The Academic Resurgence of Man Utd

Oxford were always going to get promoted - my mother was from down there!

By the way for all concerned - I would like to clarify something I have discovered myself to modify the rules slightly.

I am now going to class the term "British Regens" to mean all regens who have come through the academies of British clubs (not transferred in from anywhere else) and any other British regens you can find at other clubs!

One last 'modification' is that I have decided that the rule of players having to be at the club for two years is to be relaxed to one year once you reach the Championship - as by this stage you begin to be able to sign regens up to the age of 18 who are less inclined to wait 2 years and have a tendency to become unhappy.

I hope these changes will enhance the experience of doing this challenge

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a rule for how long a regen from your own academy has to wait before first team football is possible? I was going to naturally assume that they could play whenever.

I've just made it through a long contract re-negotiation phase in early march (title was secure!) with only Fraizer Campbell refusing to sign a new one out of the bunch coming to the end of their contracts. Seriously facing up to the likelihood that he might leave.

Apologies for stealing the format, hoped you wouldn't mind since it's very neat this way.

Frankles' Man Utd - Season 1 - Blue Square Premier

Squad 2007/08

Competitions

Blue Square Premier - 1st

FA Cup - lost 2nd Round v Crewe

Community Shield - lost v Chelsea

Setanta Shield - Winners

FA Trophy - Winners

Proof of Legal Transfers

Transfers 2007/08

Rory Barker Lee Bunce Craig Corbett

Season Summary

In the end, I didn't quite make the achievement of no goals conceded in the league all season. It was disappointing to lose the charity shield since I'd been 2-0 up at half time, only to lose 3-2. David Beckham was the star of the season in my eyes, though Fraizer Campbell won the Fans' Player of the Year award, and Febian Brandy was top goalscorer (possibly owing to Campbell being injured for 3 months). Special mention to Wes Brown as well, who by the end of the season had 14 goals in all competitions (nearly grabbed a hat trick on the last day).

Lost a lot of staff to larger clubs, which I'd imagine has probably been a problem for most people taking on this challenge. Still since Man Utd tend to have more staff than they need, even at Premiership level, I haven't found myself scouring the job centre just yet.

The three players brought in are probably not good enough to ever break the first team, I'm just one of those managers who likes to feel as if they're bringing in fresh faces every now and again. Might be the equivalent of your wife deciding she wants a new dress only to never wear it. Still, being regens they tend not to be the most expensive dresses in the shop.

Roll on League 2!

Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

4 Goals shipped all Season? 2 points dropped? I know it's an easy task at the start but well played that man icon14.gif

It was a goalless draw that led to the loss in points. If it hadn't been fairly early on and away from home at Aldershot (the eventual runners up), I would have been fairly annoyed.

The challenge at the start I think is more to do with squad happiness. Looking at Darren Fletcher's profile, he appears on the shortlist of 87 clubs around the world. So whilst I continue to reject offers for him, he gets slowly and slowly more angry. Likewise with most of the first-teamers below 27-28.

Originally posted by jackyb1989:

@Frankles

Great first season mate! Best performance so far! Did you manage to get your players signed up to new contracts? Losing Fraizer would be a big blow!

Quite literally got everyone I wanted signed up for a couple of seasons, but Fraizer's still keeping me hanging. The silver lining is that Brandy was strong last season and having experimented in this season's friendlies I'm confident that Welbeck, Dong and Fagan would be fairly good at this level. Wes Brown still knocks in goals for giggles too!

Originally posted by MoNgOoSe_N.F.F.C.:

I have started my challenge but do have problems with posting screenshotsicon_frown.gif so unless i can get it fixed you will have to take my honest word for it.

So far ive played 5 league games and am unbeaten with becks scorring in every game without fail so faricon_biggrin.gif

What kind of screenshot problems?

Man Utd - Season 4 - Championship

Squad

Competitions

Coca-Cola Championship - 4th

Playoffs - Winners

FA Cup - lost 3rd Round v Man City icon_frown.gif

League Cup - lost 3rd Round v Everton

Top Player Performances

Most Goals - Fraizer Campbell & Danny Welbeck - 34

Most Assists - Darron Gibson - 24

Highest Ave. Rating - Darron Gibson - 7.51

Player of the Year - Danny Welbeck

Season Summary

Oh my god!! I honestly did not believe that my squad was capable of instant promotion again, but boy did they prove me wrong! We were always in the hunt for automatic promotion up to the last game of the season. Ultimately we had to settle for the play-offs, where we lost 1-0 to Burnley in the first away leg, only to win 5-1 at home in the second leg. And then we dominated against Southampton to gain promotion to the Premiership. Danny Welbeck and Darron Gibson really matured into regular first teamers this year and were critical in our promotion. What worries me is our uncompetitiveness against Premiership opposition in the cups - i just hope its not a promotion too soon and we do a Derby!

Lets just see what happens!

Last Season's aims revisited

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> Top half finish (SURPASSED)

<LI> Try and go past 3rd round of both FA Cup & League Cup (FAILED)

<LI> Preserve the squad at its current level (ACHIEVED)

[b}Aims for Next Season[/b]

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> Survive

<LI> Try and go past 3rd round of both FA Cup & League Cup

<LI> Preserve the squad at its current level

Proof of Legal Transfers

Transfers

Abel

Collett

Ferguson

Hill

Miranda|Miranda History

Smith

Ward

Thanks for reading

Only regens with facegens? I turned off that options in preferences but now i see that i must click it once more.

As for the game i finally figured it out. When i tried to load the save game it exited out of the game but after half a minute or less it entered back in and the game was loaded. Nice idea but i have 2 questions?

1. Why didnt you put them in blue square north/south?

2. Why didnt you made someone else play in the community shield? I mean i lost against Chelsea 7:0 just because i had no players that are worth anything.

All in all this is a fantastic challenge. Thank you and keep up the good work.

@slammerinho - glad you've got it sorted and can play now. To answer your questions, it was purely personal preference why I put them in the conference, I thought that it would cut down the number of 'easy years' so it wouldn't get boring before the real challenge kicked in. And about the community shield, I don't think its possible to change who is in the community shield, I changed their finishing position for the season before but they are still in it, I guess it may be hard-coded

@Frazza Pee, The regen rules are as follows.

Blue Square Premier - League 1: You can only sign BRITISH regens aged 16 or under

These players must spend 2 YEARS at the club before you can play them in first team games

Championship - Second CONSECUTIVE season in Premiership: You can only sign BRITISH regens aged 18 or under

These players must spend at least ONE YEAR at the club before they can play first team football

From the start of your second consecutive season in the Premiership: you can sign regens of any nationality aged 18 or under

The one year wait for first team football STILL APPLIES

Definition of a British Regen: Any regen who is of British nationality or a regen of any nationality who 'spawned' in a British academy

Hope that makes more sense

@Dale0718 - WOW!! Great job mate! I thought that it would be difficult to do so but not impossible. There are some very good players in the starting side who could win a one-off game against Chelsea but thats very rare.

Anyway, Great Job!!!

@Dale0718 - sounds like you've got a great game going there - maybe you will be the first player to win every league game in the first season?

And to answer your question, yes you can send those regens out on loan for those two years, its probably the best thing to do tbh!

Originally posted by minisav:

Good idea IMO.

Thought out well and good presentation.

You have been paying attention to the rules icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

Can you plz make one of these for Arsenal in the Blue Square South?

I'm not sure which of the players in Arsenal were there as a youth team, though. Fabregas was there at the age of 16 but he almost immediately joined the senior team.

Great challenge this - I'm following with interest. As BB8 suggests, someone should do the same for L'Arse too.

One observation - looks like the ol' corner exploit is being fully utilized by some, what with 66 goals for Wezza from all those assists (corners) by Bex. Is everyone playing from that same hymn-sheet? Shouldn't matter in the lower leagues but by the time you reach the EPL, that one trick could make all the difference.

Originally posted by knighty99:

Top player performances

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gifTop Scorer- Wes Brown- 66 icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Most assists- David Beckham- 83

Ave. Rating- Wes Brown- 8.16

Fans Player of the Year- David Beckham

How the hell did this happen? icon_confused.gif

I'm tempted to give this challenge a go, but I'm still on FM07 so can't just download, will have to edit the database myself.

Just a few questions so I can have the editing as similar as possible.

- What teams were moved up a division to accomodate Manyoo's demotions?

- How much were the senior players' wages reduced by, and what was the overall wage budget reduced to?

- What was the reputation figure reduced to?

- All players who weren't with United at the age of 16 from their academy have to be sent back to their previous clubs?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to trying this out, looks like a good challenge. icon14.gif

Originally posted by ~Ian~:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knighty99:

Top player performances

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gifTop Scorer- Wes Brown- 66 icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

How the hell did this happen? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably used the corner tactic but I could be wrong

Originally posted by MikelLUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ~Ian~:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knighty99:

Top player performances

Yeah you are right I used the corner tactic, which as Wes has a lot better heading stats than most of the Blue square players would have, became very fruitful

How the hell did this happen? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably used the corner tactic but I could be wrong </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

@knighty99 - now I have to say that you have done very well for your first season but I'm afraid I'm going to have to take issue with your use of the corner tactic. Now as its more than likely to win the BSP by that margin I'm not going to disqualify you or anything extreme, but I am going to courteously ask you to refrain from using the corner tactic from now on. I know that I have not put down an explicit rule about this, as I thought it had been sorted by the last patch - but now I see that it hasn't I am inserting it now.

This is a warning to you and to everyone taking part in this challenge - ANYONE USING THE CORNER TACTIC SHALL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE CHALLENGE but I offer amnesty now to any current competitors to 'repent' without punishment.

@Bloodbore8 - if you want me to make a similar one for Arsenal then if you can provide me with info on which players stay and which go and to where then I will gladly make it. The same goes for anyone who wants one made for any club in particular.

@Kassien, hang on in there! It will be worth it in the end and they generally cheer up after a while! I have managed to keep every single major player all the way through to the Premiership so its not impossible!

Archived