Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn Michaels:

Ralphie played the whole of his first season at the club in central midfield - he was signed as a CM to replace Petit - it was only when Dixon needed replacing that Wenger started thinking seriously about him at right back - tbh I would prefer to see him in central midfield than at right back! Toure can also play there comfortably!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He played mostly on the right of midfield in his first season matey. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've just checked out the team line-ups for his first season and he definitely played in the centre a lot - at least 15 times - Parlour played on the right in most of the games!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

i think its about time arsenal had a more attacking player in the centre but don't ask me who. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well seeing as we struggle against teams who outnumber use in midfield, taking away a stronger central midfielder battler and replacing them with a pires type play might not be the best idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

i think its about time arsenal had a more attacking player in the centre but don't ask me who. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well seeing as we struggle against teams who outnumber use in midfield, taking away a stronger central midfielder battler and replacing them with a pires type play might not be the best idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true although a player like in the mold of someone like gerrard who can do both well would be good but thats asking alot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

if Alan Smith can be converted Kolo sure as hell can icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any player can be converted. Whether they would be any good is a different matter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not Cranker, your fancy wordplay is wasted on me.

If they're no good, it's not converting them, it's just playing them out of position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, your fancy quoting is wasted on me, so we'll call it even icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goddard:

Arsenal are so blatently going to win the league this season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn Michaels:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Have you ceased this silly Pires in the middle thing now ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wenger seems to like it! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's a silly man and it'll end in tears icon15.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Whatever happened to Kevin Hofland as well ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Injuries and was never as good as CM made him out to be icon_biggrin.gif

Is at Wolfburg now.

report about young Turkish lad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

been posted already and i had reservationws </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see why?

That sort of fee is standard for the most talented youngsters, and it's usually at least partly tied to appearances and progression. And clubs usually have a seperate budget for signing youth players, so it wouldn't affect signing anyone else. He's also obviously a youth player, so it wouldn't take up a first team squad place.

What exactly would your reservations have been?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

Whatever happened to Kevin Hofland as well ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Injuries and was never as good as CM made him out to be icon_biggrin.gif

Is at Wolfburg now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wolfsburg, eh ? Was good "in real life" as well before injuries

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I don't see why?

That sort of fee is standard for the most talented youngsters, and it's usually at least partly tied to appearances and progression. And clubs usually have a seperate budget for signing youth players, so it wouldn't affect signing anyone else. He's also obviously a youth player, so it wouldn't take up a first team squad place.

What exactly would your reservations have been? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That he isnt a world class replacement for Vieira.

I don't see why?

at this time when we need first team players we are looking at youth players.

that was my first reaction but now i can see why

Now it looks like Essien is staying at Lyon for the time being, there is a good chance that we could get Diarra. Xavier Rivoire said that Lyon would be willing to talk to Arsenal about Diarra as long as Essien stayed, and that they didnt want to sell to Chelsea as they see them as mercenaries!

I don't see why?

at this time when we need first team players we are looking at youth players.

that was my first reaction but now i can see why </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long term though is good ... kinda aside from your current plans

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Robert Pires has revealed he is seriously considering quitting Arsenal after receiving an offer from Turkish giants Galatasaray.

Pires, 31, has one-year left on his current Highbury deal but has turned his back on a 12-month extension offered by the Gunners.

“I have received an offer from the President of Galatasaray,†said Pires.

“It’s very tempting and I’m going to have to give it some study. It’s a three-year deal and I’m not about to close the door on any possibility.

“I’ve got until August 31 to think about it. But I’m taking this offer very seriously.â€

Pires also revealed Arsenal have shelved any further negotiations with the former Metz winger.

“I’ve already met with the directors and Arsène Wenger and we won’t have any more contract talks until January,†he said.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Springbok256:

How old is Diarra? Also is he basically just a midfielder in the mould of paddy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

23, I think. Nope. More defensive than box to box for me, but he'd be a very good siginng. Not coming though.

Have you ceased this silly Pires in the middle thing now ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wenger seems to like it! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's a silly man and it'll end in tears icon15.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pires seems to play every pre-season in central midfield. I wouldn't read too much into it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Henry confident on new contract

Thierry Henry's career statistics

Arsenal captain Thierry Henry has played down speculation concerning his future at Arsenal.

The 27-year-old's contract expires in two years, however he believes it is only a matter of time before he signs an extension with the Gunners.

"The talks are on and I hope we can find an agreement," said the Frenchman.

"At the moment I'm really happy here. Things are going well for me. I have just been named skipper and as long as they want me here I'll stay here."

Henry arrived at Highbury in August 1999 and has become a talismanic figure at the club.

He needs just five more goals to pass Ian Wright's club record tally of 185 and has been given the captaincy in the wake of Patrick Vieira's summer departure to Juventus.

"I've seen so many things written in the past two days, and all the time people question my desire and commitment for the club," Henry said.

"But when I step on the pitch I always try to do my best.

There is money in the game, but the game is more important

Thierry Henry

"I do something that I love. Even if I wasn't with Arsenal and I was in the back garden with my friend I would be the same way.

"Still trying some stuff, still arguing the same way and still being happy or unhappy because I won or because I lost."

And in an era when many footballers seem intent on negotiating huge salaries, Henry insisted money was not his motivation in staying at Highbury.

"Obviously there is stuff that has to be dealt with," he added.

"But the only thing I'm demanding is to play and try and lead the team to silverware.

"I didn't come into football to win money. When I saw I could do something with my feet I wanted to make sure people would remember the player that I was - that's all.

"There is money in the game, but the game is more important."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cole saying good things for a change icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Cole in pledge to win over fans

Ashley Cole is ready to prove his commitment to Arsenal fans, starting in the Community Shield against Chelsea.

The England full-back signed a new deal with the Gunners after being at the centre of a "tapping-up" saga last season - ironically involving Chelsea.

"I'm happy to be here to try and win the fans over again," Cole said.

"I'm glad it's over now and I can focus on playing for Arsenal and do what every player wants to do, especially me, and that's winning things here."

Cole was found guilty at a Premier League inquiry of attending a meeting with Chelsea without Arsenal's consent in January last season.

But after fearing he was being forced out of Highbury he extended his present contract by one year to run until 2008.

"I was in a no-win situation. If I'd left I would have got hammered and now I've signed I hear some people saying he's just signing for the money - which is not the case.

"I've signed because I want to play for Arsenal.

"There were a lot of ingredients that made me want to stay and extend my contract and now I've done it hopefully people will believe that I wanted to sign."

And with his future set Cole is targeting more silverware in Arsenal colours, starting with the Community Shield.

"Regardless of whether I was playing Chelsea, Man U or Tottenham I'd be playing 100% and show the fans I'm 100% committed," he added.

"It's always nice to win and to win against Chelsea would be a big thing for the club.

"There's always an incentive when you see them buying all these players and it's a boost if we can beat them because then we can beat anyone.

"It will give the players a lot of confidence going into the season." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the Beeb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm really happy here. Things are going well for me. I have just been named skipper and as long as they want me here I'll stay here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love you too Tel.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Wenger's love for Owen not enough

Arsene Wenger has insisted that he will not make a bid for Michael Owen because he doesn't believe the England striker would dovetail with Thierry Henry.

Owen is believed to be searching for a return to the Premiership after being reduced to fifth-choice striker at Real Madrid.

However, despite being in 'love' with the player, Wenger has ruled out making a bid for Owen.

"I have nothing against Michael Owen. I love him," the Arsenal boss declared.

The stumbling block, though, is the perceived incompatibility of the Owen-Henry partnership.

"We have Thierry Henry who scores 25 goals a season and can they live together? I don't know. Thierry is not yet the age to play a little bit deeper. I like Owen but I look more for a deeper kind of striker. I have Dennis Bergkamp but he is getting older."

Without the guarantee of first-team football, Wenger claimed it would 'dishonest' to bring Owen to Highbury.

"It would be dishonest to take an international player like him and put him in the same situation he has at Real Madrid," said the Frenchman.

Wenger also denied making a bid for Newcastle's unsettled midfielder Jermaine Jenas, but did concede, "I am a fan of Jenas." A bid for the England midfielder could be imminent.

Nevertheless, Wenger says he is not looking for a replacement for Patrick Vieira, describing the former Arsenal skipper as 'irreplaceable'.

"We will miss Patrick in our team when we have the ball because he was always there to take the ball," he said. "When he had three players on his right shoulder and two on his left, he wasn't scared. But if Juventus came and bought Patrick Vieira at 29 years of age, and they have scouts everywhere in the world like we have, that shows you can't get another Patrick Vieira."

Another Viera, Uruguay goalkeeper Sebastian, is expected to join Arsenal, though. Personal terms are said to have been finalised on Thursday and the player could be unveiled as early as Friday afternoon.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A fan of Jenas, who is apparently going to request a transfer. Hmmmmmmmm.

So, team against Chelsea?

I'm of the feeling that we basically have to play Flamini if, as it seems likely, Gilberto isn't back yet. Don't know about the other CM position though.

Henry

Bergkamp

Hleb

Reyes Ljungberg

Flamini

Cole Senderos Toure Lauren

Lehmann

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking that Wenger wont want to put Fabregas or Van Persie straight into the starting line up after a shorter pre-season,

I'm thinking (optimistically) that by Christmas we'll have Van Persie established ahead of Bergkamp, and Wenger having CM headaches, but good ones, in the sense that they're all performing well.

I'm also really beginning to like the stuff about us being written off. Takes a load of pressure off, and that's definitely when we do the most damage.

yeah, but Pires CM just doesn't do anything for us.

If he's on form, then yeah I think he'd have a shot, but at the moment he's not.

His best quality was just owning full backs by making them think he was just slow and runs funny, and then completely dicking them and scoring tons of goals. He doesn't have enough space in the middle to dictate anything. Not to mention that he doesn't usually react positively to physical contact. Makalele will eat him tbh... icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

I reckon something like:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Lehmann

Cole Toure Senderos Lauren

Reyes Pires Flamini Ljungberg

Bergkamp

Henry

</pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not too sure about Ralphie at left back! icon_biggrin.gif

Archived