African Adventure

Southern Springbok

Wednesday 19 July 2006 9:00AM

As soon as I set foot off the plane I knew I had made the right decision coming to South Africa. There was something about the way the golden sun shone, the expansive blue sky, the aura of Africa. I walked across the tarmac of Oliver Tambo International Airport towards the terminal, my bag slung over my shoulder, whistling a distantly remembered African tune I remembered from my childhood.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Gordon Rawson, born in Sydney, Australia on 29th July 1975 to Richard and Susan Rawson, both migrants from South Africa. Right from the start, football was always part of my life. Whether it was watching my beloved Arsenal with my Dad as a toddler or when I actually took the pitch as a 6 year old, I was always around football during formative years. As a youth I played fairly competitively as a goalkeeper but never had the passion to try and take it further, even tough I loved the game. It seemed to me that I needed an avenue where I could stay with football, and that avenue came at university when I took up my first Coaching job… the rest, as they say is history.

I have now been Managing/Coaching for 10 years, my most recent post was a 6 year stint at the Wollongong Wolves where went to the State League final 4 years in a row, being triumphant twice. While I had a fantastic time there, I knew that I wanted a new challenge to try and improve myself as a manager. It was a tough decision, but I handed in my resignation, said my goodbyes and went on the job hunt. After being unsuccessful in my application for a couple of A-League vacancies at Sydney FC and Perth Glory, I thought maybe I needed more experience, maybe I needed to ply my trade at a lower level for a few more seasons. One letter changed all that.

In early April 2007, I received a letter from a Mr Alfred Majola. It went something like this:

“Dear Mr Rawson,

On behalf of the directors of BidVest Wits, we would like to offer you the position of manager of our football team.

While it may come as some surprise to you, we have been monitoring your progress for quite a few years. It came to our attention that you have dual Australian/South African citizenship and we have been looking for a bright, young manager to take our team to the pinnacle of South African football. Our sources say that you are that manager.

Please don’t hesitate to reply with any questions.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Alfred Majola

Chairman,

BidVest Witsâ€

And now here I am today.

I was picked up from the airport by Gordon (great name) Ewen (“Everyone calls me Ewen though†he told me), one of my Coaches… well I thought he was one of my Coaches but during the journey he revealed to me that he was my only Coach… and the small fact that there was no Assistant Manager and that the rest of the staff had followed my predecessor out the door, nothing major really. But hey, I didn’t really mind. It meant I could really put my own stamp on the team, not only players-wise but staff-wise as well. I really took to Gordon during the trip to BidVest Stadium in downtown Johannesburg, seemed like a really genuine bloke and a massive football nut. He told me that there was going to be a press conference at the stadium which brought me back to reality – this was South African Premier Soccer League football, the pointy end of football in this nation. Whilst the reality was daunting and kind of scary it also came with a great deal of excitement that I had the chance to be something in the managerial world above the lower echelons of club football.

When we reached the stadium and I was introduced to the media, I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. Whilst ridiculously nervous, I couldn’t believe how excited I was. Alfred was sitting next to me saying that I could take the team to new heights, and had the full support of the board… I have to admit I wasn’t taking most of it in, I was just in a world of my own in a smiling stupor brought upon by the flashing of cameras and just the sheer number of people in the room. Alfred nudged me.

“I’m sorry what was that?†I said realising I had just missed my first question from the floor.

“I said how does it feel to be in South Africa, Mr Rawson?†The reporter repeated the question.

“Oh it’s fantastic. I have been here a couple of times when I was younger but it feels fantastic to be back as and adult and to have been given the opportunity by Mr Majola to lead this football team.â€

“Do you feel the pressure coming to a club that has consistently been in the lower regions of the league and being responsible for whether the club stays up or goes down?†Another reporter shot at me.

“To be honest I think there is actually less pressure. I have been brought here to build this team up which is a lot easier to do when you’re at the bottom than when you are at the top. I think we have the basis of a really good team here and the sky is the limitâ€

“And how are you feeling about today’s game?†The same reporter asked.

“Yeah good one mate,†I laughed. “A game on my first day, I don’t think soâ€

An awkward smattering of laughter went across the room, then silence. It started to dawn on me. I looked across at Ewen in the corner who was nodding his head and furiously writing something on a piece of paper. “Trial, 8, Dangerous Darkies†I read as he held the scribbled piece of paper.

“Oh… of course, the game at 8… tonight… yes…†I stammered trying to recover. “Well… for that I would like to introduce the newest member of my staff, Assistant Manager Ewen… um I mean Gordon Ewen… come on up here Gordon,†I said trying to get the journo’s to go with me. They reluctantly started to clap. “I have decided that I’ll watch this one from the stands today and let Ewen… ugh sorry let Gordon run things on the pitch. I just want to have my feet firmly on the ground before I start looking into players and the like.â€

When the conference ended I whispered to Ewen, “I really do want you to be my Assistant Manager… but I’m sorry to have sprung it on you like that!!â€

“That’s fine mate,†he said laughing. “You should have seen the look on your face when you realised we have a game – priceless!!â€

“I can’t believe you didn’t tell me before†I said shaking my head but smiling. “Ah well, what a first day and it’s only 11am… what time did you say we’re playing?â€

“8pmâ€

Wednesday 19 July 2006 8:00PM

So here we go, my first game in charge, except not really because I let Ewen pick the team and run things. Full-time it was 4-0 to Wits over Dangerous Darkies, as semi-pro South African side. There were some really positive signs on the pitch. Standouts were probably the three goal scorers, left winger Rene Richards, central midfielder and captain on the day Teboho Mokoena and striker Makhosonke Bhengu. Richards gave their right back a torrid evening running past, through and all around him. He has a real turn of speed and left their defense mesmirised with some great moves. He really deserved his MOM award topping it off with a neat side foot into the net at the back post after 15 mins. Mokoena was as solid a midfielder as I had seen in a long time. Hardly put a foot wrong all game and directed things on the pitch brilliantly as captain and powered home a 24th minute header off a corner. Benghu isn’t the fastest guy for a striker but more than made up with that with the anticipation and off the ball work he put in. He richly deserved the 49th minute belter that he put in from the edge of the area.

Ewen introduced me to the lads and first meetings were positive. The guys were singing boisterously when I entered the dressing room, but not the usual team song I was used to back in Australia but a beautiful African melody.

Thursday 20 July 2006

No rest for the newly employed, I got straight to work on my staff. I rang the agents for English goalkeeping legend Ray Clemence and former German goalkeeper Andreas Kopke and tabled offers to them as Goalkeepers Coach. Not really with any prospect of landing either of them but just trying to get my name out there. I also brought in a few candidates for positions as Scouts. Really liked what I heard and their experience of Scouting in the African region so I offered all three of them contracts. I took the guys through training this afternoon, with Ewen in his first day as my newly appointed Assistant Manager. I really like the look of the squad I have, I just think it needs a bit more veteran presence.

Friday 21 July 2006

Continuing the work on my staff, interviewed a few people for the role of Physio. Really liked what I heard from a 28 year old South Africa called Gerald Gcaba, he had a great philosophy on fitness and injury prevention rather than purely recovery so I decided to offer him a contract for the one Physio position I was offering. I haven’t heard back from any of the previous staff candidate yet, but hopefully I’ll start getting responses soon.

Saturday 22 July 2006

It’s the weekend but no time to rest now, looking at rectifying the lack of veteran presence in my team I offered contracts to free agents; central defender Musa Otieno (a Kenyan international) and central defender/defensive midfielder Jean-Sebastien Bax (a Mauritian international) of Santos FC. Both are over 32 and have been around African football for over 10-15 years. It’s that kind of experience I’m looking to add. I also tabled an offer to 24 year old South African international striker Mabhuti Khanyeza, currently out of contract at Golden Arrows. Quick, strong and fast – what a combination.

Sunday 23 July 2006

I took a day off to go visit relatives in Johannesburg with the wife and kids after church in the morning. It was a great day and I came home to voice messages from Sibusiso Modisane and David Khumalo, two of the Scouts I had offered contracts to, and Gcaba, both saying that they have accepted my offers. On the downside, Kopke rejected my offer but I had expected nothing less.

Monday 24 July 2006

Back to the office (located inside the stadium happily enough!) to start another week. An email from Bheki Mngomeni (the third and final Scout candidate) confirmed that he too had accepted my offer so my Scouting department was complete. Clemence had also rejected my offer but again, I had expected nothing less even though I had pitched Johannesburg as a fantastic place to retire to!! I wanted to continue to work on putting my staff together with the Coaches today and I had some interviews lined up. I interviewed six candidates and ended up making three offers including one as a Youth Coach to former South African and Leeds defender Lucas Radebe. Put an advert out for a Goalkeepers Coach, really tough to find eligible candidates.

Tuesday 25 July 2006

Made the first signings of my tenure today with both Bax and Otieno agreeing to terms. Both seemed really enthusiastic to give their all for Wits at the press conference today and I couldn’t have been happier to have them on board. On the negative side, it looks like Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates have both offered contracts to Khanyeza. Tried to get a hold of him to explain how much he would mean to Wits and the program here but his agent said he is currently unavaiable to talk. I guess we’ll just wait and see. Radebe decided to go with an offer from Jomo Cosmos which was tough to take but softened by the news that the two other Coaching candidates agreed to terms with us; Bennet Masinga and Wellington Modisane.

Wednesday 26 July 2006

Quiet day today but learned that Ajax CT have also offered Khanyeza a contract.

Thursday 27 July 2006

Well, today is my first real game in charge and I feel like a school kid on his first day at school; extremely nervous and exceptionally excited at the same time. We travelled just down the road to play Sporting (RSA).

Team:

GK Moneeb Josephs (26, SA, 3 Caps)

DR Phillip Evans (26, SA, 10 Caps)

DL Ashley Makhanya (28, SA, 4 Caps)

DC Otieno (32, Kenyan, 24 Caps) ©

DC Bax (33, Mauritian, 28 Caps 2 Goals)

MR Lucas Sebona (30, SA)

ML Rene Richards (23, SA)

MC Kagiso Denge (24, SA)

MC Teboho Mokoena (32, SA, 28 Caps 5 Goals)

FC Abram Raselemane (28, SA, 8 Caps, 1 Goal)

FC Makhosonke Bhengu (22, SA, 8 U21 Caps, 1 U21 Goal)

Fairly stagnant first half. We controlled the majority of the pressure but had nothing to show for the first 30 minutes except that Bhengu was injured in a nasty challenge after 15mins (15 SUB: Pepe (ST, 23, Brazilian)). On the half hour mark however, Sebona made a run down the right touchline and after briefly flirting with the notion of a cross, pulled it back to the top corner of the box where Evans unleashed a rocket straight past the hapless keeper into the top left corner. 45 SUBS: Noah Chivuta (AMC, 22, Zambian), Kenwyn Manual (ST, 26, SA) and Danilio Julio (AMC, 20, Brazilian) for Denge, Mokoena and Raselemane. Three minutes into the second half we were caught napping as the scored on the counter attack; an unmarked header off a cross. After this we continued our dominance with several chances which were well saved. 65 SUBS: Wendall Robinson (GK, 33, SA, 2 Caps) and Russel Khuzwayo (AMRL, 24, SA) for Josephs and Sebona. On 91 mins, Pepe put another header over and that was our last chance.

We easily should have won this, but just couldn’t convert our possession into goals. Evans had a great game and both Bax and Otieno made great debuts, especially Otieno at captain.

Final Score: Sporting (RSA) 1 : 1 Wits

Most serious injury was Pepe out for 1-4 weeks with a knee sprain. Bhengu and Richards should be back within a couple of weeks.

Sunday 30 July 2006

After trying in vain to persuade Khanyeza to come to Wits, I opened the Sunday paper to news that he has signed for Mamelodi Sundowns. Not fantastic but am getting happier and happier every day with the stable of strikers I have currently.

Tuesday 3 August 2006

Another road game, this time in Pretoria against FC AK.

Team:

GK Josephs

DR Evans

DL Makhanya

DC Otieno ©

DC Bax

MR Sebona

ML Richard Ferreira (25, SA)

MC Denge

MC Mokoena

FC Raselemane

FC Manual

Fairly evenly matched first half which saw us make most of the running. After 26 mins, Denge launched a speculative effort from 30 yards out which found the back of the net. This was followed by FC AK pressure but after 36, Raselemane scrambled one home in the box. A failure to clear the ball by Evans however let them score. After 50, Evans made amends as he lofted in a beautiful cross which was duly nodded home by an unmarked Manuel. 50 SUBS: Anton Greyling (D/WBR, 28, SA, 10 U21 Caps), Ashraf Hendricks (DRLC, 22, SA, 10U21 Caps) and Julio for Evans, Bax and Denge. We lapsed again however giving away possession cheaply to fall victim to a 10 minute double salvo from FC AK. 72 SUB: Khuzwayo for Sebona. A rocket from FC AK’s Isaks, 30 yards out on the left touchline, put them in the lead after 77 mins and they never looked back.

Extremely poor effort. Too many basic errors and mental lapses and I let them know about it!!!

Final Score: FC AK 4 : 3 Wits

Sunday 6 August

Received a call this afternoon from Southampton. Wanted to know how much I wanted for Anton Greyling (D/WBR, 28, SA, 10 U21 Caps), told them around 300k SA Rand. He’s not really in my 1st team plans because of Evans and I could use the cash to increase the 1mill SA Rand bid that I made for Silver Stars Stanley Kgatla (AMC, 23, SA, 1 Cap)

Tuesday 8 August

I asked Ewen to take the friendly today against Rainbow Stars in Stellenbosch, Cape Town. I wanted to look over the training schedule and hadn’t the chance before today so decided not to make the trip down south.

Needn’t have worried as we came out 3-0 winners. Had a quick chat with Ewen as they were about to jump on a plane to come back up to Jo’burg.

“Good committed game by the lads,†he said. “Evans, Bax and Kenneth Motshumi (AMC, 28, SA) knocked in the goals, Evans was MOM. Catch you back home!!â€

Training schedule is looking good, a lot more position focused than my predecessor!

Wednesday 9 August 2006

Fantastic news, Silver Stars accepted my offer for Kgatla and Ewen and I were up late getting a contract sorted out for him. I’m really excited about getting Stanley in a Wits jersey ASAP. It would be a fantastic day to finish off our off-season and a great way to kick off the new season. Fingers crossed. Just as we were finishing up, got a call from Southampton saying they wouldn’t be following up on Greyling, which is a shame… it means if the transfer of Kgatla goes ahead, I’ve just spent my entire transfer budget!?!?

Thursday 10 August 2006

The season is getting closer, you can taste it in the air. The title odds were released this morning so I opened the local paper to see that we were listed at 2000-1!!! I couldn’t believe my eyes, 2000-1. Absolutely ridiculous, but it gave me an idea. On my way to the office this morning I went passed a graphics design shop and asked them to blow up the article and put it on a large sign. I have been looking for a motivational hook for the last few weeks, something to fire the guys up for those big matches. They boys came into the training facilities this afternoon and found the sign hung above the door.

2001-1

I got them to all come around together and look at the sign.

“You see that? That is how woeful your countrymen think you are!!! You are nothing more than relegation certainty to them. Are we?†I asked forcefully. I was greeted with a murmer of no’s.

“I said are we?†I yelled. “Are we gonna sit here and let people tell us we are that bad and do nothing about itâ€

“Hell no!!†Yelled Otieno, in that deep rumbling Kenyan voice of his.

“Everyone!!†I yelled even louder.

“Hell no!!!!!†The whole team yelled back in unison.

“We are going to prove everyone wrong this year. EVERYONE!!!!â€

Friday 11 August 2006

I can feel the momentum building as we were able to introduce Stanley Kgatla at a press conference today.

“Stanley has proved himself as one of the nations best players, and at an extremely early age. He’s only 23 and I know that I can’t wait to see him in action, and I’m sure our fans can’t wait either. He’s going to be a fantastic player for us for years to come,†I told the conference.

“I just want to thank Mr Rawson and the entire BidVest Wits organisation for giving me the opportunity to come here and show what I can do,†Stanley said. “You won’t be disappointedâ€

We presented him with the number 2 jersey as we posed for photos.

“Welcome aboard,†I said to him smiling.

Saturday 12 August 2006

I have sent the guys home for the week to give them some time to spend with their families before we start in-season training (starting from a week before the season). I want them fresh and happy for the season.

As far as I’m concerned the preseason went well. We won 2, drew 1 and lost 1. While I wasn’t at all happy with the way we lost that one game, I think it was a learning experience as much for me as it was for them. Being only 30, I think I still relate really well to the lads and I’m pretty happy with the way I’ve grown to know them… so many characters in the side and we’ll need them. It’s going to be a tough season but we’ll get through this, I’m sure of it. We have out big burly Kenyan leader in Otieno, the Brazilian flair and fun of Pepe and Julio and the quick sharp wit of our new signing Kgatla which has meant he’s settled in so easily.

Bring on the season!!

Saturday 26 August 2006

It’s season kick-off.

I look down at my watch, it’s about 2:30. The guys have already had their warm up out on the pitch and are now back in the dressing sheds. I can hear the singing and chanting from the Wits fans from down here, it’s going to be a capacity crowd today.

“Bring it in guys,†I say to them as I motion to huddle up. “OK, big home game first up, a very winnable one at that! Let’s show our fans what we can do today!! 2000-1? Not a bloddy chance!!â€

There were cheers of excitement as they all started moving around, shouting at each other words of encouragement, getting revved up for the game.

I walked down the tunnel with Ewen at my side.

“How do you reckon we will go today,†I asked him nervously.

“We’re going to make Black Leopards wish they had never come here!!â€

I laughed. “I thought you might say something like that.â€

I was met with eardrum shattering cheering as I walked out of the tunnel. BidVest Stadium only holds 8,000 but boy can they make a noise!! I looked around waving and applauding the crowd of white and blue. What a debut, I couldn’t wait, and I’m sure neither could the players.

Wits vs Black Leopards

3:00PM, Dry, 17 C

BidVest Stadium, Johannesburg

Attendance: 7,975

Referee: Rueben Dilikane

Team:

GK Josephs

DR Evans

DL Makhanya

DC Otieno ©

DC Bax

MR Khuzwayo

ML Richards

MC Kgatla

MC Mokoena

FC Manual

FC Raselemane

Subs: Bhengu, Julio, Denge, Ferreira, Nhlanhla Kubeka (DLC, 27, SA), Hendricks, Robinson

Sebona was ruled out with a cold before the game. Khuzwayo took his place.

1st Half

Fantastic start. After going close earlier on, Raselemane puts one away after just 12 minutes. Bax puts a long ball through which Raselemane heads it forward to Manuel who darts at the keeper before pulling it back to find an unmarked Raselemane for the simplest of tap ins. But it’s disallowed for offside. The crowd goes absolutely ballistic, but it did look like a fair call. The crowd only had to wait another 10 minute however as Raselemane fires in a Richards cross at the back post. The crowd again goes mental but this time in happiness. The boys rarely threatened for the rest of the half but then again neither did the Leopards.

“Great half guys, let’s keep the intensity up in the second†I encourage them. “We can extend this lead, now let’s go!!â€

2nd Half

A to-and-fro second half never really got anything exciting going. Both sides went close on several occasions but neither looked like dominating. Leopards had a man sent off in the 77th minute but we couldn’t do anything to capitalise.

Final Score: Wits 1 : 0 Black Leopards

The boys did their lap of honour around the ground to the adoring 7,975 fans. Great start to the season!

This is pretty good, but maybe hold back on the posting a little - it's a lot to read at one time and may put people off. There's nothing wrong with having "future" instalments saved on Word, or wherever, to post later. Keeps people coming back!!

icon_smile.gif

Monday 11 September 2006

It’s off down the road to the South African Football Association (SAFA) HQ for the SA League Cup draw. Ewen came along and it was great to meet some of the other coaches, even had a quick chat with former Bafana Bafana captain Neil Tovey who is now Manager at Mamelodi Sundowns. I remember watching him lift the African Nations cup back in 96. Still can’t believe I’m here!! Good draw and we’re down to play Silver Stars on 21 October, pitting Kgatla against his old team. They’re no pushovers but hopefully we can progress through, see what the team is really made of.

Wednesday 20 September 2006

It’s the second game of the season, away to the Kaizer Chiefs on the outskirts of Jo’burg. First real test for the lads.

Kaizer Chiefs vs Wits

8:00PM, Dry, 22 C

FNB Stadium, Johannesburg

Attendance: 41,785

Referee: Tshifiwa Dali

Team:

GK Josephs

DR Evans

DL Makhanya

DC Otieno ©

DC Bax

MR Sebona

ML Richards

MC Kgatla

MC Mokoena

FC Manual

FC Raselemane

Subs: Pepe, Bhengu, Chivuta, Khuzwayo, Kubeka, Hendricks, Robinson

Sebona returns and Pepe takes the place of the injured Denge on the bench.

1st Half

Raselemane goes close early on with his shot going just wide. After 40 mins, Sebona dispossess his man on the half way line. With some dazzling moves he weaves his way past four defenders and places a shot into the bottom right hand corner from just inside the box. Fantastic goal and the 1,000 or so fans that came along show their pleasure, much to the chagrin of the 40,000 strong legions of Chiefs supporters. Raselemane puts one over the bar to end the first half. Despite having the lion’s share of possession, Chiefs have rarely threatened.

“OK nice work but let’s not let this slip. Keep focused out there.â€

2nd Half

Despite a sluggish start, Raselemane is broght down on the top right corner of the box after 56 mins. Evans steps up and it’s a masterpiece. He curls a beauty over the wall and into the top right corner of the net, what a goal!! Raselemane and Manuel miss a couple of absolute sitters but we’re still in front and the home crowd is starting to get seriously worried. SUBS 76: Kubeka and Pepe for Bax and Manuel. That’s the way it stays, Chiefs never looked like threatening us.

Final Score: Kaizer Chiefs 0 : 2 Wits

“Fantastic guys, just absolutely fantastic. We’ve put ourselves on the map!!†I tell them, patting MOM Mokoena on the back.

Saturday 23 September 2006

Another tough match, this time at home to Sundowns.

Wits vs Mamelodi Sundowns

3:00PM, Dry, 22 C

Attendance: 7,113

Referee: Lawrence Monnathoko

Team:

GK Josephs

DR Evans

DL Makhanya

DC Otieno ©

DC Bax

MR Sebona

ML Richards

MC Kgatla

MC Mokoena

FC Manual

FC Raselemane

Subs: Pepe, Bhengu, Julio, Khuzwayo, Kubeka, Hendricks, Robinson

Julio is in for Chivuta on the bench.

1st Half

BidVest Stadium is rocking with over 7,000 vocal supporter as the game gets under way. They’re all over us after 25 mins with Khanyeza (remember him?) running rings around our defence. Against the flow however, a spilt ball from their keeper after a Sebona free kick is pounced on by Raselemane (28) who neatly tucks it away. GOAL!!

“Keep it up guys, they’re losing hope… let’s capitalise!!â€

2nd Half

Kgatla takes a nasty knock after 49 and has to come off. SUB 49: Kgatla for Julio. Sundowns go close a few times put nothing too serious. SUBS: Sebona and Manuel for Khuzway and Pepe. We’re caught napping after 76 mins as we’re hit on the counter attack and only a brilliant fingertip save from Josephs keeps us ahead. Pepe hits the bar after 80 and that’s it for the game.

Final Score: Wits 1 : 0 Mamelodi Sundowns

MOM: Bax, a well deserved accolade after a rock like performance at the back.

Wednesday 27 September 2006

I’m sitting in my office, watching some film of our upcoming opponents, Jomo Cosmos, when there is a knock at my door.

“Come in.†I say as the door opens and my physio Gcaba comes in. “What’s up Gerald?â€

“Um, look I thought I should come to you about this directly. Raselemane has sprained his wrist… somehow… looks like he’ll be out for a good week or two†Gcaba tells as grimly as he can while trying to hide his grin.

“Strained wrist hey??†I say grinning back at him. “Not fantastic but I’ll give him a pass this time, I reckon Pepe can step in ok.â€

Saturday 30 September 2006

Minus Raselemane, we travel for another tough test at fellow Jo’burg side Jomo Cosmos.

Jomo Cosmos vs Wits

12:00PM, Dry, 28 C

Rand Stadium, Johannesburg

Attendance:

Referee: Isaac Abrahamse

Team:

GK Josephs

DR Evans

DL Makhanya

DC Otieno ©

DC Bax

MR Sebona

ML Richards

MC Kgatla

MC Mokoena

FC Manual

FC Pepe

Subs: Boitumelo Maleyane (ST, 27, SA), Bhengu, Julio, Khuzwayo, Kubeka, Hendricks, Robinson

Pepe is in for Raselemane and Maleyane takes his spot on the bench.

1st Half

Fairly evenly matched half was only punctuated by the 26th minute injury of Kgatla after a strong challenge. SUB 26: Kgatla for Julio.

“One goal can win this, let’s get the job done!!â€

2nd Half

An uneventful half came to life after 76 mins as Pepe was given his marching orders for punching Renewile Letsholonyane. He got a good solid evil eye on the way off the pitch… muppet. SUBS 76: Richards and Mokoena for Khuzwayo and Bhengu. Neither side looks like seriously scoring after that.

Final Score: Jomo Cosmos 0 : 0 Wits

MOM: Josephs. In a fairly dull match, Josephs was solid when called upon.

On the same day, Kaizer Chiefs won the Super Eight Cup (played between the top 8 teams every year in late August-early January) with a 2-1 extra time win over Sundowns.

Sunday 1 October 2006

Email from the league office indicates Pepe is banned for three matches, so I’ve written up an official warning for violent conduct. Maybe he’ll think twice before punching a bloke or next time it’s a fine. Gcaba indicate Kgatla’s injury isn’t too bad but he’ll be out for 1-3 weeks.

I'll echo the same sentiments as already stated, good start, and keeping some in reserve and not posting all at once can be handy when you just dont feel writing or playing the game for patches.

When you want to post things like tables where you want to keep the spacing as you have it use CODE TAGS its the same as BOLD or INDEX tags as in its uses [] but instead of having the B or I inside the brackets you have CODE at the start inside the brakets and at the end you have /CODE

Hope that helps

Monday 2 October 2006

Well there is an 18 day break until the next match (not sure what up with these massive gaps, there doesn’t appear to be anything on. There was about 20 days gap between my 1st and 2nd games with the club for the Super 8 Cup but this is just random!!) so I thought I would take the opportunity to find out a bit more about the club. It seems like everything has been in fast forward since I got here that I don’t think I have grasped the full picture of the club.

Wits was founded in 1921 by the SRC at the University of the Witswatersrand. They quickly established themselves as the leading university football team in the country before winning promotion to the National Football League (Later to become the South African Premier Soccer League) in 1975. Since then, the club has only won minor silverware but has still been an everpresent face in South African football.

It came to my complete surprise that the team is responsible for the early football development of former Man U and England goalkeeper Gary Bailey as well as Richard Gough, the former Scotland, Rangers and Everton defender. Ewen has also told me about another club legend, defender Peter Gordon (SA, 2 Caps) who holds the Wits appearance and goals record at 415 and 55 respectively. Apparently he still lives in the area so I think maybe I’ll try get in touch with him sometime.

Tuesday 10 October 2006

The phone rings in my office. It’s Gcaba… it’s never good news when he calls.

“Gordon, Moneeb (Josephs) just fell pretty badly on his ankleâ€

See?

“It looks pretty bad, at first looks he might be out for 2 month, maybe more. I’ll see what I can do, probably gonna be best to send him to a specialistâ€

I sigh and agree that is the probably the best course of action. I guess I better go speak to Wayne (Robinson), let him know he’ll be starting next Wednesday. Guess it’s not that bad, I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far from Robinson but Josephs has just been outstanding but hey, that’s life!!

Wednesday 11 October 2006

Given the guys the day off today and I’m planning on heading to the Wits campus to watch the U19’s play. I’ve so far left them under Ewen’s control but he can’t shut up about these kids so I guess I should go see what all the fuss is about.

After watching them in training and a 4-2 U19 Cup match win over Black Leopards I came away with the following impressions:

U19 Squad

Goalkeepers

Junior Sokhela – 16 – An aggressive keeper with absolute glue for hands.

Karobo Marumo – 16 – Another aggressive and brave keeper, yet sometimes up to the point of stupidity.

Defenders

Mondli Mathela – DL – 16 – Solid defender but nothing special.

Thabo Moloi – DR – 16 – Quick and aggressive full back; just the model of defender I look for.

Bradley Khomane – DC – 16 – Fantastci centre back for his age, he’s strong in the air and has a tremendous workrate.

Ronald Nkosi – DC – 16 – Solid centre back, good in the air.

Xolani Khumalo – DC – 16 - Heart of this U19 team and is justly the captain. Mature beyond his years with great anticipation and a tackling machine.

Midfielders

Walter Maskia – AMLC – 19 – One of the more experienced campaigners but not showing it. Will probably be shown the door this Winter.

Rodney Mashaba – AMR – 16 – Not a traditional speedy winder but he’s a mazy and creative dribbler.

Mandla Brown – MC – 16 – Classic ball distributing centre mid in the Patrick Viera mould.

Innocent Evans – MC – 16 – Technically sounds and a fantastic “team first†guy.

Strikers

Lucky Mabena – 18 – Another vet who has a great 1st touch and is tough and strong in the air.

Tshepiso Mahloana – 19 – Probably the most experience player in the side, has a great 1st touch and a tremendous off the ball work rate.

Peter Rose – 16 – The brightest prospect of the team, very comfortable with the ball at his feet, cool, calm and composed under pressure and strong in the air.

Friday 13 October 2006

Taking the guys through training for the day when Bhengu goes down. It’s a knee sprain and Gcaba reckons it will be at least 1-2 months before he’s back. My already thin forward line is getting thinner by the second.

Monday 16 October 2006

No travelling this time but the draw for the League Cup Quarter Finals comes through via email. If we can knock off the Stars we’ll be up against the winner of Jomo Cosmos and Black Leopards. We need to win first though!!

Wednesday 18 October 2006

It’s 10am on game day. That 18 day break seemed like eternity and it’s been increasingly hard to keep the guys focused at training so it will be good to get out there against Maritzburg Utd.

Wits vs Maritzburg Utd

8:00PM, Dry, 22 C

Attendance: 6,657

Referee: Andile Ace Ngcobo

Team:

GK Richards

DR Evans

DL Makhanya

DC Otieno ©

DC Bax

MR Sebona

ML Richards

MC Julio

MC Mokoena

FC Manual

FC Raselemane

Subs: Moleyane, Motshumi, Chivuta, Khuzwayo, Kubeka, Hendricks, Robobertson

Richards makes his first start of the season in place of the injured Josephs. Kgatla returned from injury but failed a late fitness test so was omitted from the squad.

1st Half

Suprisingly, Maritburg take control of the 1st half and we never really looked like challenging the. The Maritzburg strikers came close on a few occasions but nothing came of their chances. The crowd was getting restless towards half time when on the stroke of 45 mins, a speculative ball from halfway by Evans is missed by everyone. It falls to Richards at the far post who almost screws it up in surprise but he manages to neatly tuck it away at the back post. GOAL!!! Against the run of the play but the crowd doesn’t care.

“What’s going on out there guys? We’re bloody lucky to be in front, I want a lot more in the 2nd half.â€

2nd Half

Half time talk seems to have worked as Raselemane and Juilo go close early on but we can’t convert pressure into goals. SUB 70: Juilo for Chivuta. 80 mins gone and Raselemane beats his man and he’s through. He takes it into the box, draws the keeper then pulls it back to Manuel for the simplest of tap ins. GOAL!!!

Final Score: Wits 2 : 0 Maritzburg Utd

“Much better guys. Nice win after a long break!!â€

MOM: Otieno who was infallible at the back. Starting to expect nothing less from the skipper.

Thursday 19 October 2006

I lean back in my chair and smile contently. The season couldn’t have got off to a better start; unbeaten so far and challenging for the title. It’s early days but I can’t help but being optimistic. My happy thoughts are interrupted by the buzzing of my mobile phone.

“Gordon Rawson†I say as I answer my phone.

“Mr Rawson it’s Thabo Mngomeni here from The Star, how are you?â€

“The Star?? How did you get this number?â€

“Now Mr Rawson, that’s not a very nice way to address your adoring media now is it?†he says, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“I guess not… but seriously how did you get this number.â€

“I have my sources,†he says slyly.

He has a point, I need to get the media on my side seeing as I’m a new manager in an unfamiliar place, so I try and hide the annoyance on my voice and continue.

“OK no problemo, what can I do you for Mr Mngomeni?â€

“Please, it’s Thabo, or my friends call me Tab… we are friends aren’t we Mr Rawson??â€

“Yeah… sure… Tab!?†This is one of the more bizarre conversations I’ve had with the media.

“OK cool man. Just wanted to have a chat to you about how the season is going, the ‘Clever Boys’ haven’t looked this good in years.â€

“’Clever Boys’??? Look mate is this a gee-up, because it’s not funny. ‘Tab’, ‘Clever Boys’ what are you on about mate,†my until there hidden frustration boiling over.

This is met by a high pitched squeal of mirth from the other end of the line.

“Oh Mr Rawson you are too much!!†Still laughing. “You should really have done a bit more homework, ‘Clever Boys’ are you’re team… it’s the local nickname for Wits, you know with the uni and all… you’ve really never heard it?â€

“Oh…yes…of course, the ‘Clever Boys’, just forgot for a moment there,†I stumble trying in vain to sound like I actually know my own club.

“Whatever you say my friend!!†Laughter subsiding.

“Yes…well… the season yes I couldn’t be happier,†I say trying to change the subject a little. “The squad I’ve inherited along with my few additions are really ace mate. I was just thinking about how well the team is performing, not too many people would have expected us to be where we are now hey?â€

“Yeah sure but its early days yet, no? I mean the wins against Chiefs and Sundowns were certainly impressive but couldn’t this be just a flash in the pan.

This guy is too much but I can see he’s just trying to needle me into another stupid response.

“I don’t think so,†I say calmly. “The strength and team cohesion we’ve shown through the first few games really convinces me we’re for real. Besides, myself and the team know we’re for real.â€

“Haha, you’re certainly and strong courageous man Mr Rawson, but I can’t argue with the results. We’ll talk soonâ€

And with that he hung up and I’m left a little bewildered with the long dull drone of the phone still against my ear. I think I got my point across ok but the guy seems like a bit of a live wire so I’m hoping whatever he writes doesn’t look too bad in the papers.

Wednesday 21 October 2006

The nerves are cranking into gear again as it is cup day and it’s time to see if the lads have the mettle to go on.

Wits vs Maritzburg Utd

3:00PM, Dry, 25 C

Attendance: 7,717

Referee: Gabriel Sokopo

Team:

GK Richards

DR Evans

DL Makhanya

DC Otieno ©

DC Bax

MR Sebona

ML Richards

MC Kgatla

MC Mokoena

FC Manual

FC Raselemane

Subs: Moleyane, Julio, Chivuta, Khuzwayo, Kubeka, Hendricks, Robobertson

Kgatla returns to the starting lineup for the clash with his old club.

1st Half

We started pretty nervously and watched Silver Stars take the ascendancy. Ex-SA international Simba Marumo of Stars had the best chance of the 1st half as his shot from the edge of the area hit the bar and went over.

2nd Half

Half time talk seems to have worked and after 63 mins, Raselemane broke away from the last line of defence and coolly slotted the ball past the keeper. GOAL!!! However with 73 mins gone, miscommunication between Bax and Otieno at the back meant a corner bounced between them and Marumo pounced. With time running down I could just feel it was going to go to extra time and as I turned to Ewen to ask who we should maybe bring on to start the extra period, the crowd went nuts and Sebona heads home from a Richards cross. GOAL!!!

Final Score: Wits 2 : 1 Maritzburg Utd

MOM: Raselemane who lifted the side when it was needed.

Two points coming out of the victory is that Raselemane has picked up a knock and by the looks of things will be out for a couple of weeks. The second is that as Jomo Cosmos beat Black Leopards 3-1 is an intercity grudge match upcoming in the QF’s on the 18th of November.

Archived