Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rdysn5:

Aye, Gilbert is underrated.

BTW, the Oliveira who is being bandied about. Is it the Ricardo Oliveira who plays for Betis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rdysn5:

BTW, the Oliveira who is being bandied about. Is it the Ricardo Oliveira who plays for Betis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where is this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

where is this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

spain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikkel Blue:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

where is this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

spain </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what i mean is, is there a news story or is it just the opinions in this thread he means.

One for Mr Retro

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The player that never comes up in voting and is unlikely to win Player of the Month but one whose performances deserve special recognition is Lauren.

Lauren is a vastly underrated part of the Arsenal machinery. A very important player that has NEVER been dropped by Wenger when available since he moved to the first team and has appeared in the Premier League Team of the Year 3 times in his 5 year English career without notice or fuss.

A lot of fans are quick to blame Lauren for defensive errors but what they don't realise is that it is exactly the same underserved blame that Ashley Cole used to get in the England's diamond formation. What I mean is, Lauren like Ashley rarely got beaten on a one-to-one situation. They were only ever exposed rather than beaten.

For England, Ashley Cole was exposed by not having cover when he moved forward. At Arsenal, Sol Campbell is good at covering for Ashley and Vieira was also very "left-minded". He covered on the left and passed the ball to the left side a lot. At Arsenal, Vieira did not cover Lauren and when Freddie made box runs, the whole right was exposed leaving only Kolo Touré to move over. Lauren was always unfairly blamed for this and it detracted from his contribution to the team.

Lauren has seven great qualities.

He's a very tough competitor. Lauren doesn't smile on the pitch of make friends on it. He tackles even his former national team-mates hard. He's got the competitive streak that most Arsenal players don't have.

Lauren has bags of desire. He doesn't get intimidated and plays the same against West Brom as he does against Chelsea. He is a real winner.

Lauren is experienced. He's played 2 World Cups, won the African Nations Cup twice, played in Spain for Sevilla, Levante and Real Mallorca and Arsenal.

He is good tackling defender. He rarely gets beaten on a straight one-on-one. It's tough when he's running back and trying to defend but when players come at him his defends well. Lauren is also good at stopping players who are fast by when he is on the back foot by impeding them and stopping dangerous counter attacks. That is a very good skill. It comes from experience. He gets bookings for some but saves the team. Very few players can do this effectively, picking the right moments and making sure they don't get sent off.

Lauren's biggest contribution by far is that he takes the ball out of defense. Lauren is an ex-midfielder who is extremely good on the ball. Lauren is more of an "outlet man" to Arsenal than Ashley Cole. Campbell and Touré have to rely on him a lot to take the ball out of defense safely since Arsenal don't play long balls. I counted 23 times in the Ajax game yesterday. He's positive player who can also play final passes. He is very stable under pressure.

He also has incredible energy. He is very fit and I have never seen him looking tired during a game, especially given how many times he runs that line.

Lauren never complains about Arsenal, about money, failures or threatens the club even though Real Madrid were genuinely interested in him 2 seasons ago. He is always positive about Arsenal and even gave up his international career partly to concentrate on Arsenal.

The left side of Arsenal has 3 players (Cole – Píres – Henry) with Campbell and previously Vieira in support. The right side has 2 (Lauren – Freddie). These two work extremely hard with a number disadvantage, sharing defensive responsibility and also creating any attacks from that side . These two deserve a lot of praise. In Fabregas's Arsenal, we have a midfielder who plays to the right and the left and Kolo Touré's cover for Lauren has improved. Hopefully it will give Arsenal fans the chance to celebrate two of their most reliable and greatest: Lauren and Ljungberg.

To Arsenal's Unsung Player of August and September: Lauren Bisan Etame-Mayer.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From Skysports

Cesc: I want to be legend

Arsenal's Spanish starlet Cesc Fabregas is determined to become a Gunners legend.

The 18-year-old, who made his first team debut some two years ago, has been thrust into the first team on a regular basis following the departure of Patrick Vieira.

Cesc does not want to be compared to Vieira, but would one day like to have the same legendary status amongst the Arsenal faithful.

"He is a legend here and it's very difficult to compare anyone with Patrick," said the teenager.

"I don't think there will ever be another Patrick Vieira.

"But I'm working to make my own name at Arsenal and one day I would like to be a legend at Arsenal like Patrick is now.''

Despite not replacing Vieira with a new signing, Cesc insists that Arsenal are capable of winning the UEFA Champions League.

"Arsenal can go all the way this season," he added.

"If we think we are going to go out, what's the point in playing in this kind of tournament? We're winners and we want to win everything.

"It's very different to The Premiership. In Europe last season, Liverpool did very well but in the league, they finished behind Everton and nearly didn't even qualify this time.

"I have heard a lot of people still talking about us. Every year it's the same, they say 'maybe it's going to be Arsenal's year'. But in this tournament, you never know what's going to happen.

"It's always very hard because the best teams in Europe are here. But the team is getting its confidence back and working really hard." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This guy will be a legend i have no doubt, for his age he is amazing, i think we can only imagine what we will be like in his prime!

Must be one of Arsenals/Wengers best signings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From Skysports:

Smith set for Foxes

Leicester City are hopeful of completing the loan capture of Ryan Smith in time for the youngster to make his debut at the weekend.

The Arsenal starlet is highly rated at Highbury but is set to move to The Foxes in order to accrue first team experience.

Smith, a talented wide man, has six senior appearances to his name in North London and will join Leicester until the end of December.

Foxes boss Craig Levein believes the move should prove to be beneficial to both parties, with The Championship club having secured the option of extending the loan spell should Smith impress.

"Ryan is a young player with bags of potential who needs first team experience,'' Levein told the club's official website.

''He is a winger who can play on either side with plenty of pace and ability and I am sure he will excite the Leicester supporters." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should be good experience for him, would also be a chance to get to see how well he can adapt to first team football.

I hope he makes it with us i really do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Henry refuses to discuss new deal

Thierry Henry has told Arsenal he will not hold talks over a new contract before the end of the season.

By then the 28-year-old Frenchman will have 12 months left on his deal - leaving Arsenal in fear he could leave the club for nothing upon its expiry.

Henry said: "I want to concentrate on football, and focus on winning trophies rather than worry about contracts.

"At the end of the season we will talk about it, I will speak to the boss but my mind is not on it at the moment."

Henry claimed he is just reiterating his thoughts from earlier in the season, but his comments will raise anxiety at Highbury.

Manager Arsene Wenger has been desperate to begin talks with Henry, who is currently sidelined with a groin injury.

But Henry added: "We will look to sort something out, but at the moment I have my injury to deal with."

Arsenal's match against West Brom on 15 October is a potential comeback date for Henry, although he remains cautious.

"I don't know if West Brom will come too early," he continued. "I'll need to talk to the boss, but that game is a possibility."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so he wants to focus on winning trophies whilst injured rather than discus a contract :/

i get the feeling we're being strung along here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Henry refuses to discuss new deal

Thierry Henry has told Arsenal he will not hold talks over a new contract before the end of the season.

By then the 28-year-old Frenchman will have 12 months left on his deal - leaving Arsenal in fear he could leave the club for nothing upon its expiry.

Henry said: "I want to concentrate on football, and focus on winning trophies rather than worry about contracts.

"At the end of the season we will talk about it, I will speak to the boss but my mind is not on it at the moment."

Henry claimed he is just reiterating his thoughts from earlier in the season, but his comments will raise anxiety at Highbury.

Manager Arsene Wenger has been desperate to begin talks with Henry, who is currently sidelined with a groin injury.

But Henry added: "We will look to sort something out, but at the moment I have my injury to deal with."

Arsenal's match against West Brom on 15 October is a potential comeback date for Henry, although he remains cautious.

"I don't know if West Brom will come too early," he continued. "I'll need to talk to the boss, but that game is a possibility."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so he wants to focus on winning trophies whilst injured rather than discus a contract :/

i get the feeling we're being strung along here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well if he wants to go we can't stop him, we better get at least 40 million for him though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

we'll have him icon_wink.gif you can have Roy Keane & Alan Smith icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

give us ronaldo, rooney and ferdinand plus 25 million and we will start thinking about it icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

we'll have him icon_wink.gif you can have Roy Keane & Alan Smith icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would you want him, when clearly RvN>Henry...? icon_wink.gif

give us ronaldo, rooney and ferdinand plus 25 million and we will start thinking about it icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bwahahahaha icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikkel Blue:

One for Mr Retro

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha ha. I actually agreed with most of his qualities - pity most of them aren't connected to footballing ability. You'd probably find some bloke playing for Bognor Regis with some of these qualities - but would you want him at right-back?

This one made me laugh though:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Lauren's biggest contribution by far is that he takes the ball out of defense. Lauren is an ex-midfielder who is extremely good on the ball. Lauren is more of an "outlet man" to Arsenal than Ashley Cole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? His control is poor actually - and his passing eratic at best. Watch him take a ball under control from a pass - it invariably loops up off his boot (mind you this happens to Coley a lot as well). Do you ever feel he's going to really make decisive runs down the right flank? As for his crossing - if it beats the first man (which it doesn't 9 times out of ten), then it probably won't beat the second.

He's a very good tackler - I'll give him that., and I can't fault his attitude either. But, the attributes that a fullback truly requires, he doesn't really have to the level we expect imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Lauren was in the top 5 for pass completion success in the prem last season Retro icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stats will prove anything. Those stats only account for when a pass finds a player - not it's context within a match. Roy Keane usually finishes high up those lists too. Why? Because he only ever passes 5 feet. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Lauren was in the top 5 for pass completion success in the prem last season Retro icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

seriously? who were the other 4?

seriously? who were the other 4? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody with any creativity probably! icon_wink.gif

Cesc is one of the best passers in the team - bet his pass completion isn't great, because he actually tries the sort of pass that has less chance of success, but a greater result if it does come off. Petit was a similar type of player.

Anyone can pass to someone a few yards away - surely it's the teammate who deserves the accolade for being available.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

seriously? who were the other 4? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody with any creativity probably! icon_wink.gif

Cesc is one of the best passers in the team - bet his pass completion isn't great, because he actually tries the sort of pass that has less chance of success, but a greater result if it does come off. Petit was a similar type of player.

Anyone can pass to someone a few yards away - surely it's the teammate who deserves the accolade for being available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't expect Alexandre Song to make this year's list!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollers Kenners:

With Henry maybe returning for our next game against West Brom, i'd say not too much longer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well what with that and him being needed back on the right wing (Hleb was poor on sunday) and RVP coming onto score again surely warrenting a starting position up front.

posted on another forum but has anyone else the almost hysterical reaction from leicester fans to ryan smith's sub appearance for them at the weekend? the second coming apparently. please please please don't be another pennant.

Got to admit, I'm not keen on Freddie up front at all. It's not his fault, I just think he's more dangerous coming in from the right midfielde area.

The thing I find odd about RvP is that, well - he doesn't really get involved as much as I'd like! I mean, you know Reyes is playing - he's constantly trying to get involved, but RvP can be a bit like DB... he can just go totally missing from matches.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollers Kenners:

With Henry maybe returning for our next game against West Brom, i'd say not too much longer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well what with that and him being needed back on the right wing (Hleb was poor on sunday) and RVP coming onto score again surely warrenting a starting position up front.

posted on another forum but has anyone else the almost hysterical reaction from leicester fans to ryan smith's sub appearance for them at the weekend? the second coming apparently. please please please don't be another pennant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Linkage?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

Stats will prove anything. Those stats only account for when a pass finds a player - not it's context within a match. Roy Keane usually finishes high up those lists too. Why? Because he only ever passes 5 feet. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know mate icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

posted on another forum but has anyone else the almost hysterical reaction from leicester fans to ryan smith's sub appearance for them at the weekend? the second coming apparently. please please please don't be another pennant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Linkage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

linky

We've been linked with Papa Bouba Diop again and after watching the Fulham game on the weekend this guy is immense. I think that he would definately fill the void of Viera. he is big, strong, fast and has a thunderbolt like shot. January signing perhaps?

The reserves drew 0-0 with Chelsea last night, apparenbtly their keeper made a couple of great saves to prevent us from winning.

I think Bouba Diop would be a great signing, for the right price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But seriously, is he a better player than Fabregas or Gilberto?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

But seriously, is he a better player than Fabregas or Gilberto? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope - not in my opinion. Bertie's the legs - Cesc the class. icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

Not saying that, but i think we are a central midfielder light and i don't think we can expect Fabregas to play through the whole season as first choice. Plus is Gilberto gets injured we lose a physical prescence in midfield that i don't think Flamini can give us.

Not saying that, but i think we are a central midfielder light and i don't think we can expect Fabregas to play through the whole season as first choice. Plus is Gilberto gets injured we lose a physical prescence in midfield that i don't think Flamini can give us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely that's why we signed Alexandre Song?

Having said that though, seeing as he's only on loan perhaps he's merely a stop-gap to make way for a signing in january.

he's not a better player than cesc or gilberto. he's a different type of player. maybe the type we need in vieira's absence.

wouldn't pay more than 5 million tho </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we got him cheap then sure... but I've been hearing quotes over £10m and as high as £15m which is ludicrous.

• SI Staff

Song is only 17 and i imagine we got him on loan for the season as Wnger thought that he could get a better idea of how good he is by seeing him in training everyday more than getting reports about how he played in the French 2nd division.

Archived