20+ shots, 10+ on target, 6 CCC's, 60% Possession... Where am I going wrong?!

Well, title pretty much says it all, these are the stats my team is managing to pull off every game week in week out yet I'm still struggling to break a 0-0 deadlock? Or I'm only just scraping a win in the dieing minutes. My strikers are great for my team and Matthias Verschave is currently top in the MoM awards and is the leading scorer in the league yet I still can't manage to convert all my chances?

I play a 4-4-2 wide diamond with 2 Advanced forwards and an trequartista/advanced playmaker.

I'm not bothered with scraping wins, it's the fact that we're clearly dominating but we can't convert our chances.

EDIT: Btw, I'm playing as Plymouth Argyle in league 1

Help?!

Thanks,

Matt

Try to play a little bit with the time wasting / tempo sliders.

More time wasting / less tempo usually means less chances but better building.

---------------------------

You should give us some infos, like in what situations you're missing chances ? Long shots, one on ones ?

Or post your tactic / a revealent ppm so we can help you further

And remember how frustrating was fm10 at the beggining. It went way better after the patchs release. Perhaps it's something like that too ^^

(didn't test FM11 that much tbh)

No striker can convert all their chances.

Yeah sorry that was my bad, but surely they must be converting more than what they are now?

These are my two main strikers, wright-phillips has been out for a while injured and I am also using Andras Simon as a backup or Steve MacLean

Matthias Verschave:

verschave.jpg

Bradley Wright-Phillips:

wrightphillips.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've noticed from the match highlights is that although all my player instructions on long shots are set to rarely (Apart from AMC which is sometimes) which I think may be caused by my strikers not creating enough forward runs into the opponents area? Not to mention that if they do have men behind the ball it can be difficult to play a passing game through the defence but how would I be able to combat that?

This is the 4-4-2 diamond that I use:

tacticj.jpg

I've never really been one for creating my own tactics so I can't complain at the results I've had so far (Although I've been switching with Mr Hough's 10.3 4-1-3-2 to see how that might work in 11)

I'll have a play around with the tempo and time wasting sliders and swap them to see if that brings up any better results, thanks guys!

Matt

I'll tell you the first thing where you're going wrong. You are wrong in thinking that stats favorable to your team equates to winning matches, or even winning them convincingly instead of scraping by. That's one of the biggest misconceptions players have on these forums. For example, having large chunks of possession doesn't mean you'll win the game at all. Same as with having more shots on goal than the opposition, it absolutely does not guarantee any wins. Stats simply show you what occurred in a match, not the final outcome.

There are many variables at play that can determine whether how your team does in matches. For example, it's possible that your players are simply off form, or perhaps squad harmony is not the best, maybe the team is not gelled well either. Perhaps you're playing too conservatively for the type of team you are. I see you're playing with Plymouth. Aren't they one of the favorites to get promotion back to Championship, considering they were just there last season? You most likely have a squad that's better than the vast majority of League 1. It might be worthwhile trying to play in a more expansive style with more creative freedom given to your players. Maybe play with less rigid philosophy as well.

There's just things you have to consider in order to get as close as possible to the kind of desired results you're looking for. If you don't really care as much, then you can go that route as well and simply pick the best players you think are at your club and play them as much as possible without much tweaking in tactics or team talks or anything else. Many players play this way and get great results also, but it usually takes more time.

Ok thanks for the tips Divine & Dirty.

I'll have a look through the match anaylsis' and see what I can do to change it.

I understand your point dirty but something must be going wrong somewhere for it to happen week in week out? I'll adopt a more fluid and expressive tactic and see what comes of it.

Thinking about it, it all seems prettyh obvious what you've told me so I'll be sure to give it a proper run through before I post on here. Thanks for the tips though, really, I'll give them a go and see if it helps in anyway. Also I've just received some extra money from a late transfer with the board so I'll look into bringing in some new talent that fits the positions sufficiently.

Thanks guys,

Matt

Wow, well a quick update here, took in your advice and tweaked my tactic appropriately. Changed the Philosophy to Rigid and then the Creative Freedom back to default with immediate results. Hammered Barnsley 6-2 away with much better ratings for my players and 4 CCC's to their 0. I'll give it a go for 10 more games and see how it fairs out and I'll post my results later.

Thanks again guys, your advice has really helped so far!

Matt

Glad I could help.

I think you made some good decisions and changes. Being more adventurous will play to your advantage since you're one of the better teams in League One. Many teams will be naturally cautious against you, especially when you play at home. This will help you break down those teams, plus, due to you having overall better players, you'd want to use them to their max potential by letting them have more freedom to make decisions and be creative. It can be detrimental trying to shackle down a team that is clearly superior to almost everyone else in the league.

Overall though, try looking at things more from a logical/common sense perspective. Realize what type of team you're managing, what are the expectations, what is the media's prediction. Decide your best eleven and put them into the formation that fits them the most, however, there might be more than one formation that fits if you have versatile players. Play to your squad's strengths.

Archived