Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Dear Arsenal fans.

Arsenal are Come on Poolies second favourite team.

Now vote for him in the shootout and quick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just couldn't let it go, could you? icon_biggrin.gif

On-topic: I'm rather confident we'll win tonight, I have a feeling for 2-1. We'll go cruise for the first half then let in a sloppy goal, for the usual scrappy finish. Captin Jens? icon_biggrin.gif Lauren or Gilberto are the only other two candidates I could find. MON TEH INJURED.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slightly Welsh Shrew:

Loving all this doom and gloom again. Gotta wait until tomorrow to see the game though, taped match of the day coming through the post.

HOVI coming out with the old "Wenger should have bought some world class players instead of doing nothing in the summer."

Hopefully a drumming of Sparta should see us right again. And of course Henry snapping his ligaments after coming back too soon... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i never said world class players

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsène Wenger will only buy in the transfer window if he finds a player of “super qualityâ€.

The new transfer window opens on January 1 and the Frenchman may try to add to the quality of the squad but he does not need to supplement the quantity.

“It depends what is on the market,†said Wenger. “We will try to have a look.

“We don’t need to buy for the numbers but if [someone with] super quality comes up then yes. If not, then no.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So that'd be a no then? No new players in January would surely be a bit of a disapointment and another risk, were in a "mini crisis" with the amount of injuries we have now! I just hope we find a few special "someones" to at least add depth/challange the regulars.

I don't think we lack quality... we do appear to lack a spark and a big signing might provide that spark.

The likes of Reyes and RvP were canny signings, ones that will bear fruit - but we haven't made a 'big' signing in years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Mmmmm, because we were superb, flying and much higher profile when we signed Dennis Bergkamp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

football has changed alot from ten years ago i mean spurs signed klinsman icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

I don't think we lack quality... we do appear to lack a spark and a big signing might provide that spark.

The likes of Reyes and RvP were canny signings, ones that will bear fruit - but we haven't made a 'big' signing in years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely Reyes was seen as a big signing at the time?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

The likes of Reyes and RvP were canny signings, ones that will bear fruit - but we haven't made a 'big' signing in years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely Reyes was seen as a big signing at the time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i always had my reservations about him, i did not see him as a big signing but a player that cost alot of money.

the last player i got excited about arsenal signing was marc overmars fb player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Mmmmm, because we were superb, flying and much higher profile when we signed Dennis Bergkamp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

football has changed alot from ten years ago i mean spurs signed klinsman icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Newcastle just signed Owen.

And Reyes was wanted by far bigger clubs thanm us tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

football has changed alot from ten years ago i mean spurs signed klinsman icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Newcastle just signed Owen.

And Reyes was wanted by far bigger clubs thanm us tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

only newcastle wanted owen thougha and priced everyone else out of the deal and reyes was and still is potential.

we will see anyway i hope i am wrong.

cygan is playing icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMGWTF Cygan is......nah, I can't do it due to him being nowhere near as bad as people make out.

Arsenal XI

Lehmann

Lauren

Cygan

Toure

Clichy

Pires

Gilberto

Flamini

Fabregas

RvP

Reyes

Yep HOVI. Cygan is the thing that stands out as being weird there, isn't it? icon_confused.gif

cygan is playing icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMGWTF Cygan is......nah, I can't do it due to him being nowhere near as bad as people make out.

Arsenal XI

Lehmann

Lauren

Cygan

Toure

Clichy

Pires

Gilberto

Flamini

Fabregas

RvP

Reyes

Yep HOVI. Cygan is the thing that stands out as being weird there, isn't it? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i actually understand cygan being in now but why not give quincy a game ffs.

wenger talks about youth but would rather play 3 central midfielders.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn Michaels:

Is it just coincidence that the three games we have lost this year have all been the first game back after an international break??

This definitely happened last season as well - we definitely struggle the first game back when the players have been away.

It needs sorting ASAP! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

quite. ban internationals icon_mad.gif

anyways, far more importantly ....

THIERRY HENRY, THIERRY HENRY, THIERRY HENRY

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

186 not out! here's hoping he stays for a long time and puts the record so far out of reach no-one has a hope in hell of getting near it again!

THIERRY HENRY icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Does he automatically take on the rape charge as well then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Stack should take it on.

He has experience of such matters and it might make him feel more like one of the first team squad again!

So I've been thinking about Thierrys best goals for Arsenal in honour of his record breaking

In no particular order.

The sixty yard run, dribble and finish against Sperz at Highbury, and the massively antagonising celebration

The fizzer into the top corner against Man City in 03/04 'You dont save those'

The flick, turn and volley against man u in erm 00/01?, superb goal.

His first of course, smashed in to the corner at the Dell in late 99, I was sat in the home end screaming under my breath

Free Kick in the CL against Juventus at Highbury, so much pace and swerve and right in the corner. The score was 3-1 to Arsenal scored against his old team, that being Juventus.

Leeds away in 02/03 iirc, picked the ball up in his own half and outpaced the defender before curling into the bottom corner, classic Henry finish.

Leeds at home the following season, his 4th of the game, outpaced the Leeds defence again, got clipped as he approached the keeper, and whilst falling still managed to get his foot under the ball and clip it over the keeper. 'Ive seen most things in this league in 25 years, but I've never seen anything like him'

Liverpool at home a few weeks before, 2-1 down at half time, title looking nervy, waltzes past the Liverpool defence leaving two or three on their arses, puts us 3-2 ahead.

His second vs Inter in the 5-1 win, broke from a corner, sent the defender one way then the other, left foot rocket into the bottom corner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn Michaels:

Is it just coincidence that the three games we have lost this year have all been the first game back after an international break??

This definitely happened last season as well - we definitely struggle the first game back when the players have been away.

It needs sorting ASAP! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is one of Myles'(ANR ) pet theories. He reckons the machine (the arsenal team) becomes off kilter a bit because the style of play needs everything to be just right. Or something like that.

• SI Staff

There is a vote thing on SSN for Henry's best Arsenal goals. Options were

1. 60 yard Spurs run

2. Flick and turn against Man Utd

3. Flick, thigh and volley away to West Ham

4. 'You don't save those' against Man City

5. Freekick away to Roma in the CL

6. His 2nd away to Inter when he made Zanetti look a fool

7. Liverpool at home when he went past about 5 players and making Carragher run into Biscan

8. 30 yard screamer at home to Man Utd in the unbeaten season

Thinks that was all of them

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollers Kenners:

3. Flick, thigh and volley away to West Ham

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely forgot about that one, I was at the game too. icon_eek.gif

Archived