Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

97/98 Double team of Seaman, Dixon, Keown, Adams, Winterburn, Parlour, Vieira, Petit, Overmars, Bergkamp & Wright/Anelka would destroy this current Arsenal team. Unfortunately. icon_frown.gif

Current Arsenal side is just completely lacking in physical players that know how to compete and grind out results even when they aren't playing well.

I just want back an Arsenal team that will at least let opponents know they've been in a tough game rather than the current lot who continue to pass the ball endlessly around and go nowhere when 2-0 down at home.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x-man:

Current Arsenal side is just completely lacking in physical players that know how to compete and grind out results even when they aren't playing well.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can't level that against them today.

and you can only grind out results when playing poorly IF you get the refereeing decisions going in your favour.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x-man:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can't level that against them today.

and you can only grind out results when playing poorly IF you get the refereeing decisions going in your favour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fine - we should have gone 1-0 up through van Persie, but plenty of decisions went against us in 97/98 as well (how many red cards and suspension for yellows? Not even taking into account absences through injuries either) and we still ground out the results. icon_cool.gif

And only the back line seemed to have any physical presence today - every time Chelsea came forward, the cut through our midfield like it wasn't even there. I know I'm talking about the Petit-Vieira (god-like) partnership, but Fabregas, Hleb and Flamini were far too light-weight today. Even Gilberto doesn't add much of a physical force either.

Lauren's ****-up didn't help though. icon_frown.gif

tbh the first team needs an overhaul of 4 players, frabregas should not be playing every week, gilberto is a poor mans viera and if is to play it shpuld be in a 5 man midfield with him holding.

chelsea can play makele holding as they then have lampard and essien. with us we then only have fabrgas as a forward threat and thats not really his main game.

we then need two defensive players and a goalkeeper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Don't forget a striker to replace Henry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if i am not mistaken he is still there now, i am only thinking about what we need now son

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

basically its wenger fault for letting the team get stale after the invincible season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can't really level that against him as its clear he is trying to build the next title winning side here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

basically its wenger fault for letting the team get stale after the invincible season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can't really level that against him as its clear he is trying to build the next title winning side here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

lehmann has been awesome this season? icon_biggrin.gif

randomly replacing players \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a back up and future replacement mate

you can't really level that against him as its clear he is trying to build the next title winning side here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

with what? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

if i am not mistaken he is still there now, i am only thinking about what we need now son </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And seeing as the transfer window is shut now, where are you going to magic up these two defensive players and goalkeeper kiddo?

a back up and future replacement mate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i am only thinking about what we need now son

The undefeated season was a fluke and we've never looked like ever coming close to repeating it - things have been going stale since Wiltord scored the winner at Old Trafford in 2002.

We've had the younger players coming through, but that's not enough to stay at the top if you don't replace title-winning players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

with what? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

senderos, toure, fabregas, cole, henry, reyes, van persie, hleb, quincy.

Or how about a, wait for it...radical change of formation for once Mr Wenger? Our beloved 442 has been worked out..for good. If you can't beat it, copy it. Chelsea's system is superb. We got the players to implement it and get used to it until the end of this utter gash season.

Lehman

Lauren

Campbell

Toure

Cole

Gilberto

Fabregas

Freddie

Reyes

Van Persie

Henry

We have nothing to lose.

you can't really level that against him as its clear he is trying to build the next title winning side here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well he is not doing a very good job is he, we have needed players for nearly two years now but for some reason he will not buy them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

if we got eto'o in exchange for henry i wouldn't complain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dream on Wicom icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not a dream, if henry does leave us for barcelona then eto'o is looking for a new club, we'd be the perfect place for him.

a back up and future replacement mate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i am only thinking about what we need now son </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we need a back up now or are you comfortable with almumia

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Neil:

Or how about a, wait for it...radical change of formation for once Mr Wenger? Our beloved 442 has been worked out..for good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rubbish, football has been played for decades, highly unlikely 442 has suddenly become useless.

we need a back up now or are you comfortable with almumia </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

until the end of the season yes.

if i am not mistaken he is still there now, i am only thinking about what we need now son </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And seeing as the transfer window is shut now, where are you going to magic up these two defensive players and goalkeeper kiddo? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't get smart with me icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Neil:

Or how about a, wait for it...radical change of formation for once Mr Wenger? Our beloved 442 has been worked out..for good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rubbish, football has been played for decades, highly unlikely 442 has suddenly become useless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4-4-2 with no wingers and trying to thread balls through the eye of a needle might have done though.

well he is not doing a very good job is he, we have needed players for nearly two years now but for some reason he will not buy them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

which positions?

goalkeeper? there are very few world class goalkeepers around, most clubs are looking for one.

defenders? we have senderos who will be immense. we have clichy who will be immense. be patient.

midfielders? manutd have resorted to playing alan smith in there, there simply aren't that many vieira/keane mk II's floating about.

strikers? rvp, reyes, quincy, be patient.

rubbish, football has been played for decades, highly unlikely 442 has suddenly become useless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said "our" 442. Our implementation of it has been found out. Wenger has got nothing to lose and should try it out.

I said "our" 442. Our implementation of it has been found out. Wenger has got nothing to lose and should try it out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we aren't in european places and we still have a CL to win, lets stick with our championship winning formula for a while longer ok.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

4-4-2 with no wingers and trying to thread balls through the eye of a needle might have done though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, thats the point im trying to make. All this 100 passes around area crap is just a joke.

with what? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

senderos, toure, fabregas, cole, henry, reyes, van persie, hleb, quincy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. too young

2. too crap

3. too young

4. off to spain

5. off to spain

6. lightweight whinger

7. rapist, may be lost for portions of season

8. can't pass

9. overrated.

NEXT!

well he is not doing a very good job is he, we have needed players for nearly two years now but for some reason he will not buy them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

which positions?

goalkeeper? there are very few world class goalkeepers around, most clubs are looking for one.

defenders? we have senderos who will be immense. we have clichy who will be immense. be patient.

midfielders? manutd have resorted to playing alan smith in there, there simply aren't that many vieira/keane mk II's floating about.

strikers? rvp, reyes, quincy, be patient. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keeper = Dudek? Wengers always been interested in him, and he's not needed by us. Would be a decent backup for Lehmann and good enough to take the jersey on for himself in future.

Hmm, pretty depressing game. We didn't play particularly badly, but again, two lapses of concentration from players playing out of position cost us goals.

Some promising aspects, thought Flamini had a very solid game, careful with possession and never shirking a challange. I'd forgotten just how good Touré is at attacking, if we didn't miss his pace so much in the middle I'd be really tempted to just leave him out there. Lehmann maintains his run of really good performances, only two perfectly placed shots beat him. Senderos, when winning the ball, was superb. When chasing back significant;y less so.

Hleb for me was really disappointing. seemed very off the pace, and shouldn't have started ahead of Pires. Fabregas struggled to get into it, as did many, but more with the keeping posession side rather than the challanging for the ball.

So, we're now pretty much losing Henry, it's just a question of whether it's this summer or next.

Against that defence a plan B wouldn't have really helped that much, but it would have been nice to see some variation.

Funny thing is, we didn't play as badly as I expected we would with a light centre midfield and wrong-footed full backs.

Why in a 'must win' game do we decide to change our formation to match the opposition? I can't be the only one that remebers the FA cup final where we got absolutely battered for 120 minutes.

A waste of RvP, playing him out on the left. Even if he has played there in the past he's a million times more effective through the middle.

"we'd" icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

andy with his strong catalan accent posting live from barcelona mates. :*)

yeah i'm sure messi would be delighted to sit around on the bench all season mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>let me pretend to identify with a club, at least icon_biggrin.gif

I imagine Messi wouldn't have to sit on the bench, seeing that he'd take Deco's spot, who'd take Xavi's spot, who'd take Marquez's spot, who'd take Puyol's spot, who'd take Oleguer's spot.

or something like that. I'm sure we could make football a twelve man thing if need be

Archived