Mountains, lochs, moors...back to The Highlands (The Lisbon Lions Challenge)

glamdring

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Sunday May 18th 2008

McGlynn header sinks Celtic as County retain SPL title

Hamish Brodie reports:

On a tense final day of the season for Ross County, it was a first half header from Mark McGlynn from a Steven McGarry freekick that proved decisive in this season's title race. Celtic players surrounded the referee claiming offside, but the goal stood and despite further chances for both sides, neither could make another breakthrough.

Fans of Ross County were delighted as the final whistle blew, leaving Ross County 5 points clear of Celtic, rendering Celtic's delayed final match of the season away to Dunfirmline in 9 days time as irrelevent. A draw today would have meant a tense wait due to Celtic's progress to the finals of both the FA Cup and UEFA Cup causing their league match to be delayed. Many fans were outraged at the decision to delay Celtic's final match until after the official end of the league season rather than fitting it in earlier so a positive result today for either side was what neutral fans wanted to see the title decided now.

Rangers' 2-1 win over Dunfirmline saw them secure 3rd place ahead of Livingston.

FT: Ross County 1-0 Celtic (5959 Attendance)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Holders - Ross County

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | Ross County | | 38 | 21 | 8 | 9 | 82 | 45 | +37 | 71 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Celtic | | 37 | 19 | 9 | 9 | 66 | 43 | +23 | 66 |

| 3rd | | Rangers | | 38 | 18 | 11 | 9 | 70 | 47 | +23 | 65 |

| 4th | | Livingston | | 38 | 19 | 6 | 13 | 47 | 36 | +11 | 63 |

| 5th | | Dunfermline | | 37 | 13 | 9 | 15 | 49 | 54 | -5 | 48 |

| 6th | | Dundee Utd | | 38 | 13 | 8 | 17 | 47 | 64 | -17 | 47 |

| 7th | | Hibs | | 38 | 12 | 12 | 14 | 54 | 60 | -6 | 48 |

| 8th | | Aberdeen | | 38 | 12 | 11 | 15 | 59 | 56 | +3 | 47 |

| 9th | | Kilmarnock | | 38 | 11 | 14 | 13 | 48 | 57 | -9 | 47 |

| 10th | | Motherwell | | 38 | 11 | 11 | 16 | 48 | 64 | -16 | 44 |

| 11th | | Hearts | | 38 | 11 | 9 | 18 | 48 | 70 | -22 | 42 |

| 12th | R | St. Johnstone | | 38 | 11 | 4 | 23 | 50 | 72 | -22 | 37 |

</pre>

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interview from the Dingwall Times on Wednesday August 27th 2008

Ross County manager Adam Eckersley speaks exclusively to Hamish Brodie

Hamish: Well, there's a lot to discuss since we last spoke officially!

Adam: Mebee!

Hamish: I have to start by getting the rumours about England sorted out. Is it true that you were offered the England job this summer, but turned it down?

Adam: Well, since it has been widely reported with rumours flying around, yes I was offered the England job after Sam Allardyce was sacked, and yes I did reject the offer.

Hamish: Do you mind if I ask your reasons?

Adam: You can ask what you like Hamish! Whether I'll answer or not is another matter icon_smile.gif

Hamish: So you don't wish to tell us?

Adam: I just had to make a choice, whether I wanted the job or not and I decided I didn't. I am happy at Ross County and being up here in Dingwall is hardly ideal for managing England. I may be English by birth, but for the foreseeable future I'm staying in Scotland.

Hamish: You'll no doubt be aware that the press are speculating that you rejected the offer because you want the Scotland job.

Adam: I don't believe everything I read in the press Hamish! Half the population of Scotland probably want the Scotland job, but Roy Aitken is the manager at the moment and we are all hoping he can take us to the 2010 World Cup.

Hamish: Back to Ross County then. Are you excited by the prospects for the club with the North Stand being expanded and the new youth academy opening this summer?

Adam: Most definitely. Our Ground is very small, but there are limits to how big it can feasibly grow to anyway because we have a small population base to draw our fans from. I am delighted by the expansion though and hope we will increase our attendances. The youth academy excites me hugely. As you know I've always been enthusiastic to bring the local talent through into the squad and this will really help us.

Hamish: You made 3 new signings over the Summer. Some people were surprised you signed 2 strikers, but no defenders. Do you feel you have the right balance of the squad now?

Adam: Well Hamish, I didn't feel the need to buy any defenders because we have some exciting prospects coming through the youth ranks and I didn't see anyone worth buying who is better than those. Daniel Freeman from Norwich will give us extra goalkeeping cover where we were a little lacking last season. Stephen Dobbie was available on a Bosman from Hibernian and I felt he was worth signing despite his poor goalscoring record at Hibs. He is an excellent target man and can put shots away from distance and in the box so I think he can add options to our forward line.

Hamish: And Keigan Parker? The club's record signing - I imagine you'll be expecting a lot from him?

Adam: I don't want Keigan to feel too much pressure because of his price tag. It's true he is our record signing, but that has a lot to do with our financial position being a lot stronger now also. We paid £700,000 for Mark McColl 2 years ago, but he hasn't managed to fulfill his promise as yet. Keigan cost us £700,000 upfront with another £1.3 million due in installments over the next 24 months and a further £500,000 when he scores 50 goals. It's a lot of money of course, but spread over a period of time when I would hope us to be in the Champions League for the foreseeable future so it isn't a major financial gamble - it's just a question of whether the lad can settle in a score the goals for us, but I beleive he can.

Hamish: You've also managed to keep hold of your other star players still - does that please you as much as the new signings?

Adam: Of course, we are delighted that Mark McGlynn signed a new contract. It looked very much as though he would leave us in the Summer, but Andy (Goram) spoke to him and managed to persuade him that at 18 he can gain a great deal from staying at Ross County for a few years at least before moving on. Most of our other players are also on contracts for at least the next 2 years now also.

Hamish: Finally, what are your thoughts on the season so far and on the Champions League draw?

Adam: It's been a bit of a mixed start to the season so far. It was a tough fixture list with Dundee United away to start and then back to back matches with the Old Firm. I was delighted with the win at Utd, but really frustrated at our conceding a late goal to lose at home to Rangers - we have always been strong at home so that was gutting. We maybe could have won at Celtic, but they did well to come from 0-2 down and in the end 2-2 was a fair result.

As for the Champions League, it'll be tough of course. I don't know too much about Partizan Belgrade, but we have scouts over there now. Real Sociedad are a strong side, like all the Spanish entrants and of course Arsenal, the holders, are a worldclass team and if we can get anything from them it will be a huge success icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Peacemaker7 on 25 February 2004 at 20:10.]

Article from the Dingwall Times on Thursday September 11th 2008

MacSween delight at first cap

Hamish Brodie reports:

Ross County striker Ian MacSween today spoke of his delight at gaining his first international cap in Scotland's 2-0 win over Kazakhstan last night. MacSween has been in the last few Scotland sqauds, but had failed to make the bench in any previous match. In last night's match at Hampden however, MacSween not only made the bench, but came on as a 61st minute substitute for Hibernian striker Scott Brown.

MacSween today took time to thank his club manager Adam Eckersley for all his support and for bringing him to the fore in Scottish football at the SPL champions. Eckersley has been very vocal at times about the lack of recognition for his players in the national media and in the Scotland squad so will be delighted with last night's match in which Kerr Dodds also made an assured debut at centre-back. Mark McGlynn won his 7th cap, playing at right-back in a role-reversal with Dodds from their club positions. Nick James also won his 9th cap at just 19, playing this time in the midfield having played most of his previous matches for Scotland at the back where he also plays for Ross County.

Saturday 2nd November 2008

I'm too irritated to give a long account of our domestic form for now. It's not very interesting anyway and the league table says all that needs to be said! Just like last season we have somewhat floundered in defence of our title. Unlike last season however, the league isn't quite so close above us, with Rangers' defeat at Aberdeen in their last match being their first of the season to give us some hope at least. We have a point more than this time last season and are a position higher, but I'm really frustrated by our performances.

It was from this point on last season that we embarked on a brilliant run of form which saw us unbeaten into February as we moved 5 points clear at the top, but there isn't a whole lot of evidence of that happening this time despite us thumping Dundee 5-0 in our last match. Yet again we are out of the league cup - I put a full strength side out this time, but our defending was schoolboyish as we went down 4-3 at first division Raith Rovers.

We aren't actually doing too badly in the league as far as defeats goes - back to back defeats at home to Kilmarnock and away at Livingston, but the manner of our play and our recent inability to score in 0-0 draws against Motherwell and Aberdeen is infuriating. I'm still trying to find our best combination of strikers, but it's proving difficult. Having openly criticised Steven Dobbie for his form I kept faith with him and he repaid me with a few goals, but is still very inconsistent.

Our European form will be updated as the group stage comes to an end so for now I'll keep quiet on how I feel about our prospects there!

Holders - Ross County

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Rangers 11 7 3 1 21 11 +10 24

2nd Livingston 11 7 2 2 22 12 +10 23

3rd Dundee Utd 11 6 2 3 18 15 +3 20

4th Celtic 11 5 3 3 15 9 +6 18

5th Aberdeen 11 5 3 3 15 18 -3 18

6th Ross County 11 4 4 3 19 13 +6 16

7th Motherwell 11 4 3 4 17 14 +3 15

8th Kilmarnock 11 3 4 4 10 11 -1 13

9th Dunfermline 11 2 4 5 12 13 -1 10

10th Hearts 11 2 4 5 13 22 -9 10

11th Dundee 11 2 1 8 13 26 -13 7

12th Hibs 11 1 3 7 15 26 -11 6

</pre>

Champions League Review: Christmas Day, 2008

Ross County, Real Sociedad, Partizan Belgrade and Arsenal, the Champions League holders. It was going to be a tough group if we were to make it through to the knockout stages of the competition in spite of our indifferent domestic form.

A howler from Daniel Freeman in goal saw us concede early in Belgrade, but we fought back to equalise through Keigan Parker before the half-time break. Into the second half it was tight, but Partizan were clearly dominating as we sat back defending in search of a break away opportunity or settling for a draw. With 73 minutes on the clock however, Ivica Illiev was fed by Marinkovic to smash past Freeman for 2-1. If we were to get anything we would now have to attack. We tried, but were undone with 2 minutes to go as Illiev again broke through to slot home Partizan's 3rd goal. It was a bad start to the campaign for us - I felt we had to win our home games and then try to get a point either in Belgrade or away to Sociedad, with Belgrade seeming the more likely.

FT: Partizan Belgrade 3-1 Ross County

Next up, the Champions League holders Arsenal came to Victoria Park and we knew we needed to be positive and we were. With just 7 minutes gone however, Owen Hargreaves fed Aliadiere and the frenchman put the ball neatly past Freeman to give Arsenal the lead. From the kick-off, Arsenal played the ball back to their 'keeper whose kickout found the head of Nick James. James headed down to David Winters who proceeded to beat 3 Arsenal players before slotting home from the angle for the equaliser. With 25 minutes gone, O'Donoghue drove the ball forward for Ian MacSween to pick up on the left and fire in for Stephen Dobbie to tap in. We were leading the champions 2-1!! Dobbie wasn't finished yet though and with 5 minutes remaining in the first half McGlynn punted the ball upfield onto the head of Winters who headed superbly into the path of Dobbie, the striker applying a clinical finish to send us in 3-1 up at the break. We continued to pour forward in the second half and on 73 minutes, Burchill swivelled in the midfield before sending Ross O'Donoghue clear to side-step the 'keeper and put us 4-1 up. Surely now we had secured a famous win?! In the end it was a bit tighter than we'd like as Stephen Dobbie missed a glorious opportunity for a great hat-trick inbetween two late strikes from Thierry Henry. We held on in the end though and our European campaign was back on track.

FT: Ross County 4-3 Arsenal

Up next was a double header against Real Sociedad who had lost both their games so far. We really needed a point from the away fixture and approached the game positively. Sociedad, despite having some top class players were very disappointing and we comfortably held our own in a goalless first half. The second half was equally tight, but a 73rd minute goal from substitute Mark McColl gave us the lead and we had no intention of letting it slip despite late pressure from the home side.

FT: Real Sociedad 0-1 Ross County

Our win in Spain had seen us joint top of the group on 6 points with Arsenal and Partizan, Sociedad having gained 0 points from their 3 games. A home win against the Spaniards would see us needing a win against Partizan at home the following match to qualify for the 2nd round. The first half was frustrating as we probed the Sociedad defence without success, but in the second half our persistance finally paid off as Ian MacSween fired in 2 goals in the space of 7 minutes to give us a priceless 2-0 win. Sociedad had chances, but we also had more opportunities to extend our lead and in the end it was a deserved double over the pitiful Spanish team.

FT: Ross County 2-0 Real Sociedad

Wednesday 26th November 2008 was a wet day in Dingwall and was a day on which we could secure an amazing qualification for the knockout stages of the European Cup. We knew that Partizan would be a threat from our match in Belgrade and sure enough they created chances in an open match. We failed to create many chances, but Mark McGlynn curled in a glorious 25-yard shot as the ball was headed back out of the Partizan penalty area to him. It wasn't until just before the hour mark that we scored the second, O'Donoghue intercepting a sloppy pass as Partizan tried to play the ball around in their defence. The County midfielder strode forward and fired past the Partizan 'keeper to send us 2-0 up. Predrag Pavlovic pulled a goal back in injury time, but there was no denying our passage to the knockout stages. We were top of the group with just a trip to Arsenal left to decide who would top the final group table.

FT: Ross County 2-1 Partizan Belgrade

The match at Ashburton Grove was always going to be tough for us and to be honest we didn't really care what the result was so long as we weren't humiliated. We were already through and we knew that it would be a tough 2nd round match whoever we played so it was no surprise really that Arsenal comfortably beat us after our dogged defending was finally breached in the second half.

FT: Arsenal 3-0 Ross County

Ross County had qualified for the last 16 of the European Champions League - it sounded great and our stadium upgrade was completed on time to increase our capacity to 8236 ready for the visit of Newcastle United in the knockout stages. First though we must travel to St. James' Park. Arsenal being drawn against Milan with the first leg at home washed away any slight disappointments we had had about not managing to hold top place in the group.

Saturday 31st January 2009

Not a huge amount to report this time. League form has been so disappointing this season, it's hard to put it into words. We've done so well in the last 2 seasons, but this season we are just really struggling for consistency, especially away from home where we are constantly being taken apart.

We've improved somewhat since November and the problem is more with a lot of draws than necessarily with the defeats although they are at the time more infuriating as we just look hopeless at times away. The 4-0 defeat at Motherwell recently being a case in point - we tried to attack whilst keeping it solid defensively, but they just cut us to shreads at the back, helped by a wonder-goal from Keith Lasley. I tried to get John Rankin to man-mark him, but he only needs a sight of goal and he shoots! Our other 2 defeats since my last update have also been away - 4-0 at league leaders Rangers and 1-0 with a gut-wrenching 94th minute goal at Dundee. I guess it doesn't look too bad when put like that, but the league table doesn't lie and a yawning 19 point gap between us in 4th and Rangers at the top shows that our form just isn't good enough. Indeed we will struggle to catch Livingston for 2nd even and have a lot of work to do to secure the 3rd Champions League qualifying spot.

We switched to 5-4-1 for the first time ever for our recent match at 3rd placed Dundee United and it worked a treat, giving us a 0-2 win with excellent goals from David Winters and lone striker Ian MacSween. It's not a formation that I'm totally happy with, but I felt we needed more solid defence away from home so I sacrificed a striker for a centre-back. Ian MacSween isn't really an ideal lone striker though - he's a superb player, but not as a target man which he'd need to be for that role ideally. I'll probably try it again next away game to see how it goes. I'm not keen to lose the full-backs or the wingers so I'm limited in the formations I can try while I try to sort out our defensive frailties!

At home we continue to play well, but sometimes don't manage to create as many chances as I'd like. Wins over Celtic, Hearts (6-0) and Aberdeen have kept us ticking along, but draws at home to Livingston and Dundee United have definitely proved 4 points lost. We had a run of 3 successive away games to end January so hopefully we can get a few good home results to propell ourselves into proper contention for 1 of the 3 Champions League berths and find some form for our double header against Newcastle.

We narrowly beat Livingston 3-2 at Victoria Park in the SFA Cup with a late Stephen Dobbie winner to set us a home tie against Ayr United next Saturday from which we should progress. A cup run would be very welcome this season since our cup form in recent seasons has been atrocious barring one visit to Hampden for the League Cup final.

Holders - Ross County

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Rangers 23 17 3 3 49 23 +26 54

2nd Livingston 23 12 8 3 38 21 +17 44

3rd Dundee Utd 23 11 5 7 33 31 +2 38

4th Ross County 23 9 8 6 37 27 +10 35

5th Celtic 22 10 4 8 32 21 +11 34

6th Aberdeen 23 8 8 7 35 36 -1 32

7th Motherwell 22 8 6 8 35 29 +6 30

8th Dunfermline 23 5 9 9 23 28 -5 24

9th Kilmarnock 23 5 9 9 26 32 -6 24

10th Dundee 23 6 3 14 28 48 -20 21

11th Hibs 23 4 8 11 30 42 -12 20

12th Hearts 23 3 7 13 25 53 -28 16

</pre>

Champions League R2 review (part 1)

Newcastle United vs Ross County

Wednesday 11th March 2009

This was to be the next in what has been a steady succession of the "biggest game in Ross County's history". Newcastle United at St. James' Park in front of 44,267 vocal Geordies fully expecting their star-studded team to sweep past the nobodies from some town in North Scotland no-one had ever heard of! OK, so to be fair, Newcastle took us totally seriously and gave us the respect that is due to any team that comes through the Champions League Group stages. They were favourites and they knew it, but with that would come pressure.

In a match that saw Newcastle have 23 shots on goal, it was undoubtably a night that would test our young squad to the limit, especially with our domestic league form being distinctly average of late. Sure enough, just 8 minutes had passed when Jermaine Jenas was fed by Hugo Viana to find a gaping gap in the County defence. Jenas wasn't going to miss from there and smashed the ball confidently past Daniel Freeman to put Newcastle 1-0 up. As we entered the 37th minute, Ross County had defended well, allowing Newcastle just 6 shots on target so far, only 2 on target, one of them of course having hit the back of our net. As Steven Taylor rose above the Ross County defenders at the near post to head in a Freddie Ljungburg corner though things were not looking good for us. Playing the away leg first can be good so that we know what we have to do in the home leg, but getting a pasting that would render the home leg irrelevent was our worst fear and it looked like coming true as Newcastle continued to pile on the pressure. Thankfully we held on to half time and went in 2-0 down at the break. I did my best to gee the lads up and tell them they were still in this game - they just had to tighten up at the back and when they got any chances going forward, they had to take them because there wouldn't be many.

So it was that just 2 minutes into the second half, a punt up field from Nick James came to John Rankin who slid the ball wide to Kerr Dodds. The young right-back evidently decided his crossing ability was dubious so cut into the box and carried on running before unleashing a shot which squeezed between the post and Shay Given and into the Newcastle Utd net! We had an away goal and were right back in the game!!

Heartbreak was to follow though after we defended stoutly until the 86th minute when Newcastle won a freekick 25 yards out. Nolberto Solano fired it in, but Freeman caught it well and sent it upfield. Only as far as Andy Griffin though. Griffin found Ameobi, Ameobi spotted the gap and slid the ball through the Ross County defence to where Freddie Ljungburg was charging forward, the Swede duly ran forward into the box, collecting the ball and fired past a helpless Freeman to put Newcastle 3-1 up. It was still a good scoreline for us, but we've conceded so many late goals of late and it's so frustrating after defending so well for so long. Still, the match was very much alive for the return fixture at Victoria Park which was our main aim against such illustrious opponents.

FT: Newcastle United 3-1 Ross County

Elsewhere, many of Europe's big teams were in action, clashing around the continent, with the 8 group winners all having home advantage:

Arsenal 1-0 Milan

Chelsea 4-1 Betis

Dinamo Kiev 2-1 Juventus

FC Bayern 2-0 Real Madrid

Inter 4-0 Lyon

PSV 3-0 Lazio

VFB Stuttgart 1-1 Man Utd

Champions League R2 review (part 2)

Ross County vs Newcastle

Wednesday 25th February 2009

We were nervous heading into this second leg. No-one in the wider world of football expected anything from us of course so there was no pressure on us in that sense, but there was pressure from ourselves. We didn't want to crash out with a big defeat at home, but we knew Newcastle would be very dangerous on the break. That late Freddie Ljungburg goal in the first leg could prove so important. Equally, Kerr Dodds away goal for us could prove crucial also.

Having played with a 5-4-1 formation at St. James' Park, we reverted to a variation of 4-4-2 for the home match, using a DMC and an AMC this time however rather than our more usual MC pairing with one asked to be more attack-minded and one more defensive-minded. It's hard to judge tactics for a match such as this. We needed to be positive, but we couldn't afford to concede a goal and 2 would certainly be curtains for us. I opted for John Rankin ahead of Paul Harris in the pivotal DMC role. Both are excellent MCs, neither totally used to playing in a deeper role, but I felt Rankin's greater experience and heading ability would be important for us.

With Newcastle's strong midfield in mind I curbed my more usual attacking wingers, telling Richard Rhodes on the left wing and Ross O'Donoghue selected on the right to push infield when Newcastle had the ball. To balance our lack of attacking play down the wings, our two strikers, Steven McGarry and Kiegan Parker were told to pull wide when the opportunity presented itself to collect the ball and pull the Newcastle centre-backs with them. Ian MacSween was given the all-important AMC role, being asked to push forward at every opportunity to join the strikers and take advantage of any gaps created in the Newcastle defence by McGarry and Parker pulling wide.

Across the back, we had our usual settled line. Craig Samson was injured leaving us with only Daniel Freeman to play in goal and no 'keeper on the bench (we had U19's, but I chose to take the risk). David Dunne returned at left-back in favour of John MacDonald who has filled in there recently, whilst Kerr Dodds was, as ever, given the right-back role. In the centre of our defence were arguably our two most talented young players - both Scotland internationals, both still as yet to turn 21, Nick James and Mark McGlynn would be crucial for us in defending our lines and keeping Newcastle out.

So the match began, in front of a new capacity crowd of 8217 with the home fans looking to get well behind their team and roar them on. Within 2 minutes though, the tie was all but over and I was fuming on the touchline. John Rankin went down injured in a challenge with Jermaine Jenas, but Newcastle played on, Jenas to Ljungburg picking out Shola Ameobi who blasted into the back of the Ross County net. It was gutting for us as our DMC linchpin, John Rankin was stretchered off with a painful wrist sprain. It would now fall to Paul Harris to fill that role and attempt to halt Newcastle's momentum and at least keep the scoreline respectable for us.

2 minutes gone only and we had conceded the away goal. We were 1-4 down on aggregate against one of the best teams in Europe and with one of our most influential players stretchered off. To say I was angry on the touchline was an understatement. Sure, Newcastle had every right to play on, but that didn't make it any the easier to accept at the time as Rankin was left lying in agony on the turf as Ameobi was mobbed by his team-mates in celebration. I guess we had done well to get this far though and should be proud of that achievement...

[This message was edited by Peacemaker7 on 27 February 2004 at 18:01.]

Champions League R2 review (part 3)

Ross County vs Newcastle

Wednesday 11th March 2009

So there we were, 2 minutes gone, a goal down at home, 1-4 down on aggregate, one of our best players stretchered off and young Paul Harris on. It wasn't going to weaken the team much because Paul is an excellent young player who has made 70 appearances either from the start or as a sub since coming through our youth ranks, but it still meant an early change that we didn't want to have to make. The Newcastle players were all celebrating infront of their fans as our players trudged back to the centre circle to kick off. I told Paul as I sent him on to just do his best - whatever happened he wouldn't be judged harshly tonight, but that he did have a chance to make a name for himself on the big European stage.

On 17 mins, Richard Rhodes found Steven McGarry and the striker cut infield before firing over the bar. 3 minutes later and it was Newcastle's turn to come close as Jermaine Jenas fired narrowly over our bar. With 27 minutes on the clock we won a freekick in a dangerous position. McGarry lined it up, 25 yards out and fired it around the wall, Shay Given stretching, but turned it over the bar. It was going to be one of those days!

Deja vu on 37 minutes as this time Steven Taylor brought down Ian MacSween on the edge of the area. Slightly closer this time and McGarry stepped up to curl in a lovely shot - Given wasn't to have a chance this time. 1-1 on the night and we were matching Newcastle. Few chances for either side, but we weren't being outclassed. As the second half drew to a close we were on the attack again, winning another freekick. McGarry fired in the cross and Newcastle scrambled it behind for a corner. As the Magpies cleared the resulting corner downfield, Ross O'Donoghue collected in midfield and fed a perfect pass through to Ian MacSween to sidestep the 'keeper and slot home to put us 2-1 up. Suddenly we were back in the tie, just 3-4 down on aggregate and knowing one more goal would send us into extra-time and we had a whole 45 minutes to fight for it.

The hour mark came and went and the home fans were getting jittery, but so were the away fans. Both sides were playing well and chances were appearing in equal measure. Suddenly, David Dunne sent the ball down the wing for Richard Rhodes to chase onto and we were looking dangerous. Rhodes whipped in the cross and the 'keeper came for it, but Ian MacSween beat Given to the ball to knock it down and Keigan Parker poaching in the 6-yard box tapped in the loose ball. The crowd were going wild. Having been down and out so early in the game the atmosphere had been subdued early on, but now it was amazing. 3-1 to us on the night and now 4-4 on aggregate. Away goals were not an issue if the score stayed the same and we'd be into extra time. A goal for Newcastle though would mean we'd have to score twice to win.

The tension was amazing for the last 30 minutes, both sides knowing just how much this meant - a chance of a place in the last 8 of Europe's Premiere competition. Maybe it was that tension that caused the attacking play to deteriorate, but for the next 17 minutes neither side had a shot on goal as Lucio for Newcastle and Nick James and Mark McGlynn for Ross County were in imperious form, cutting out everything, winning headers, winning tackles and generally stopping the opposition from getting a sight of goal.

Just 10 minutes to go and we won a throw-in. Dunne took it, found the head of Darren Ambrose, but as the ball came back, McGlynn fired it forward into the path of young Richard Rhodes. The winger collected the ball in the area and fired in a fantastic shot, beating Shay Given from the angle. This was truly astounding, 0-1 down to 4-1 up and the atmosphere now was like nothing I'd experienced before in our tight packed little ground.

The last 10 minutes were the most tense of my career. We've conceded numerous late goals recently and I was left fuming on the touchline as Rangers netted a 94th minute winner in our last league match. Today though we were inspired and McGlynn and James continued to mop up anything and everything despite a few close shaves with our other players missing clearances. When the full time whistle went the players fell to their knees - this was the greatest moment in the club's history and it was all too much for our young team as the adoring fans chanted and cheered. The Newcastle fans were on their feet too applauding our performance and showing that their reputation as being some of the best fans in Britain is well warranted.

I could write pages and pages about our emotions at the end, but all football fans know the type of feelings, whether it is just a small domestic cup or the Champions League or even a league match - those ups and downs that every football fan goes through, whatever your team.

Another point of note and great credit - we were the only one of the 8 group runners up to get through the 2nd round. Next up we face PSV Eindhoven in the Quarter-finals!

FT: Ross County 4-1 Newcastle United (5-4)

Betis 1-0 Chelsea (2-4)

Juventus 1-1 Dinamo Kiev (2-3)

Lazio 0-1 PSV (0-4)

Lyon 0-0 Inter (0-4)

Man Utd 1-3 Stuttgart (2-4)

Milan 1-0 Arsenal (1-1) - Arsenal win on pens

Real Madrid 4-2 Bayern (4-4) Bayern win on away goals

icon_razz.gif

Wednesday 27th May 2009

6 years now I've been at Ross County. After the 1st, this is perhaps my most disappointing. Champions League runs are great, but the league is the bread and butter as far as I'm concerned and our bread was well and truly buttered by Glasgow Rangers this season.

So we had headed into February 4th in the league, the title only mathematically still possible and even that was on a fast timer that soon ran its course. Thanks mainly to Celtic's strong performances in Europe over the past seasons, Scotland still has 3 places in the European Cup for next season so our aim was to take one of those. I am one of those managers who, having been champions for the last 2 seasons feels there's coming 1st and then there's the rest - where we come amongst them doesn't matter - it isn't first. But of course, the way football is nowadays, it's all about getting into those "Champions" League qualifying spots, so top 3 it was that we had to aim for and it wasn't going to be easy.

4 successive away league matches as we turned from January into February didn't help our situation much. 3 of them came before the end of January so are covered earlier, with defeats at Motherwell and Dundee followed by a victory at Dundee United leaving us 3 points behind 3rd placed Dundee Utd. To say that our 3-0 defeat away to Celtic in the first league match of February was inconvenient would be a slight understatement, but at least we had that match out of the way now and Livingston's defeat a day earlier had kept our hopes up that 2nd place was still up for grabs...or at least that Livingston might get dragged down into the scrap so that there were 2 places to fight for rather than just 1.

Between those 4 away games, we hosted Ayr United in the FA Cup. 2-0 up at half time and playing well, we were looking good...2-2 at full time and we were left feeling a little embarrassed, but Ayr are a good side. With the draw for the Quarter-finals pitting the winners of our tie away to 3rd division Airdrie United we were kicking ourselves and were focused strongly on our replay down at Somerset Park. Unusually for us away from home we were confident and quite attack-minded and when Ian MacSween netted in the first minute and again on 7 minutes we were on our way and won 1-3 in the end.

Back in the league we desperately needed to hit some form and off the back of our encouraging away performance at Newcastle we beat Hibs and Hearts, the latter 0-3 away from home! Then came Rangers to Victoria Park and a 94th minute winner from Stephen Hughes that had me hopping mad. We had defended excellently with 10 men since John MacDonald was sent off for a cynical foul on Dean Ashton on 28 minutes - MacDonald evidently realising it was a choice between us going 1-0 down or down to 10-men and he chose the 10-men option! Not that it mattered in terms of our relative position to Rangers - even a high-powered telescope would struggle to pick them out from our league position, but in terms of our battle for a top 3 finish we were looking far from clever.

The victory over Newcastle breathed new life into the players and we embarked on a 10 game unbeaten run that was only ended on the last day of the season by...yes, you guessed it - Rangers. Our played 4, lost 4 record against them in the league this season is a great source of irritation for me, especially having only scored 1 goal and conceded 10. That run of 10 games was far from simple though and whilst the results came, our performances were at times quite appalling!

We hung on for a 2-3 win at Livingston in a crucial match before a highly disappointing 0-0 draw at home to Dunfirmline. A narrow 3-2 home win over Motherwell was followed by a late winner for a 1-0 at home to Kilmarnock. I would have really appreciated at some point a nice comfortable home win were I could relax a little on the touchline, but the players clearly wanted the tense option instead!

And so, having disposed of Airdrie United we headed to Hampden Park for the FA Cup semi-final with Dundee. Quite where our performance that day came from I have no idea - there was no indication in the league matches leading up to it of what was to come. Dundee I guess were just pretty woeful! We only had 12 shots on target, but 7 of them hit the back of the net as Ross O'Donoghue bagged a hat-trick, Paul Harris hit 2 in 2 minutes and Nick James and John Rankin each got in on the action too - quite amazingly for a 7 goal win, none of our strikers was on the scoresheet, although having said that we did only play 1 striker!!

Back in the league and Dundee were the visitors to Victoria Park next. No problem - we just hit 7 against them so this would be easy...or maybe not. 82 minutes on the clock this time as David Winters netted us another unconvincing 1-0 home win. A 1-1 draw at Pittodrie followed before Glasgow Celtic travelled north for another pivotal fixture. Zalayeta gave them the lead on 10 minutes and with 12 to go it wasn't looking good, but in a great rally late on, Ian MacSween equalised before an injury time winner from Mark McColl had me leaping up and down on the touchline like a maniac! I guess I shuld be pleased that we ground out these results whilst not playing well, but a series of late narrow winners in home matches takes its toll. I'm a manager who likes to see his teams perform and entertain maybe even ahead of results and watching us at the moment was like chewing on cardboard. Nevertheless, our fight for a top 3 finish was looking much brighter and Livingston were doing their best to put 2nd place up for grabs too. 3 wins on the trot - 0-3 at Dundee United, 2-1 at home to Livingston (79th minute winner this time!) and 1-2 at Aberdeen saw us secure a top 3 finish and despite getting thrashed on the final day of the season we held 2nd place as Livingston went down at Dundee United.

The final league table shows a 20 point gap between the top 2, but in truth that could have been even larger. Rangers secured the title with 7 games to go before easing off to the season's close. I am looking constantly to progression and our league performance over the last 3 years makes worrying reading:

2006/7 - 80 pts, 98 goals scored

2007/8 - 71 pts, 82 goals scored

2008/9 - 67 pts, 60 goals scored

If that's progress then I'm a Welshman!

And to end on a low note, I must conclude the Champions League story and FA Cup Final. PSV came and played us off the park in Dingwall as we drew 0-0. We headed to Eindhoven and despite playing defensive style played them off the park in the first half, creating 9 shots on goal. We didn't score any though so it remained 0-0 into the second half. Then Andre Ooijer scored on 52, then Theo Lucius scored on 56, then Leandro Bonfim scored on 63, then Mateja Kezman scored on 68. Can't really argue with that - we got hammered 4-0 and to try and claim anything other than that the better team won would be futile. We should have played better at home and taken a lead to Holland, we should have converted some of those chances in the first half in Eindhoven, we should have defended better in the second half, etc, etc, but 4-0 is 4-0 - it's not close, it's not lucky, it's a comprehensive win! The season ended with Aberdeen outplaying us for a 2-1 win in the FA Cup final. The papers said Aberdeen were quite lucky, but I don't know what game they watched. The better side won, we were rubbish, end of story.

I'm not a quitter and don't want to walk away from Ross County, but this season has been full of frustrations. The league is what matters to me and if we fail again next season I may well bid the club goodbye and let someone better take them forward on the next step.

Holders - Rangers

Pos Inf Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts

1st C Rangers 38 27 6 5 82 33 +49 87

2nd Ross County 38 19 10 9 60 42 +18 67

3rd Livingston 38 18 10 10 64 42 +22 64

4th Celtic 38 18 8 12 61 41 +20 62

5th Dundee Utd 38 16 6 16 48 61 -13 54

6th Aberdeen 38 13 12 13 55 63 -8 51

7th Kilmarnock 38 12 12 14 45 47 -2 48

8th Motherwell 38 13 6 19 52 60 -8 45

9th Hibs 38 10 11 17 48 63 -15 41

10th Dundee 38 12 4 22 47 70 -23 40

11th Dunfermline 38 9 12 17 42 49 -7 39

12th R Hearts 38 7 11 20 43 76 -33 32

</pre>

Interview from the Dingwall Times on Wednesday November 4th 2009

Ian MacSween speaks to Hamish Brodie on injury, Scotland and Ross County's start to the season

Hamish: Thanks for the interview Ian. It's been a busy start to the season!

Ian: Hi Hamish. Yes, Ross County have started really well this year unlike our last 2 seasons!

Hamish: First, I must ask how your recovery is going Ian. You broke your leg in a pre-season friendly almost 4 months ago now - are you close to a return yet?

Ian: Yes, I'm back in training now and starting to regain fitness, but it'll take me a while to get back to full match fitness. The gaffer is very good about it though and tells me not to rush things and the club are clearly doing fine without me so far!

Hamish: You are the top scorer from the last 2 seasons though so I imagine you are raring to get going again this season?

Ian: I can't wait to get back playing, but I know I have to be patient. It was a real low point for me when I was stretched off at Southampton and I knew it was bad, but I'm looking forward positively now icon_smile.gif

Hamish: So, onto Ross County so far this season...played 11, won 8, drawn 2, lost 1 so far in the league - you must be delighted with that start after the disappointment of finishing so far behind Rangers last season.

Ian: Yes, it's been a great start and I hope we can continue it. The defeat at Hibs was disappointing because it's always nice to keep an unbeaten record, but we've been solid away and good at home so far. Beating Celtic and Rangers so far feels good too!

Hamish: 9 goals in 2 games Dundee so far this season too!

Ian: Aye, I think both sets of fans in Dundee are sick of the sight of us now. We were delighted with those performances because we've had problems away from home in the past.

Hamish: You're in the League Cup quarter finals as well having fielded a second string to beat Alloa 5-0. Livingston away will be tough though?

Ian: Yeah, we were hoping for another home draw, but we're confident we can win at Livingston again - we won there in a crucial match to take 2nd spot in the SPL last season and we've beaten them at home this season so we'll just have to see how it goes. We would like to win some cup silverware soon though and the league cup is a realistic trophy for us to aim for.

Hamish: Finally on Ross County - you must be delighted with how easily you've qualified for the 2nd round of the Champions League this season with 2 games still left after last night's great win in Stuttgart?

Ian: To be honest Hamish we were really surprised to find that we were through after just 4 games! We knew, like last season that we needed a point at least away from home, but with Porto and Stuttgart both underperforming we find ourselves through already. The defeat in Turin was disappointing, but fully expected and the 2-0 scoreline wasn't too bad. We could yet top the group if we can beat them 3-0 at our place!

Hamish: I must ask you about Scotland also. You won your first cap last year and we all feel should have won more, but you must be ecstatic at Scotland qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in such style.

Ian: Yeah, that match in Italy was amazing - Nick (James) and Mark (McGlynn) were at the back for us just like they have been for Ross County the last 3 seasons and they did a great job to help keep a clean sheet and you can always rely on Kenny (Miller) to score a goal and then to score another for a 0-1 win in Belgium and to remain unbeaten across all our 10 matches conceding just 3 goals was fantastic. Everyone said Italy were favourites for the group and that it was between Belgium and Scotland for 2nd, but we showed them what the Scots can do icon_smile.gif

Holders - Rangers

1st Ross County 11 8 2 1 26 10 +16 26

2nd Livingston 11 6 3 2 16 9 +7 21

3rd Dundee Utd 11 5 4 2 18 11 +7 19

4th Rangers 11 5 3 3 15 10 +5 18

5th Celtic 11 5 2 4 16 13 +3 17

6th Kilmarnock 11 4 4 3 16 16 0 16

7th Hibs 11 3 6 2 13 14 -1 15

8th Aberdeen 11 2 5 4 15 17 -2 11

9th Falkirk 11 3 1 7 15 16 -1 10

10th Motherwell 11 1 7 3 10 15 -5 10

11th Dunfermline 11 2 4 5 16 26 -10 10

12th Dundee 11 1 1 9 7 26 -19 4

</pre>

Wednesday 27th January 2010

Football management can be infuriating at times. You have a team that are playing really well and starting to pull clear at the top of the league and then the wheels fall off spectacularly. It's not that we weren't playing well in December, we were dominating games, but the results were totally at odds with the balance of play.

We ended November in a somewhat mixed manner with a disappointing 2-2 draw at home to Aberdeen, a narrow 1-0 defeat at Falkirk and a 2-0 win over Motherwell. Inbetween times we had already secured our place in the 2nd round of the Champions League so defeat in Porto having been 0-2 up was not a big problem.

December saw us fail to win a single game as Juventus came to Victoria Park and won to comfortably top our Champions League group and Livingston knocked us out of the league cup. We also managed only a 0-0 draw away to Kilmarnock before 3 defeats on the trot saw us drop off the top of the table. The successive home defeats against Dundee United (0-1) and Hibernian (2-3) were really frustrating - we created so many chances and should have won both, but we just didn't put away our chances whilst Hibernian's front two were in lethal form. We ended the month with an inevitable defeat, 3-1 at Celtic to leave us 2nd in the league heading into the New Year.

The turn of the year has brought with it a slight change in our fortunes. A Richard Rhodes brace gave us a 1-2 win at Dunfirmline before Raith Rovers were sent packing, 4-1 in the FA Cup 3rd Round as they conceded 2 penalties and had a man sent off in 3 seperate incidents. The home league match with Dundee saw Keigan Parker add to his 2 penalties in the cup match with a 14 minute hat-trick to send us well on our way, Ross O'Donoghue netting twice to round off a comfortable 5-0 win.

A disappointing defeat at Livingston in a match in which we again create more chances than the opposition saw Richard Rhodes put through his own net for Livingston's second before scoring in the correct end 2 minutes later, but it wasn't enough as we went down 2-1. We headed to Ibrox with some trepidation after our recent form, but our performance there was outstanding. John MacDonald and Richard Rhodes gave us two early goals, with Stephen Hughes pulling one back just before half time to send us in 1-2 in front. Dean Ashton scored a late goal for Rangers, but by that time Ross O'Donoghue had fired in twice to put us in an unasailable position, giving us an excellent 2-4 win.

The Champions League 2nd Round draw saw us pitted against Arsenal again after our 2 group matches against the then champions last season. It will be a tough match, but we beat them, scoring 4 goals at Victoria Park last season and our 4-1 win over Newcastle gives us confidence that we can perhaps cause an upset. We'll have to defend better than we did in that 4-3 home win last season though. We also have a home cup tie with Albion Rovers upcoming next month which should see us into the Quarter-finals of the SFA Cup.

Having completed our Youth Acadamey over the Summer and beginning to see the fruits of that now, the extension to our South stand is now also complete giving us a capacity of over 10,000 now.

Holders - Rangers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Dundee Utd 22 11 8 3 35 19 +16 41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Ross County 22 12 4 6 45 25 +20 40

3rd Livingston 22 10 8 4 29 21 +8 38

4th Rangers 22 9 6 7 35 25 +10 33

5th Celtic 22 9 6 7 38 32 +6 33

6th Hibs 22 7 11 4 29 30 -1 32

7th Falkirk 22 7 7 8 32 26 +6 28

8th Aberdeen 22 6 8 8 34 38 -4 26

9th Kilmarnock 22 5 9 8 23 35 -12 24

10th Dundee 22 6 3 13 26 46 -20 21

11th Dunfermline 22 3 9 10 25 41 -16 18

12th Motherwell 22 2 11 9 27 40 -13 17

</pre>

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Wednesday February 24th 2010

Sensational County crush ailing Arsenal

Hamish Brodie reports on an historic night at Victoria Park:

This was one of the greatest, if not the greatest results in Ross County's history. County played and beat Arsenal 4-3 at Victoria Park in the group stages of last season's Champions League so were confident of scoring goals today, but worries persisted about the defence. These worries seemed to be borne out on 27 minutes when substitue Vierinha, on for the injured Owen Hargreaves cancelled out Nick James' opening header.

Ross County were in no mood to hang around though and bossed Arsenal with a free-flowing style of attacking football, taking risks, but attacking with such pace and panache that Arsenal struggled to halt the tide. Playing with what people considered to be a negative 5-4-1 style formation, County poured forward, attacking down the wings with devastating accuracy.

With 29 minutes on the clock, David Dunne, backtracking in the left-back position turned and played a sumptuous 70-yard pass down the left wing for man of the match Richard Rhodes to chase on to. The County left winger has been in awesome form in recent matches and continued his form tonight, starting with a pinpoint cross for Ross O'Donoghue to fire past Jerzy Dudek.

Just 7 minutes later, Stephen Dobbie rose to win a header, knocking the ball down into the path of Rhodes who charged into the box and blasted home County's 3rd. As the first half drew to a close, County won a throw in on the right wing. Kerr Dodds found John Rankin who fired in a brilliant cross into the 6-yard box for an un-marked Richard Rhodes to fire home the fourth.

Heading in 4-1 up at half time there was a buzz around the 10,000+ fans in the newly extended ground and a great expectation for the second half, but also fears of an Arsenal comeback - many fans remembering being 4-1 up before finishing 4-3 last season. That day, it didn't matter, being a group match, but today every goal would matter for the second leg down at Asburton Grove.

Ultimately, the second half couldn't live up to the excitement of the first and the only true moment of entertainment came as Arsenal's Senderos was sent off. Arsenal defended well with 10 men, but rarely threatened the County goal and despite having lots of possession, the home side failed to create any more true goalscoring chances and had to settle for a 4-1 lead to take to the second leg. Whether they can hold on in 2 weeks time remains to be seen, but fans will travel South with hope that their in-form side can pull of a famous result. County headed into this game off the back of some fantastic league form and if they can carry that through to the away leg they could yet complete a great victory and match last season's performance.

FT: Ross County 4-1 Arsenal (Attendance 10,810)

Elsewhere, Juventus were the only away side to take a lead back for the home leg of their tie.

Newcastle 2-1 Panathiniakos

Deportivo 0-3 Juventus

Ross County 4-1 Arsenal

Dinamo Kiev 2-1 PSV

Real Madrid 5-1 Chelsea

Man Utd 2-0 Olympiakos

FC Bayern 2-0 Genk

Shakhtar 0-0 Ajax

Article from the Dingwall Times on Friday March 12th 2010

County stonewall Arsenal to setup PSV re-match

Hamish Brodie reports:

In a match with very little of note to report, Ross County defended stoutly at Ashburton Grove on Wednesday with 'keeper Craig Samson in excellent form and right-back Kerr Dodds deservedly winning man of the match. Arsenal's assault on the Champions League title which they won 2 seasons ago shuddered to a halt in a dull, but effective for Ross County, 0-0 draw.

The draw for the Quarter-finals sees Ross County matched against PSV Eindhoven for the second year running, the Dutch side having overcome Dinamo Kiev in the 2nd round. Manager Adam Eckersley was very happy with the draw, saying it would be a chance to avenge last season's defeat and would be a great test to measure how far the club has come over the last year. Eckersley also commented that at this stage of the tournament all teams would be tough to play, but that last season's matches showed him that the club can match PSV, despite having lost 4-0 eventually. The first leg will take place this time at the Philips Stadion in Eindhoven on March 24th.

The full quarter-final draw is as follows:

Newcastle vs Juventus

PSV vs Ross County

Man Utd vs Real Madrid

FC Bayern vs Shakhtar

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Saturday March 13th 2010

MacSween returns to down Hibs

Hamish Brodie reports:

Ross County continued their excellent recent form with a comfortable 1-4 win at Easter Road today having gone a goal down in only the 2nd minute to Derek Riordan's strike. Ian MacSween, making just his 4th start of an injury ravaged season showed he has lost none of his clinical finishing ability, scoring twice before the half hour to ease County on their way. MacSween missed the first 4 months of the season after suffering a broken leg in a pre-season friendly with Southampton and after briefly returning suffered a knee injury which saw him out injured for another 2 months, but today he returned with a vengeance to score his first 2 goals of the season and will be looking to fire Ross County to further success this season.

Nick James converted a penalty after MacSween was brought down in the area on 39 minutes, before John Rankin wrapped up the win with a neat finish after 50 minutes. This win sees Ross County move 7 points clear of Dundee United who have a game in hand and 8 points clear of Livingston who have played a game more than County.

FT: Hibernian 1-4 Ross County

Tuesday 20th April 2010

Just 5 games left now in the league season as we once more come to the split. Rather less stressful than at this time last season when we had a fight on our hands for 3rd place. The fixtures for the last 5 games see us home twice followed by away fixtures at 3rd, 2nd and 4th, but with luck we should have the title wrapped up before then.

Our 2-4 win at Ibrox at the end of January was the first in a string of 7 straight wins up to and including our Champions Cup win over Arsenal towards the end of February. 5 clean sheets in a row after the Rangers match saw us beat Aberdeen (2-0), Motherwell (0-2), Falkirk (5-0) and Kilmarnock (3-0) in the league and Albion Rovers (3-0) in the SFA Cup. With Dundee United achieving mixed results we were putting ourselves into a very strong position which was lessened slightly by a 2-0 defeat at Tannadice, but we were still looking hot favourites for the title heading into March.

March began with us absolutely dominating our Cup Quarter final at Pittodrie, but ultimately only going through 0-1 with a rare goal from left-back David Dunne. An excellent 1-4 win at Hibernian which saw the goalscoring return of Ian MacSween was followed by a solid 2-0 win over Celtic with MacSween again on the scoresheet. The following week, we were in outstanding form as Dunfirmline were sent packing 4-0 at Victoria Park with goals from Ross O'Donoghue, Keigan Parker, John MacDonald and Ian MacSween.

Our form heading into the Champions Cup Quarter-final with PSV had been good and we played very well in Eindhoven, but Craig Samson had a bad day, conceding 3 goals out of PSV's 5 shots on target. Richard Rhodes scored a thunderous goal for us to give some hope for the home leg as PSV took a 3-1 lead to Victoria Park.

Between the two legs, we visited Dundee again and having won twice in the city in quick succession earlier in the season we now added a second defeat in just over a month there, Steve Cook scoring the only goal of a dull match for Dundee.

The return leg against PSV was a tense affair and the first 42 minutes yielded relatively few chances before 2 goals in 4 minutes from Richard Rhodes and John Rankin saw us head in at half time 2-0 up, 3-3 on aggregate and with the away goal. The second half was a huge disappointment though as Kerr Dodds twice failed to pick up Arjen Robben and the winger devastated us with 2 assists for Lucius and Rommedahl to send PSV through. Andre Ooijer wrapped up victory on the night for PSV, but by then we knew we were out and had given up a little.

3 days later we had a chance to put that disappointment behind us as we headed to Hampden to face Cowdenbeath in the SFA Cup semi-final. We were far from our best, but goals in either half gave us the win. Youngster Steven Kavanagh from last Summer's youth academy crop filled in for the suspended Ross O'Donoghue and made an immediate impact with the opening goal. With O'Donoghue out for 3 games in total, Kavanagh seized his chance with both hands scoring 1 in our 2-0 win over Rangers and both as we came from a goal down to beat Livingston 2-1 at home in the last match before the split.

We face Livingston again in the SFA Cup final, a match which will be tricky as we haven't always performed too well against them. Hopefully we can win our first cup in 7 years of my management though. The league is all but wrapped up so the cup is our one main focus for the rest of the season now.

On a side-note, Hibs' 2-0 win over Rangers in the 33rd league match of the season saw the Edinburgh side leapfrog the current SPL champions into the top half of the table. I had thought we defended our title badly last season, but Rangers have taken that on to a new level of incompetence this season with manager Frank Farina who had led them to such a dominant title win getting sacked in the last few months, showing just how tough it is in charge of a club with high expectations!

Holders - Rangers

1st Ross County 33 21 4 8 71 30 +41 67

2nd Livingston 33 14 12 7 45 33 +12 54

3rd Dundee Utd 33 14 11 8 43 29 +14 53

4th Celtic 33 14 8 11 54 43 +11 50

5th Falkirk 33 11 10 12 45 40 +5 43

6th Hibs 33 10 13 10 43 51 -8 43

7th Rangers 33 11 9 13 47 47 0 42

8th Dundee 33 11 7 15 36 52 -16 40

9th Kilmarnock 33 8 13 12 35 55 -20 37

10th Aberdeen 33 7 15 11 43 50 -7 36

11th Motherwell 33 6 15 12 40 52 -12 33

12th Dunfermline 33 6 13 14 33 53 -20 31

</pre>

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Saturday 28th August 2010

County crush Rangers to maintain 100% start

Hamish Brodie reports:

Ross County's start to the new season has been extremely impressive so far after the somewhat unimpressive end to last season. County ended last season with 3 straight away defeats in the league as manager Adam Eckersley headed off to the Faroes with the SPL title already in the bag, leaving Assistant Andy Goram in charge for the last 4 matches. Eckersley then returned for the FA Cup final, which, by his own admission was one of the dullest matches he has witnessed as 120 goal-less minutes were played out before County won a tense penalty shoot-out. With no transfer activity at all in the summer other than the departure of Steve Robinson to play in South JKorea, fans were worried that the team might struggle to push forward this season.

The fixture list for the new season did little to ease supporter's fears as County began with a tricky away tie at Dundee United before hosting Glasgow Celtic and travelling to Glasgow Rangers. With a comfortable 0-3 win at Ibrox today however, Ross County find themselves sitting 2nd in the table with 3 wins out of 3, 6 goals scored and 0 conceded, just behind surprise leaders Falkirk.

Having dispatched Dundee United and Celtic, County came to Ibrox in confident mood and bossed the match in impressive style with a Keigan Parker tap in sending the away side in 0-1 up at the break. Two breakaway goals from dynamo midfielder Ross O'Donoghue in the second half wrapped up the 0-3 win leaving the home fans shocked and wondering whether their team will manage to bounce back from the disappointment of finishing 7th last season.

FT: Rangers 0-3 Ross County

Next up for Ross County is a home tie with Livingston, whilst the Dingwall Times will also bring news of manager Adam Eckersley's first match in charge of the Faroe Islands as they kick off their Euro 2012 campaign against Austria on 11th November with their second match 4 days later away to Switzerland.

Author's note: For anyone interested in following my career in charge of the Faroes, I'll be updating my international progress here

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Saturday 18th September 2010

New young star inspires County

Hamish Brodie reports:

St. Johnstone vs Ross County

After his frustrations managing the Faroe Islands in midweek, manager Adam Eckersley must have watched today's performance and wished he had even 1 player in his Faroese squad with the talents of this Ross County team. The league leaders were in unstopable form today against a hapless St. Johnstone team. There may have been 6 different names on the scoresheet, but one young man stood out as the star performer.

Young Alan Reid came through from the County youth academy a year ago and spent last season maturing in the reserves before being thrown in on the right wing this season and what an impact the youngster has made! David Winters may struggle to regain his right wing berth having returned from injury after today's performance.

Ross County opened the scoring after just 8 minutes as Reid fired the ball back in after a corner for John Rankin to turn and blast home. 10 minutes later, Reid himself was on the scoresheet with a cool run and finish from a cross-field pass by David Dunne. Just 3 minutes later and Dunne again found Reid with a pinpoint cross from left-back to right wing, Reid this time choosing to slide the ball through for Ian MacSween to add County's 3rd.

With many fans still finding their way back to their seats after half time, Nick James found Alan Reid wide right and the winger curled in a delicious floating cross for fellow winger Richard Rhodes, also a member of the County youth academy, to head home the 4th. Reid was in inspired form, finding time to fire in numerous shots as well as collecting the ball after a County corner was cleared, pulling wide right and floating in yet another pinpoint cross for David Dunne to put away.

Ross County wrapped up the win with a bizarre goal which summed up everything about these two sides. County are top of the table now with 5 wins out of 5, 16 goals scored and yet to concede whilst St. Johnstone find themselves rooted to the foot of the table, yet to score or pick up a point and having conceded 17 goals. County's 6th was a 70-yarder hit upfield by Mark McGlynn who collected a St. Johnstone goalkick, turned and fired it back, the St. Johnstone 'keeper charging out, completely misjudging the flight of the ball which looped over him and carried on into the back of the net!

FT: St. Johnstone 0-6 Ross County

Holders - Ross County

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Ross County 5 5 0 0 16 0 +16 15

2nd Falkirk 4 4 0 0 10 1 +9 12

3rd Motherwell 5 3 2 0 14 6 +8 11

4th Celtic 4 3 0 1 12 4 +8 9

5th Dundee Utd 5 2 2 1 8 4 +4 8

6th Aberdeen 5 2 2 1 8 6 +2 8

7th Hibs 5 1 3 1 4 6 -2 6

8th Kilmarnock 5 2 0 3 6 11 -5 6

9th Dundee 5 1 0 4 6 10 -4 3

10th Rangers 5 1 0 4 4 13 -9 3

11th Livingston 5 0 1 4 1 11 -10 1

12th St. Johnstone 5 0 0 5 0 17 -17 0

</pre>

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Saturday 9th October 2010

Sensational Falkirk stun leaders County

Hamish Brodie reports:

Falkirk are back on top of the SPL table after an amazing start to their 2nd SPL season having dropped just 2 points in 8 games so far after today's late winner at Victoria Park. Ross County were perhaps suffering a European hangover from their midweek trip to Poland, but whatever the reason they failed to take a hold of the game and only a brilliant one-handed save from Craig Samson denied Falkirk taking the lead just before half time.

An even second half saw only a few clearcut chances, but the game appeared to be heading for a 0-0 stalemate as Ross County manager Adam Eckersley urged his players forward heading into the dying minutes. Falkirk took full advantage of County's late kitchen sink tactics as they won a corner which wasn't sufficiently cleared and was fired back goalward for Dean Armstrong to volley home as the clock ticked to 90:00. County had no time to respond and went down to their first league defeat of the season after 7 straight wins in which they had conceded just a single goal.

Ross County 0-1 Falkirk (9114 Attendance)

Elsewhere, Aberdeen moved 5th with a 0-4 win at Hibs, Motherwell lost but retained 4th whilst 3rd placed Celtic weren't in action. Falkirk now lead the table by a point from Ross County with Celtic a further 6 points back with a game in hand against 8th placed Rangers tomorrow.

Thanks for the votes of confidence icon_smile.gif

Tuesday 6th November 2010

It's been quite a start to the season for me! Juggling the demands of club management with my new job as Faroe Islands manager. I'm having great fun though and when I start to feel the stress of the two jobs I remind myself that I'm living a dream, just being a football manager at all and that if I really wanted to I could just pack it all in today and get a "proper" job, but I don't want to, stress or no stress it's what I love.

That said, the season at Ross County has been relatively stress-free so far - the domestic season that is, at least - our start has been unbelievable, of the kind I didn't think us capable. In a couple of recent seasons we have had very indifferent starts and I was well aware that whilst the first time we still recovered to win the title, the second we trailed in a country mile behind Rangers. Speaking of the Glasgow minnows, their runaway success seems to have been very much a flash in the pan as they follow up their bottom half of the table performance last season by seemingly attempting the same this season. Celtic are doing a bit better, but both are being put in the shade well and truly by two "small" clubs.

I hate to lose unbeaten records and home records and the like and this season was no different, but if we had to lose it to anyone then I'm glad it was Falkirk, just because it's great to see another new team up there fighting at the top, and one of our old adversaries from my first season in Division 1. They thoroughly deserve their current 2nd place, with a 1-4 win at Celtic amongst their notable scalps.

That slight blip aside though we have so far strolled through the SPL season with surprising ease. I'm not pretending it will remain this easy to keep winning games, but if we throw away the title now it would be a catastrophy. 10 wins out of 11 and just 3 goals conceded is a truly fantastic performance by the lads and I hope it can follow through for the rest of the season and to push us on in Europe.

Ah, yes, Europe...not quite as smooth going as in the league, but at least we remain unbeaten. Our group is hard to fathom though and could prove very tricky with all sorts of unexpected turns to come maybe. Manchester United were hot favourites to win the group so an opening day defeat at home to Wisla Krakow followed by a defeat away to Panathinaikos surprised many, not least myself and we had to re-appraise the situation with regards to the threats posed by the other teams in our group and the position of Manchester United.

Those results make things difficult for us because I fully expect Manchester United to bounce back in the second set of group matches so we need to keep moving too. Our 1-1 draw at home to the Mancs with an 88th minute equaliser from Mark McColl sees us 2nd in the group at the halfway stage with 5 points having drawn 3-3 away to Wisla and beaten Panathinaikos at home, 1 behind Panathinaikos, 1 ahead of Wisla Krakow and 4 ahead of Manchester United so even if we lose at Old Trafford this week, as one suspects we will, we will at least remain above them. It'll be tight, but with a home tie against Wisla to come I would hope we will squeeze through.

In the league cup we disposed of Elgin 0-5 away from home to set up a Quarter-final which we should win at home to Greenock Morton. Little Glasgow Rangers continued their humiliating slide by losing 3-0 away to bottom of the first division Forfar Athletic.

On the player front, special mention has to go to a man Hamish Brodie has already rightly picked out as a star performer for us so far. When Richard Rhodes burst onto the scene a few years back from our youth team I was astonished by his impact, scoring 10 goals and claiming 14 assists from the left wing as a 16 year old, but the debut season of Alan Reid is the best I have ever seen from anyone.

I couldn't envisage the day, when I took over, that David Winters would find himself warming the bench for us, he has been a stalwart of my side and one of the first names onto every team sheet on the right wing for the last 7 years, but with his injury earlier this season I decided to throw versatile young Alan Reid in and he has been a phenomenan. 3 goals and 8 assists in just 7 league games, 4 goals and 11 assists in 11 games all told have seen him rapidly become a fans favourite. Equally happy in defence and midfield, in the centre or on the right, he has revelled in his right wing position showing off his outsanding dribbling and crossing ability as well as chipping in with a number of assured finishes. To have two such exciting young wingers, both out of our youth system is a great sense of pride and pleasure for me as wingers have always been my favourite type of player. I could quite rightly was lyrical about any player in the team on performances this season, but I'll just finish by paying tribute to Mark McGlynn and Nick James who are for the 4th season running, putting in performances of the highest consistency and level of performance yet again - to have conceded just 3 league goals says all that needs to be said of their work for us - and they still have a combined age of just 43, but deservedly 45 caps between them already.

Holders - Ross County

1st Ross County 11 10 0 1 30 3 +27 30

2nd Falkirk 11 8 1 2 22 8 +14 25

3rd Celtic 11 6 1 4 25 14 +11 19

4th Motherwell 11 5 3 3 25 18 +7 18

5th Aberdeen 11 4 4 3 17 14 +3 16

6th Rangers 11 5 1 5 17 23 -6 16

7th Dundee Utd 11 3 4 4 14 15 -1 13

8th Kilmarnock 10 4 1 5 16 22 -6 13

9th Livingston 11 3 2 6 8 18 -10 11

10th Dundee 11 3 1 7 16 20 -4 10

11th Hibs 11 1 5 5 7 18 -11 8

12th St. Johnstone 10 1 1 8 3 27 -24 4

</pre>

[This message was edited by glamdring on 08 March 2004 at 22:53.]

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Wednesday 15th December 2010

County crash out of Europe as Livingston make last 16

Hamish Brodie reports:

The warning signs had been there throughout the group with surprise results causing everyone to constantly re-appraise the situation in Group E of the Champions League. Manchester United losing their opening 2 matches was always likely to make the group very tight as few expected them to continue that form and exit Europe with a wimper. Sure enough, having drawn in Dingwall, the Manchester side won their last 3 group matches to top the group with 10 points ahead of Panathinaikos on 8.

Ross County's 0-0 draw in Greece saw them head into their final group game at home to Wisla Krakow in 3rd place in the group, but with their destiny in their own hands with the top two playing each other - whatever the result in the Man Utd - Panathinaikos match, a win for County would have sent them through. In the event though, Wisla proved to be very tough opponents, just as they had been when the two teams drew 3-3 in Poland and as Manchester United found when they lost 0-2 at home to the Poles.

County created far more of the chances tonight, but just didn't finish them off and weren't their usual freeflowing selves. Wisla took the lead on 10 minutes through Darius Lech and then defended comfortably until they wrapped up the victory and UEFA Cup spot with a goal 10 minutes from the end from Maciej Zurawski.

Ross County manager Adam Eckersley was disappointed with his team's performance in Europe, especially since domestic form has been the best County have ever seen. Eckersley commented that their group had shown that there are no easy matches in the Champions League and no team should be under-estimated. At the start of the group it looked like Manchester United should head through and with their recent performances in Europe coupled with league form, County had a good chance of finishing above the two eastern european teams. In the end both "favourites" received a rude awakening and County failed to recover, unlike Utd.

Eckersley remained upbeat however saying that this would add to his team's experience of Europe and make them stronger by adding a new bitter experience which they would learn from. He re-iterated that the league is always his first priority, but with County cruising in the SPL with only Falkirk providing any challenge at all, Eckersley must be disappointed that he no longer has European football for the rest of the season. County will now focus on attempting to achieve a domestic treble with a league cup semi-final against Celtic in February and the FA Cup beginning in January.

In Group B, Livingston put in a spirited set of performances including a sensational 0-3 win away to Bayern Munich to shock the European football world and head through to the last 16.

Holders - Juventus

1st Q Man Utd 6 3 1 2 11 5 +6 10

2nd Q PAO 6 2 2 2 6 8 -2 8

3rd Wisla 6 2 2 2 8 9 -1 8

4th Ross County 6 1 3 2 7 10 -3 6

</pre>

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Wednesday 9th February 2011

County trounce Celtic to setup clash of the best

Hamish Brodie reports:

Ross County and Glasgow Celtic headed into today's League Cup Semi final in the knowledge that the winners would face SPL high-flyers Falkirk in the final. By the time the full whistle blew, the result was far beyond doubt as the top two teams in the SPL head for a clash at Hampden Park in the final next month.

The match began tightly though, Ross O'Donoghue sliding home to give County an early lead, but Ross Wallace headed home a corner to send the two sides in 1-1 at half time. Tension was rising as the hour mark came and went with no further goals before Ross County exploded into action starting in the 69th minute. Keigan Parker fired in County's second goal after a smooth passing movement involving McGlynn, Reid, O'Donoghue and Rhodes. After that, Celtic were beaten and County poured all over the fallen and currently manager-less giants with further goals from Ian MacSween, Parker again, Alan Reid and Ross O'Donoghue again. Celtic fans must wonder where their club goes next after this humiliating defeat. The club still lie 3rd in the SPL and on target to take the last Champions League spot for next season, but it is such a distant 3rd that fans cannot be at all satisfied.

It may not seem the most glamorous of finals, but Ross County vs Falkirk will pit against each other the two teams who have together shreaded the SPL and are currently involved in a tense and close title race with the rest of the league trailing in miles behind. Falkirk will perhaps be the favourites having beaten County both times they have met this season, but after this performance few would count out Ross County.

FT: Ross County 6-1 Celtic

Saturday 12th February 2011

I have to hand it to Falkirk - whilst I have and still do take them very seriously, far more so than the national media, I honestly didn't think they would be this good for so long! We have blazed a trail at the top of the league beyond my wildest dreams. Celtic in 3rd place are a massive 18 points behind us, with Rangers nowhere, yet Falkirk have clung to our coat-tails the whole time and in fact, not only have they done so, they have led us on a few occasions during the season.

The domestic season has been brilliant for us, at least until today. I had hoped to win the domestic treble this season, but today our hopes were dashed as Motherwell put in an excellent performance to dump us out of the SFA Cup at the 4th Round stage. Ross O'Donoghue had given us the lead, but Craig Fagen equalised before ex-Hibs striker Garry O'Connor sent Motherwell through with a 71st minute winner. As in so many cases we had the better of the chances, we just didn't convert enough of them and Motherwell deservedly won. Maybe this year we'll have to be content with swapping our FA Cup for the league cup, although the final against Falkirk will be no easy matter at all.

In the league we continue to set the pace, but only just. Our defeat at Falkirk on New Year's Day saw them close the gap to 1 point and whilst we did open that out back to 3 points, our recent 2-2 draw at Dundee United saw the gap close yet again to a single point. Way back at the start of December, Livingston beat us 3-1 in our first away defeat of the season, but those 3 results are the only downsides to a terrific recent run in which we have won every one of our other games. Most notable amongst our victories were 2 more back to back victories over the Old Firm and a 6-0 demolition of St. Johnstone, during which Mark McColl came off the bench for the injured David Winters to put away 4 goals!

The less said about Europe the better. It was a disappointment, but we must move on. We'll be back next season and we'll be stronger. I wasn't at all bothered that we didn't drop into the UEFA Cup - once you've tasted success, reaching the Quarter-finals of the Champions League for the last 2 seasons, trying to get motivated for a UEFA Cup run after an early exit from this season's Champions League would have been akin to eating beans on toast having spent the last 2 years dining at the best restaurants in town! Having fewer fixtures for the second half of the season will do the lads no harm at all.

On the player front we'll probably be needing a new striker or 2 next season as Stephen Dobbie, Mark McColl and Mark Burchill have all decided to move on in the summer on Bosman free transfers. I did try to keep Mark McColl as I think he has some talent and has done well for us in spells, but all 3 were relatively peripheral figures. That said, it will leave us a little light for cover and options should we get some injuries. David Winters, Ross O'Donoghue, John Rankin and Daniel Freeman are also all out of contract in the summer and yet to sign new deals. I'm leaving my assistant, Andy Goram, to try to hammer out new deals with them because I'm having problems dealing with their agents so I'll see if Andy can get further - I have my hands full with running the team for this season and my international commitments with the Faroes. I'd be sad to see those players leave, but if they do then we'll move on, fill the gaps with youngsters and keep striving to move onwards and upwards.

Holders - Ross County

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Ross County 23 19 1 3 64 17 +47 58

2nd Falkirk 23 18 3 2 53 18 +35 57

3rd Celtic 23 12 4 7 46 27 +19 40

4th Motherwell 23 10 8 5 46 32 +14 38

5th Livingston 23 9 4 10 25 30 -5 31

6th Kilmarnock 23 8 6 9 30 33 -3 30

7th Rangers 23 9 3 11 38 46 -8 30

8th Dundee Utd 23 7 7 9 32 41 -9 28

9th Aberdeen 23 6 8 9 29 34 -5 26

10th Hibs 23 6 7 10 24 36 -12 25

11th Dundee 23 4 2 17 24 43 -19 14

12th St. Johnstone 23 2 3 18 9 63 -54 9

</pre>

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Tuesday 26th April 2011

County wrap up 4th title in 5 years before league split

Hamish Brodie reports:

It was an unimpressive scoreline and a somewhat disappointing game, but 3 points were all that Ross County wanted tonight from their home match against Motherwell to retain their SPL title before the league split. Ultimately, despite 14 shots on goal, it was a Nick James penalty in the 43rd minute which secured a 1-0 victory for the champions. Motherwell failed to create a chance throughout the game, meaning County never needed to hit even 2nd gear.

FT: Ross County 1-0 Motherwell

With Falkirk's recent loss in form and 9 wins in a row for Ross County, the destiny of the league title was already a foregone conclusion before tonight's match despite that run coming to a surprise end with a 1-1 home draw with Dundee. County's season is now all but over as regards important matches with the FA Cup final to be contested between Dundee and Aberdeen and with Europe long over for the Dingwall side. However there are still records to be broken if the Ross County players can keep the motivation to continue winning as the league heads into the last 5 matches.

Holders - Ross County

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st C Ross County 33 28 2 3 87 22 +65 86

2nd Falkirk 33 21 7 5 66 33 +33 70

3rd Celtic 33 16 8 9 69 38 +31 56

4th Motherwell 33 13 12 8 61 44 +17 51

5th Kilmarnock 33 12 8 13 43 49 -6 44

6th Rangers 33 12 7 14 57 64 -7 43

7th Hibs 33 10 10 13 38 48 -10 40

8th Aberdeen 33 9 11 13 47 49 -2 38

9th Livingston 33 10 7 16 37 54 -17 37

10th Dundee Utd 33 9 10 14 43 64 -21 37

11th Dundee 33 9 5 19 43 53 -10 32

12th R St. Johnstone 33 3 5 25 17 90 -73 14

</pre>

Interview from the Dingwall Times on Saturday 20th August 2011

Ross County manager Adam Eckersley speaks out on strikers, Europe and Scottish football

Hamish Brodie reports:

Hamish: Well, another season upon us Adam, your 8th in charge of Ross County. Did you ever imagine you'd still be here on that day 8 years ago at Gretna?

Adam: (laughs) I wasn't sure I'd still be here after 10 games, that day at Gretna, never mind 8 years later. We have succeeded beyond my wildest dreams so far and I want that to continue. Of course both myself and Archie were realistic when he appointed me and all our drink-fuelled talk the night before about winning the European cup with a team of Scots was just a dream that neither of us could see coming true during our lifetimes at least. It may not do so, but we are closer than I thought we would be now.

Hamish: We're 2 games into the new season - you must be very happy so far with 2 wins out of 2?

Adam: Yes, it's been a solid start, but we can't get too carried away. I am pleased with today's 1-3 win at Motherwell though - we have often struggled here and it is good to get an unbeaten start rather than the kind of start we had in previous seasons. I have no idea who will be our main challengers this season, but whoever it is, we have to concentrate on ourselves anyway and render it irrelevent who is 2nd. It will be interesting to see if Falkirk can repeat their success of last season as the clear 2nd team in Scotland or whether the Old Firm can recover and challenge again.

Hamish: 4 goals in 2 games so far for Alan Reid - it seems the youngster can do no wrong at the moment wherever you play him!

Adam: Yeah, he's a great young lad - one of the most talented our youth system has ever produced. He was a revelation on the right wing last season and for the start of this season I moved him infield to the attacking midfield role because Ross (O'Donoghue) is suspended and to score 4 goals in the opening 2 games is amazing! David (Winters) is happy too to be back on the right wing for now! I'm not sure what I'll do when Ross returns!

Hamish: Many people are saying that the club is lacking strikers now with 4 having left in the summer and none having arrived. Are you concerned about your options upfront?

Adam: I don't think it's as big an issue as some in the press are making out Hamish; It's certainly true that Mark McColl, Mark Burchill and Stephen Dobbie all left in the summer and Steven McGarry retired, but of those only McColl played many games. We do lack some depth now, but a few seasons ago we retrained Mark McGlynn to be able to play as a forward also even though he has continued as a centre-back since - now we have moved him upfront as we have more options at the back. We've also chosen to promote Jim Gibson from the U19s - he came through our youth system a couple of years ago and I want to see how he can do now. I may look to sign a striker in the January transfer window, but only if there is a good, affordable Scot who I feel is better than what we already have. We are very much a team were goals come from everywhere, hence Alan's recent goals and we play down the wings mostly with the midfield coming forward to put away chances also so it isn't as if we rely totally on our strikers for goals.

Hamish: You're in the Champions League again this season. What are your hopes there now?

Adam: Well, as I say every season, the league is our priority, but after that Europe is definitely the aim for this season now that we have two domestic cups under our belts. A lot depends on our group draw again. Whilst I hope we are improving I think our improvement is slowing a lot now because we have hit a high level, but the top clubs in Europe are at that level and higher so whether we can get through our group or not remains to be seen. If we can then who knows what will come in a knock-out scenario? We have always been good at home, but can be a bit dodgy away so we generally have to get a good few goals advantage if we play at home first. I'd like to make the semi-finals, but if we qualify from our group again I'll be happy.

Hamish: How do you see the overall state of Scottish football currently?

Adam: It's difficult to judge. I think we have seen a changing of the guard over recent years. Rangers are an enigma - they totally annhilated everyone to win the title two years ago, but then finished only 7th and 6th in the last two seasons and in fact with fewer points last season than when they finished 7th. Celtic have always been there or thereabouts, but I think they change manager too often - they haven't won the title for the last 5 seasons which obviously isn't good enough for their fans, but I think they need stability to get back up to challenge us again. I think they will bounce back though - they have too much quality and too big a fan base not to. Livingston did Scotland proud where we failed last season in Europe. Their 0-3 win away to Bayern Munich sent shockwaves around the whole of the European football world I think and it was fantastic for them to qualify for the second round and they were only narrowly beaten by Dinamo Kiev - it's a shame for them that their domestic form wasn't up to par and they aren't in Europe at all this season. Falkirk had a dream season last year in just their second season, reaching the league cup final, doing well in the UEFA Cup and finishing 2nd in the SPL - I hope they can continue that because it's great to see the smaller clubs doing well. As for the rest, we'll have to see who can come out of the pack to challenge - we have 7 places in Europe this season so I hope as a nationthat we can do well. Of course, as a Hibernian fan I hope they do well, but they have struggled in recent seasons.

Hamish: Would you ever be tempted to take the Hibernian job if it became availabe?

Adam: Hamish, Hamish!! It's not like you to enter into the national media type job speculation! Just looking at their stats, they have been remarkably consistent over the last 8 seasons, finishing 6th - 10th with 40-54 points. I would love to see them higher up the league as a fan and I'd love them to be up there challenging us for the title. Do I want the job? I'm happy at Ross County and I can't manage 2 clubs so unless Archie wants rid of me it's not an issue at all icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by glamdring on 15 March 2004 at 11:23.]

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Saturday 12th November 2011

31 unbeaten for rampant County

Hamish Brodie reports:

Ross County extended their unbeaten league run to an astonishing 31 games at Tannadice today in what has to rank as one of their finest performances ever in domestic football. Dundee Utd were unimpressive, but Ross County didn't allow the home side to get into their stride as they swept them aside with wave after wave of clinical attacks.

Ross O'Donoghue opened the scoring on 13 minutes with a neat finish from Keigan Parker's cross before Neil Armstrong headed in from a corner to equalise for Dundee United. 12 minutes later and County put together a superb move, starting with a Kerr Dodds throw-in almost at his own corner flag and culminating with Ross O'Donoughue firing a David Winters cross past Utd 'keeper Peter Ryan. Graham Weir missed a penalty for Dundee United 15 minutes before half-time before Mark McGlynn tucked away a Richard Rhodes cross to send County in 1-3 up at half time.

Into the second half, Ross County took complete control as David Dunne won the ball from the Utd kick off and fed John Rankin, Rankin found O'Donoghue who slid the ball to Mark McGlynn for the striker to slot home his second of the game. With 55 minutes gone, David Winters played a long ball over the top of the Utd defence for McGlynn to race onto and complete his hat-trick. O'Donoghue clearly didn't want to be left out and 5 minutes later, McGlynn crossed, MacSween gathered the ball, pulled it back for O'Donoghue and the midfielder, back in the side due to injury to Alan Reid continued his magnificent form adding his second hat-trick in 4 days after his man of the match performance against Manchester United. Stephen O'Donnell pulled one back for Utd with a cool finish on 68 minutes before County wrapped up the win with McGlynn's 4th of the afternoon from a Keigan Parker cross.

FT: Dundee United 2-7 Ross County

Armstrong 20 O'Donoghue 13, 32, 61

O'Donnell 68 McGlynn 36, 46, 56, 79

Weir m/pen 35

</pre>

Rangers' 0-0 draw at Aberdeen sees them remain 2nd, with Falkirk moving 3rd with a 0-2 win at Hibernian thanks to two Danny Invincible goals. Livingston's 0-0 draw with Dundee sees them move 4th with Celtic, who play tomorrow dropping 2 places to 5th. Without wishing to jinx the team, the title looks a foregone conclusion now for a rampant Ross County team.

Holders - Ross County

1st Ross County 12 11 1 0 40 9 +31 34

2nd Rangers 12 6 3 3 19 16 +3 21

3rd Falkirk 12 6 2 4 17 12 +5 20

4th Livingston 12 5 3 4 16 14 +2 18

5th Celtic 11 5 2 4 19 14 +5 17

6th Dundee Utd 12 5 1 6 15 28 -13 16

7th Kilmarnock 11 4 3 4 16 14 +2 15

8th Hearts 11 3 4 4 12 16 -4 13

9th Motherwell 11 3 3 5 10 16 -6 12

10th Dundee 12 3 2 7 18 20 -2 11

11th Hibernian 12 3 1 8 13 24 -11 10

12th Aberdeen 12 3 1 8 11 23 -12 10

</pre>

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Saturday 7th January 2012

County march on, unbeaten in over a year as Dons hit rock bottom.

Hamish Brodie reports:

On New Years day 2011, Ross County headed to Falkirk for a top of the table clash, 4 points clear. The result on that day was Falkirk 3-1 Ross County as County's lead was cut to a single point. A week later, County bounced back with a 4-1 thumping of Hibernian. Today, Ross County beat Aberdeen 3-0 to make it an amazing 38 games - an entire season, albeit split across 2 seasons - unbeaten as they continue to march on to their 3rd consecutive SPL title and their 5th in 6 years.

It hasn't all been plain sailing, especially in recent weeks with equalisers in the last 5 minutes at home to Dundee and away to Kilmarnock and a fight back by Hearts from 0-2 down to 2-2 almost bringing to an end County's long unbeaten league record. Today, however, there was no stopping Ross County as they powered past Aberdeen for their 38th game unbeaten with 2 goals from Ian MacSween and one from Paul Harris.

FT: Ross County 3-0 Aberdeen

New Aberdeen manager Francesco Coco has a lot to do as Hibernian's 3-0 win over Hearts sees the Hibees move off the bottom on goal difference above Aberdeen. Falkirk's 4-0 win over Kilmarnock sees them cement 2nd place further. Ross County can now look forward to the FA Cup 3rd round tie at Brechin and a crucial double-header against Borrussia Dortmund at the end of February and start of March. Their only defeat domestically so far this season has seen then relinquish the League Cup title they won last season with Falkirk avenging their defeat in last year's final.

Saturday 14th January 2012

I guess it's about time I brought my diaries up to date with news of our European campaign so far this season. With league form continuing as impressively as last season, it was to Europe that we turned our focus, attempting to bounce back from the disappointment of last season by qualifying from the group stage this season. The draw brought mixed news, pitting us again with Manchester United, Porto and Levski Sofia completing our trio of opponents. Manchester United beat us at Old Trafford and drew at Victoria Park last season and would be an obvious threat, while Levski Sofia were a bit of an unknown quantity, but had to be taken seriously as many of the Eastern European teams have picked up excellent results in Europe of late. FC Porto still have some superb players, in particular Deco, and while they may be an ageing squad they clearly have the ability to beat some of the best teams in Europe.

Our European adventure for this season began with the visit of Bulgarian side Levski Sofia to Victoria Park back in September. Second half goals from Mark McGlynn and Richard Rhodes saw us through to a slightly edgy early on, but ultimately quite comfortable victory whilst Manchester United squeezed past Porto 2-1 at Old Trafford. At the start of October, Manchester United headed to Bulgaria and came away with a point from a tight 1-1 draw. In Portugal we were 0-2 infront by the hour with goals from Richard Rhodes and Alan Reid and despite Ricardo scoring on 67 minutes we held on for a crucial 3 points away from home to top the group. October drew to a close with Levski Sofia coming from behind to secure a somewhat fortuitous 1-2 win in Porto, leaving the Portuguese side all but out of the competition. Meanwhile, in Manchester we began the first half badly and got worse. Andrés D'Alessandro on 11 minutes, Cristiano Ronaldo on 26 and Ruud van Nistelrooij on 19 and 34 sent us in shell-shocked and 4-0 down at half time. After I gave the lads a roasting during the break we looked a different team and took the game to Manchester Utd, young Alan Reid enhancing his growing reputation by netting twice from midfield for a respectable full time score of 4-2 to Man Utd.

The reverse fixtures began in November as Manchester United headed across the border and up the A9 to Dingwall. With Alan Reid out injured, Ross O'Donoghue returned to the starting line-up and showed us that anything the youngster can do he can do equally well, slotting a brilliant hat-trick after Nick James had given us the lead from the penalty spot. Damien Duff netted for Manchester on 21 minutes, but there was no stopping us cruising to a 4-1 victory. Whilst Champions League group matches are of course individual matches rather than over 2 legs, it wasn't lost on us that had this been a 2-leg tie, having gone 4-0 down we had come back and would have won on aggregate - that fact also meaning that should we finish level on points with Utd, we would be above them. In Sofia, Levski produced another late show to come from 1-2 down for a 3-2 win that saw them move level with Manchester United in the group. November came to and end with Manchester United drawing 2-2 in Porto whilst we travelled to Bulgaria for a surprisingly easy win as Nick James, Alan Reid and Mark McGlynn all found the net in the first half without reply. Manchester United's point in Porto meant that they went into the final group game a point clear of Levski Sofia, with the Bulgarians due at Old Trafford for the last match. Porto, already eliminated came to Dingwall as we celebrated having already won the group. In a shock result, Levski weathered a Utd storm to score either side of van Nistelrooij's equaliser and send the Manchester side crashing into the UEFA Cup as they joined us in the 2nd Round of the Champions Cup. Up here in Dingwall, we ran riot with goals from John Rankin, Nick James and Alan Reid putting us 3-0 up before Hugo Almeida scored twice in the last 5 minutes to set up a slightly tense end before Reid bagged our 4th in injury time.

To win our group was great, but looking at the qualifiers from the other groups, it didn't give us any obvious advantage as regards who we might face in Round 2 with some surprise group winners heading off bigger names into the knock-out stages. Of particular note to us, PSV Eindhoven beat Newcastle 2-0 in their final group game to leapfrog the Tynesiders into 2nd where they could potentially provide our Round 2 opposition. As it was, we were drawn against Borrussia Dortmund with PSV to face Bayern Munich. The draw in full was:

Arsenal vs Benfica

Chelsea vs Olympiakos

Dinamo Kiev vs Milan

Dortmund vs Ross County

Levski Sofia vs Juventus

PSV vs Bayern Munich

Real Sociedad vs Inter

Roma vs Shakhtar Donetsk

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Wednesday 14th March 2012

Winters downs Dortmund in sensational finale

Hamish Brodie reports:

21,955 fans packed into the recently extended Victoria Park for what turned out to be the most dramatic night of European football Dingwall has seen as Borrussia Dortmund came protecting a 1-0 lead from the first leg 2 weeks ago. Dortmund had outclassed County in large spells in the first leg with some truly brilliant passing, but only managed a 1-0 lead thanks to a Nick James error letting in Ewerthon. County knew it would be very tough for the return leg with Dortmund needing just a single goal to leave County needing 3.

In a tense first half both sides created a few chances, but as the match headed towards half time it looked like it would be 0-0 at the break. Then, in the 2nd minute of first half injury time, David Dunne rampaged down the left wing and floated in a beautiful cross onto the head of David Winters just inside the area, the winger's bullet header beating Dortmund 'keeper Roman Weidenfeller to send County in 1-0 up on the night and 1-1 on aggregate.

The second half was even more tense than the first with the County faithful roaring their team forward, but Dortmund were looking dangerous on the break. With just 20 minutes left and manager Adam Eckersley having made a bold move, throwing on Ross O'Donoghue in place of David Dunne to switch to 3 at the back and a morass of attacking players, Dortmund broke again...Iliev's cross was cleared away by the County defence, but only as far as Dortmund playmaker Tomas Rosicky who blasted in a delicious volley from the edge of the area to give Dortmund the crucial away goal and a 1-2 lead on aggregate.

County were now piling forward with nothing to lose and leaving themselves open at the back. With just 6 minutes remaining there was a glimmer of hope for the home faithful as Mark McGlynn, returned to centre-back for this important match due to John MacDonald's suspension, floated a perfect ball over the top of the Dortmund defence into the path of substitute Ross O'Donoghue who slotted neatly past the 'keeper. So it was that we were left with a frantic and frenetic finish - County knowing they needed another goal and Dortmund knowing they just had to hang on and that a breakaway 2nd would kill the tie.

Heading into the 94th minute, the small section of Dortmund fans were howling at the referee to blow the full time whistle as the home fans, biting their nails awaited the inevitable shrill of the whistle to signal the end of their hopes for another year. It wasn't to come just yet however and County had time for one last attack. Keigan Parker collected the ball in midfield and pulled wide right, taking 3 Dortmund defenders with him before whipping in a deflected cross which Dédé fatally missed and David Winters whipped in to fire past the helpless German goalkeeper for the most dramatic finish County have ever seen to such an important match. Despair turned to ecstacy as the home fans raised the roof with their cheers and the away fans knew that was it - the final kick of the game as the referee put the whistle to his lips. With just 7 minutes to go and needing 2 goals against a worldclass side, not even the most optimistic Ross County fan could have believed his side could win this tie, but the team on the pitch refused to give up as Eckersley's bold tactics paid dividends with David Winters the hero with late goals in each half - so often this season the youngsters Alan Reid, Richard Rhodes and Nick James have starred, but today was a day for the experienced heads, Winters at 29 now knows he is approaching the end of his first team career at the top level and clearly wants a European Cup winners medal.

Ross County fans will now await the draw for the Quarter-finals eagerly and won't have failed to notice that Bayern Munich were also dumped out by our old nemesis PSV Eindhoven...could it just be that we are fated to meet them in the Quarter-finals for a 3rd time in 4 years? Other results of note include Levski Sofia, 2nd in Ross County's group comfortably beating Juventus, Olympiakos seeing off Chelsea and Ukrainians Dinamo Kiev surviving a penalty shootout to defeat Milan. Holders Roma eased through with a 4-1 win on the night and on aggregate against Shakhtar Donetsk.

FT: Ross County 3-1 Borrussia Dortmund (3-2)

Full results:

Benfica 1-0 Arsenal (1-2)

FC Bayern 2-2 PSV (2-3)

Juventus 1-2 Levski Sofia (1-4)

Milan 0-0 Dinamo Kiev (p) (0-0)

Olympiakos 2-1 Chelsea (3-2)

Ross County 3-1 Dortmund (3-2)

Shakhtar 1-4 Roma (1-4)

Wednesday 18th April 2012

Well, it's been a superb season for us domestically. Our 2-4 win at Easter Road tonight gave us our 3rd consecutive title and 5th in 6 seasons. I was surprised how easy it was, but we do have some truly talented players now and a great deal of consistency throughout the side. I moved Mark McGlynn forward to play upfront this season with John MacDonald finally blossoming to get his full first team chance, having come through our youth system in my first season and played some in the First Division for us before returning to the U19s and Reserves to develop further. For the past 5 seasons though before this one our back 4 has been the same throughout except for occasional injuries or suspensions.

David Dunne came through our youth system in the summer of 2005 and quickly made the left-back position his own and apart from being dropped to the bench for a spell when his form dropped one season he has played there throughout and is also first choice for Scotland at left-back. He now has 283(7) appearances for Ross County with 6 goals and 66 assists as well as 9 caps for Scotland. At right-back, one of the very first names on every team sheet I have made and never contested, Kerr Dodds was a youth product of Ross County before I arrived and now at 26 has played his entire career for us. Acknowledged by many of his team-mates as a very talented player, Kerr is now in his 8th full season having played a few games in my first season as manager and has made more appearances than any other player for me with 365(2) games, scoring 15 goals and creating 32 assists - a surprisingly low amount for such a good player, but he is constantly involved in play in the earlier build-up to goals and breaking down opposition attacks - Bank of Scotland stats people estimate him to have averaged 5-6 tackles per game each season as well as 2-3 dribbling runs per game. He also has 17 caps for Scotland and is one of 5 Ross County players fighting for the 4 defensive positions internationally.

Our rock at the back for the last 8 seasons since he broke into our side as a 15 year old, having come through the youth setup, is Nick James, possibly the most talented player Scotland has currently, although he doesn't get the recognition that more attacking players get. Nick has performed to a consistently very high level in his 8 seasons and is one of the biggest reasons for our success. His 5 year partnership with Mark McGlynn in the centre of defence for us was something quite special, seeing off the likes of Newcastle United, Arsenal and Bayern Munich amongst others in crucial Champions League matches. This season he is performing even better than previously alongside new defensive partner John MacDonald with whom I hope he can develop an equally solid partnership. Sharing penalty-taking duties with Keigan Parker, Nick has managed an impressive 47 goals with 26 assists from his 339(2) appearances for Ross County with 11 goals and 11 assists so far this season alone. A regular at the heart of the Scotland defence with his Ross County team-mates, Nick already has 31 caps and 6 goals to his name at the still very young age of 23.

John MacDonald has been more of a late blossomer, now 25, but it is a tribute to his work rate and determination that having played 25 games in his first season out of the youth system, he found himself out of favour as we arrived in the SPL, but he still kept at it. 3 seasons of hard work for the Reserves paid off as he started to feature regularly again in the first team in the 2008-9 season, challenging David Dunne at left-back as well as filling in at centre-back when needed. John made relatively few appearences in the first team again last season, but is now firmly established as our first choice central-defensive partner for Nick James and has 159(6) appearances with 10 goals and 12 assists to his name. John has also just broken into the Scotland squad, but was bitterly disappointed as injury forced him to withdraw from his first call-up. We all hope that he will be called up again for the next squad.

Well, having talked far more about the consistency of our defence than I intended to I should update on our season. I feel that was an important diversion though as it is one of the biggest reasons for our success, together with the consistency and loyalty on other areas of the pitch too. Whilst Celtic and Rangers seem to change managers constantly and bring in a number of Johnny come lately foreigners to fill their positions each season and flounder through doing so, we have a great team spirit and I am loyal to my players and they to me.

A run of 9 straight wins in the league eased us towards the title and our second defeat of the season to Glasgow Rangers did little to halt us as we bounced back tonight to mathematically secure the title with 6 games still to play. The Scottish FA Cup this season has been full of upsets, seeing 3 lower division teams make the semi-finals together with ourselves. We avenged our league cup defeat to Falkirk by beating them 1-5 at their place before squeezing past St. Mirren in the semis to setup a final against giant killers Albion Rovers who thrashed Celtic 4-0, Dundee United 4-1 and Livingston 3-0 on their way to a 3-1 semi-final victory over Forfar. We are red hot favourites to win the final, but with form like that we have to be very wary of Albion Rovers.

Finally, we have Europe of course. The draw for the Quarter-finals saw us paired with Olympiakos. A 1-2 win in Greece put us in pole position for the return leg. A position which we did our best to throw away as the Greeks took an early lead in Dingwall and scored a late 2nd after Richard Rhodes had equalised for us, to send the game into extra-time. A "silver goal" from from Ian MacSween saw us unimpressively to victory, but the result is all that counts and we now face Levski Sofia again in the semi-finals after the Bulgarians narrowly beat Dinamo Kiev. Having beaten them twice in the group stages we should have nothing to fear, but must still be wary of the side who put Juventus out. In the other semi-final, PSV will play Inter who put out holders Roma. I would love to meet PSV in the final, but if we do get there it is more likely that we will face Inter.

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Wednesday 9th May 2012

Inter Milan await brave County

Hamish Brodie reports:

Wednesday 30th May 2012 will be an historic day in Ross County's history as the Dingwall side compete in their first ever European final having breezed past Bulgarian champions Levski Sofia with a 1-2 win in tonight's match in Sofia, 1-4 on aggregate. Disappointingly for Ross County manager and long time PSV Eindhoven fan Adam Eckersley, it will be against Inter Milan that they will contest the final after the Italians drew 0-0 in Eindhoven, Martins' goal from the first leg being enough to send the Italians through.

County came to Bulgaria protecting a 2-0 lead from Victoria Park given them by Ian MacSween and Mark McGlynn. It wasn't all plain sailing as Borislav Dimitrov sent the Bulgarians in 1-0 up at the break, but when Keigan Parker broke upfield from a Levski attack and found Mark McGlynn in acres of space the tie was effectively over as McGlynn slotted past the 'keeper. Ross O'Donoghue secured the win on the night with a goal in the 86th minute.

There was heartbreak however for David Dunne and Paul Harris, two young players who came through the Ross County youth system (Harris also born in Dingwall) as both received yellow cards which see them pick up an automatic 1 match ban keeping them out of the Champions League final. Both players were distraught at the end of the game as the celebrations began for County. Their team-mates did their best to console them, but for 2 young players to miss out on the biggest game in their club's history is a bitter pill for them to swallow and Dunne in particular will be a big loss for County in the final.

FT: Levski Sofia 1-2 Ross County (1-4)

Match report from the Dingwall Times on Saturday 26th May 2012

Disaster for County as Albion Rovers stun champions

Hamish Brodie reports:

Ross County were hugely disappointing in today's cup final and were deservedly beaten by 1st Division giant-killers Albion Rovers who took the lead through Iain Diack on 19 minutes before Ross O'Donoghue curled in a perfect freekick to send the teams in level at 1-1. Into the second half however the underdogs took control as Eddie Nelson gave them the lead and Chris Butler confirmed the win in injury time.

FT: Ross County 1-3 Albion Rovers

County perhaps had an eye on Wednesday's European Cup final, but this is far from the best preperation for that match and the worst news of the day was an injury to full-back Kerr Dodds who will be out for 2 months and will miss the Champions League final. Manager Adam Eckersley admitted that the defeat bothered him far less than Kerr's injury - "This is disastrous for us, of course we'll still give everything we can against Inter, but to lose such an important player is a massive blow, especially with our other 1st choice full-back David Dunne suspended also. I'll have to re-arrange things and see what we can do, but Kerr is the first name on my team sheet every week and he is gutted at missing such a big game having played more games for me than any other player."

Conversational interlude between Adam Eckersley and Assistant Manager Stanislav Varga at the Ross County training ground on Tuesday 29th May 2012

Adam: Ok, lets have a see what we've got for our team selection then. I guess it will be a lot easier than it would have been with everyone fit, but I'd rather have that selection problem

Adam: Craig (Samson) in goal of course - you're agreed on that?

Stanislav: Yeah, Daniel (Freeman) has done well for us, but I know Craig is your favourite

Adam: He's been with us since our First Division days and he is still our best 'keeper for sure and fully recovered from his injury now.

Adam: Ok, I guess we should look at left-back next since we don't have much choice there. It's basically either throw in Stevie Taylor or move John (MacDonald) across to the left...

Stanislav: I don't think there's any option really - Stevie just doesn't have the experience. Chances are Inter will have Andy van der Meyde on the right wing and he's world class, Stevie has only played 3 times in the last 3 seasons for us and John is a very solid player and is as good a left-back as David (Dunne) I think.

Adam: Yep, you're right - it won't weaken us at left-back, but it gives us problems in the centre...I guess we should settle on right-back first though and then consider the centre. Without Kerr it's got to be either Alan (Reid) or Mark (McGlynn). I'd have preferred to have both playing elsewhere in the team, but there's no choice.

Stanislav: Well, Alan has been playing there for us when Kerr was injured recently so I guess I'd favour him for that position tomorrow. Inter are likely to have Emre on that side aren't they?

Adam: They did against PSV, but I don't think it makes much difference - both Alan and Mark are very pacey. The issue I guess is do we want to drop Mark back into the centre of defence? I think that would be best even though it leaves us without a target-man upfront. That would settle the whole back line in one go...

Stanislav: Yeah, I think that would be best - with key players out I think it would be wise to bring Mark back to partner Nick (James) since they've played together so successfully in the past. Alan should do fine at right-back although I know you want him further forward.

Adam: Aye, but our hands are tied really with Kerr missing - I can't be too fussy about it - it makes team selection further forward easier as well and I think Alan might have started on the bench otherwise anyway.

Adam: OK, left wing next, nice and easy - Richard Rhodes, no question.

Stanislav: For sure, no arguments there. Right wing I assume is David Winters?

Adam: Yep, again no question since Alan is already selected anyway. Central midfield is pretty obvious too now with Paul (Harris) suspended and again Alan not an option. Ross (O'Donoghue) and John (Rankin)?

Stanislav: Definitely - they'll add the experience we need in the midfield.

Adam: So that just leaves the strikers and again options are a bit limited with Mark (McGlynn) back in defence and Ian (MacSween) out injured...bah! It's so frustrating for some of our best players to miss such a big day icon_frown.gif

Stanislav: Yeah, they're all disappointed, but if we can win it for them it will at least be a consolation for them not taking part. I assume you want Keigan (Parker) upfront?

Adam: Yup, he's definitely first choice. Question is who to play alongside him...?

Stanislav: Well the options are James Graham, Jim Gibson or Andy Williams unless you want to look at one of our U19s or re-consider Mark at the back...?

Adam: Hmm! They've only scored 2 goals between them...both for Jim...Steven (Davidson) hasn't really performed this season though at the back for us even though he is clearly talented - I don't think I'd be happy to throw him in at the back instead of Mark. I think it would be better if we have him on the bench so that we can always bring him on and push Mark upfront later if needed. For the start I guess I'd favour James even though he's done nothing for us so far when he's played...he's a good target-man and he scored quite a few for Wigan.

Stanislav: Yeah, I think that's the best we can do for now. I think Steven has the ability to play at the back against Inter if we need him as a sub.

Adam: Ok, that's decided then. Now for subs, although with so many out I reckon they'll pick themselves! Daniel (Freeman), Steven Davidson, Andy Williams and Jim Gibson...

Stanislav: Definitely...I reckon we should put Jamie (McCunnie) there too as well as young Michael Reid and I guess Stevie Taylor?

Adam: Aye, unless we want to dip into the reserves or U19s that's about the size of it! What about Stevie Kavanagh?

Stanislav: He's not played at all this season - I don't think he's worth the risk, Michael hasn't played much either, but at least a bit and he is creative if we need a midfield sub.

Adam: Ok, that's finalised then:

GK: Craig Samson (28)

DR: Alan Reid (19, 6 caps)

DL: John MacDonald (25, 1 U21 cap)

DC: Nick James (23, 31 caps/6 goals)

DC: Mark McGlynn (22, 30 caps/2 goals)

ML: Richard Rhodes (21, 1 cap, 19 U21 caps/19 goals)

MR: David Winters (30)

MC: Ross O'Donoghue (29)

MC: John Rankin (28)

SC: James Graham (24)

SC: Keigan Parker (29)

S1: Daniel Freeman - GK - (23, 10 U21 caps)

S2: Steven Davidson - D C - (23, 4 U21 caps)

S3: Steve Taylor - D L - (21, 19 U21 caps/3 goals)

S4: Jamie McCunnie - D RC - (29, 1 U21 cap)

S5: Michael Reid - D/M C - (20)

S6: Jim Gibson - S C - (21)

S7: Andy Williams - F C - (19, 10 U21 caps/4 goals)

Excerpts from BBC Radio 5 Live coverage of the Champions League Final with commentators Roddy Forsyth and Jonathan Pearce and expert summariser John Collins - Wednesday 30th May 2012

19:42

Jonathan Pearce: Welcome back to the Lerkendal Stadion here in Trondheim, where we are just 3 minutes from kick-off for the 2012 Champions Cup Final between the Scottish Champions Ross County and Italian giants Inter Milan. This compact stadium is packed out to capacity with the Ross County fans all in blue and white to our left with their Scottish flags, singing Flower of Scotland as they await their team. The Inter fans are away to our right...

And here come the two teams, Ross County in blue and white, Inter in their yellow and blue away kit...45 years ago, Glasgow Celtic travelled to Lisbon and won the European Cup with an all Scottish team and today Ross County look to emulate that great feat as manager Adam Eckersley as expected names an entirely Scottish first eleven and seven subs.

Ross County line up with a 4-4-2 formation, Craig Samson is the goalkeeper, John MacDonald is expected to play at left-back in the absence of the suspended David Dunne with the young goal scoring sensation Alan Reid dropping back into the right-back position due to the absence of the influential Kerr Dodds who limped off injured in Saturday's Scottish Cup Final. Nick James is as expected partnered by Mark McGlynn at the back with Richard Rhodes and David Winters on the wings. Ross O'Donoghue and John Rankin will form the midfield engine room for the SPL champions with Keigan Parker partnered upfront by surprise inclusion James Graham who has yet to score this season.

Inter to our right appear to be lining up with a 3-4-3 formation with Manuel Pazzi in goal, a back 3 of Jérémie Bréchet, the vastly experienced Iván Córdoba, now 36, and Thomas Facci. Across the midfield, Emre Belözoglu on the left, Andy van der Meyde on the right, with former Rangers midfielder Mikel Arteta and Yugoslav Dejan Stankovic in the centre. Upfront, we expect Pinga and Mohamed Kallon to play either side of the central striker Obefami Akinwunmi Martins, thankfully known as just Martins who has an impressive international goalscoring record with 59 goals from his 68 caps.

John, what do you think of Ross County's line-up?

John Collins: Well Jonathan, the only surprise is perhaps that James Graham is selected upfront, but I know Adam was a bit stuck for options with Ian MacSween disappointingly out injured. Of course Mark McGlynn has played upfront all season, but I guess Adam wanted to play him at the back because of his experience there over the past seasons with his two full-backs missing. It is a shame that 4 of County's big players are missing for today because it does leave the squad very threadbare, with midfield general Paul Harris suspended too.

Jonathan Pearce: And Inter, well their players need little introduction, but clearly Martins is their main man and County will have to keep a very close eye on him won't they?

John Collins: Definitely...it's a bold formation from Inter, their 3 upfront together with 2 wingers will cause the County back four problems and Martins is a huge threat with his goalscoring record. I do think County can worry Inter though if Richard Rhodes and David Winters can get forward and trouble the Inter back 3. It'll be an interesting battle of tactics certainly, but I think you have to fancy Inter, especially with County missing key players and with very little on the bench to really change things around if they need a boost later on.

19:45

Jonathan Pearce: Well, the teams are ready, Pinga and Martins in the centre circle ready to kick off this 2012 Champions League final...

19:47

Jonathan Pearce: Pinga now, strides forward down the left wing with Graham chasing back...Pinga cuts in field and he's still going, squares it and MARTINS...! Great save from Craig Samson and MacDonald clears hurredly and that'll be a throw-in to Inter on the County left.

John, that was a real chance for Inter?

John Collins: Phew, I thought that was a certain goal Jonathan...young Alan Reid was caught well out of position as Pinga ran into space and Martins should have put that away, but it was a good save by Craig. County will need to settle down though - they look edgy at the moment...

19:59

Jonathan Pearce: Stankovic now picks up the ball in midfield, lays it to Arteta...Arteta turns away from John Rankin and finds Emre....and that was a pretty weak effort from Emre, straight into the arms of Craig Samson

20:01

Jonathan Pearce: It's still 0-0 here in Trondheim for this showcase event of European football, between Ross County and Inter Milan...Inter having had slight the better of the play so far. And it's a goalkick now to Inter, Pazzi kicks upfield, looking for Pinga, but Alan Reid is there first to head back to McGlynn...Oh, but McGlynn has missed it and Martins is clear now...!! It's Martins, one on one with Craig Samson...and that's an excellent save from Samson and it'll be a corner to Inter.

John, Martins should surely have done better with that effort shouldn't he?

John Collins: Well, I can't believe a player of his ability didn't hit the target there - it was a good save from Craig, but Martins is an international striker with almost 60 goals to his name - he should have buried that. Bad mistake there though from Mark McGlynn...he doesn't want to let Martins get in behind him like that again because next time County won't be so lucky...

20:02

Jonathan Pearce: So, it'll be Emre to take the corner for Inter, Facci and Bréchét are up from the back, jostling for position in the penalty area...Emre whips it in and gets the ball back from Kallon I think it was...Emre puts it in again and it's been sliced behind for a corner on the County left...that was a badly sliced clearance that could have gone anywhere - I think it was McGlynn again...

Emre runs up to take the next corner, straight onto the head of MacDonald, but his header only finds Stankovic who brings the ball forward again...and that's an excellent tackle from MacDonald - Stankovic dwelt too long on the ball and MacDonald clears the danger down the line...

20:11

Jonathan Pearce: Offside flag up on the far side against Pinga...McGlynn takes the freekick and fires it upfield looking for Keigan Parker...but that's a push on John Rankin by Iván Córdóba right on the edge of the Inter box - it'll be a freekick to County...

20:12

Jonathan Pearce: It's a freekick to Ross County, about 20 yards out and plum centre. This is a real chance for the Scottish champions having been under the cosh for much of the match so far. It'll be Ross O'Donoghue to strike the freekick, right footed...O'Donoghue runs up and strikes the freekick around the wall and INTO THE NET!!!!!!!!!! What a superb freekick from Ross O'Donoghue!!! He curled it exquisitely around the 5 man wall and into the bottom right corner...Pazzi had no chance at all...and Ross County have the lead in the European Cup final!! It's Ross County 1, Inter Milan 0...

John...

John: Oooh Jonathan, that was a sweetly struck freekick from O'Donoghue. He's netted a few freekicks this season...I remember a similar one against Manchester United, but that was absolutely fantastic!! I can't quite believe this...the Ross County fans are going wild away to our left - you have to say Jonathan it's against the run of play, but ooh, what a strike!!

20:15

Jonathan Pearce: O'Donoghue now wins the ball fairly according to the referee, but it's run free and Emre is after it...McGlynn beats Emre to the ball and clears, straight to Arteta...Arteta now, turns, looks up and comes forward...it's still Mikel Arteta and the spaniard fires one in from distance, but that's gone high, wide and handsome.

20:18

Jonathan Pearce: Emre now, heads the ball to Pinga who comes away down the left...Pinga cuts inside and sends in the cross...and that's a foul on Andy van der Meyde by Richard Rhodes and it'll be a freekick to Inter in a very dangerous position...almost identical to where O'Donoghue scored from at the other end...

John, that was a bad tackle from the young winger...?

John: Aye, it was a winger's tackle I think Jonathan...good to see him tracking back there, but County can't afford to be giving away freekicks in such dangerous positions - Inter have a number of deadball specialists, every bit as good as O'Donoghue...

Jonathan Pearce: It'll be Andy van der Meyde to take the freekick...van der Meyde runs up...and that was a total waste of a freekick - he shanked it well left of the wall and it carried on left well wide of Craig Samson's goal. That was a real let-off for County...

20:26

Jonathan Pearce: We're into the last 5 minutes of the first half now, and it's a corner to Inter, Emre looking to find Inter's tall centre-backs, up for the corner...and that's FACCI!!! And a magnificent pointblank save by Craig Samson from Facci's header...and it's scrambled away by Mark McGlynn, only as far as Emre again...Emre plays it all the way back to Arteta in the right-back position. Arteta plays the ball forward for Facci, the centre-back still forward from the corner...Facci and Arteta with a one-two, back to Arteta...Arteta looks for Bréchét in the centre, Bréchét gives it to Emre...and the Turkish player fires it well high and wide over Samson's bar.

20:33

Jonathan Pearce: And there goes the half-time whistle and Ross County, somewhat against the run of play lead Inter Milan by a goal to nil here in Trondheim...it was Ross O'Donoghue with an exquisite freekick who gave County the lead after a push on John Rankin just outside the box, but Inter really should have been ahead early on and should have scored in the 42nd minute when Facci headed straight at Craig Samson from 6 yards out.

John, your thoughts on the first half?

John Collins: Well Jonathan, it's great to see County going in a goal up at the break, but you're right - they really did ride their luck in that first half and could easily be 2-1 or even 3-1 down if it hadn't been for Craig Samson who has been fantastic so far. I think you've said all that needs to be said about the goal - a peach of a strike around the wall from O'Donoghue and lets hope County can hang on or maybe even score a second in the 2nd half. I fear Inter will score at least one so I think County really need another - they haven't had too many chances so far though and James Graham has been almost totally anonymous upfront so far...

20:49

Jonathan Pearce: Welcome back then for the second half of the European Cup final here at the Lerkendal Stadion in Trondheim - Ross County leading Inter Milan by one goal to nil, thanks to Ross O'Donoghue's freekick in the 27th minute. There don't appear to be any changes to the line-ups for the second half...it'll be James Graham and Keigan Parker to get us underway...and we're off for the second half...

20:56

Jonathan Pearce: Winters now, gets away from Bréchét down the right and cuts infield, this is a real chance for County...it's still Winters now, into the box and squares it from the right, but he's missed everyone in the centre, Rhodes just couldn't quite get on the end of the cross...Parker picks the ball up on the left of the Inter penalty area, turns and plays a great ball back to O'DONOGHUE...!! But the midfielder dwelt too long on that shot and it was an easy save in the end for Pazzi in the inter goal.

That was a real chance for County John...?

John Collins: That was great play by David Winters, doing what he does best, skinning the full-back down the right, cutting infield and delivering a fizzing cross, but unfortunately it was too hard for anyone to get on the end of. In the end O'Donoghue just took too long trying to place his shot - he should have just blasted it first time when he received from Parker. Promising signs for Ross County though early in the second half...

20:57

Jonathan Pearce: Pazzi now takes the goalkick and finds Arteta in the midfield, Arteta lays it wide to Stankovic on the left, but the Yugoslav loses out to Alan Reid - that'll be a throw-in for Inter...

Bréchét with the throw-in, looks for Stankovic, but Reid again rises to win the ball and heads it on to James Graham...but Graham has lost the ball to Emre and Pinga picks up the loose ball now...Pinga comes forward, finds Martins and the Nigerian slides the ball on, looking for Kallon, but only finds MacDonald...but that's an awful piece of ball watching from MacDonald and Kallon is in...oh, but that's a great interception and clearance from Mark McGlynn just as Kallon prepared to unleash a shot. Arteta now picks up the ball on the egde of the County area and pulls wide, he has Kallon and Martins in the centre...and Arteta gets the cross in, McGlynn misses it and it's a free shot for MOHAMED KALLON!!!!! Oh NO!!! A great finish from Kallon, but that was an error from McGlynn, he should have picked up Kallon there. It's 53 minutes gone and it's game on again - Ross County 1 Inter Milan 1, Mohamed Kallon with the Inter equaliser!

John, that was a disappointing goal to concede for County?

John Collins: Och, yeah, Mark won't want to see that again, but it wasn't just his fault, MacDonald should have closed down Arteta faster rather than allowing him to pick out his cross. All credit to Kallon though - he got in there ahead of McGlynn and it was a neat finish. I don't think Samson could have done much about that at all. Well, I feared this might happen - County really have to get themselves back together now because Inter look really fired up now.

21:02

Jonathan Pearce: Well, Ross County are making a substitution here, in the 58th minute - no real surprise in that James Graham is coming off - it was a gamble perhaps to play him, but without MacSween and with McGlynn back in defence manager Adam Eckersley had little choice. It looks like young Andy Williams coming on - this will be a huge moment for the former Stranraer striker - he's only made 6 starts and 2 substitute appearances so far this season and is yet to score a goal, but he is a talented young forward.

John, what do you make of the substitution?

John Collins: I think it was inevitable that Graham would be taken off Jonathan - he just hasn't looked enough of a threat at all today. Andy will give County a different option upfront, but I'm not sure he's what they need at the moment. I think if it was me Jonathan I'd take a chance and bring Steven Davidson on to play at the back and push McGlynn upfront - they really need his aerial presence and with 25 goals so far this season he's sure to worry Inter more than young Andy.

21:05

Jonathan Pearce: We're just past the hour mark now here in Trondheim and it couldn't be closer. For those who are just joining us, it's Ross County 1, Inter Milan 1 - Mohamed Kallon cancelling out Ross O'Donoghue's first half freekick...Alan Reid now plays the ball forward from his right-back position, looking for David Winters...Stankovic heads clear, but only as far as Reid again. Reid sidesteps Stankovic and plays it forward for Winters...this is a real chance here for County...Winters wins the header on the dge of the box and cushions it down to Keigan Parker just on the corner of the 6-yard box...AND IT'S KEIGAN PARKER!!!!!!!!!!!! A fantastic strike from a narrow angle by the former St. Johnstone striker, Pazzi was beaten all ends up and ROSS COUNTY HAVE THE LEAD AGAIN!!!!!!!! It's Ross County 2 Inter Milan 1

John Collins: A great striker's goal Jonathan...he didn't need a second look at that...Winters won the header excellently on the edge of the box and the Inter defence just didn't get to Keigan Parker who slipped behind Córdóba I think it was to slot home from a tight angle. I think Pazzi might be a bit disappointed when he sees that again, but it was a superb strike and maybe it's a bit harsh on him to say he should have got a hand to it...well, this really is turning into quite a match now - less than 30 minutes left for County to hang on - I can hardly watch this Jonathan!

21:07

Jonathan Pearce: So, it's Inter to kick off now, 2-1 down and needing to take the game to Ross County...they've just brought Antonio Barrone on for Thomas Facci as they look to find the equaliser...Kallon taps the ball to Pinga who strides forward with it now...it's still Pinga coming forward, the County defence backing off him - they really need to get a tackle in here...but it's PINGA!!!! Over the bar from the Brazilian, but Ross County really should have closed him down there - it was a lucky escape even though the final shot was well high and wide.

21:09

Jonathan Pearce: It's John MacDonald now, in the left-back position for Ross County, fires it forward down the wing...that's a great ball from MacDonald! Richard Rhodes picks it up and slides a pass infield to Ross O'Donoghue...that's a lovely pass from O'Donoghue and Andy Williams has a clear run on goal here...it's Williams...oh! He made a mess of that shot, well over the bar - inexperience showing there from the youngster when a cool head was needed...it's still Ross County 2 Inter Milan 1 here with 65 minutes gone now...

Archived