A few doubts regarding tactics

Hi,

I've been playing FM for a while now (since it was CM actually) and I understand most of the game and tactic mechanics, but I still have a few doubts in certain aspects and would like to hear the opinion of other FM addicts such as myself.

1. Width: How do you determin which is the best width to play your team? Wide or narrow, how do you determin this?
  2. Passing style: What style of passing do you choose for your team? What's the difference between short passing and the default one and when should you choose one or the other?
  3. Tempo: Slow or fast? Which one fits better for which squads? Is fast tempo better for strong sides or if you want to play a possession football you need to choose slow tempo?
  4. Philosophy: When to choose fluid or very fluid? What sort of squads go better with a fluid game philosophy?

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to share their opinion on this.

I tend to follow my assman's pre-game and in-game advice. I'll demonstrate:

Hi,

I've been playing FM for a while now (since it was CM actually) and I understand most of the game and tactic mechanics, but I still have a few doubts in certain aspects and would like to hear the opinion of other FM addicts such as myself.

1. Width: How do you determin which is the best width to play your team? Wide or narrow, how do you determin this?
    My team's passing is better - go wider. They're missing too many easy passes - go narrower.
  2. Passing style: What style of passing do you choose for your team? What's the difference between short passing and the default one and when should you choose one or the other?

He'll advise if I should go longer or shorter. Also if it's too wet go direct, and too windy go short.
  3. Tempo: Slow or fast? Which one fits better for which squads? Is fast tempo better for strong sides or if you want to play a possession football you need to choose slow tempo?

Generally yes, but the likes of Barce and Arsenal can play high-tempo tippy-tappy. I have lower-league part-timers and have to conserve their energies, so I go high in bursts.
  4. Philosophy: When to choose fluid or very fluid? What sort of squads go better with a fluid game philosophy?

I'd say a squad with players with outstanding mental attributes - it's like creative freedom and roaming for me. Again, at the level I'm managing at it's a case of K.I.S.S.
    On a good day, Chelsea can be very fluid; under Mancini, Man Citeh never are.

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to share their opinion on this.

That's my tuppence worth, anyway.

Archived