Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eyedBghay4cesc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Actually, I was chatting about this to the lad I sit next to at Arsenal. We were basically questioning whether Cesc is actually as good as we all like to think he is. I know that he is still only young, and people have unusually high expectations of him, but is he really that good?

What is the stand out feature of his game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How dare you !? angryfire.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Emm....Passing, vision, first-touch, anticipation and movement better than most of the premier league. And he's only a teen FFS.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Springbok256:

So Torres whats he like? Ive been reading all the rumours linking him to us in the rags, sounds pretty good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes not bad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Springbok256:

So Torres whats he like? Ive been reading all the rumours linking him to us in the rags, sounds pretty good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes not bad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He'd do this tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Meanwhile, reports in Spain suggest that Malaga are to be sold to a consortium closely connected to Arsenal. A society linked to Highbury have agreed to buy the Spanish club for €39 million.

The offer is believed to have been agreed on Friday and is under discussion by the club's owner, Group Zeta. If, as expected, the deal goes through, Arsenal will use Malaga as a feeder club.

Last month it was reported that a British consortium attempting to buy Malaga were being led by former England international Tim Sherwood. The former Norwich, Blackburn and Spurs midfielder and his unnamed fellow bidders had asked for the accounts so that they could be audited. The Primera Liga club are known to be about £12 million in debt.

There have been four meetings between the club's owners and the consortium. No figure has been quoted by Malaga president Serafin Roldan, but he is known to be keen to sell at the right price.

Slightly better translation of Berts story.

Biggest concern, what an earth is Tim Sherwood doing being in anyway connected with Arsenal.

Yes I know he supposed to be a lifelong Arsenal fan, but to my mind hes nothing more than a massive ****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are they connected closely to Arsenal ?

Is it merely the Sherwood thing (weak) or is there some other business link there ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by batch:

Aye, Brighton to Wigan on a saturday am isnt the easiest trip.

Hoping to get down for the title decider on the last day myslef. Fingers crossed i can get tickets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Title decider icon_biggrin.gif

Well that will be an emotional day for certain.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James B:

A bad time for us to play your lot next weekend. You're hitting form and I could see you going on a good run through winter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hope so i cannot stand fat sam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollers Kenners:

We can't keep playing Cygan at left back can we?

Surely we must have a 16 year old or something who can do a better job there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you would think so but you know wenger he does just not throw in young players

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rdysn5:

Wicom what are your thoughts on comparisons between Van Persie and Van Basten, which are being made frequently? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

way to early for that and they are different players although my name is not wicom icon_biggrin.gif

Saw RvP goal this morning. Absoluty brilliant strike!

I have to say though, the defence is getting caught out time and time again, not just down the left where Cygan is either. It looks very very shakey and it needs to be a lot tighter when Chelsea come to Highbury.

Watching Mezzanote on Bravo now. Paddy accusing Totti of diving when he pushed him over, and me being so glad we have Lehmann in goal, and not sodding Abbiati flapping away at everything. icon_smile.gif

And as i've seen s**tloads of Rovers recently, they have improved massively from last season, Bellamy's playing very, very well and we always struggle a bit against Rovers anyway (well, more than some other average sides icon_smile.gif ).

Squad for tomorrows league cup game.

Manuel Almunia

Mart Poom

Emmanuel Eboue

Kerrea Gilbert

Johann Djourou

Philippe Senderos

Quincy

Fabrice Muamba

Mathieu Flamini

Sebastian Larsson

Robin Van Persie

Arturo Lupoli

Nicklas Bendtner

Matthew Connolly

Pascal Cygan

Jose Antonio Reyes

I'd have though Pascal would have been rested being our only fit 'left back'.

With Cole having a set back and Clichy out for a good few months, we are going to have to play both the mancs and Chelsea with him there icon_frown.gif

David Beckham would relish the prospect of lining up alongside Thierry Henry at Real Madrid.

Henry's future at Arsenal is shrouded in mystery with the Frenchman seemingly stalling on talks to extend a contract which has just 18 months left to run.

Barcelona are known admirers of the prolific striker and Beckham admits that he is unsure of Henry's intentions.

But should he opt for a move to La Liga, the England captain has urged him to choose El Bernabeu over Camp Nou and remains fearful of the consequences if Henry finds a home in Catalonia.

"It would be amazing if Thierry Henry joined Madrid - he is one of the best strikers in the world," said Beckham.

"Maybe he will stay at Arsenal and maybe he won't.

"But just imagine what would happen if he went to Barcelona with Ronaldinho and Samuel Eto'o."

FFS IF all you players want to play along side Henry then you come to us! angryfire.gif

Squad for tomorrows league cup game.

Manuel Almunia

Mart Poom

Emmanuel Eboue

Kerrea Gilbert

Johann Djourou

Philippe Senderos

Quincy

Fabrice Muamba

Mathieu Flamini

Sebastian Larsson

Robin Van Persie

Arturo Lupoli

Nicklas Bendtner

Matthew Connolly

Pascal Cygan

Jose Antonio Reyes

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just looked at that team, how many of them are English? 2?

I know its mentioned time and time again but i do feel sometimes this is something we are missing. Sometimes you need that English heart to get you through games, like it is doing for Chelsea at the moment and ManUtd in the past.

At the moment, and the last couple of seasons, i would say were a confidence team. When were high, we can beat anyone on the planet with ease. But when morale is low, we can just about lose to anyone.

Obviously the main problem is that all the English players we would be interested in all play for Chelsea, ManUtd, Liverpool and Tottenham. So we cant afford them icon_frown.gif The only one who we possibly could have got is Wright-Philips, but then Chelsea came in so we couldnt compete.

I do agree with Wenger that the passport doesnt/shouldnt matter, but im sure most Arsenal fans would like to see a few more English players in the squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In an effort to increase the atmosphere at Highbury during the build up to kick-off, a new initiative is being tried against Reading tomorrow night and at subsequent games over the festive period.

In many European stadia, particularly in Germany, the PA announcer only announces the first names of the home team's players, with fans THEN shouting the surname IN UNISON.

Those supporters who have heard this on their travels confirmed that it's a very effective way of raising the noise levels prior to a match and we would ask everyone to enthusiastically join in with this new initiative and raise the roof here at Highbury.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

link

This could be a great sucess or a huge flop it could be quite confusing at times:

PA: Gilberto

Crowd: ??????

PA: Quincy

Crowd: ??????

PA: Lauren

Crowd: ?????

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know its mentioned time and time again but i do feel sometimes this is something we are missing. Sometimes you need that English heart to get you through games, like it is doing for Chelsea at the moment and ManUtd in the past.

At the moment, and the last couple of seasons, i would say were a confidence team. When were high, we can beat anyone on the planet with ease. But when morale is low, we can just about lose to anyone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what got us through our unbeaten run? English heart? It's all very well when your English players are Lampard, Terry and Rooney tbh.

Your second point applies to anyone. Look at United when they were low. Could Smith, Neville and Rooney save them with their famous 'English heart'?

It's a myth, mostly created by bitter English pundits or managers. I'd rather stick with players that clearly give everything for Arsenal, i.e. Henry and Bert, rather than players that are supposedly more spirited because they were born in Croydon.

That's a f**king stupid idea.

I remember being at Man Utd - Dinamo Kiev (executive boxes, obviously) and they made a big deal that their announcer had seen them do this in Germany. Makes us look a bit comical, much like it did to United that night.

And as you said, who's gonna shout 'Bisane Etame*!!' icon_biggrin.gif

* may or may not even be right

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

I remember being at Man Utd - Dinamo Kiev (executive boxes, obviously) and they made a big deal that their announcer had seen them do this in Germany. Makes us look a bit comical, much like it did to United that night.

* may or may not even be right </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shame we dont have Kanu anymore i would love to hear the bloke shout Nwankwo really loudly, good job we dont hve Edu either what part of is mile long name would be shouted out then?

if we are going to adopt german fan habits i would love to do the thing they do at corners where the put their hands outstretched in front and shake their hands and when the corners kicked throw them up in the air while going "woooooooaaaaaaahhhhhhh" icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James B:

A bad time for us to play your lot next weekend. You're hitting form and I could see you going on a good run through winter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pascal Cygan at left-back. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

* may or may not even be right </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They've tried it a couple of times and it's always fallen on its arse. Awful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

Pascal Cygan at left-back. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rod Hull & Emo at left-back >>> Cygan at left-back

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

Pascal Cygan at left-back. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rod Hull & Emo at left-back >>> Cygan at left-back </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would find that funny if it weren't actually true. icon_frown.gif

Archived