FM11: Newcastle United Team Guide @ Sports Interactive @ SJP.com

ChrisNUFC

I might try Ganso as a deep Lying Playmaker with support duty as he has been awful as a Advanced Playmaker with support duty although the only problem with that is he couldn't tackle a dogs dinner :lol:.

Plus my team has been playing this formation religiously, win or lose, for 3 seasons. Might just be taking time for your lads to click with the new style.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2012/13 Season Update: The Finale

NewcastleUnitedFixturesMay2013.png

With the League title in the bag I was able to rest a few key player during May and give some of the youngsters like Babayaro, Rein and Ban a run of games. Also allowed for more rotation amongst the strikers, keeping them reasonably fresh for the big European games. We made it past Lyon comfortably in the end, winning both legs 2-1, with Hulk the star performer.

In the Champions League we again faced Real Madrid, and they would be missing the gelled wonderboy himself for this game. We were 2-0 and cruising at halftime, but on 57 minutes Jose clattered Pedro Leon as he made a jinking run into the box and Kaka sent Asenjo the wrong way from the spot. For the next 20 minutes there was an onslaught from Real as they had us totally under the cosh. Then just when I thought we were bound to slip up and concede an equaliser, Shawcross hoofed a clearance up the left wing, Gameiro run it into the corner but somehow slipped it to Hazard, Hazard beat his defender before cutting it back to the Real penalty spot for the arriving Cavani to smash home. After that the game fixxled out a little and we had successfully retained the Champions League.

Final League Table

EnglishPremierDivisionInformation_LeagueTable-34.png

We made it to the 100 point mark, just. We could have gone above that but we were a little complacent after securing the title with 5 games to go and drew a couple games we should have won. Despite losing Necid and Cavani suffering several injuries we scored more heavily than even the previous season, scoring 126 this time round, compared to 99 last year. Our defence improved again, now the third tightest in the league. Combined with our freescoring attack meant we were pretty hard to stop this year.

The Squad

NewcastleUnitedNewcastle_Players-7.png

Obviously we had strong performers throughout the squad, but Hazard and Cavani stood out with both achieving 8.15 avg rating for the season, but Hazard achieved that over 20 more games which was really remarkable. Hazard won his third consecutive Footballer of the Year award and Gameiro his third consecutive Premier League Top Goalscorer. Somehow Modric beat Hulk to the Players Player of the Year award, and even more surprisingly Man City managed to have 5 players in the Team of the Year to our 3 :confused:.

Yohann Cabaye had his best season for us so far, and I'm contemplating making him Captain or Vice Captain for the next season and free transfers Asenjo and Willian both had excellent debut seasons for us.

The main objective over the summer is likely to be holding on to the key players, with Real Madrid and City likely to come back in for M'Vila. Madrid and Barce showing interest in Hulk and we fended off several bids from AC Milan for Cabaye in January. I'm not planning any raids on the transfer market unless I have to replace one or more of the man players, instead hoping to persuade the board to expand the staduim and invest in our faciltites this close season.

Ganso scores one and makes one in his new Deep Lying Playmaker role decent :) and both forwards get a 8.5 rating.

I used him there a few times when I was managing Brazil on another save and he did pretty well, hope he keeps it going for you :thup:

Another great season there Dandy, your strikers are goal machines :).

Eden Hazard is the best player on the game, he always gets loads of assits and into double figures for goals despite his poor finishing.

I used him there a few times when I was managing Brazil on another save and he did pretty well, hope he keeps it going for you :thup:

Unfortunately it was just the one game he played well and now he is get to getting 6.6 ratings, I have destroyed Ganso :(

oops, not sure what to do with him then. I've never actually signed him, just been his international coach.

He has always been class when I have signed him before but I have always played him in AMC, it might just be a case of him becoming a natural in the MC role.

Finished my 1st season (2nd in-game) yesterday. The first half of the season I was playing a wide 4231 and the result were ok. I was between 7th and 10th most of the time but in december I switched to a 41122 with DM, MC, AMC, AML and after about a month of learning the changes in formation I went unbeaten in the league from the 4th of january through to the end of the season.

englishpremierdivisioni.png

The cups weren't as good as I lost to Coventry in the LC 3rd round and to Arsenal in the FAC 4th round.

Standout performers were Footballer of the Year Hazard and and runner-up Young.

newcastleunitednewcastlw.png

I'm still stuck with Ashley and he's just announced to expand the stadium by 5,750 seats and upgrade the training facilities so I probably won't get too much to spend. My main targets are keeping Sandro and a new RB.

That was a great run from January there Shoonaldo :thup: Could have been league winning form with a little luck.

Any chance you could put a screenshot of your formation up? Call me stoopid, but I'm have a little trouble visualising it, sounds interesting though, certainly got you some results.

newcastleunitednewcastl.png

The roles are:

DMC - Anchorman

MC - DLP sup.

AMC - IF att.

AML - IF att.

STs - both Poachers

I have made a few changes to these though. AML and AMC swap positions.

Passing down left flank, counter attacking with quick tempo and time wasting set to rarely.

November 2013 to January 2014 results.

newcastleunitedfixtures.jpg

We won our second World Club cup in this period after easily beatiing Chinese side Beijing 6-1 in the semi final with goals coming from Eren Derdiyok (2), Romelu Lukaku (2) and Eden Hazard the third player scoring a brace to put us into the final.

I thought the final would be a tough game against Argentian side Estudiantes but nothing could be further from the truth as we hammered them 6-0, goals from Ganso, a Rodrigo Brana OG, Eden Hazard, Haris Vuckic, Eren Derdiyok, Ryan Shawcross with Ganso missing a penalty so the score could of looked even better for us.

transferssummer2011.jpg

Transfer dealing for the start of the 2nd season. I've wanted Charlie back since the start but didn't want to pay the £11m at the start, so once they were relegated I jumped straight in before anyone else. Hulk was bought solely on the success you guys have had with him and it's paying off already, he's scored 4 in 4 so far. The rest are for the future/fill out the squad.

Hopefully we can secure Champions League again for next season, that money isn't half nice :D Oh, and the takeover is back on yet again, same guy still.

Seriously, how do I get screenshots to be bigger and clearer?! Tried .PNG and .JPG but both show identical :confused:

I use Imageshack and then resize the image to either 1280x1024 or 1600x1200.

Tried both of those but still only shows in one size :mad:

Then I have no idea sorry :(.

Finally Hulk is back after his 4 month injury and will play against Fiorentina in the Champions League quater finals :).

Now Douglas Costa out for 4 months with a broken foot after a reckless tackle by Yaya Toure :mad:.

Not many games left now though so both Douglas Costa and Hulk will miss the first couple of months next season :).

2013/14 Pre-Season Update

Well having achieved the Holy Grail of winning the League in the season just past, as well as defending our European crown, the board offered me the rather healthy transfer budget of £51 million with the objective of securing European qualification . I could have gotten a budget of £68 million if I'd promised to be title winners, but I felt the Euro qualification objective would keep a little pressure off our shoulders in the season ahead.

I set about trimming some of the dead wood and fringe players from the squad and had the scouts very busy out searching for some potential future stars. I still had to do the usual in fending off Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea from poaching my staff, and so far I've been successful. Going in to the last week of the summer transfer window we've also hung on to all the key players in the squad.

Due to a major injury to Pavel Niakhaichyk last season and pre-season injuries to Eden Hazard, Hulk and Willian we started the new campaign a little short on wingers, and I've had to through 2 of my youngsters into the fray earlier than planned. Fortunately the injuries to Hazard and Willian were mild, and they will be fit by the end of August.

When it came time to name the 25 man squad for the season I felt we were a little short on English players now, so I decided to spend the money I'd raised so far and some of the hefty budget I'd been given. Currently have bids in with Blackburn and Everton for Phil Jones (who I have never signed on FM as yet, so looking forward to it if he arrives) and Jack Rodwell. There's also a couple of very promising English regens at Man utd that we might go for.

We made successful bids for a number of talented youth players, but only 2 were successful in getting work permits and they will be arriving next summer.

Players Sold/Loaned So far

Xherdan Shaqiri was sold to Olympique de Marseille for £9.25 million, with a 50% sell on clause.

Bressan sold to Bayern Munich for £10 million upfront, a healthy profit on a player we signed for £170,000. We probably could have got more but I didn't want to stand in his way, he hasn't complained about lack of playing time or anything in his time with us.

Hatem Ben Arfa season long loan to Hoffenheim for a loan fee of £1.2 million and an agreed further 3.6 million if they want to make the deal permanent.

Dan Gosling sold to Rangers for £1.6 million

Yven Moyo sold to Peterborough for £400,000

Leon Best punted for free

Players Signed

Francky Memy, very promising Congolese/French striker signed from AS Kondzo for £150,000. Coaches reckon he has potential to be as good as Cavani (oh yes please)

Jeremy Toulalan signed for free from Lyon, tenacious defensive midfielder. Brought him in to act as cover for M'Vila and Mariga, and also to be another tutor. He has some fantastic mental attributes that I hope he can impart to the youngsters.

We're still waiting on the bids for Jones and Rodwell but after winning the Community Shield on penalties against Liverpool we got the new League Season under way in possibly the most perfect way.

NewcastlevSunderlandInformation_Overview-3.png

Could there be any better way to start our defence of the title than this? :p (well maybe 5-0 away......)

The roles are:

DMC - Anchorman

MC - DLP sup.

AMC - IF att.

AML - IF att.

STs - both Poachers

I have made a few changes to these though. AML and AMC swap positions.

Passing down left flank, counter attacking with quick tempo and time wasting set to rarely.

A very lopsided formation, you would think looking at it that the opposition would overload you down that right flank...but those odd lopsided formations are often weirdly effective.

I notice that Gameiro has a tendency to push out wide playing as Poacher in my 4-4-2, so with him, Young and Enrique all charging at him your opponents right back probably has a few nightmares. Hope it keep working well for you mate :thup:

A very lopsided formation, you would think looking at it that the opposition would overload you down that right flank...but those odd lopsided formations are often weirdly effective.

I notice that Gameiro has a tendency to push out wide playing as Poacher in my 4-4-2, so with him, Young and Enrique all charging at him your opponents right back probably has a few nightmares. Hope it keep working well for you mate :thup:

The striker on the right actually moves to the wing quite often so that helps the RB a little but obviously it is the weakest part of the formation.

Got a really nice group in the CL aswell. Inter, PSG and Shakhtar.

February to May 2014 results.

newcastleunitedfixtures.jpg

These were the results of our last couple of months in the fourth season, I will do a season review in a couple of hours as I am going to watch Sundays True Blood and then Ive got to play the World cup with England.

The striker on the right actually moves to the wing quite often so that helps the RB a little but obviously it is the weakest part of the formation.

Got a really nice group in the CL aswell. Inter, PSG and Shakhtar.

Qualifying from that group is very achieveable but good luck anyway.

After reading the past few pages and especially DandyDon and col_nufc1's progress, I'm tempted to start as Newcastle but would like to know firstly what the finances are like? I assume they are pretty good in season 1 with the Carroll money but after that. Cheers.

After reading the past few pages and especially DandyDon and col_nufc1's progress, I'm tempted to start as Newcastle but would like to know firstly what the finances are like? I assume they are pretty good in season 1 with the Carroll money but after that. Cheers.

In the first season you can get £25m for European qualification through the league but if you use the 48 month method it can become a lot more. The next season I only got about £5m but it's easier to sell some of the big earners in the second season giving you a bigger budget.

Newcastle Season 4 Review.

Another great season for Newcastle resulted in us winnig six out of a possible seven trophies this year.

The game we lost against Chelsea in the FA cup quater finals were we we awful, I am still getting reminded off the board that wasn't acceptable, unbelievable you can't please some people can you ?.

Even though we did very well this season I was nopt happy with our forwards performance and it will be something I will address next season probably going back to a 4-2-3-1 formation. When I played two up front only one forward would play well and the other would have a stinker so I think I will sell a few forwards and bring in midfielders.

Premier League Table.

newcastleunitedepltablea.jpg

In The Cups.

Community Shield. Arsenal 0-3 Newcastle United.

Carling cup final. Arsenal 0-3 Newcastle United.

FA cup quater final. Chelsea 4-1 Newcastle United.

European Super cup. Manchester City 0-1 Newcastle United.

Champions League final. Real Madrid 2-5 Newcastle United.

World Club cup final. Estudiantes 0-6 Newcastle United.

Champions League Fixtures.

newcastleunitedchampion.jpg

The Squad.

newcastleunitedsquadend.jpg

First season funds will range from about 21 million to 28 million, depending which season objective you pick, but as Col says if you want to use the 48 month installments you can stretch that a whole lot. If you play the market a bit you can probably raise a bit of cash offloading a few of your starting squad, but you're unlikely to get any bids for the likes of Perch or Best as they're pretty new to the squad and generally no-one seems to want to touch Alan Smith with a bargepole.

I think the key signing for your first season is a striker or two, the existing strikers at Newcastle are pretty average (if you're playing with a transfer update though you might have Ba there already who is a bit more decent), after that it really depends what sort of formation and style you want to play.

As far as wages go I can't remember the actual first season budget, but I think the starting squad was quite a bit under it, so you should have a little breathing space, if you do decide to sell anyone probably best to try and offload a couple of the higher earners like Barton and Coloccini and try and bring in younger, less well paid replacements....if you can.

Good luck if you decide to give it a go :thup:

anyone out there have a possible explanation as to why Lionel Messi is out of contract and available on a free transfer on mine game in 2016? :|

Because thats when his contract expires at Barca and they probably couldn't get him to renew his already his huge wages he is on.

anyone out there have a possible explanation as to why Lionel Messi is out of contract and available on a free transfer on mine game in 2016? :|

No idea but I'd try like hell to sign him! :p

Seriously though, wasn't there an issue with the game on first patch with some of the big names being released by their clubs as clubs wouldn't offer new contracts or something? Thought it had been cleared up by 11.3, so unless you're still running an earlier patch I assume Barce have a new manager and/or board and there's been some problem there.

Fair enough if that's the reason why.. However I did get him to accept a contract of £185,000 a week, however he is currently out with a torn calf muscle so didn't pass the medical. Will try again once he is nearing the end of his injury.

Well managed to complete the signings of Rodwell and Jones before the transfer window closed. Had to pay £15 million for each of them and almost as soon as they signed both were awarded their first caps for England. So I now have Cahill, Shawcross, Dann and Jones to rotate as central defenders plus Kyle Walker at right back, just need to find a decent english left back really...or hope that Gabriel Silva chooses to take up English nationality (unlikely I know) if he stays with us long enough.

The young winger I signed from Burnley Downing is starting to look pretty useful and he'll be getting a few games this season and due to a couple injuries to Hulk and Gameiro, I've had to play a front 2 of Babacar and Cavani.

The two big guys upfront together has proven surprisingly effective in the last couple matches, with Cavani switching to cover the Poacher role, while Babacar does the Target Man job....feel a little sorry for the opposition defences trying to handle those two as they're both built like tanks and yet fast with it.

Summer Transfers In Season 5.

I have massively improved the squad this season by wheeling and dealing and in the first transfer window in the fifth season we spent £120m but we have recouped £204m on player sales and loan fees a impressive £84m profit.

I am not going to write all the transfers down as I will post the screenshots at the end of the January transfer window.

Players signed.

Jack Wilshere came in for £9m from Arsenal as a backup player that can operate in a number of different positions.

Sergio Aguero came in for a club record transfer of £38m from Atletico Madrid.

David De Gea came in for £17.5m from Atletico Madrid, a younger, better goalkeeper than Igor Akinfeev.

Alexis Sanchez came in for £23m from HSV.

Javier Pastore came in for £25m from Palermo.

Players sold.

Hatem Ben Arfa was sold to Real Madrid for £23.5m.

Eren Derdiyok was sold to Inter Milan for £22m.

Igor Akinfeev was sold to Atletico Madrid for £33.5m.

Moussa Sissoko was sold to Manchester City for £40m a club record transfer fee recieved.

Seydou Doumbia was sold to Atletico Madrid for £15.75m.

Some pretty hefty deals there Col, you must be drowning in cash there :p

How's Alexis Sanchez? I wasn't all that impressed with his stats on a couple of my saves.

The last few seasons we have made a nice profit on transfers so I have a transfer budget of £212m :cool: although there is only £101m in the clubs finances so unless a Messi wants to come the cash will stay were it is.

I have been disappointed with Sanchez but to be fair to him he is backup to Douglas Costa and only gets games in cups or a sub and I will probably end up selling him if he becomes unhappy with the lack of games.

Have to ask Col what is your secret for getting such high transfer fees? Nolan Roux was my star performer last year with 30 goals and named PFA player and Chelsea were after him. He was rated at £7.5 but the best offer i received was £8.75m. I also have LuaLua who was an England international, great stats valued at £6m - i put him up for sale at £8m but the best offer i received was £6m.

Do you transfer list at crazy prices and hope for the best?

Have to ask Col what is your secret for getting such high transfer fees? Nolan Roux was my star performer last year with 30 goals and named PFA player and Chelsea were after him. He was rated at £7.5 but the best offer i received was £8.75m. I also have LuaLua who was an England international, great stats valued at £6m - i put him up for sale at £8m but the best offer i received was £6m.

Do you transfer list at crazy prices and hope for the best?

That's exactly what I do. I wait until someone is wanted by a club who is not transfer listed, for example Moussa Sissoko was wanted by the likes of Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid and he wasn't transfer listed and valued at about £15m. So I then offered him out to clubs for £80m knowing that no one would pay that but offers between £30m-£40m came in so I accepted all offers of £40m. I hope that makes sense.

That's exactly what I do. I wait until someone is wanted by a club who is not transfer listed, for example Moussa Sissoko was wanted by the likes of Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid and he wasn't transfer listed and valued at about £15m. So I then offered him out to clubs for £80m knowing that no one would pay that but offers between £30m-£40m came in so I accepted all offers of £40m. I hope that makes sense.

That's great. Just tried it and sold Darren Bent to Man City for 21m.

-----

btw I've brought back Andy Carroll and he's just scored a hattrick in a 5-1 win at the dark place

That's great. Just tried it and sold Darren Bent to Man City for 21m.

-----

btw I've brought back Andy Carroll and he's just scored a hattrick in a 5-1 win at the dark place

I am glad it worked for you :)

How much did you buy Carroll for ? I have tried for 5 seasons to sign him but Liverpool are refusing to sell him.

I am glad it worked for you :)

How much did you buy Carroll for ? I have tried for 5 seasons to sign him but Liverpool are refusing to sell him.

I think it's a bit random as to whether he's available or not. On my Newcastle save he's playing regularly for them, and they won't accept offers. On my Stoke save they've changed manager, he's not getting a game and I've got him arriving in January of 3rd season for £10million.

Cheers Col interest from other clubs have cooled but i'm looking forward to trying it out soon. Will update

Archived