Piero, who missed the Highbury match with a left hamstring strain, said they could not afford to play like they did in London if they wanted to clinch a semi-final place.

"On Wednesday we have no other choice - we have to give absolutely everything, and a little bit more," he said.

"In the Champions League, you play for everything in 180 minutes. That's the beauty and the cruelty of the competition."

Asked whether he would be fit to play, Del Piero refused to commit himself.

"I am continuing to train apart from the squad, and things are going well. I hope to come back as soon as possible."

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Cole and Clichy closer to a first-team return

Three Arsenal full backs are on the mend.

Ashley Cole is set to resume running next week after recovering from his ankle injury and could be back a fortnight after that. Fellow left back Gael Clichy, out since November with the foot fracture that had previously sidelined Cole, is set to return to full training after the weekend.

In addition young right back Kerrea Gilbert played in the Reserve team on Wednesday night after almost two months out with a back complaint. However, another defender, Pascal Cygan, is still struggling.

Sol Campbell and Freddie Ljungberg will not be ready to return for the weekend game with Aston Villa. But the England defender will be back in full training tomorrow and the Swedish midfielder might travel to Turin next week for the Champions League Quarter-Final second leg.

"Ashley Cole is doing quite well," said Arsène Wenger in an exclusive interview with Arsenal TV Online on Thursday. "In the last week he has developed. He should go out next week and start running. From there it will be two weeks.

"Sol Campbell has a little set back with a toe injury. He should be back in the group for normal training tomorrow but Saturday will be a bit short.

"Pascal Cygan had a set back today in training. That is not good news but Gael Clichy is getting better and better. He should be back in normal training next week. Kerrea Gilbert played last night.

"Freddie Ljungberg will not be available for Saturday but could be for next week."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

...and we don't want another Cesc situation.

I thought as much. Cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was there lots of complaints when you signed Cesc? I don't remember.

And tbf, you're only signing "Fran" because Barcelona forgot to sign their bit of the contract icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

...and we don't want another Cesc situation.

I thought as much. Cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was there lots of complaints when you signed Cesc? I don't remember.

And tbf, you're only signing "Fran" because Barcelona forgot to sign their bit of the contract icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah- what Ollers said. Barca did kick up a stink and the G-14 tribunal decided on roughly £1 million compensation apparently, but I think Giovanni van Bronckhorst was involved.

They won't need to this time though- I'm sure the press will re-wheel the bandwagon and whip up the sensationalist frenzy they usually do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Yeah thats what I was wondering. Apparently he turns 16 "sometime" in march which is when you can sign him.

End of march now though icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps someone else could try and poach him before he's seventeen and signs professional terms, who knows.

Arsenal probably don't want another Anelka/Cesc/Flamini situation like Senegal alluded to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arjen Robben:

Any of the highbury locals know the Buffalo Bar? My brother is playing a gig there this weekend which I might be coming up to, if it's hella close I might sneak off to catch the game if I can find tickets, as I'm about icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the only way youll find tickets is if you snatch it from Senegals dead cold hands.

We've been playing well for far too long now, I suspect a dull 0-0 tomorrow with us being all over you to begin, but the woodwork and Sorensen to have blinders. Then the last 30 mins will be us trying to break down 11 men behind the ball and failing.

Anyone see T4s football thing, anybody concerned that Ash is arsing around with an adidas superstar team doing stupid challenges. Is it wise for a player whos trying to get back to match fitness and hasnt played for ages to do something like that

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Nah. He may be a tit, but he' never struck me as especially unprofessional. Plus, Arsenal will have ok'd it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i didnt mean hes unprofessional, its obviously part of the public duty he has as a professional footballer and im sure adidas are insisting as part of their player deal that he does this. But if there was a choice id rather he wasnt taking part

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

sorry lads, Papa Bouba Diop's renewing his contract this coming week </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diaby >>> Diop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

sorry lads, Papa Bouba Diop's renewing his contract this coming week </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we don't want or need him especially for the quoted 12 million, thats a joke in itself icon_biggrin.gif

had a dream about Theo last night. He was on the Jonathon Ross Show, and JR kept calling him 'Theo', then he got really Nigerian sounding and was shouting 'TEE-OH'... 'TEE.....OH!!". Ross kept taking the **** and theo kicked his arse.

Surely a sign?

• SI Staff

Teams

Arsenal: Lehmann, Eboue, Toure, Senderos, Flamini, Pires, Fabregas, Silva, Reyes, Adebayor, Henry

Subs: Almunia, Diaby, Van Persie, Hleb, Djourou

Aston Villa: Sorensen, De la Cruz, Hughes, Ridgewell, Bouma, Hendrie, McCann, Davis, Barry, Phillips, Moore

Subs: Taylor, Angel, Cahill, Gardner, Agbonlahor

With the sort of form that both teams are in we should hopefully notch up a few goals today.

Mon Arsenal icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

come on arsenal win today and no injuries icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

should have kept my mouth shut icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Springbok256:

Saha for Utd \o/ icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me and HOVI always rated him. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Springbok256:

Saha for Utd \o/ icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me and HOVI always rated him. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you lying dirty rat icon_biggrin.gif

Archived