Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

And this from Arsenal.com;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The deal to bring Julio Baptista to Highbury has developed into a �confusing situation�, according to Ars�ne Wenger, because of an ongoing passport issue.

The Arsenal manager is confident a deal can be struck with Sevilla. The issue lies with persuading the Brazilian midfielder to move given that he could qualify for a Spanish passport if he stays in the country for another season.

�It is 50:50 still at the moment,� admitted Wenger last night. �We have no big problem with the club. But the player has not quite made up his mind because of many, many problems.

�One of the main ones is the passport. When they stay in Spain they can get a passport. If he is still in Spain he can complete the three years [needed]. It is a very confusing situation.�

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still no 'news' as such. There must be more to it if there are "many, many problems".

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

Wouldn't be too keen on that happening, Davids would have been a much better option than him imho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

yeah davids would demand to be played in the team all the time though when we'd prefer someone to be content with filling in for Gilberto. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, i think it's something Sperz are offering what with the World Cup coming up and all that.

Also, not sure how long a contract he'll be after ... 4 years from Sperz (?) i would not think Arsenal would offer anything that long ... perhaps 2 years, 3 absolute tops

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

yeah davids would demand to be played in the team all the time though when we'd prefer someone to be content with filling in for Gilberto. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, i think it's something Sperz are offering what with the World Cup coming up and all that.

Also, not sure how long a contract he'll be after ... 4 years from Sperz (?) i would not think Arsenal would offer anything that long ... perhaps 2 years, 3 absolute tops </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a policy of only offering 1 year contracts to over 30 year olds which is the problem with the Pires negotiations.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by They call me Henry:

great we're relying Freddie who is past his best, Reyes who will start making moon eyes at Madrid as soon as the clocks go back, Pires who is in the same boat as Freddie and Bergkamp who is going on a season too long?

and this is the 3rd summer since Seaman left, we're starting to move into farcial waters if we can't find a keeper in that time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude what is it with all this negativity?!

I very much disagree, Freddie isn't past his best, no way. He has been excellent on many occasions last season.

10 premiership goals in 26 games isn't exactly the worst of stats for a winger.

And while i will not argue Le Bob isn't really the player that we once knew, his contribution to the team however was more than pleasing with 14 premiership goals, (3rd PL top goalscorer this year).

Not to mention the assists as well as the experience and stability he brings to the team which musn't be undermined.

As for Reyes, well he has been walking along the right path, to me.

He's just signed a new long term contract, which unlike many people, i think very much counts for something.

Other than that he's been saying the right stuff lately, getting behind his manager and backing his decisions...

And i believe he's now settled more than ever which is all the difference with last year.

It was always going to be difficult to replace a keeper like Seaman. He was a great icon for the club and i don't really expect a proper replacement any time soon. But certainly doesn't mean we'll forever be doomed to a rubbish defensive record.

Two words, three cylables: Keep Thefaith icon14.gificon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've always thought that Pires goes missing in the big games and its got progressively worse , he was awful in the cup final but i guess most of the team were.

I think Reyes is the only person who can come close to filling the void if Henry is out , but thats assuming hes playing well which is no guarantee.

With the team we have at the moment i think we'll get beaten by Utd and Chelsea. I've never gone into a season feeling so pessimistic.

I just think if things stay as they are we are showing a total lack of ambition. If there are no players on the market we shouldn't have let Paddy go for a measley 13 mill , i'd rather lose him for free in 2 seasons, Edu shouldn't even have been let to get away either , especially as he seemed keen to stay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Also, not sure how long a contract he'll be after ... 4 years from Sperz (?) i would not think Arsenal would offer anything that long ... perhaps 2 years, 3 absolute tops </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a policy of only offering 1 year contracts to over 30 year olds which is the problem with the Pires negotiations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, yeah - forgot about that.

I think it's a sensible thing to do but should be bent in some cases, not saying for someone lie Davids but perhaps for Pires icon_smile.gif

I totally disagree with there on Pires. I think he IS a big game player. Several times he's found the net in big games and been only goal scorer as well.

Not sure if his lingering injury is 100% gone - good enough reason for no extension i guess

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Pires delays contract decision

Robert Pires will wait until January before deciding on his Arsenal future after reaching deadlock in contract talks at Highbury.

Pires has been linked with moves to Juventus and Galatasaray after failing to agree fresh terms with the Gunners. The 32-year-old French winger, who is scheduled to leave Arsenal next summer, has been offered a one-year extension to his contract but he wants a further 12 months.

"We'll talk again in January. There is nothing new about my contract situation and things are not going to change now," he told the Evening Standard.

"I'm going to play through the last year of my contract and I will meet with manager Arsene Wenger early in the New Year.

"That will be the source of motivation for me in the months before then. I'm going to be in the same position as Dennis Bergkamp has been in for some years."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Motivation icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

Motivation icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch out Vieira doesn't send him an sms to do an edu

This Baptista business about the Spanish Passport. Could we not buy the player, but loan him out straight away to a Spanish team so he can get this passport as he will have lived/worked in that country for 3 years. Or is this not possible?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A-Team:

Yeah. We've almost got through an entire team in the last 3 seasons alone really.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we assess that team though and why some of those players left:

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reasons the players left are beside the point. My point is that we've lost a lot of experienced players and relied mainly on youngsters to replace them.

Even if the youngsters are technically as good or even better than the departing players the loss of experience can still have a negative effect overall in terms of team spirit, squad morale etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsene Wenger has praised Dutch striker Robin van Persie for the way he has responded to accusations of rape, whilst revealing that the former Feyenoord man would not be featuring in the Amsterdam tournament.

The forward is awaiting the results of an ongoing investigation in Holland after an alleged incident took place in Rotterdam on June 13.

After spending two weeks in jail van Persie's preparations for the upcoming campaign have been severly curtailed, and Wenger has chosen not to field him in the friendly tournament hosted by Ajax.

However, The Gunners boss reiterated his faith in his young charge to become a great player, and praised van Persie for showing reserves of strength during a difficult period in his life.

"I've given him extra holiday after what happened in Holland, at the moment he is a little bit behind fitness wise and not completely ready to start a match," said Wenger.

"On the other hand I felt that maybe the trauma he has got here was so big that it was not the best at the moment to come over here and he will play his first game in Beveren.

"I didn't want to put any psychological pressure on him at the moment and keep him out and prepare quietly because I feel that's what he needs at the moment.

"He has my full support and I believe he will be a great, great player and we want him to prepare in the right way at the moment.

"It is a great stress, I have seen people go for three days to jail and very experienced, and come out destroyed, and I feel the fact that they way he deals with the situation is quite good, shows a lot of strengths, a lot of humility and a lot of desire to do well.

"So on what I have seen it was a big trauma for him but he is slowly recovering now."

Wenger also reasserted his admiration of Robert Pires and indicated that talks may be brought forward in a bid to secure the future of the former Marseille man.

The French star has not been offered any more than a one year extension to his current deal, in line with club policy, and reports had linked the 31-year-old with a move to Galatasaray and Juventus.

Pires has revealed that talks have been postponed until January, although Wenger moved to again reiterate his faith in the flying winger despite his encroaching age.

"I feel that football is linked with age and you have to accept that at some level you cannot give longer contracts when the players get to 31, 32," Wenger continued.

"We have a policy to go from year to year after 32 and we did that for example with Dennis Bergkamp, who is now 36, but from 32 years onwards he has always signed for one more year because you have to show that you can still perform at that level.

"I think Robert understands that perfectly, we might sit together before because he is a fantastic player but at the moment we have not done it."

Progress is also slow as Wenger looks to supplement his squad following the departure of Patrick Vieira to The Bianconeri, and the Gunners boss revealed that no further progress has been made in his pursuit of Sevilla's Julio Baptista.

The midfielder-cum-striker is keen to secure a Spanish passport and remain in La Liga for another year, whilst Arsenal are desperate to have his services at Highbury in time for the coming campaign.

Wenger insisted that talks were still hung firmly in the balance, whilst admitting that he would not be able to find a direct replacement for his departed skipper.

"It (the Baptista deal) is still the same on Thursday, it has not moved at all, not on one side not on the other.

"You can interpret that as you want but at the moment I cannot tell you more because it has not moved at all.

"I cannot replace Patrick Vieira because everybody expects me to buy another Patrick Vieira, but if another Patrick Vieira did exist then Juventus would not have come to Arsenal to buy the player.

"We have to find a different system to play and not expect that we will find another Patrick Vieira.

"I feel that the team has to regroup, we lost a giant, magnificent player but it has had a negative influence of course because the team feels less strong psychologically.

"But on the other hand it can wake everybody up and try and do more to compensate for the fact that he has gone."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

also

who the hell plays the Gilberto role when he's not in the side?

We've actually got loads of options mate - Flamini can do it, Ralphie can do it, Kolo can do it, this Song kid can do it

who scores the goals when henry is out of the side?

Ljungberg & Pires will both get 12+ goals each, Reyes should be getting 15+, RVP should notch 10, Hleb & Fabregas should contribute 5+, plus there is Dennis, Bentley etc who can all pop up with a goal if needed.

when are we going to get a goalkeeper who will hold down the place for the next half dozen seasons? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my main concern, but if you analyse it - Wenger clearly feels there is no-one out there who is better than Lehman at the present moment - which if you look at Lehman's form in the last 10+ games of last season is probably accurate. We experienced a very unusual situation in football where we had a continuous Goalkeepr for 10 years or so - this rarely happens nowadays so it is always going to be tough. I also think that Wenger quite fancies this Mark Howard kid to become quite a player in the next 18 months!

look we had the perfect players to play that system over the last few seasons when we could have gone Vieira-Gilberto-Edu in the middle, doesn't make sense to switch to that system now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly, but I've never heard Wenger talk about a change of system before, and perhaps he thinks we need to freshen things up to try to match Chelsea and do better in Europe?

I don't really know what my ideal formation would be:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Henry Van Persie

Hleb/Cesc/Pires

Reyes Ljungberg

Gilberto

Cole Senderos Campbell Eboue/Toure/Lauren

Lehmann </pre>

When playing the normal system.

I wouldn't mind seeing us playing something like this for away European games:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Henry

any 2 of Hleb/Van Persie/Ljungberg/Pires/Cesc/Reyes/Bergkamp/Quincy as Attacking midfielders.

Gilberto Flamini

Cole Ebeoue/Ralph

Senderos Campbell Toure

Lehmann </pre>

The idea being that Henry is going to be man marked by a top quality centre back (ie Lucio), which would hopefully pull the CB out of the middle and leave them exposed to raids from the midfield.

Looking at that though, you do realise just how much attacking quality we do have. And more than that, they're all really flexible positionally, which gives Wenger a stupid amount of options to play with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn Michaels:

I've always thought a 3 at the back would work well in away games especially with Ralphie & Coley as wingbacks - BUT I can't ever see Mr Wenger doing that tbh! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We played 3-5-2 when he first took over, albeit inherited from Rioch.

Keown, Adams, Bould, Dixon Winterburn.

That my friends was a defence.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollie C:

Yellow \o/

But why the black trim and shorts and not blue? icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I imagine because it would look much like our last yellow kit icon_frown.gif

Archived