Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah thats how we do a lot of deals these days, Hleb and Reyes the latest, smallish layout then more dependent of appearances, trophies, CL wins and international caps etc.

Pretty sound way of doing things because clearly if we are having to pay out more on fees because of a CL win or whatever, we are making more than enough on the side to cover them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Justin Hoyte has had to grow up over the last six months, on and off the field. The 21-year-old left Arsenal last summer to join Sunderland for the season, and has thrived on Wearside despite his new club's dismal form.

"It's been a steep learning curve since I came to the North-East and thankfully I've developed as a footballer and as a person," he said. "I've had to start fending for myself and for the first time I've had to learn to cook. At first, it was a case of home alone but I settled in quickly thanks to my team-mates.

"I still miss family and friends but I've no regrets whatsoever about joining Sunderland and, anyway, my family ensure I don't get homesick by coming to watch every game."

The England Under-21 international has quickly won over locals by consistently producing remarkably composed performances and has emerged as an outstanding prospect in a torturous season at Sunderland.

"Playing week in, week out has given me the chance to get used to the demands of facing the very best Premiership players," said a player who joined Arsenal as a striker aged 10, when Ian Wright was his idol.

Now this resident of Newcastle's hip Quayside area looks to Arsenal full-backs Lauren and Ashley Cole as well as Brazil's Cafu for inspiration.

"I've improved a lot since I arrived at Sunderland. It's gradual but you pick up new things regularly. I really enjoy working under Mick McCarthy, who I'm grateful to for giving me a great opportunity. I'm getting more confident and I continuously work on my weaknesses. I need to be a more aggressive tackler and better communicator, but pace is one of my strengths. I had a PB of 11.01 in the 100 metres at school."

Speed, it would seem, runs in the family - mother Wendy was an Olympic sprinter, while father Les is sprint coach at the Arsenal academy where Justin's brother, Gavin, 15, is emerging as a defender.

Now Hoyte is looking forward to pitting his wits against Chelsea on Sunday at the Stadium of Light, as the Premiership's bottom side entertain the side 52 points ahead of them at the top.

"We're all relishing the chance to take them on, and for me it's the sort of game I dreamt of as a boy," he said. "It'll be tough but we'll give it our best shot and I hope our fans, who've been terrific home and away, do their bit by getting right behind us to make home advantage count. I feel there's still time to turn things round and we're due a bit of luck."

Hoyte, brought up in Leytonstone, has 2½ years left on his Arsenal contract. "Ideally, I'll help Sunderland avoid relegation before focusing on breaking into Arsenal's first team," he said. "That will be an enormous task but I'd like to think my time on Wearside will help me achieve all my long-term goals." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The most talked-about teen since Rooney

Jeremy Wilson

Sunday January 8, 2006

The Observer

The Southampton squad are taking part in a series of shuttle runs. Midfielder David Prutton sets off, teeth gritted. Prutton is sweating freely with the effort, but looks as though he is running through quicksand as a gazelle-like figure keeps gliding past.

Andy Spink, the fitness coach, ends the session and Prutton walks off, panting loudly. His team-mate, though, takes the opportunity for some shooting practice and rifles the ball into the corners of the goal. When he leaves the training pitch he looks as fresh as when he strolled on.

There is still plenty of work to do for Theo Walcott, English football's most exciting prospect. The most talked-about teenager since Wayne Rooney started making headlines three seasons ago. "I'm trying to improve everywhere, but mostly my heading and left foot," he says.

Chelsea are said to have offered £2million for Walcott when he was only 15 and a bidding war involving the champions, Arsenal and Tottenham looks likely. Considering he has never played in the Premiership, first kicked a football six years ago and left school only last June, this is extraordinary.

Walcott, who wears a sparkling stud in each ear, had a boot deal with Nike before he was old enough to buy a Lottery ticket. When he played for Southampton at the age of 16 years and 143 days in a Football League match against Wolves earlier this season, he became the club's youngest debutant, breaking Danny Wallace's record that had stood since 1980. He is already famous enough to be recognised while out shopping with his girlfriend, Melanie, and when he is at home with his family in the Berkshire village of Compton, neighbours sometimes call around for an autograph. He is unfazed by all the attention.

"I'm getting quite used to it," he says. "I just play my football. I honestly ignore it all. It was quite funny at school last year because one of the girls had read I could be sold for £2 million. She didn't know much about football and thought I was going to be paid two million!"

Outrageous as that might sound to his schoolmate, it is not out of the question. Walcott, after completing his GCSEs, has been training full-time for six months and is still paid the standard wage of £90 a week. He will sign his first professional contract in March when he turns 17 and has a pre-contract agreement to keep him at Southampton until 2008.

He may not be with Southampton for long, even if he does see out the transfer window, and the season, with Southampton. There is talk that he will be sold and loaned back to Southampton where he is gaining first-team experience, but the Southampton chairman, Rupert Lowe, must also be conscious of the possibility that Walcott's true worth is yet to emerge. Everton did not sell Rooney until he was almost 19 and made £20m. A figure of £9m has already been mooted for Walcott, who has made only 12 starts in the Championship. "All I have to concentrate on is football, I don't have to worry about that other stuff," he says.

That stuff is sure to keep Lowe busy over the next few weeks. "If I listed the calls I got about Theo Walcott I would be here a long time," says Lowe.

Comparisons with Rooney are misleading. Whereas Rooney has the brooding presence of a heavyweight boxer, and is from a Liverpool council estate, Walcott has the poise of a ballet dancer - his hero is Thierry Henry - and his family have, for the past 10 years, lived in the heart of rural Berkshire's horseracing country. Walcott's sporting ancestry includes Sir Clyde Walcott, the West Indies Test cricket star of the 1940s and 1950s. The former Southampton manager Dave Merrington says: "Theo's strengths are his pace and balance and he certainly moves like a young Thierry Henry."

Walcott began as a winger but Harry Redknapp, who gave him his debut, felt he was best utilised through the middle. "A smashing kid, a lovely boy," says Redknapp. "He's got a lovely family and he's not a big head."

Redknapp, who also worked with Jermain Defoe when he was a teenager at West Ham, says: "Jermain was a goal-scoring phenomenon. Theo runs with it more and he's probably a bit quicker."

Running with the ball at speed appears natural to Walcott, and his temperament is also a major asset. Outstanding performances for the England under-17 team prompted Tord Grip, Sven-Goran Eriksson's assistant, to earmark him as a star of the future. "Technically, he is very good - and extremely fast as well," says Grip. "He has the ability to beat defenders with his skill, pace and balance."

His conduct off the field has been as impressive as his performances on it and a willingness to dwell on his weaknesses is reassuring. "Staying level-headed is the most important thing for me," he says. "I just want to play, improve as a player and play at the highest level. My dad sometimes questions my left foot but I've worked hard on it and most of my best goals have been with my left."

Walcott has also had to adjust to the physical demands of men's football. "Players do try and intimidate me but I just blank it," he says. "I've always played up an age group, I've played against bigger people. All the team help me out but the opposition do try and get to you, especially Millwall." Walcott answered the rough treatment with a goal at The Den and Southampton's youngest player is now established in the first team.

Otherwise he is being treated no differently from the rest of the club's academy. He lives in Southampton with eight other first-year scholars. "To start with I wasn't so sure, it was a bit hard, moving away from home and leaving school, but it's settled down. It's definitely helped me improve as a player. I feel much better and fitter, training every day with the first-team. They are getting to know me better and I'm getting to know them. Away from football, I just mess around with the rest of the academy players or I see my girlfriend and my family. I'm an uncle now." His mates at the club have nicknamed him 'Tiger' because, they say, he looks like Tiger Woods.

It was after the family moved to Compton in 1996 that Walcott discovered he could play football. "My mate wanted me to play because they were short of players and I scored a hat-trick," he says. During his first season, Walcott scored 100 goals in 35 games. "I was coming up to 11, I didn't really have a clue how to play football," he says. "I suppose it just came naturally. I was quite a fast runner and they would put it over the top and I would run on to it."

Walcott was spotted by Swindon Town before joining Southampton. The club's head of recruitment, Malcolm Elias, recalls watching him. "There was something special about him," he says. "He had this free spirit, he was very raw. I found out later he had only been playing football for a matter of months. His pace and ability to run at people excited you from the first moment."

His time of 11.52sec for the 100 metres, which he ran in 2004, is a school record, and he is much faster now. "I've never seen a boy as naturally talented as Theo in 19 years of teaching PE," says Andy Colling of The Downs School. "Football was always going to be my first choice," says Walcott. The teenager was recently back at his alma mater to receive an award for sporting achievement and delighted his old schoolfriends and teachers by staying to chat and sign autographs.

Despite a trip to Stamford Bridge, he turned down Chelsea in favour of Southampton when he moved from Swindon as an 11-year-old. "I was young and didn't know too much about Chelsea, but just thought I would get more chances with Southampton and the club have been great to me," he says.

His biggest influence is his father, Don, who would drive him to Southampton for the twice-weekly training sessions. "My dad went to work early so that he could take me to training in the evenings and did everything for me," says Walcott. "He used to film my games and then we would go over them when we were at home."

Don Walcott is waiting at the gates to the training ground to pick him up after the interview. It is evident where the friendly personality comes from. "At the end of every trip he would always say 'Thanks, Dad', and he hasn't changed at all," says his father.

"He's the one who has made the sacrifices, I've just done what any parent should do. He never kicked a ball until he was 10, but I've never seen a 10-year-old strike a ball like he could. I remember him warming up for a game and one of the parents went in goal and he broke the chap's finger."

Father and son smile and set off for home. Theo Walcott's feet may be jet-propelled when the mood takes him, but most of the time they remain firmly on the ground.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal are reported to be lining a move for Lens midfielder Alou Diarra.

The Gunners are keen to bring in a new midfielder as they have struggled to replace Patrick Vieira this season following his move to Juventus.

Arsene Wenger is believed to be a big fan of Diarra after having watched him on several occasions this season.

Diarra has broken into the French team since joining Lens after a disappointing spell at Liverpool which saw the player fail to make an appearance for The Reds.

The 23-year-old has established himself as a key member of the Lens side and is currently captain with Sang et Or.

Diarra's agent Janos Toth claims Arsenal have contacted him about the player.

"Indeed, the Arsenal officials called me some time ago," Toth told But magazine.

Lens will fight any attempt to lure Diarra away from Stade Felix-Bollaert with chairman Gervais Martel hoping to build his side around the powerful midfielder.

The Gunners are also reported to be pondering a double swoop on Ligue 1 with a move for unsettled Monaco striker Emmanuel Adebayor.

The Togo international is looking to leave Stade Louis II after falling out with club officials.

Monaco are believed to be ready to listen to offers for the 21-year-old after growing fed-up with the player's antics.

Arsenal have held a long-term interest in Adebayor and they are thought to have been alerted to the giant striker's availability.

Reports in France suggest Arsenal are ready to offer €10 million for the player and hand him a four-and-a-half-year deal to come to Highbury.

However, Monaco are believed to be holding out for a higher figure for Adebayor.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think the Diarra thing will happen, Adebayor move seems possible though...

its official

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> French midfielder Abou Diaby signs for Arsenal

Abou Diaby

French Under-19 international Abou Diaby has today signed for Arsenal from Auxerre on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.

Central midfielder Diaby (19), progressed through the youth ranks at French club Auxerre and made his league debut in the 2004/05 season at the age of 18. He has since made a total of 10 appearances for the Division One side, including both legs of the UEFA Cup First Round match against Levski Sofia.

On the international stage, Diaby was Captain of the French side that won the Under-19 European Championships in 2005, beating England 3-1 in the Final, which was played in Belfast last summer.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: “We’re delighted to welcome Abou to the Club. He is a strong midfielder and has shown huge potential during his time at Auxerre. He will be a tremendous addition to our squad.â€

Abou Diaby said: “I am so happy to have signed for Arsenal. The Club has great history and a squad which is full of high quality players. This is a very exciting time for me and I’m looking forward to a successful career here.â€

Abou will immediately join up with his new team mates and will wear the No 2 shirt.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Vassiriki Abou Diaby - player factfile

Abou Diaby

Following the news that Abou Diaby has agreed to join Arsenal Football Club, we've put together a factfile on the young French midfielder...

Progressed through the Youth Academy at Auxerre, making his league debut at the age of 18.

Captain of the France Under-19 team which won the U19 Euro Championship in 2005, beating England 3-1 in the Final in Belfast.

Featured in this season’s UEFA Cup competition for Auxerre, playing in both legs of the first round match against Levski Sofia.

PLAYER PROFILE

Full name: Vassiriki Abou Diaby

Nationality: French

Born: 11th May 1986. Paris, France.

Height / Weight: 188cm / 75kg

Previous Clubs: Auxerre

Signed pro in Summer 2003

2004/05

5 Appearances (0 goals)

2005/06

5 Appearances (1 goal)

Position: Midfielder

Transfer details: Long term contract, undisclosed fee

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

arsenal.com

there is a great quote from the Auxerres vice president saying how both us and chelsea submitted bids for diaby, he said

"the choice belonged to Diaby"

"But Arsene Wenger in the end was better than Jose Mourinho, thats all" icon_biggrin.gif

ceefax page 303 btw

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by punkskamonkey:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

*loads up FM2006 data editor* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moving Diarra, Walcott and Adebayor too? Its obvious that we'll get all of them icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not sure about Adebayor, I heard Wenger has lost intrest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

ahaha that quote about wenger being better than mourinho is class.

nice to see chelsea trying to sabotage yet another move, unlucky you classless c*nts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by punkskamonkey:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

*loads up FM2006 data editor* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moving Diarra, Walcott and Adebayor too? Its obvious that we'll get all of them icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, just improving them... icon_wink.gif

We won't get Diarra now we've got Diaby.

Number 2 shirt? Long gone are the days of Lee Dixon...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

So unless he is going to rush Cole back the back four will be

Gilbert

Lauren

Senderos

<STRIKE>Toure</STRIKE>Cygan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That back four looks awfull, is Diaby going to be in the squad?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MickE:

Adebayor could join Arsenal today

Have to say i'm not convinced about him, hasn't he got a really poor goalscoring record? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

couple of post ago i claimed wenger had lost intrest icon_redface.gif I heard he is an 'english style' CF. Although I havent seen much of him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slightly Welsh Shrew:

As long as he can win flick ons and get on the end of a few crosses I'll be more than happy.

Would have been just as happy with Kiessling or ZIGIC, but Wenger seemed to fancy more of a moan about the African nations cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think he has a bit more than Zigic.

I know he's very quick, which I can't imagine Zigic being. And he's younger.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

Will Adebayor or Diaby be able to play in the Champions League? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have Monaco or Auxerre played in the Champion's League...?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slightly Welsh Shrew:

As long as he can win flick ons and get on the end of a few crosses I'll be more than happy.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded would be great to see at least one cross into the box actually go to one of our players.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

Will Adebayor or Diaby be able to play in the Champions League? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diaby can. Not sure about Adebayor as he played for Monaco in the final qualifying round and i don't know if that causes him to be cup tied or not as i think Uefa have changed the rules this season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Springbok256:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded would be great to see at least one cross into the box actually go to one of our players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially since Henry seems to be playing deeper this season

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Springbok256:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded would be great to see at least one cross into the box actually go to one of our players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially since Henry seems to be playing deeper this season

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wycombe:

exciting times :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After months of starvation buying players like Diaby and Adebayor is just as good as Kaka and Adriano

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You haven't put a cross in since about 2001, have you? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Actually I bet he's shlt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite the optomist I see

Actually I bet he's shlt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite the optomist I see </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's also an optimist.

Congratulations on your awards goon, by the way. icon14.gif

Archived