The Scanland Clan

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OJ:

We just got 2 new members, and I believe at the moment we aren't looking for any more. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oj, i can't see why mattie can't join, we never seem to have a full house and if he can only play for 2 hours then so be it.

Let him play. icon_smile.gif

God it is dead in this thread..could be the summer, could be the euro2004, could be that everyone are lazy (I know I am). Time for some update from The Blades boss:

Sheff Utd season update

H Wolves 1-0

A Everton 1-2

A Chelsea 1-1

A Rushden 1-2 (FA Cup 3rd round)

H Birmingham 1-0

A Leeds 5-1

H Middlesbrough 3-0

A Charlton 1-3

H Arsenal 0-0

A Man City 2-1

H W.B.A. 0-0

A Liverpool 3-2

H Fulham 1-2

H West Ham 1-0

H Coventry 2-0

A Blackburn 1-2

H Newcastle 3-1

A Southampton 1-2

A Tottenham 0-2

H Man Utd 1-1

A Wolves 2-0

H Everton 0-1

The season is now over. We finished 9th with 55 points. At first I felt a bit disappointed, becauce uefa spots wasn't too far ahead (7 points). Well, we are in Inter-Toto, so maybe Sheff Utd will be playing in the UEFA cup after all icon_smile.gif

During the summer I will be looking for players to add some depth to my squad, few of my players are getting pretty old so I need to look for replacements.

From Soton I bought Oskitz Estefania for €2.8m and Kasper Schmeichel for €2.3m. Both players' contracts weren't protected so I lured them to Bramall Lane. Good yoöungsters for a nice price. Thomas Job from Sampdoria and Gianluca Comotto from Fiorentina came to Sheff U on bosmans. €1.7m was enough to get Adam Birchall from Elche. David Bellion, whose contract was ended by ManU also cought my attention. Last but not least for €700k I got Isaac Osbourne from Coventry. Now if I'm gonna buy more players I need to sell some. 4 players left us, and all on bosmans. They were Jack Lester, Richard Naylor, Ashley Sestanovich and Nick Montogomery.

Now for the fixtures. As I mentioned, we got to the Inter-Toto, which wasn't too bad. Only thing I don't like in Inter-Toto is that the season starts too soon. But, winning it gives UEFA spot and that means more €€€€, and you can't have too much €€€ or can you? icon_wink.gif

On 2nd round we played against Újpest (6-0 aggr), on 3rd against Leiria (again 6-0 aggr) and we are in the semis. Malaga was our opponent there, and beforehand I thought that this might be a bit too hard for us. 2-0 at home, hoped that we would've scored 1 or 2 more but can't have anything you wish for.

The second leg was a bit of a thriller, Malaga won it 2-3, but they needed couple more for proceding to the finals. There were couple of nasty teams in Inter-Toto (ManU to name one) and couple of teams that got there with a lot of luck. Luckily for me I got a easy opponent for the final, Malatyaspor.

Aggregate 9-1 for us, and we are in UEFA cup icon_smile.gif In the 1st round we had GAK, 1-0 at home so I wasn't too confident when we went to Belgium for the 2nd leg. 4-1 there, and our quest for Euro trophy continues icon_smile.gif. On 2nd round we will play Chievo, 1st leg will be at Bramall Lane in a few days.

Now the results so far in EPL:

H Wolves 0-0

A Arsenal 0-2

H ManU 2-2

A Blackburn 3-0

H Crewe 4-0

A Leeds 1-0

H Chelsea 0-2

A Liverpool 0-1

H Birmingham 0-2

We are 12th, not the best start but we've had some pretty hard opponents.

Oh and my goals for the season. As far as possible in UEFA and domestic cups, and another euro-spot at the end of the season icon_smile.gif

Cheers, The Blades boss

• 3 weeks later...

**** THE SUN ONLINE*****

The only place for old football news

Villa go for the league title in the 2008/2009 season.

After a midtable finish last season the board decided that last seasons manager could stay and gave him 5 million to spend.

of course the manager apealed for more but ended up selling 25.5 million worth of players players including brian kerr, jamie mccunnie, gareth williams and juan pablo angel.

Lastyears shock buy kisnorbo failed to make the grade in manager swans ayes and went to chelsea joining shaun wright-philips £3.2m and neil clement £1m on the exodus to chelsea.

how chelsea expect to win with such mediocre players is unknown.

the intertoto cup was the only chance villa had in europe this season but lost out to sheffield wednesday in 2 amazing and close matches.

asking about his prospects this year manager swan said with Mark Bresciano, Wesley Sonck, jorge torales, ricardinho and nigel de jong as the major signings and with more money to spend villa have a very good chance of winning this season. with 3 wins out of 3 the sun recons manager swan may indeed shock spurs this season

birmingham_logo.gif

Morgan's Shock Resignation

Following Leicester City's heartache in the final of the Platoff final, Morgan knew that this was as far he could take Leicester with limited funds from the board, he just could not take another season in division 1, soon after Morgan's resignation he was offered the job at St. Andrews, this was an opportunity Morgan couldn't turn down, Given £4.5m to spend on new talent Birmingham didn't endure the best of season's as they finished 11th in the Premier League, also get knocked out of the League Cup in the 3rd round and FA Cup in the 5th round, improvement's were need, here's how the season went:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

PLAYER'S IN

Christian Tiffert - £2m

Gianluca Curci - £750k

PLAYER'S OUT

Simon Rusell - Free

Billy Gibson - Free

Stuart Malcolm - Free

Colin Doyle - Free

Danny Carter - Free

Danny Alexander- Free

Damien Johnson - Free

Kenny Cunningham - £60k

PRE-SEASON FIXTURES

A) Leigh RMI 5-0

A) Stockport 5-1

A) Aldershot 3-2

LEAGUE FIXTURES 2007/08

H) Leeds 2-3

A) Chelsea 0-2

H) Liverpool 0-4

A) Newcastle 0-2

A) WBA 1-2

H) Bristol City L/Cup rd2 4-0

H) Tottenham Hotspur 1-2

A) West Ham 0-0

H) MIddlesbrough 5-0

A) Sheffield United 2-0

A) Charlton 1-2

H) Southampton 0-1

A) Millwall 1-3

H) Fulham 1-1

A) Everton 2-1

H) Aston Villa 2-1

A) Wolverhampton Wanderers 5-1

H) Arsenal 3-2

A) Man Utd 0-2

H) Blackburn 0-0

A) Crewe 3-3

A) Lincoln FA Cup rd 3 5-1

A) Leeds 3-0

H) Chelsea 1-1

A) Liverpool 2-3

A) Bristol City FA Cup rd 4 0-0

H) Newcastle 1-0

H) WBA 2-2

H) Bristol City FA Cup rd 4 3-1 (Replay)

A) Tottenham Hotspur 0-5

H) Tottenham Hotspur FA Cup rd 5 1-4

H) West Ham 2-1

A) Middlesbrough 0-0

H) Sheffield Utd 0-1

A) Southampton 0-5

H) Millwall 3-0

A) Fulham 1-0

A) Aston Villa 0-1

H) Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-0

A) Arsenal 2-3

H) Man Utd 0-1

A) Blackburn 0-0

H) Crewe 3-1

</pre>

The Blades update

It's been a while since I updated this thread (too long tbh).

On season 2007/2008 The Blades finished 8th with 55 points. No success on cups. Not happy with last season, but it also could've been much much worse.

Now to season 2008/2009

Board told me to keep building the squad and gave me €12.5m for that. Sooo, time to look some players then. Frédéric Marquet, 16 year old defender from Lille for 650k, Michele Ferri (27) , defender from Palermo for 2.4m, Carlton Cole (24) striker from Spurs for 7m, Raffaele Palladino (24) forward from Juventus (I play him as left winger tho) and Danny Mills (31) defender from Saints (needed a defender badly because of injuries, and he seemed perfect) for 550k. 15 left, all for free, some were youngters with no future and some were old and I decided not to keep them anymore. Richard Dunne decided to join Celtic when they offered him a contract.

Fixtures so far:

Season started with Intertoto cup against Swany's Aston Villa. Extremely close matches that could've gone either wa. Aston Villa won the first leg at Bramall Lane 2-1, and we won the second leg 3-2 at Villa Park. Thanks to away goals, we proceeded to semi finals.

In the semis we were playing against Fenerbahce, pretty easy matches aggregate being 5-1 for us. Finals here we come.

Playing against me in the finals was Bologna. I won the first leg at home 2-0.

The second leg, which was played 2 weeks later, was a bit more difficult because of injuries. 3 defenders from my starting eleven were out. So, I was pretty much forced to put my 16-year-old purchase Marquet to the starting eleven. We lost the match 2-1, but with aggregate 3-2 we went to the uefa cup.

In the 1st rnd of UEFA cup we played against Zimbru from Moldova. We lost the first leg 1-0, which was quite a shock for me. The second leg which was played at Bramall lane was like a walk in the park, we won it 2-0 and we are through to the 2nd round, where we are up against FC Belasica from FYR of Macedonia. Should be a piece of cake, but underestimating opponents can cost you quite a bit.

League fixtures so far:

A Everton 2-0

H Tottenham 1-3

A Arsenal 0-2

H Aston Villa 2-0

A Birmingham 0-2

H Newcastle 3-0

A Sunderland 5-1

H W.B.A 3-0

Currently we are 7th after 8 rounds with 15 points.

In the League cup we played against Brighton. The match ended 2-0 for us. On 3rd round we are playing against Everton.

More to come next week, stay tuned.

--The Blades Boss

**WEST HAM SEASON 2008-09**

After 2 good seasons in the EPL (4th & 5th) it is importent that simon whitetries to take West Ham that next step up and go for a top 3 finish, which will be hard he knows , but with the team he has now built he cannot see any reason why this cannot be achieved.

It was a busy transfer period to say the least. with 15 players coming in and 19 players going.

Here are just a few of the major deals:

In:

JAMES BEATTIE 5M FROM BLACKBURN

CRAIG BELLAMY 6M FROM NEWCASTLE

O.A.AJIDE 4M FROM ROMA

OLOF MELLBERG 4M FROM MAN.UTD

KALU 3M FROM SAMPDORIA

JULIO ARCA 2.9M FROM MAN.CITY

OUT:

A.CERCI 15M TO BLACKBURN

M.CARRICK 4.6M TO IPSWICH

H.MULLINS 2.4M TO CHELSEA

J.SAUMEL 2.4M TO WOLVES

J.TORALES 2M TO VILLA

West ham had a bad start to the season losing both thier opening games (newcastle,wba). But then a nice 7-0 win over local rivals Millwallgot our season going. In fact we went on a run of 5 league wins in a row which included a 5-2 win over big spending chelsea. Then we drew 2-2 with everton after being 2-0 down at HT.

We then went on to win our next three games, which included a nice 4-3 win over arsenal who were unbeaten until then.

We are out of the league cup, lost 2-1 to Scunthorpe (played Reserves). Going well in uefa beat Fiorentina 5-1 on Agg. Next we have Inter Milan.

So as it stands at the momentwe are 2nd in the EPL 1 point behind leaders Arsenal.

May it long continue

after a strong start villa seem to be losing pace but so have the rest.

after 2 bad results villa have dropped from the top to 4th but are only 3 pts away from the top

having the worst goal difference against the top 3 human managers is begining to become a worry

with sonck not being in the best form.... manager swan is heading to norway for a quick scouting job... unfortunatly this means that villa may have to do with their assistant in charge for the next few games.

Papa Wiago who was looking on the way out apears to have found his way into swans good books with some good solid play from the striker.

ech cherguioooooooo has come back from injury to prove what a great signing he was with sold performances in the central midfield role he hopes to stay in the managers team.

Archived