Diamond Back Four

I am currently developing a tactic with a diamond back four (sweeper, 2 x centre backs, anchorman). The problem I have is the rest of the field. Currently I went with a ball winning midfielder (support), deep lying playmakker (support) defensive winger in AMR, normal winger in AML, treq and a poacher. For some reason this doesn't look 'right'. I thought about pushing the MC's into AMC positions and dragging the AMR/AML into MR/ML positions but the four forward looked bad too.

This is experimental. I am starting with Inter but plan on using this tactic with AS Roma, Tottenham, Everton and maybe Preston to see how universal a defensive diamond can be.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

-------SW

---CB------CB

-------DM

ML-CM---CM--MR

-------AM

-------ST

I think that is the formation to go with.

I would say role wise:

CMr ball winner defend

CMl advanced playmaker attack

MR winger support

ML wide midfielder support

AM attacking midfielder attack

ST complete forward or deep lying forward support.

Well mainly because I forgot you could have a defensive winger at ML. I would put one there then but the closing down of the wingers must be low so they aren't drawn out of position or high so they press high up he pitch. Decide which you would prefer but i think something in the middle would mean dropping off then closing down by which time the player can pass inside and make a run past the winger.

Well mainly because I forgot you could have a defensive winger at ML. I would put one there then but the closing down of the wingers must be low so they aren't drawn out of position or high so they press high up he pitch. Decide which you would prefer but i think something in the middle would mean dropping off then closing down by which time the player can pass inside and make a run past the winger.
with this ME theres no point to worry about them being to high up (rahter the oposit), players on ML/MR will still roughly act as wide defenders no mather the setings, if thers no players behind them (this bit make it close to impossible to properly implement 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 formations, since the wide players dont do what they are suposed to, but rather make it a flat back 5)

So Falahk, what you are saying is it doesn't matter where wide players are on the field, if there is no-one behind them they will automatically become more defensively minded?
if they play on MR/ML, then yes

this is the most recent topic to cover and explain the mentioned problem well:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/238246-The-3-4-1-2-A-Tactical-Challenge!

Archived