Defensive problems?

Hi.

Wonder if any of you guys can help?

My defenders, especially central, seem unable to tackle or close down or even block in their own box.

They're set to close down in own area or sometimes in own half and sometimes set to tight marking, with tackling on normal.

My DMs have the same if not similar settings and their always sliding in!

Is it because their frightened of giving away a penalty or should I set their tackling to hard?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

how high is your d-line set? do your central pair have different mentalety (this is often a good thing)? how big is the gap betwin midfield and defence? what kind of formation do you use? what players do you use in mid/def/gk? what kind of team instruction on closing down are you using? do you play fluid or very fluid?

we need much more info in here to be of any help

def line default, sometimes deep,

both DC mentality is Defence (should I use one as cover?),

gap between mid & def is normal, sometimes have a DM in front,

gk= green, DC= upson + tomkins/gabbidon, MC= parker + diarra,

team closing down is default,

fluidity is default

sounds like west ham...so you would have Behrami on the right and Ilunga on the left I presume?, hence a pretty solid d-line on the paper, you should surly put one of them dc's on cover, maybe the other on stopper (this is optional tho since it may leave to much space betwin them...on my limited testing with 4-4-2 a cover/defend combo worked best for me), you should also look to play a relativly high d-line since the 4-4-2 leaves lot of space betwin the lines (this space is metioned as one of the main reasons to the formations downfall at the highest level)

do you play both MC's in holding roles? do you play "standard" as starting aproch?

Both mc are on ball winning, 1 def 1 support, they tackle fine.

Team tactics start off standard then change accordingly.

I'll switch upson to cover and push them higher up. Should I switch them to hard tackling?

Archived