Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> WENGER FACES HENRY DECISION

Arsene Wenger must decide whether to play Arsenal captain Thierry Henry against Sunderland.

Henry returned from a minor injury setback to score the opening goal against Sparta Prague in Wednesday night's Champions League victory, but was substituted during the second half as a precaution against further complications to his groin problem.

Goalkeeper Jens Lehmann is expected to be available following a stiff back which kept him out of the 3-0 victory over the Czechs at Highbury. Midfielder Freddie Ljungberg (hamstring) will not feature. Full-back Ashley Cole (foot) and midfielder Alexander Hleb (knee) are recovering well, but will be out for around another month.

Sunderland boss Mick McCarthy is likely to play central defender Danny Collins at left-back in the clash at Highbury.

The 25-year-old has returned to training after a dead leg and with Justin Hoyte unavailable due to the terms of his loan deal and Julio Arca (toe) and George McCartney (hamstring tendon) out injured, is one of few genuine alternatives.

Midfielder Tommy Miller is battling against a dead leg and Stephen Elliott (back) and Gary Breen (ribs) are fit, but Stephen Wright (knee) and Christian Bassila (hamstring) are out.

Teams:

Arsenal (from): Lehmann, Almunia, Lauren, Toure, Campbell, Clichy, Reyes, Eboue, Gilberto, Flamini, Pires, Fabregas, Henry, Van Persie, Bergkamp, Poom, Song, Cygan, Senderos, Quincy, Lupoli, Muamba.

Sunderland (from): Davis, Alnwick, Nosworthy, D Collins, Smith, Breen, Caldwell, Stubbs, Miller, Whitehead, Lawrence, Welsh, Robinson, Le Tallec, Woods, Gray, Elliott, Stead, Murphy.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Muamba in the squad icon_cool.gif

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

how ****ing cool would mourinho losing a legal case be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not as cool as wenger just twatting him in the face at the game in december

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has travelled to Holland in order to assess potential recruits for his Highbury squad.

The Gunners have fruitfully raided Holland in the past with the purchase of in-form youngster Robin van Persie, and Wenger has been watching his former club Feyenoord in action.

The French tactician is casting his eye over the Rotterdam side as they take on Vitesse on Sunday, with a range of players cited as potential targets in the Dutch media.

Arsenal have previously been linked with star forwards Dirk Kuyt and Romeo Castelen, whilst Egyptian midfielder Hossam Ghaly has made no secret of his desire to turn out for the London outfit.

However, emerging talents Salomon Kalou and Jonathan de Guzman have also been put forward as prospective signings for The Gunners.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Oooooh, Castelen. icon_smile.gif

Kalou would just be signed up by Chelsea, if we tried. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't rate Castelen tbh, decent player but nowhere near the class of a potential Arsenal player..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Saturday, 19 November 2005

Barclays Premiership

Wigan v Arsenal, 12:45

Saturday, 26 November 2005

Barclays Premiership

Arsenal v Blackburn, 15:00

Saturday, 03 December 2005

Barclays Premiership

Bolton v Arsenal, 15:00

Saturday, 10 December 2005

Barclays Premiership

Newcastle v Arsenal, 17:15

Sunday, 18 December 2005

Barclays Premiership

Arsenal v Chelsea, 16:00

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what a horrendous fixture list icon_biggrin.gif

but if we want a chance of the title we need to win all those games :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Terribly, I agree HOVI.

This was a small victory for us in that sense alone, but no other.

Just shows how tough it was to go on that run, because this Chelsea side is far stonger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how the mighty have fallen that we settle for that icon_frown.gif

a few players though and we will be back i just don't know who though.

Erm, not quite what I meant HOVI.

We aren't settling for anything, and we are still debatably the second best team, in a league with a side miles ahead of everyone else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would not say miles better with the current players but i get your point

That might have come out wrong. We are the second/third best side in a leage, where Chelsea are miles ahead of anyone else.

Incase it wasn't clear. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok i get you now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt claims Arsenal are interested in buying him.

The 25-year-old Dutch international, linked with Tottenham last summer, has scored 53 goals in the last two seasons, including eight this campaign.

And Gunners boss Arsene Wenger was at the De Kuip stadium for Sunday's goalless draw with Vitesse Arnhem.

"I find it special that a top coach like Wenger takes the trouble of coming from England to Rotterdam to look at me," Kuyt told AD Sportwereld.

"Arsenal are of course a great club to be connected to. But I am not the type of person that goes crazy."

Liverpool and Everton were also linked with the £12m striker in the summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or Kalou please icon_smile.gif

why would we be in for kalou or castelan?

aren't they wide forward players. don't we have enough of them? have we forgotten we bought hleb in the summmer?

kuyt is a possibility but i think with van persie starting to fire up front a centre forward is unlikely.

got to be that ghaly bloke hasn't it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">have we forgotten we bought hleb in the summmer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pires sell by date tbh, and Hleb is more comfortable in the centre imo.

And Kalou is a forward, as much as a winger. And don't we regularly talk about needing more down the right?

And we do need another genuine striker Mikkel.

This is the lad we had over on trial recently, top scorer in the u17 World Cup (sound familiar icon_cool.gif)

Anyway, I'm not sure what law there is that permits him from coming to us before he is 18, unless its a Mexican FA thing, like the Brazilians under 18 can only go to Portugal or something before that age.

The Mexican Carlos Vela, scorer of the side that gained the World U-17 Cup signed today for Arsenal of England for $3.5 million (some €4.2 million) but will play with Spanish club Valencia until reaching adulthood.

In statements made to a radio station of Cancun, the player of 16 years old confirmed his transfer to Arsenal in a negotiation with his team, Guadalajara of Mexico. The Mexican striker announced that until he reaches the age required by the English law to play for Arsenal, he will be on loan to Valencia of Spain.

Sources at the team Guadalajara indicated to the radio station of Cancun, hometown of the player, that the total of the acquisition reached $3.5 million and that the contract will be signed in the next few days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Read my post again and see how many times the word 'Mexican' is used. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought the one that was being mentioned was at barcelona?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

No thats Dos Santos that you are thinkin of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thought so, so how good is this guy we have signed?

yeah we do need a genuine striker i agree.

would personally prefer torres to kuyt. just because he's scored a few in the dutch league... does that make him van nistleroy or kezman?

yeah we need more down the right maybe, but i would say there are more pressing concerns. we have freddie, pires, hleb (no way is he going to play centre midfield!), quincy who can all play out there..

don't know much about ghaly. but wenger is not bad and spotting central midfielders to be honest (vieira, petit, gilberto, edu, fabregas...) so if he wants this guy over the other names mentioned i'd trust him 100%

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

No thats Dos Santos that you are thinkin of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thought so, so how good is this guy we have signed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

let's hope he's as good as the last 16 year old we signed just after he top scored the u-17 championships...

Found this on Arseweb

'Article 19 ("Protection of Minors") states that international transfers of players under the age of 18 are not permitted. There are 3 exceptions none of which apply to Vela's situation: the parents moving to the new country for reasons not connected to football; the transfer of a 16 to 18 year old taking place within the EU (and the new club providing education); and both the player's residence and the new club being located with 50km of the border. Vela will turn 18 on the 3rd of January 2007.'

So that explains why he cant come to Arsenal yet, but not why he can be loaned to Valencia?

• SI Staff

He finished top goalscorer in the U-17 Championships, including one in the final and World Soccer this month have him down as one of their players of the tournament.

It says about him " Consistently too quick for his marker and finished well, both in the air and with his left foot."

Sounds good to me icon14.gif

Guest DaleHirst

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikkel Blue:

let's hope he's as good as the last 16 year old we signed just after he top scored the u-17 championships... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but who was that then?

Cesc something or other, forget his last name. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some one call?

More on young Vela

ARSENAL have reached an agreement to sign Mexican wonderkid Carlos Vela.

Striker Vela, 16, helped Mexico win the Under-17 World Championship for the first time last month.

The Gunners have agreed to pay £2million for the youngster, who will play on loan at Spanish side Valencia until he turns 18.

The Cancun-born whizkid has not yet made his professional debut with present club Guadalajara.

His father Enrique said: “These chances appear only once in a lifetime.

“I know Guadalajara wanted Carlos to stay but fortunately everything went well and we have reached an amicable agreement.â€

Vela won the Golden Boot by netting five goals in six matches in the Under-17 tournament in Peru.

The player said: “My desire is to go to Europe and it’s all set up with Arsenal. They are an extraordinary club.

Actually, I was chatting about this to the lad I sit next to at Arsenal. We were basically questioning whether Cesc is actually as good as we all like to think he is. I know that he is still only young, and people have unusually high expectations of him, but is he really that good?

What is the stand out feature of his game?

Archived