FM11: Aston Villa Thread - Life after MON

CMOZZA

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

alright lads had this game since it came out but ive just started a new save and decided id join this forum for a bit of banter and knowledge.

Ive chosen to manager Aston Villa obviously and ive purchased a few talents.

IN

Benzema Loan fee:400k future fee of £7.75mill to buy

Christian benitez :1.9 Mill

Fabio Coentrao :6.5Mill

Diego Lugano :3Mill (Min Release Fee)

Erik Lamela :3.5Mill

Vincent Enyeama: 260k

Julien Feret :Loan

Ruben Amorim :Benfica :3 Month Loan

Marco Marchionni : Fiorentina : Loan

Out

ALL Yougsters and Reserve Loaned out Except Salifou

Salifou :500k Sheff Utd

Pires: 750k Leeds

Heskey: 4Million - Sunderland

Playing a 4-2-4 Formation

Done well in Pre-season only losing once to Racing Santander 2-1 playing with what will be my second string

also got rid of gary mac and hired Ray Wilkins as Assistant Manager :D

Look Forward to some Chat with Fellow Villains

Jeez, I look away for five minutes and the whole world starts to post!

Jimi - Crisetig is a good reliable squad player for me. For the first four or so seasons he was primarily a backup DM for M'Vila, but now I'm playing two DM's away from home (M'Vila as the defensive one, and Crisetig given the supporting role) he is playing more competitive games and is doing really well. The problem is I think it's so easy to turn Villa into a top-level ream in such a relatively short space of time, players like Crisetig won't be more than a good backup - despite being good enough to comfortably walk into most other teams.

Finally took over at Villa Park in May 2019. Some good players, but we really needed to strengthen in some areas. I still don't think my centre backs are good enough, so I may look at bringing one in before the window slams shut.

I've made a few signings this summer, bringing in Kyle Walker at full back, bringing Fabien Delph back after he had been sold to Bolton years back, and a fantastic regen called Jose Antonio Rey. I also signed a few youngsters.

Rey really is brilliant. he has 19 for finishing, 15 for off the ball, 15 composure, 15 for team work and work rate, 18 for pace and 19 for strength. He was signed in a £14.5 million deal from Sunderland, replacing home grown Karl Kendall, who sadly had a £30 million clause in his contract which Man City met, meaning I never got to manage him.

I'm looking forward to a couple more weeks though, because Jano was signed on a free transfer before I joined! He got injured in pre season and is going to be ready to play soon and I can't wait, he looks immense!

Got our first trophy of the season with a 2-1 win over Arsenal in the Community Shield after Villa won the FA Cup last season, I was manager in the final but not for the rest of the competition, but I like to take the credit :-P Rey scored two great goals in that game and he really is looking brilliant.

Nice one! Welcome aboard, and in the same season as me! Which (if any) members of the starting squad are still with the club when you took over?

Just finished pre-season 2019-20. A decent start, with home wins (both 4-1) against Barca, and high-flying Bari. Couldn't think of any real improvements to my first-team squad, so instead brought in a couple of regen kids: a Dutch DM/CB; and a two-footed, both-sided German attacking FB.

Tried to sell Delfouneso, as I got sick of his constant whining about wanting a new challenge. A new challenge yes, but a drop in wages no - and insisted on having £40k a week for the rest of his contract to leave. Sod that. M'Vila is suffering from the same delusion, but there is no way I can get a better DM than him so I'm just going to chuck money at him until Hunt is good enough to take over.

Well I brought Walker and Delph back, Albrighton is still there and Agbonlahor.

Ciaran Clark and Stewart Downing are both at Southampton, Delfouneso is at Huddersfield, and Darren Bent is at Wigan. Ashley Young is a free agent, Heskey is assistant manager of Greenock Morton, Stephen Warnock is assistant manager at Gateshead, Petrov, Guzan and Dunne are retired, and Luke Young is now an assistant manager but currently unemployed.

Oh and Carlos Cuellar is still playing at 38 at Pro Patria in Italy.

Okay, so I started a save with Aston Villa. The following transfers in/out:

In:

Eden Hazard, Loan fee £3.4M, £11M to make permanent

Vincent Enyeama, £700K

Gary Cahill, £6M

Lars Bender, £6M

Ryan Bertrand, £3.3M

Out:

Brad Fridel, £575K

Emile Heskey, £900K

Habib Beye, loan fee £625K

Also contemplating selling Stylian Petrov, Stewart Downing, Richard Dunne and/or Ashley Young. Liverpool, Newcastle, Newcastle (again) and Man City have all been sniffing around for them, respectively. If I offloaded those players I could bring in younger talent. Junior Hoilett, Jack Rodwell and Alex Chamberlain would be my targets (don't need another CB since I brought Cahill back to Villa Park).

I'm going to play a mixture of a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2, depending on who my opponents are. When I'm underdogs, 4-3-3 will be used. When I'm about even I'll use 4-2-3-1, and if I'm strong favourites I'll favour a 4-4-2. First fixtures are tough: away to Chelsea then home to Arsenal. As well as games against Zilina in between for the Europa League.

Targets this season:

Win a Domestic trophy - no preference to which it is

Finish in the top 6

Make the Quarter-Finals of the Europa League, but there won't be any real importance on this

i've just restarted. again. amended the DB and gave myself 16m for the AY sale and then in the game offered downing out for 15m. but accepted a bid from newcastle for 11m.

so i've got money to burn, and i'm burning it, fast!!

i'm not sure how i feel about the RL rumours today of downing off to newcastle but, if as seems so, we get alex mcleish as manager i'll quite understand it if downing and others want a quick exit!

i've decided i'm not great playing with wingers, but having a lot of success with three destroyers in CM all of whom can pick out a pass.

I'm currently playing with Aston Villa in October 2018 and I have build one hell of a team. I won the Premier League in 2015, while I won the Champions League last season. The following are my players:

astonvilla.png

Alexis Sanchez is probably my biggest star. He has scored 56 goals for me in the last two seasons. Phil Jones is also fantastic for me. I have a few regens in Dean Powell (own academy), Gabriel Rufino, Luis Manuel Pereira, Simon Burton, Ümit Sahin and Rafael - ask for SS if you want.

I have not won the league for three years now so that has to be my main goal this year. I have ended second twice and third once while I have one the FA Cup the last two seasons which is satisfying.

So I also sold Stiliyan Petrov and am currently trying to secure the signature of Moussa Sissoko instead. I'm still trying to offload Richard Dunne.

My first game of the season was a disaster. Chelsea 4-2 Aston Villa was the result. My second game, against Zilina, finished Zilina 0-8 Aston Villa, meaning I'm guaranteed a place in the groups, basically. And then my second League game was great, Aston Villa 4-0 Arsenal - Darren Bent has 5 goals in 2 appearances.

I have just managed to secure Sissoko's transfer for £19M - excited to have him at the club.

My squad is now:

Enyeama, Guzan, Walker, Young, Cahill, Dunne, Collins, Clark, Cuellar, Warnock, Bertrand, Sissoko, Reo-Coker, Bender, Makoun, Bannan, Downing, Hazard, Young, Albrighton, Bent, Agbonlahor and Delfouneso

So I also sold Stiliyan Petrov and am currently trying to secure the signature of Moussa Sissoko instead. I'm still trying to offload Richard Dunne.

My first game of the season was a disaster. Chelsea 4-2 Aston Villa was the result. My second game, against Zilina, finished Zilina 0-8 Aston Villa, meaning I'm guaranteed a place in the groups, basically. And then my second League game was great, Aston Villa 4-0 Arsenal - Darren Bent has 5 goals in 2 appearances.

I have just managed to secure Sissoko's transfer for £19M - excited to have him at the club.

My squad is now:

Enyeama, Guzan, Walker, Young, Cahill, Dunne, Collins, Clark, Cuellar, Warnock, Bertrand, Sissoko, Reo-Coker, Bender, Makoun, Bannan, Downing, Hazard, Young, Albrighton, Bent, Agbonlahor and Delfouneso

dunne is easy to offload on a loan-to-buy basis. my new db includes AY-->manure so i've got a hefty budget and supplement this with petrov-->juventus which is great business and offloading the rest of the defence and starting again

Yeah, everybody is willing to take Dunne on loan, but I don't want that. I want to sell him outright, get some funds for him now, totally offload the wage budget he takes up, and bring in a fresh face (Ryan Shawcross) with the money I make from his departure. As things stand, I'm spending £33k on wages that I don't have...

Anyway, quick fixture update:

Chelsea 4-2 Aston Villa

Zilina 0-8 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 4-0 Arsenal

Aston Villa 2-0 Zilina

Bolton 1-3 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 3-0 West Brom

League Cup Round 3, I've drawn Sunderland

Europea League group consists of Ajax, Genk and AEK.

in 2018... won league last 4 seasons but finding it tough to compete with the big buys in terms of buying super stars. bank balance even after quarter final champ league run only ever about 30 mill and by end of season down to 5.. and thats selling more each season than buying

Yeah, everybody is willing to take Dunne on loan, but I don't want that. I want to sell him outright, get some funds for him now, totally offload the wage budget he takes up, and bring in a fresh face (Ryan Shawcross) with the money I make from his departure. As things stand, I'm spending £33k on wages that I don't have...

Anyway, quick fixture update:

Chelsea 4-2 Aston Villa

Zilina 0-8 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 4-0 Arsenal

Aston Villa 2-0 Zilina

Bolton 1-3 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 3-0 West Brom

League Cup Round 3, I've drawn Sunderland

Europea League group consists of Ajax, Genk and AEK.

i'm just not sure you can sell him outright, and i'll offload in on loan to buy to get the wages down. i've personally brought in luisao and bayal as my DC partnership. plenty of determination, influence, aggression. they'll be beasts.......

I'm trying to base my team around English players and still be successful, seeing as Villa have an already reasonable base for that. I want to bring in Jack Rodwell, Ryan Shawcross, Walker on a permanent basis, and an English goalkeeper, although whether Joe Hart will become available or not I'm unsure. Even if it's around British players, in fact. I could target Allan McGregor and I already have Barry Bannan.

This would make my CB partnership Cahill/Shawcross, who are potential future English CBs. I'd contemplate chasing Phil Jones if he was still around and hasn't moved to another team by the end of the season.

I'm trying to base my team around English players and still be successful, seeing as Villa have an already reasonable base for that. I want to bring in Jack Rodwell, Ryan Shawcross, Walker on a permanent basis, and an English goalkeeper, although whether Joe Hart will become available or not I'm unsure. Even if it's around British players, in fact. I could target Allan McGregor and I already have Barry Bannan.

This would make my CB partnership Cahill/Shawcross, who are potential future English CBs. I'd contemplate chasing Phil Jones if he was still around and hasn't moved to another team by the end of the season.

yeah i've got a few brits. signed kevin mcdonald from burnley he looks quite a player, and i'm playing delph, clark and delph

you're clever being able to play Delph twice ;)

the second delph was a bent....:) the other two i'd look at as potential stars are tom cairney (cant remember where he is) and lallana as a young winger, i like him a lot but am playing defesive wingers cutting inside. delph on right wing, pavel mamaev on left

well i've settled on a way forward and didnt break the bank. but the money from the AY sale plus selling downing (actually to newcastle for 10.5m upfront i rejected liverpool's loan deal and he rejected all the other loan deals that would have been 15m if they'd taken it up) meant i could really invest in the team i wanted.

i decided that having no wingers apart from albie i could either go out and buy cani from villareal (looks really good) and young lallana from southampton - looks like he could really develop into quite a talent - or i could play without real wingers. so i bought pavel mamaev for left midfield and have delph out right side. both cutting inside and mainly getting the ball to a creative midfielder though both of them can pick out a pass and can be developed. so my flanks are two kids really.

brought in taras mykhalyk as a destroyerr, makoun will be backup. and arouca as the midfielder who will make things happen. basically 4 midfielders who will put their bodies on the line, i'm really big on aggression these days, people who will get stuck in.

upfront bent is a paocher and, as ever, i brought in bryan ruiz as his partner. guy has serious guile. technique 18, flair 19, dribbling 16, same shooting stats as bent, and creativty 15 just to round it off.

it's this actually that made me want mclaren because he might have brought in ruiz irl as he managed him at fc twente. he's the kind of player i'd love to see at VP, first time we had a player like this since magic merse

10 games into the season, and my regen I've previously talked about, Jose Antonio Rey, and Gabby Agbonlahor are absolutely tearing it up!

Rey has scored 12, and Agbonlahor has scored an immense 17! He scored 22 in 38 games last season, so he is only 5 of his previous seasons total in 28 less games!

Considering he is now 32, that is pretty impressive :)

I'm happy we have FM. can play a fantasy villa team when IRL things just aren't looking good. how i REALLY wish we'd appointed mclaren with the possibility of bringing in the serious guile that is bryan ruiz.

i'll give the new manager a chance but i'm not hopeful of much good football now. mid-table obscurity if we're lucky. at least in FM i can build the team i want..........

Okay, I've got January 1st and I think it's about time I updated you guys on my progress as Aston Villa manager. Have to say, I'm really enjoying this save, which I didn't expect.

First of all is my Premier League results so far this season. Most of them are actually really good. Besides the defeat to Wolves at home, there is nothing to be ashamed of there. Chelsea were tricky, unfortunately. Pummeled me on my debut, beat me on the return.

87D694D68B98C3922DBFA13AAB508FBF44A3B5E5

And this is how it affects my League standings, which is also very good I think. I think I'm easily on target to achieve my aims of Top 6, and will in fact be disappointed if I don't finish 5th. I want to challenge for 4th, but I won't be disappointed if I miss out on it. Considering my initial expectations, 5th is certainly good enough.

52AF08E54D97F97A75D47999D7E5BDF444F7C1D3

And this is my entire squad. As you can see - two new additions. I signed Jack Rodwell from Everton for £14.5M, with only £2.5M up front. And then Ryan Shawcross, who I had targeted in Summer, was offered to me for £10M. I paid £1M up front and £9M in installments. He turned down offers from Arsenal and Chelsea to join me, which I was really chuffed about. I now have my desired backline (almost). I just need to sign Walker permanently, and hopefully Bertrand will begin to play a hand in more games. Warnock is too good to sit on the bench every week. He's not amazing, but he's definitely better than Bertrand at such an early stage. Richard Dunne, Nigel Reo-Coker, Luke Young and Robert Pires have all been dropped to the Reserves and transfer listed. Hopefully they'll be gone by the end of January. I have no intentions of buying anybody, except Hazard and Walker permanently.

D31A99E86B5FDF552C839D3C47F49EE4FFCF0FF6

Other points worth mentioning:

I am into the League Cup Semi-Final. My results in that competition were:

Aston Villa e2-1 Sunderland

Liverpool 2-3e Aston Villa

Doncaster 1-4 Aston Villa

Peterborough Vs. Aston Villa is the semi-final, with Newcastle/Wolves being the other two teams. I expect to win this competition.

Europa League, against Ajax, AEK and Genk, went like:

Ajax 2-1 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 1-0 Genk

Aston Villa 3-1 AEK

AEK 1-4 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 0-1 Ajax

Genk 0-1 Aston Villa

I comfortably qualified with 12 points in second place. The draw resulted with:

Aston Villa Vs. Bayer Leverkusen (Vs. Sampdoria or LOSC Lille if I beat Leverkusen)

In the FA Cup I've drawn Oxford (LOL), so I have a relatively straight-forward path to the 4th round.

So yeah, that's my progress so far. Really enjoying the save and hoping to achieve the aims I set earlier in the thread.

I'll post at the end of the season.

Okay, I've got January 1st and I think it's about time I updated you guys on my progress as Aston Villa manager. Have to say, I'm really enjoying this save, which I didn't expect.

First of all is my Premier League results so far this season. Most of them are actually really good. Besides the defeat to Wolves at home, there is nothing to be ashamed of there. Chelsea were tricky, unfortunately. Pummeled me on my debut, beat me on the return.

87D694D68B98C3922DBFA13AAB508FBF44A3B5E5

And this is how it affects my League standings, which is also very good I think. I think I'm easily on target to achieve my aims of Top 6, and will in fact be disappointed if I don't finish 5th. I want to challenge for 4th, but I won't be disappointed if I miss out on it. Considering my initial expectations, 5th is certainly good enough.

52AF08E54D97F97A75D47999D7E5BDF444F7C1D3

And this is my entire squad. As you can see - two new additions. I signed Jack Rodwell from Everton for £14.5M, with only £2.5M up front. And then Ryan Shawcross, who I had targeted in Summer, was offered to me for £10M. I paid £1M up front and £9M in installments. He turned down offers from Arsenal and Chelsea to join me, which I was really chuffed about. I now have my desired backline (almost). I just need to sign Walker permanently, and hopefully Bertrand will begin to play a hand in more games. Warnock is too good to sit on the bench every week. He's not amazing, but he's definitely better than Bertrand at such an early stage. Richard Dunne, Nigel Reo-Coker, Luke Young and Robert Pires have all been dropped to the Reserves and transfer listed. Hopefully they'll be gone by the end of January. I have no intentions of buying anybody, except Hazard and Walker permanently.

D31A99E86B5FDF552C839D3C47F49EE4FFCF0FF6

Other points worth mentioning:

I am into the League Cup Semi-Final. My results in that competition were:

Aston Villa e2-1 Sunderland

Liverpool 2-3e Aston Villa

Doncaster 1-4 Aston Villa

Peterborough Vs. Aston Villa is the semi-final, with Newcastle/Wolves being the other two teams. I expect to win this competition.

Europa League, against Ajax, AEK and Genk, went like:

Ajax 2-1 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 1-0 Genk

Aston Villa 3-1 AEK

AEK 1-4 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 0-1 Ajax

Genk 0-1 Aston Villa

I comfortably qualified with 12 points in second place. The draw resulted with:

Aston Villa Vs. Bayer Leverkusen (Vs. Sampdoria or LOSC Lille if I beat Leverkusen)

In the FA Cup I've drawn Oxford (LOL), so I have a relatively straight-forward path to the 4th round.

So yeah, that's my progress so far. Really enjoying the save and hoping to achieve the aims I set earlier in the thread.

I'll post at the end of the season.

you've done well considering you kept the squad more or less intact. i personally bought a completely new defence and a quality striker with guile but that's about it. got a couple more wingers cos i sorted the AY transfer in the editor and also sold downing for 10.5m as i cant see him staying irl

So, season 1 complete. With my aims of:

Finish in the Top 6, Win a Domestic Cup, Make the Quarter Finals, I have achieved the following:

B833D3E921A213B3D01A529E9A2238C4A48FE222

Great success in the League. A great little run of form where I went 6 straight victories in a row essentially pushed my into 3rd, and I was only 1 point behind 2nd place at one point, however I lost a game to Newcastle and missed out on the chance of finishing 2nd. Still, my initial aim of 6th, then a hope of 4th, has been far surpassed and I've comfortably finished 3rd. Next season I'm aiming for the League title, though. Might be a little hard, but I'm sure that I can do it. Darren Bent was my top League goalscorer wth 14 goals, Gabby got 11 and Downing got 10. Second half of the season fixtures:

CCD80F59F089165AE2EFA1B1C6599A35B53B65E9

The League Cup was also a success, as I brought the first piece of silverware to Villa Park in 15 years or something. Here is the final:

D229FDD55946F59AB88AEE702ED8ABA5789ADD43

And the FA Cup was also a success, as I brought the first FA Cup to Villa Park in 54 years:

10F0D7A85E2D0B1E3CFD6BF22A31086BBDB0A5D3

So Automatic qualification for the Champions League, Carling Cup and FA Cup. Fantastic season. The only blemish was being dumped out of the Europa League by Leverkusen 8-5 on aggregate, in the First Round, a bit short of my target of the Quarters. But the rest of my season more than makes up for this. I also managed to tie Hazard down permanently. I'm trying to get Kyle Walker, but the board insist he is "an unreasonable target", which is rubbish. Still, I'll bring him in permanently, look towards Phil Jones (still at Blackburn), and aim to buy a solid striker who can consistently score goals. I need somebody who can do that for me, and Bent/Gabby aren't those men. Having said that, young Delfouneso scored 7 in 14, so he might be worth a punt. I'll look to offload Gabby and bring in somebody reliable to start up front, with Bent as the back-up and Delfouneso are the third choice.

Next season, my targets are very modest:

Win the League, retain either cup, knockouts of the Champions League. That's it.

So, season 1 complete. With my aims of:

Finish in the Top 6, Win a Domestic Cup, Make the Quarter Finals, I have achieved the following:

B833D3E921A213B3D01A529E9A2238C4A48FE222

Great success in the League. A great little run of form where I went 6 straight victories in a row essentially pushed my into 3rd, and I was only 1 point behind 2nd place at one point, however I lost a game to Newcastle and missed out on the chance of finishing 2nd. Still, my initial aim of 6th, then a hope of 4th, has been far surpassed and I've comfortably finished 3rd. Next season I'm aiming for the League title, though. Might be a little hard, but I'm sure that I can do it. Darren Bent was my top League goalscorer wth 14 goals, Gabby got 11 and Downing got 10. Second half of the season fixtures:

CCD80F59F089165AE2EFA1B1C6599A35B53B65E9

The League Cup was also a success, as I brought the first piece of silverware to Villa Park in 15 years or something. Here is the final:

D229FDD55946F59AB88AEE702ED8ABA5789ADD43

And the FA Cup was also a success, as I brought the first FA Cup to Villa Park in 54 years:

10F0D7A85E2D0B1E3CFD6BF22A31086BBDB0A5D3

So Automatic qualification for the Champions League, Carling Cup and FA Cup. Fantastic season. The only blemish was being dumped out of the Europa League by Leverkusen 8-5 on aggregate, in the First Round, a bit short of my target of the Quarters. But the rest of my season more than makes up for this. I also managed to tie Hazard down permanently. I'm trying to get Kyle Walker, but the board insist he is "an unreasonable target", which is rubbish. Still, I'll bring him in permanently, look towards Phil Jones (still at Blackburn), and aim to buy a solid striker who can consistently score goals. I need somebody who can do that for me, and Bent/Gabby aren't those men. Having said that, young Delfouneso scored 7 in 14, so he might be worth a punt. I'll look to offload Gabby and bring in somebody reliable to start up front, with Bent as the back-up and Delfouneso are the third choice.

Next season, my targets are very modest:

Win the League, retain either cup, knockouts of the Champions League. That's it.

good going. what tactics are you employing and are they your own or a download?

yes, the "fonz" can develop into one hell of a striker. i've personally gone for who mclaren would have signed hopefully, bryan ruiz, as the fc with flair helping bent to just be a pure goalscorer

I use my own tactics, yeah. They're the same tactics that I mastered with my Man City team (currently won 8 PLs in a row with the 3 different tactics I have). I was finding that too easy so set myself a tougher task, Villa being the task. My 3 tactics are:

4-3-3:

GK, RB, CB, CB, LB

DM - Defensive Midfielder Support (Bender) or Defensive Midfielder Defend (Makoun)

MCR - Box-to-Box (either Sissoko or Rodwell) or Midfield Centre Support (Bender)

MCL - Deep Lying Playmaker Support (Sissoko) or Advanced Playmaker Support (Bannan)

RW - Winger Attack (Young or Albrighton)

LW - Winger Attack (Downing) or Inside Forward Support (Hazard)

ST - Complete Forward Attack (Bent, Gabby or Delfouneso)

I have slightly adjusted each specific role, mostly to adjust levels of Through Balls and Cross Balls settings, but mainly to prevent Long Shots.

The other formations are slightly adjusted forms of this. The 4-2-3-1 (my most used formation) has the same MC roles, but with Hazard at AMC on Advanced Playmaker Attack, and mostly commonly Sissoko and Bender in behind, on B2B and MCsupport respectively. The 4-4-2 (FM calls it a 4-2-4) employs Sissoko on Deep-lying Playmaker Support and Bender on MCsupport, or Rodwell on B2B, with two strikers being Complete Forward Attacks.

It's worked wonders for me as Man City manager (although it was different in a few positions, such as having a Trequartista and always needing a Deep Lying Playmaker, such is the importance of that role to my City system), England manager (got to the final of the European Championship in 2012, only to lose to France unfortunately), and now Aston Villa. I feel like after Villa I'll go for a tougher challenge and perhaps go down to the Championship, or maybe a team like Blackpool/Wigan, who will be tough to do very well with.

I tend to favour lone-man formations, which is why I won't target Ruiz. Although even if I did, I'd use him in a 2-up-top system as a Complete Forward Attack (my strikers always have this setting). I think my main target will be Llorente or maybe Lukasz Podolski or the likes. I've not given it much thought yet.

I use my own tactics, yeah. They're the same tactics that I mastered with my Man City team (currently won 8 PLs in a row with the 3 different tactics I have). I was finding that too easy so set myself a tougher task, Villa being the task. My 3 tactics are:

4-3-3:

GK, RB, CB, CB, LB

DM - Defensive Midfielder Support (Bender) or Defensive Midfielder Defend (Makoun)

MCR - Box-to-Box (either Sissoko or Rodwell) or Midfield Centre Support (Bender)

MCL - Deep Lying Playmaker Support (Sissoko) or Advanced Playmaker Support (Bannan)

RW - Winger Attack (Young or Albrighton)

LW - Winger Attack (Downing) or Inside Forward Support (Hazard)

ST - Complete Forward Attack (Bent, Gabby or Delfouneso)

I have slightly adjusted each specific role, mostly to adjust levels of Through Balls and Cross Balls settings, but mainly to prevent Long Shots.

The other formations are slightly adjusted forms of this. The 4-2-3-1 (my most used formation) has the same MC roles, but with Hazard at AMC on Advanced Playmaker Attack, and mostly commonly Sissoko and Bender in behind, on B2B and MCsupport respectively. The 4-4-2 (FM calls it a 4-2-4) employs Sissoko on Deep-lying Playmaker Support and Bender on MCsupport, or Rodwell on B2B, with two strikers being Complete Forward Attacks.

It's worked wonders for me as Man City manager (although it was different in a few positions, such as having a Trequartista and always needing a Deep Lying Playmaker, such is the importance of that role to my City system), England manager (got to the final of the European Championship in 2012, only to lose to France unfortunately), and now Aston Villa. I feel like after Villa I'll go for a tougher challenge and perhaps go down to the Championship, or maybe a team like Blackpool/Wigan, who will be tough to do very well with.

I tend to favour lone-man formations, which is why I won't target Ruiz. Although even if I did, I'd use him in a 2-up-top system as a Complete Forward Attack (my strikers always have this setting). I think my main target will be Llorente or maybe Lukasz Podolski or the likes. I've not given it much thought yet.

well irl no chance of ruiz coming to villa now that mclaren has been discounted as the manager.

i prefer to develop my own tactics too the only choice is between sticking with the villa squad and developing delph, bannan, albie or moving to a "destroyer" midfield with fernando belluschi as RW and pavel mamaev as LW and someone like arouca as the central playmaker.

i know Irl randy lerner wants to reduce costs which is hard for me. i tend to buy enough on 48 month deals to allow myself 15m per year going out to pay for my rebuilding.

am tempted to avoid ruiz and use delfouneso as the second striker as he "comes deep to get ball" and already has some decent attributes but i know that the fans are excited by ruiz.

tough one...........

• 1 month later...

Lets kick this thread back into life.

Just bought this game yesterday, started with Villa.

Bought:

Daniel Parejo (6.75m)

Vincent Enyeama (250k)

Darron Gibson (loan, 650k)

2 regens on a loan with view to buy that my scouts have recommended.

Mateo Kovacic (2.2m)

Sold:

Guzan (1.6m)

Petrov (3.5m)

Reo-Coker (3.5m)

Salifou (550k)

Loaned out a few youngsters.

Line up in a 4-5-1/4-3-3

GK: Enyeama/Friedel

RB: Walker/Young

CB: Cuellar/Collins/Dunne/Clark

LB: Warnock/Young/Clark

DM: Makoun/Bradley

CM: Parejo/Gibson/Bradley/Bannan

AMR: Young/Albrighton/Downing/Pires/Gabby

AML: Young/Downing/Pires

ST: Gabby/Bent/Fonz

Going well so far, got off to a bit of a slow start in the league with a few draws and a 3-0 drubbing at the hands of Chelsea, but I've knocked Man United out of the League Cup, beat Man City 5-4 with a last minute Bent header, had 5-0 and 3-0 wins against PSV and Steau Bucharest respectively. Just beat West Brom 2-0 also to go 5th in the league with 15 points after 8 games :thup:

• 2 weeks later...
yep just read that. still, we all knew it was gonna happen didnt we? i actually think we do have a good team for this season

in fact in my latest save i just buy one striker (i already edited the young/downing/given/n'zog transfers in my editor) and a new central defesive partnership because i dont like dunne in the game. i keep most people and play delph/ireland as the cm partnership and they're great.

in fact in my latest save i just buy one striker (i already edited the young/downing/given/n'zog transfers in my editor) and a new central defesive partnership because i dont like dunne in the game. i keep most people and play delph/ireland as the cm partnership and they're great.

Same here. Bent is superb (7 in 3 games for me) and Delph is beasting the midfield at the moment. Am going to try and play similar to real life, balancing the books and not making any huge signings whilst trying to bring the youth through.

Just played Bradford in League Cup and won 7-0 with a team that had Albrighton, The Fonz, Bannan, Gardner, Lichaz, Clark and Hogg in it...the future's bright, the future's claret and blue.

Same here. Bent is superb (7 in 3 games for me) and Delph is beasting the midfield at the moment. Am going to try and play similar to real life, balancing the books and not making any huge signings whilst trying to bring the youth through.

Just played Bradford in League Cup and won 7-0 with a team that had Albrighton, The Fonz, Bannan, Gardner, Lichaz, Clark and Hogg in it...the future's bright, the future's claret and blue.

ARE you using your own tactics or a downloaded one? i like developing my own but dont find i can dominate the game as i did in previous versions.

i've tried to keep the costs low and have only bought one striker and one midfielder. but i totally revamped the defence cos in the game i dont like the current backline and can see warnock/cuellar leaving anyway.

ARE you using your own tactics or a downloaded one? i like developing my own but dont find i can dominate the game as i did in previous versions.

i've tried to keep the costs low and have only bought one striker and one midfielder. but i totally revamped the defence cos in the game i dont like the current backline and can see warnock/cuellar leaving anyway.

I'm actually using this save to develop a tactic before I start afresh wshen my new laptop arrives next week.

I used a couple of downloads to get ideas and then juggled around with the settings and made it my own. I am surprised how much I'm dominating really, and have actually changed completely from my plans to sit deep and counter attack and have instead plumped for a pressing game that's working really well. I do need to put some work into making a counter attacking tactic work though as I've yet to be tested away from home.

I know what you mean about defence but I think Warnock is great, and Clark and Dunne have been solid for me so I don't really need to invest just yet.

I'm actually using this save to develop a tactic before I start afresh wshen my new laptop arrives next week.

I used a couple of downloads to get ideas and then juggled around with the settings and made it my own. I am surprised how much I'm dominating really, and have actually changed completely from my plans to sit deep and counter attack and have instead plumped for a pressing game that's working really well. I do need to put some work into making a counter attacking tactic work though as I've yet to be tested away from home.

I know what you mean about defence but I think Warnock is great, and Clark and Dunne have been solid for me so I don't really need to invest just yet.

I just dont like dunne's fitness in the game. and i reckon warnock'll leave so i offloaded him to liverpool for 3.7m. and brought in william kvist for 1.6 who's been immense. i'm playing stopper/cover so needed different players than villa currently have. my central defensive partnership, for a total of 16m, is joris mathijsen and daniel carrico. both are looking immense.

i'm pretty happy with a tactic i've developed, it's a 4-4-2 very rigid which is theoretically and actually very solid defensively but as n'zog, delph and ireland have ppms that mean they get forward there's some good attacking play.

bought the chap who i think is the most exciting player in the game available to villa: bryan ruiz. he's the reason i wish mclaren had got the job in real life as i would love to see ruiz strutting his stuff in the claret and blue. he's one of the chief reasons fc twente managed to win the eredivisie. bit like motherwell winning the spl, but this guy is amazing. technique 18, flair 19, dribbling 16, shooting attributes the same as bent and some of his strikes and dribbles are just sublime.

i've set bent to advanced forward which means both my front 2 are roaming. the advanced forward thing was accidental, thought i had bent as a paocher but no he was advanced forward. i dont know WHY it works, but bent has 6 in 3 games as advanced forward. would love to know why but i'm keeping it cos it's effective.

yeah, i got a new laptop last year, powerful as f*** just so my fm games would be faster and more enjoyable:)

So just finsihing up my inital test game before striking out on a career with the mighty Villa with an updated database and new laptop and I've got to say things have been going better than I could have hoped.

Am just using Villa's current squad and youth and went on a 13 game unbeaten streak at the start of the season only to be stopped by Chelski away which I don't really mind. Team has been phenomenal scoring for fun and looking quite tight.

I must admit most fo the goals are coming from Darren Bent who has been superb but Delp, NZogbia and Ireland are all chipping in to. Clark has been a rock at the back and whilst Dunne has been temperamental, he's proved to be a sturdy leader.

Just about to start a proper career on the new laptop with the same youth policy and attempts to balance the books. This time I'll offload Heskey early, but might break my own rules and buy in Scotty Parker if I can get him for cheap as I think he'll be a great role model for the young'uns going forwards...we'll see.

Will update with some information and screengrabs once the game's up and running but fingers crossed a British-based youth team led Villa success story is just on the horizon.

hi mate yeah i'm embarking, again on a new save. i sauntered through pre-season scoring for fun and not conceding until i met espanyol then realised i was being torn apart with low anticipation in my midfield.

so i've restarted this time having a destroyer (makoun, but i'm bringing in porto's fernando too) and ireland as advanced playmaker.

using similar tactics that served me well, a 442 v.rigid. it's meant to prevent creativity but i didnt find that a problem. i'm gonna try not to spend an absolute fortune but i, too, updated the db and realsied we made quite a profit from young/downing so i'm ploughing that back in.

my plan is to develop some serious youth (eg. bringing in hull's tom cairney for 3.5m). although irl i'm happy to have n'zogbia, in the game i'd rather have defence minded wide players. playing delph on the righ whatever.

really want to get into the season proper this time.

speak soon

I've just taken over at Villa in the 2013/14 season. Had a quality squad that was mired with some awful loan players. Terminated their contracts and brought in:

Sergio Canales (for £6 million :D) Chris Kirkland (for £1.5 million) Jack Robinson (on loan) and Khouma Babacar (on loan) along with Jack Rodwell (for £9 million)

I'm currently 10th in December but I'm only 4 points off 6th. (With a game in hand).

It's good fun. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all! Been a while, but I'm back - and STILL rocking my Villa save.

Last update was the start of 2019-20, and I'm half way through 2022-23 at the moment. Here's what happened:

2019-20 was by far my worst season. Finished SECOND in the league to Man Utd - came to the last day of the season, we had Charlton away and Utd had Liverpool at Old Trafford. Up until 80 minutes we were a comfortable 2-0 up and Utd were trailing 1-0. The day ended with Charlton coming back to finish 2-2 and Utd scoring in the last minute to make it 1-1, so the league was theirs.

Champions League was not good. Went out in the Quarters thanks to a 7-5 aggregate loss to Arsenal.

Lost 4-1 to Blackburn in the League Cup Quarters (4-1!)

WON the FA Cup 3-2 against Man City

WON the Club World Champs against Cruzerio.

2020-21 was better. Comfortably won the league with 98 points (9 points ahead of 2nd place Man City).

Another early exit from the Champs League: 2-1 on aggregate against Athletico Madrid in the 1st KO round.

Another FA Cup win, 3-1 against Arsenal.

2021-22 so far is going well. Top of the league with 73 points from 26 games (Man City are 2nd with 63 BUT have played 2 less).

Have got Galatasaray in the Champs League 1st KO round, after finishing top of the group with maximum points.

Through to the final of the League Cup where we will play Everton. Semi finals ended with a tremendous 8-2 aggregate win over Man City.

FA Cup is too early to judge.

As regards to players, we're getting to that time where established players at the start of the game are fading out and regens are starting to come to the fore. The EPL in my game is going through a overdue Golden Age of quality strikers (see below).

Man City have Sebastián:

2ag0u9s.jpg

Arsenal have Tarek Guenoun:

345kabp.jpg

We have Paolo Roberto:

24mzvgx.jpg

I had the opportunity to buy Sebastián the season before City, and Tarek Guenoun was offered to me at the same time Arsenal bought him. I regretted both as they have been tearing it up in the league, but I'm pretty happy with Roberto. Awesome player.

Happy with my squad at the moment, but if I want to do any business in the summer, I want Gavin Riley from Arsenal. For me, he'd be a great replacement for Neymar and Kakuta when they begin to lose their physical attributes.

vy8pwo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Started a Villa game from December in the 1st season and i'm really happy with how it's all turned out, took over from GH in the December when Villa were 16th, Guided them to a season finish of 7th which I was happy with, Didn't do anything special in the cups either.

Now my second season was going to be a really exciting, Brought in a few players, Begovic from Stoke, Adebayour from Man City (loan)50% wages,just to name a couple Also managed to keep hold of all my stars, Got of to a great start of the Season beating spurs 8-1 at Villa Park,

his was a great start that just kept on going and was unbeaten in the league upto christmas sat nicely around the top 3, also still doing well in Carling cup. Jan transfer kicked in and I made a few good singings 1 being Adriano from a brazil, Young GK who with plenty of game time has started his Villa life very well. also brought in Enrique from Newcastle as well as O'shea from United, this I felt really strenghend my defensive line, Also got in Caldwell from Wigan as a back up for my DC & DMC as I was playing a 4-5-1 with a DMC, Attack wise a signed up Lukaku.

So the window closed and I was thinking i may have upset the balance of the squad by signin so many players but they all settled in really well and helped my to winning the Carling cup,I did lose in the 5th round of the FA cup but with my League form going so well i wasn't that concerned. Back to the prem..... It came down to me and Chelsea as the runaway teams in the league with Man U giving a late charge at the end, I had a game in hand on chelsea who I was joint top with, Chelsea had the better goal differance, To games left to the end of the Season and I've got Man U and Birmingham as the last game of the season, So If I can get a good result at united it's in my hands, with Uniteds late surge in the league a win for them would have moved then above me into 2nd place, Result 1-1, I'm now top of the table with 1 game left to bitter rivals Birmingham. While Chelsea were at home to Relegated Bolton.

CHAMPIONS!!!!!! Chelsea won but We beat Birmingham to the Fans and Boards delight, So I was really happy with how it all turned out.

Towards the end of the season there was a board takeover with an Italian guy buying out the club and pledging plenty of funds,

True to his world Transfer budget was set at 98Mil, So how could i improve on this squad, well I thought if i was to be playing in the champions league then I need real style at the back, So I've just spent 45mil on Mertzaker and Phil Jones and my spending has stopped there for the mean time.

Well thats it for now ppl, thanks for taking the time to read this. I'll try and get some sceen shots up of my squad some time.

Thought I'd start a game with Villa, using Wallys update from the update forum so all players are where they should be. I set the starting expectations as European Qualification and was given a starting budget of £24m and wages of £1.3m after some bartering with the board.

The squad is not severely lacking in terms of first team players, the spine is fairly good, it just needs some strength in depth and that little bit of quality to be genuine title challengers.

Transfers:

In:

Eden Hazard - £17.5m (£12.5m over 48 Months)

Moussa Sissoko - £16m (All over 48 Months)

Leighton Baines - £11.5m (£10m over 48 Months)

Paolo De Ceglie - £4.3m

Leon Andreasson - £2.1m

Jonny Evans - £750k Loan

Khouma Babacar - £475k Loan

Out:

Gary Gardener - £1.2m – Crystal Palace

Stephen Warnock - £3m – Tottenham

Emile Heskey - £2m – Leicester

Eric Lichaj - £2m – Swansea

James Collins - £2.5m – Sunderland

Squad:

Goalkeepers:

1 Shay Given

22 Brad Guzan

Defenders:

2 Leighton Baines

4 Jonny Evans

5 Richard Dunne

15 Alan Hutton

21 Ciaran Clarke

23 Habib Baye

24 Carlos Cuellar

28 Paolo De Ceglie

30 Leon Andreasson

Midfielders:

7 Stephen Ireland

8 Jermaine Jenas

10 Charles N'Zogbia

11 Gabby Agbonlahor

12 Marc Albrighton

13 Moussa Sissoko

16 Fabien Delph

19 Stylian Petrov

26 Eden Hazard

29 Barry Bannan

Forwards:

9 Darren Bent

14 Nathan Delfouneso

17 Khouma Babacar

Formation and first choice 11

GK(Def) – Shay Given

RB (Def) – Alan Hutton

LB (Def) – Leighton Baines

CB (BP) – Jonny Evans

CB (Cov) – Ciaran Clarke

DMC (Def) – Stylian Petrov

MC (B2B) – Moussa Sissoko

AML (IF) – Eden Hazard

AMR (IF) – Charles N'Zogbia

FC (Poa) – Darren Bent

FC (Tar) – Nathen Delfouneso

I play a direct high tempo game with lots of closing down.

Team Achievements

We are currently sitting second in the Premier League 2 points behind Manchester United on the 2nd of February having played 24 games with a record of won 17 drawn 4 lost 3

The team has also made it to the final of the League cup where we will play Liverpool.

We are also in to the 6th round of the FA Cup.

Individual:

Top Scorer:

Darren Bent – 33

Most Assists:

Charles N'Zogbia – 19

Most MOM:

Darren Bent 8

Best Average rating:

Darren Bent 7.90

Eden Hazard 7.90

End of season one and Mid season two reviews:

Season One

Finished as the most succesful in the cubs Premier league era.

Second to Manchester United, Qualifying for the Champions League.

League Cup Winners, beating Liverpool 3-1 in the final

FA Cup Knocked out by West Brom 3-1 (Round 6)

Player of the year - Darren Bent

Young Player of the year - Charles N'Zogbia

Manager of the year - Me

Top Goalscorer - Darren Bent 38 (51 All competitions)

A great year for the club with a good finish in the premier league and our first taste of top European football to come next season.

Season 2

At the mid point things are not going as well as in the previous season. We are languashing in seventh as of February and are out of both domestic cups in the opening rounds. We were alos knocked out of the champions league group stages finishing 3rd and entering the europa league

At the start of the season I was given £32m to spend by the chairman.

Players in:

(Start of Season)

Khouma Babacar - £12m

Jonny Evans - £5.5m

Marek Hamesik - £22.5m (£17m over 48 Months)

Mattia Destro - Free

Asmir Begovic - £6m

(January)

Sergio Canales - £4.3m

Romario (RB) - £300k

Tobias Figueiredo - £1.2m

Antenor Byram - £1m

Scott Carson - Free (End of contract)

Players out:

Stephen Ireland - £2.5m

Andy Marshall - £135k

Fabien Delph - £2m

James Collins - £1.5m

Richard Dunne - £3m

Stilyian Petrov - £1m

Samir Carruthers - £1.6m

Habib Baye - £400k

Brad Guzan £850k

Once again Darren Bent is our leading scorer with 24 in 31 appearences so far

Squad:

GK

1 Shay Given

22 Asmir Begovic

DF

2 Leighton Baines

3 Jonny Evans

15 Alan Hutton

21 Ciaran Clarke

23 Romario

28 Paolo De Ceglie

31 Antor Byram

MF

7 Barry Bannan

8 Jean II Makoun

10 Charles N'Zogbia

11 Gabby Agbonlahor

12 Marc Albrighton

13 Moussa Sissoko

17 Marek Hamsik

19 Sergio Canales

26 Eden Hazard

FW

4 Mattia Destro

9 Darren Bent

14 Nathan Delfouneso

25 Khouma Babacar

1st choice 11 and formation

GK(Def) – Asmir Begovic

RB (Def) – Alan Hutton/Romario

LB (Def) – Leighton Baines/Paolo De Ceglie

CB (BP) – Jonny Evans

CB (Cov) – Ciaran Clarke

DMC (DLPD) – Moussa Sisoko/Jean Makoun

MC (APA) – Marek Hamsik/Sergio Canales

AML (IF) – Eden Hazard/Gabby Agbonlahor

AMR (IF) – Charles N'Zogbia

FC (Poa) – Darren Bent

FC (Tar) – Nathen Delfouneso/Khouma Babacar

• 2 weeks later...

Started a game as Villa yesterday afternoon with the aim of making the whole squad a British & Irish squad. Pre-season and transfers has gone fine, but I am finding things difficult once we got into competitive action. Off the top of my head due to me being at work, here is an update:

Transfers - In

Lee Hodgson - £2m

Tom Cairney - £3m

Danny Murphy - £3m

Leighton Baines - £12m

Ryan Shawcross - £13.5m

Jordan Spence - £3m

Darron Gibson - Loan

Alex Smithies - £1.3m

Transfers - Out

Jean Makoun - Loan £1m

Stilian Petrov - Loan £800k

Habib Beye - Loan £250k

Carlos Cuellar - £3.5m

Luke Young - £2m

Brad Guzan - £1m

Pre-season was fine. I won all but 2 games, losing to Lyon (h) 1-0 and Bayern (h) 2-0. I started in Europe with a comfortable passing into the group phase which consists of Bayer Leverkusen, Porto and Marribor (tough group, I know :().

The league I have found difficult, results are as follows:

Aston Villa 1-3 Arsenal

West Ham 2-1 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 0-0 Newcastle

Bolton 0-0 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 2-1 Everton

Man Utd 3-1 Aston Villa

In the Wafa Cup:

Marripor 1-3 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 0-4 Bayer Leverkusen

The defeat to Leverkusen wasnt as bad as it shows. It took them 65mins to score, and it was quite an even game until their 2nd goal.

A second string Man Utd side beat me 3-1 at Old Trafford in the Carling Cup, much to my annoyance. I seem to be getting dominated in games as well, and Im not sure what I could do tactic wise, because usually I am on the ball.

Archived