Does 'moves into channels' have any defensive advantages?

Now I know the point of 'moves into channels' is to get players looking for space.

Now my question is would there be any benefit defensively?

For example would it work in a way that it would get your defensive-minded players to move into space before it can be exploited by opposition players?

I also know that some people tried to uses 'move into channels' to pull their centerbacks wide and cover the wings and thats part of what I've been wondering.

Uh, no. Every time I've heard this PPM described it's been talking about Strikers moving in the areas between the defenders in expectation of through-balls, never about defenders trying to do the same. I mean, why would they move to an empty area not occupied by the attackers? That would just open up gaps where they originally were. The defensive abilty you're looking for is most likely a combination of Man Marking, Anticipation, Positioning and Concentration.

Uh, no. Every time I've heard this PPM described it's been talking about Strikers moving in the areas between the defenders in expectation of through-balls, never about defenders trying to do the same. I mean, why would they move to an empty area not occupied by the attackers? That would just open up gaps where they originally were. The defensive abilty you're looking for is most likely a combination of Man Marking, Anticipation, Positioning and Concentration.

I'm not talking about the PPM. I was talking about the Wide Play instruction.

I'm not talking about the PPM. I was talking about the Wide Play instruction.

I think there was a discussion on here where someone tried to get his CBs to play wide by telling them to "hug the touchline".

The result of this discussion was that it only seamed to apply to offensive play so I guess the same applies to "move into channels" as well.

I play a 4-3-3 with 2 defensive forwards, doing a 'Kuyt-like' job, but I don't ask them to move into channels defensively. If the oppo fullbacks are getting forward, I'll go wider so that the defensive forwards can track them; otherwise, I prefer to play narrow so my guys can pass to each other.

Pretty sure these instructions only apply with the ball, which is a shame. I think a way to adjust the width of specific players without the ball would be great. I wish you could put 'hugs touchline' on the outer of three MCs or AMCs and have them play as wide as the instructions suggests, too....

Pretty sure these instructions only apply with the ball, which is a shame. I think a way to adjust the width of specific players without the ball would be great. I wish you could put 'hugs touchline' on the outer of three MCs or AMCs and have them play as wide as the instructions suggests, too....

Actually it has to do with more of how players move without the ball. For instance your striker, instead of just standing in front a CB, will move and try to receive the ball in the space between the CB and FB. It gets them moving and looking for space and thats why it works great with the trequartista. Of course it wouldn't be recommended for, lets say, a target man.

Archived