I've got ninety thousand pounds in my pyjamas...

Terk

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryan, stat sheets will be posted at the end of December and the end of the season icon_smile.gif

Cheers for the continued support, everyone else icon_smile.gif

--------------------------------------

English F.A. Cup

2nd Qualifying Round

FMS United vs Rothwell (Stade de Mao, Saturday 2nd October 2004, Attendance 459)

With a team from an even worse league than that in which we plyed our trade visiting us in our first venture into the F.A. Cup, we were more than confident enough that we would be involved in the next qualifying round. So confident, in fact, that I fielded mavericktango from the start, still the only of our strikers not to have netted in competitive football. Perhaps it was over confidence like that which was to blame for the fact that the score was 1-1 at half time.

Or perhaps it was dixie flatline who was to blame. We had, after all, taken the lead after half an hour of dull football, flipsix3 nudging the ball into the area for mavericktango to break his duck with a low shot past Kevin Worthington in the Rothwell goal. Dixie, however, was apparantly set on irritating me to the greatest degree possible, and a minute into first half injury time, thumped his attempted clearance against Rothwell striker Simon Griffiths and simply watched as the ball looped into the back of the net.

HD was thrown on in the centre of midfield at half time, united_forever had been unable to stamp any sort of authority on the game, and within seven minutes, the young Scot had us back in front. It was nadessico who had provided the cross from which HD netted his first, and it was the Evertonian who also laid on his second, the goal that effectively killed off any chance of an upset. Just to be sure though, Gricehead laid on HD’s hat-trick, a goal truly worthy of such a feat as he deftly chipped the ball over Worthington.

Final Score: FMS United 4 – 1 Rothwell

Goals: mavericktango (34), Griffiths (45+1), HD (52, 60, 63)

Man of the Match: HD (10)

News: F.A. Cup 3rd Qualifying Round Draw: vs Lincoln Utd (Away)

I was forced to miss that penalty. icon_mad.gif

Anyway, it's nice that I'm performing regulary. Great story! icon_smile.gif

By the way, has there been a thread or something where we have posted our stuff. Since it's funny that I do lot of standards and I'm left-back. Since that how it is in reality.

English F.A. Cup

3rd Qualifying Round

Lincoln United vs FMS United (Ashby Avenue, Wednesday 20th October 2004 – Attendance 2,110)

With the resounding win over Rothwell in the previous round still fresh in our minds, we moved onto face Lincoln, confident in the expectation that we would continue our march the the first round proper of the most famous domestic trophy. We would have to do so without Raptor, however, the Dutch centre back cried off with a sprained wrist, and I’ll leave it up to your own collective imagination as to how he sustained such an injury.

Playing in front of the biggest crowd to turn out for one of our games yet, we didn’t seem in the least bit overawed, and as was expected took the game to the hosts from the very outset. With Ell and Back returning in goal, we wanted to give him as little to do as possible, and for the first twenty minutes we managed that, making sure that the game was played in Lincoln’s half, and taking the lead through glamdring’s curling free kick in the process.

In hindsight, I perhaps should have listened more to chesterfan2’s insistence that he was the only competant ‘keeper we had on the books, as Ell and Back did his best Bagpuss impression, standing deadly still as Derek Asamoah headed the ball past him from Charlie Trout’s pinpoint cross.

We were still the better side though, and how we didn’t have the lead back before half time remains a mystery. We barely even made Simon Ward in the Lincoln goal work for his money, Gricehead firing over the bar on three occasions when he had the time and space to shoot, and then when a pass would have put glamdring in the clear, he decided to try and lob Ward from thirty yards, only to see his effort fly over the top of the stand behind the goal.

We did eventually find ourselves back in front, and indeed it was Gricehead who bagged the goal, but not until just before the hour mark. As our midfield grew more and more frustrated at the misuse of their best efforts, we relied more on long balls from the back, and it was such a ball from irishregan that set Gricehead free, and the English striker calmly slotted his shot past Ward to score what should have been the match winning goal.

That, however, was reckoning without Ell and Back being in goal. Five minutes from time, with us still well on top in terms of both possession and territory, an innocuous shot from Asamoah was spilt by our pointless goalkeeper and substitute Rick Ranshaw made it to the loose ball first, slamming it into the back of the net as the forlorn Ell and Back looked on.

We should still have had further goals, Nadessico, on as a sub for glamdring, had cracked a shot off the bar when we led for the second time, and as the clock ticked into time added on, another substitute, Brian of Nazareth, had an effort disallowed for offside having planted his forehead on the end of Peacemaker7’s cross.

Final Score: Lincoln United 2 – 2 FMS United

Goals: glamdring (18), Asamoah (31), Gricehead (59), Ranshaw (85)

Man of the Match: Charlie Trout (9)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That, however, was reckoning without Ell and Back being in goal. Five minutes from time, with us still well on top in terms of both possession and territory, an innocuous shot from Asamoah was spilt by our pointless goalkeeper and substitute Rick Ranshaw made it to the loose ball first, slamming it into the back of the net as the forlorn Ell and Back looked on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

united_forever, you are back from injury and have played, you just haven't been doing anything of note in the matches

------------------------------------------------------

English F.A. Cup

3rd Qualifying Round Replay

FMS United vs Lincoln United (Stade de Mao, Saturday 23rd October 2004 – Attendance 530)

Being smacked over the head with a shovel could be described as painful. It’d likely be a good description too. The shovel wielding hands were owned by chesterfan2 and the pain now throbbing at the side of my head was apparantly borne out of frustraion. I had once again picked Ell and Back, I had figured he couldn’t be as bad as he was in the last match, and indeed would be eager to impress. But after watching him conprehensively beaten by Brendon McDaid’s near post header, chesterfan could not hide his anger any more.

The goal had put us behind, and to be fair we deserved nothing else. And we barely did anything worthwhile in the match until well into the second half. Educated Hick, who had been kept easily quiet, managed to get away from his marker down the right, and the cross he delivered was taken first time on the volley by Spav, levelling the scores entirely against the run of play.

Now, as the higher division side, you would have expected us to go on from there, press home our talent advantage and win through to the next round by a goal or two. Had it not been for the very impressive Simon Ward in Lincoln’s goal, we may have done that. Twice he saved from Spav and once from each of Hick and Nadessico when they were presented with good chances, but nothing we did could break past him.

Finally extra time was called for, though I was never going to find out if even this kind of win would calm chesterfan, as two minutes from the interval of the added half hour, Leo30 fouled Jason Sedlan just inside the penalty area and Danny George netted from the spot. There was still time to rescue the situation, but it was not to be, some more heroics from Ward kept us at bay, and much to my chagrin, we were out of the F.A. Cup.

Final Score: FMS United 1 – 2 Lincoln United (after extra time)

Goals: McDaid (21), Spav (68), George (pen 103)

Man of the Match: Simon Ward (9)

News: F.A. Trophy 1st Round Draw: FMS United vs Evesham

English Conference South

Game: 9/42

Margate vs FMS United (Crabbe Athletic Ground, Wednesday 27th October 2004 – Attendance 676)

It wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect that having moaned, whinged and done everything under the sun to try and persuade me to put him in the team, chesterfan2 might have actually be determined to prove his worth to me when he did get the nod. Well said nod was given for our return to league action, but within three minutes he was picking the ball out of his net and within thirty he was insisting that he needed to be substituted, despite the after match analysis being unable to indentify any sort of injury.

Dixie Flatline, however, was thrown on for chesterfan, though he had little to do as we began to build some pressure in the game. Nine minutes after the ‘keeper had arrived on the field, he sent a booming clearance down the right flank which Educated Hick managed to keep infield. With many of our players still in the top half of the field from a corner just moments before, we had a wealth of attacking opportunities, and Hick cut the ball back to the edge of the area where axeman was waiting, and the centre back drilled the ball into the top corner of the net.

We were by now the far better side and Hick showed chesterfan2 the manly way to play as, having taken a knock on th knee in a robust challenge, he refused to come off the field. Indeed, the young American picked himself up and two minutes later had the ball in the back of the net. Glamdring had been cutting through the Margate defence like Gandalf’s sword, and it was his pinpoint cross that Hick volleyed into the roof of the net to give us the lead.

It was a lead we should have held onto, in fact it was a lead that we should have extended, but a profligacy in front on goal cost us dear as, three minutes from time, Aaron Barnett broke clear of our defence and lofted an equaliser over Dixie.

Final Score: Margate 2 – 2 FMS United

Goals: Stadhart (3), axeman (39), Educated Hick (64), Barnett (87)

Man of the Match: Educated Hick (8)

News: Educated Hick out for 1 week (twisted knee)

Drop the incompetent netminding fool immediately !

Best get that one in before anyone else does.

And By The Way....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

Originally posted by chesterfan2:

Cjhesterfieldfan2 ? Who he ?

You, if we drop the "field" and the typo bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I can refer the gentleman to the Alanis Morissette classic, 'Ironic'. One more bit of proof to add to the list.

English Conference South

Game: 10/42

FMS United vs Welling (Stade de Mao, Wednesday 3rd November 2004 - Attendance 382)

Against a side sitting 20th in the league, it had been expected that we would claim our first win in a month. Welling had not yet managed a clean sheet in their league campaign and with our capacity for scoring (even if we did concede a few too many for my liking) there could be no other result than an FMS win. After a build up like that, I bet it's hardly surprising that we could force nothing but a goalless draw.

In fact, we came closer to losing the game than we did to winning it. Dixie Flatline had been selected ahead of chesterfan2 (if he was going to claim injury, he was going to miss games as if he was unfit) and the Aussie had to be alert at both ends of the game to keep Welling out, two saves in particular were plucked from the top drawer and worthy of his man of the match award.

We had enough chances to kill the game off ourselves, Spav had started up front, but by the hour mark - his raft of missed opportunities ever growing - he was pulled off and replaced by mavericktango, who proved to be just as inept as his Australian colleague. It seemed nothing we did could force the ball on target, let alone past 'keeper Charlie Mitten, and to be honest we could count ourselves lucky to claim the point that kept us in fifth place.

Final Score: FMS United 0 - 0 Welling

Man of the Match: Dixie Flatline (8)

May I be the first to say, Hats off to Dixie Flatline for that performance.

And great work boss icon14.gif, picking such a fine netminder for this game (figure I best tow the line if I want to get selected again, especially after the spade thing icon_razz.gif)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Suma:

How I did miss this one? I Read most of it with the exception of the last few posts in the second page.

nice one and my only question is, who is close to retiring? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Corrected my spelling and grammer mistake.

My Spelling sucks sometimes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terk:

Dixie Flatline, however, was thrown on for chesterfan, though he had little to do as we began to build some pressure in the game. Nine minutes after the ‘keeper had arrived on the field, he sent a booming clearance down the right flank which Educated Hick managed to keep infield. With many of our players still in the top half of the field from a corner just moments before, we had a wealth of attacking opportunities, and Hick cut the ball back to the edge of the area where axeman was waiting, and the centre back drilled the ball into the top corner of the net.

It was a lead we should have held onto, in fact it was a lead that we should have extended, but a profligacy in front on goal cost us dear as, three minutes from time, Aaron Barnett broke clear of our defence and lofted an equaliser over Dixie.

Final Score: Margate 2 – 2 FMS United

Goals: Stadhart (3), axeman (39), Educated Hick (64), Barnett (87)

Man of the Match: Educated Hick (8)

News: Educated Hick out for 1 week (twisted knee)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew I'd score one day. And what a fitting way to start my scoring for the team icon_biggrin.gif

It's a carbon copy of the first ever goal I scored in an official match, aged 10 icon_biggrin.gif

Though my next shot, in the same match, resulted in the goalkeeper having to be substituted due to a knockout. He was unlucky enough to be on the receiving end of my drive icon_biggrin.gif

Suma, no one is close to retirning. At the start of the game I set everyone's age to 18 so that this could run for a good few years without anybody getting too old

---------------------------------

F.A. Trophy

1st Round

FMS United vs Evesham (Stade de Mao, Saturday 6th November 2004 - Attendance 163)

With positive results proving somewhat difficult to come by over the past month, we were somewhat pleased to be facing lower division opposition again, if nothing else a victory a win might provide us with a bit of confidence to take back into league action. Dixie Flatline kept his place in the side ahead of chesterfan, and Ell and Back remained on the bench whilst HD retained his place despite the return to fitness of his American competition, Educated Hick.

It turned out to be a good decision to pleave HD in the side, the young Scot arrived late in the box in the seventh minute, controlling Tanel's cross with the inside of his boot before clipping his shot past David Francis. By half time we were two in front and looking good for a place in the second round, united_forever had found glamdring down the left, and his cross was met superbly by the diving header of Peacemaker7.

Evesham rallied in the second half, perhaps it was us taking the foot off the gas, but for whatever reason they forced their way back into the match, Barry Wright losing his marker at the back post and firmly heading past Dixie to halve the gap we had opened.

in the final half hour, however, we regained contorl of the match and were verging on being rampant in our attack. United_forever smacked a shot off the bar, and was then replaced by sherm who managed exactly the same feat within two minutes of coming on. Glamdring was causing problems in tandem with Tanel down the left, and it was the full back who eventually sealed our passage through, striking a penalty home after Dean Parkin had felled irishregan in the area.

Final Score: FMS United 3 - 1 Evesham

Goals: HD (7), Peacemaker7 (22), Wright (58), Tanel (pen 84)

Man of the Match: Peacemaker7 (9)

News: F.A. Trophy 2nd Round Draw: FMS United vs Blyth

International News

Australia

On form striker Spav has been named in the Australia squad alongside the likes of Mark Viduka and Harry Kewell for the games against China and Guam.

France Under-19

Right back OMDave has been included amongst the pick of France's youngsters for the double-header against Norway and Bulgaria.

Scotland Under-19

Rejuvenated midfielders BobBev and Peacemaker7 have been named in the squad for the games vs the U.A.E and Poland.

Scotland Under-21

Right winger HD has been called up to Rainer Bonhof's squad to face U.A.E and Poland.

United States of America

Educated Hick is the surprise name in the US squad for the international friendly against Tunisia.

All games are due to take place between the 11th and 17th of November and have caused the re-scheduling of FMS United's English Conference South games against Bishop's Stortford and Lewes.

1 assist and a penalty. Finally I did something good. icon_biggrin.gif

Too bad Jelle Goes doesen't watch Conference. I'd love to get into Estonian NT. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">form striker Spav has been named in the Australia squad alongside the likes of Mark Viduka and Harry Kewell for the games against China and Guam. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hope i make the aussie team eventually

English Conference South

Game: 11/42

St. Albans vs FMS United (Clarence Park, Saturday 20th November 2004 - Attendance 382)

With none of the lads actually getting a game for their respective national sides after their call-ups (only Peacemaker7 was selected in a match day squad, but his services were not required from the bench against Poland) I was slightly ****ed off about the two postponed games which meant we dropped down to eighth in the table. I was pleased that OMDave hadn't featured, however, indeed a nice holiday might have done him well as he would be needed with irishregan out for two weeks with a groin strain.

The first half of this match passed with the home side very much on top. We could barely get hold of the ball, and when we did it was given back to St Albans in quick fashion. flipsix3, united_forever and Faramir were simply being overrun in the middle of the park, with Educated Hick, Nadessico and Gricehead cut off from any supply of attacking ball.

Changes were made at the break with sherm replacing united_forever, HD taking Hick's lace and Brian of Nazareth coming on up front, but it seemed at first not to have made any difference as St Albans finally took the lead they deserved, Gray Wraight striking a low, hard shot past Dixie Flatline just before the hour mark.

St Albans took their lead to mean that they could afford to sit back, and all of a sudden we had time and space on the ball. With the home side intent on merely riding out time until the end, we exerted any measure of control over the game that we wanted, and used it to full advantage, pulling level eighteen minutes from time when HD's free kick into the box was knocked down by Brian of Nazareth and -Xenon- planted his shot in the bottom corner.

St Albans were in shock after our goal and tried to step back on the gas, but in doing so just panicked and gave us further space to play with, space that provided us a second goal when HD played a through ball for sherm to race onto a clip a shot past James Robinson in the home goal. Every effort the home side now made was to our advantage, and an eight minute turnaround in the match was complete when Nadessico's cross was headed home by Brian of Nazareth for three points which moved us back up to sixth.

Final Score: St Albans 1 - 3 FMS United

Goals: Wraight (59), -Xenon- (72), sherm (78), Brian of Nazareth (80)

Man of the Match: (bizarrely and inexplicably) Educated Hick (8)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leo30:

Come on the FMS United. I'm loving this story. Keep wondering whether I've been dropped or just lucky I haven't made any unforced errors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In playing the game I have a rotation policy so that everyone gets games, but you only really gen mentioned in the reports if you do something good/bad. I thought about listing the team for each game, but my previous efforts have really died in trying to give too much information, so I thought it best not to.

I will be posting stat sheets at the end of December and the end of the season so you can see exactly how you've been doing.

OK, far be it from me not to take advice on board. As of now, I'll print a screenshot of the player ratings screen at the end of each match. The 'Final Score' bit will now be a link to said shot (as long as this all works) but be warned, if the story collapses because I can't be arsed doing all these screenshots,on your head be it icon_razz.gif

-----------------------------------------------

English Conference South

Game: 12/42

Newport County vs FMS United (Newport Stadium, Tuesday 23rd November 2004 - Attendance 760)

Thank the sweet lord that Alan Hansen never watches FMS United games. I'm not sure even his vocabulary would be able to come up with the right words to describe our efforts to keep our sheet clean against Newport. Whomever it is complies the match ratings plainly never watched the game either, as everyone (bar substitute Gricehead) was given a nice, comfortable rating of 7.

We had managed to take the lead, HD crossing for glamdring to score with a diving header, before The Art of How Not to Defend: Part 1 was aired, okkas totally losing the man he was meant to mark, Lee Phillips, who headed home unchallenged from a corner. Heaven only knows how our wanton disregard for possession of the football failed to give Newport the lead before half time, but they were kind enough to take it five minutes after the re-start, Phillips skinning Leo30 down the flank before crossing for Jamie Moralee to head home.

I perhaps should have made some changes before the triple substitution I threw on with only thirteen minutes remaining, and perhaps I should have subbed one of our defenders, but given that we'd carved out a few chances for ourselves, only for mavericktango to prove that he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, I felt it best to alter our attacking options.

And, genius that I am, it worked. Within six minutes of his appearance on the field, Gricehead had the ball in the back of the net, controlling glamdring's cross before sidefooting it past Ian Ganfield in the Newport goal. I would have been delighted to escape with a mere point, but such a nice chap is Gricehead that he decided to give us a shot at all three, collecting Dixie Flatline's heaving upfield clearance, working his way clear of the defence and lofting the ball over Ganfield.

Praise the Lord and all such other things. Or not. I should have known better than to trust that we would hold on. With even three of the four extra minutes at the end of the match passed, I should have anticipated disaster. Yet in my childlike naïvety, I thought the three points were in the bag. With sixteen of those extra seconds left, Ganfield launched a harmless ball upfield. It was harmless up until the very moment that okkas and axeman decided to let it bounce between them and that neither of them would make a chase for it. That allowed Gethin Jones a clear run on goal and he calmly placed his shot to the side of Dixie and stole from us two points that we never deserved.

Newport County 3 - 3 FMS United

Goals: glamdring (8), Phillips (14), Moralee (50), Gricehead (83, 89), Jones (90+4)

Man of the Match: Gethin Jones (8)

This is very weird but true. I woke up with a groin strain this morning, just like my FMS alter ego! Remarkable coincidence, are you sticking pins in voodoo dolls or something Terk? icon_smile.gif

P.S. I am happy with the occasional player ratings tables, because I am enjoying this story and don't want it to fall flat through Terk having to post too much detail.

Archived