FM08 - Conference and Below (players named inside)

Sonic2006

Have spent a long time building up a decent team with free players on FM08 with Exeter.

Just thought, for anybody who is struggling finding decent players this low down I might give a few tips.

1) There is a decent database of good, free players. Use this, if you have money in a transfer budget, well you are lucky. I do think this would be better transferred over into your wage budget though.

2) Spend a good hour, if you can sifting through the players who don't have clubs. There are some gems who will really improve your team. I will list my star players at the end of this thread.

3) Take a chance and offer clubs £0k for their transferred players, a lot of the time you might be able to pick up a player from a higher league, for nothing because the team wants to get rid. Worth trying - but remember, some players want a decent wage.

4) Keep a very close eye on the budget when going for players, its essential you keep money spare incase a decent player does come up - and this can happen.

5) Use the loan system to pick up some players as well, there are a lot of decent players who are on the Transfer or loan list.

Finally, to the point of this post, for those who want to find some decent players for a Conference / Lower League team.

My Gems are;

Carl Asaba; Has all round decent stats for the league. Will score goals and is also a decent leader. Has scored 9 in 12 for me so far and can be picked up for free. (expired)

Nathan Jarman; A striker with a decent amount of pace. A little in-consistant but if you can get him scoring goals he goes like a mad-man, another free transfer. Has scored 8 in 14 for me.

Joe Tillen, (AML) this one is my STAR man, even though the above two have scored nearly 20 goals between them. Joe has so far played around 7 games, scored 4 and set up 2. He is the man I can trust to take the ball down the flanks and get it forward. Again this is another free from an expired contract.

Hope this helps a little.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice players, imagine my anger at my scout / filter / ass man

when i found all 3 were willing to discuss contracts ......

YET were not interested in joining me " ALEGEDLY "

* restarts game and trusts in his insticts *

Guess this is why i play the demo first... i can mess it up time and again in preperation for the real thing next week icon_smile.gif

I had trouble signing Tillen for some reason but I am glad I made the effort and got him in the end. I sold a lot of my better players (the ones my Assman percieved as my better players) and then in turn invested that in wages.

But yeah, have to say its weird you had them show up but not keen on discussing. I am sure they will be very decent players for you.

Greg Palmer Free

Great Target man and still young, only 20. Played half the season and he already scored 20 goals.

Amjad Iqbal Free

Good midfielder and does score the odd goal

Scott Lycett Free

Good DC does its job and also young.

Mark crossley Free

Good young goalkeeper, well so far, havent seen him develope yet. Only 19/20

Palmer is playing really well for me

Crossley is over rated

Man Utd

Sean Evans

& another DR/AMR from scotland

Just offer sir Alex £0

Bolton have got a kick ass Polish keeper up for grabs wont even try to write his name

again offer £0

I managed to get the Man Utd players with Salisbury btw, so im sure almost anyone in the conf prem can get them !

So i've come to the end of the demo with Eastbourne Borough. Think thats who i'll be when the final version comes out. Made several new signings and there was no room for any of the original players. Can't wait to give the game a go with a large database because the choice of signings on the demo is fairly limited. I'm £1300 under my wage budget so there is plenty of room for improvement.

I either played 442 or 4411 depending on the game.

GK: Mark Crossley/Marek Stech(west ham loan)

RB: Greg Oates

LB: Matthew Hislop

CB: Simon Weaver/Michael Laws

CB: Scott Lycett

CM: Junior Lewis (defensive instructions)

CM: Philip Green (attacking instructions

RM: Scott Donelly

LM: Kyel Reid(west ham loan)

FW: Nathan Jarman

FW: Hogan Ephraim(west ham loan)

If i played 4411 which was quite often i'd drop Jarman or Ephraim and stick donelly in an advanced AM rule. Instead i'd play Ben Walshe on the right wing, he was pretty amazing there despite him being a left winger.

I scored an impressive 50 goals in the league but have conceded a not so impressive 26.

Scott Donnelly was by far the best player with 12 goals in 17 starts and a 7.23 rating.

Philip green has 23 starts with 5 goals and a 7.20 rating

Jarman bagged 10 goals as well.

So anyway the attacking players were fantastic but on the final version i'll be on a desperate search for some centre backs.

Asaba had 7 in 3 for me including a debut Hat Trick icon14.gif

My fans went nuts at the signing of Tillen and Sean Evans from Man Utd.

Asked Evans if he could recomend someone from his own team, he suggest GK Tom Heaten.

I sign him, great GK.. Evans now has fav personnel as me and Heaten and made a press release about his happyness.

Also asked Tillen to recomend a player and he said his brother, in his fav personnel ! lol

Just had a little test at the start to filter out decent stats and to see what players would be interested in Eastbourne.

My advice now is to not click on 'ask assistant to filter' because there will be some players that say they are not interested but with a bit of persistance you can sign them.

Managed this with the likes of Matthew Wicks, Joe Tillen, greg Brown Joey Hutchinson and the very impressive looking Gary Stopforth.

Nathan Jarman; A striker with a decent amount of pace. A little in-consistant but if you can get him scoring goals he goes like a mad-man, another free transfer. Has scored 8 in 14 for me.

Great buy ^^ quite hard to get but worth it in the end!

Boniek Fordes

Good pacey striker, works well with Palmer

Lawrence Constanti

Young midfielder. Gots the stats and plays well.

Stuart Hole

Brilliant young defender!

And also even though he will cost alot of money:

Ben Bowdwitch CAM CITY

What a player! gets better everyyear! was a dangerous playmaker in my cam city team last year!

cookie16..

what game you playing ??

or what leagues you loading

Only player that comes up for me is Bowditch.

Oh yeh, anyone else notice Joe Tillen has been removed from the full game ><

Try scouring the Prem league reserves

here is a list of quality who will all sign to the conferance :

Jacques Maghoma ( tottenham)

Sean Evans

David Grey

Tom Heaten ( man Utd all 3 )

Jordy Brouwer ( liverpool )

Originally posted by The Art of Drowning:

and Joe Tillen is on the full game, think it's spelt differently or something, type Joe T and you'll find him.

Im playing large data base and all English leagues.

No Joe Tillen.

I tried the Joe T search method and got a load of Joel's.

Also Sam Tillen, Joes brother, is in the game.. hes at Brentford. In the demo his favoured staff / player = Joe Tillen. In the full version he doesnt have any favoured personel.

And ive reset the data base 3 times.. also seem to have lost Greg Palmer somewhere.

Obviously had to wait for the full game to carry on! Found myself struggling in Jan thanks to a few injuries, had a bid for Evans (Manure youngster I got on a free) for 110k so accepted it and invested in three players;

Vincent Van Den Berg - SHOCKED he came.

James Chester (defender) and Michael Lea (Another defender)

Now sitting near the top of the league, can't stop Den Berg from scoring and the other two have strengthened my defence a lot.

All were bought for £10-20k and 25% future fee!

Bargains.

Originally posted by Lower League Only:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Art of Drowning:

and Joe Tillen is on the full game, think it's spelt differently or something, type Joe T and you'll find him.

Im playing large data base and all English leagues.

No Joe Tillen.

I tried the Joe T search method and got a load of Joel's.

Also Sam Tillen, Joes brother, is in the game.. hes at Brentford. In the demo his favoured staff / player = Joe Tillen. In the full version he doesnt have any favoured personel.

And ive reset the data base 3 times.. also seem to have lost Greg Palmer somewhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you must have to load all players from England as well then. I couldnt get him to join me at Eastbourne, he chose Shelbourne instead.

Nevermind it's his loss as we are 16 points clear at the top after 31 games.

Donnely, Stopforth, Jarman, Oates, Curtis Jackson all brilliant.

and players that habent been mentioned like Leke Odunsi and Davy Williamson have been handy.

Originally posted by Lower League Only:

cookie16..

what game you playing ??

or what leagues you loading

Only player that comes up for me is Bowditch.

Oh yeh, anyone else notice Joe Tillen has been removed from the full game ><

Try scouring the Prem league reserves

here is a list of quality who will all sign to the conferance :

Jacques Maghoma ( tottenham)

Sean Evans

David Grey

Tom Heaten ( man Utd all 3 )

Jordy Brouwer ( liverpool )

For some reason the players which are in the demo arent in the real game which is upsetting!

Heres a few new ones:

Hogan Ephraim FC

Sticker which west sham forced me to have! Not complaining as he has score 22 goals in first half of the season

Marek Stech GK

U21 Czech kepper only 17 but wow! on loan again

Gibrilla Kargbo MC

Signed from Walton & Hersham, and a shakey start turns into a brilliant player! Out atm with a hip injury

Hardy Pinto-Moreira Fc

At dorcester but they seem to let him go! bad move!

Originally posted by The Art of Drowning:

well I thought I did really well in winning the league and then surviving comfortably in the Conference.

The board didn't offer me a new contract though, they wanted someone else to take the club forward.

Moved on to Barrow in the Conf North but I think I'll start a new game.

So retire and add yourself as manager again icon_smile.gif

Got Forest Green up to league 2 via the playoffs in my first season.

largely due to a French youngster I got on a free named.

Boubacar Baldé 20years old plays for Concameau. You can get him on a free.

First season in the conference 37games 15goals 6 assists 5mom av r 7.03. He's already scored 2 goals in 3 games in my first season in league 2.

AM/FC. I play him as a striker. His one weakness is his stamina, he gets tired very very quickly. But in a season he's gone up to 7 from 5 for me and he's lasting longer.

Guest Matt-the(pregnantFish)

Have to say, I totally agree with Nathan Jarman. The guy can score from anywhere.

I've found that getting a Championship Parent Club helps too. As Redditch, I have West Brom, and I took Adrian Manchester. Lee Baker and Ibrahim Sissoko on loan. They're all worth a look.

Lastly, Dean Sturridge might be worth a look.

7 goals in 12 games for me, until a 2 month injury.

ok, in my first season at Vauxhalls i finished mid table. didnt sign anyone worth mentioning here.

anyway in the second season im struggleing, its almost xmas and im in the dreaded drop zone. i have no money and im losing money week in week out. im well bellow my wage budget and the board love me for this but they hate the fact were losing money hand over fist. i feel this is gonna cost me my job.

Anyway, ive signed a guy on a free called andy ducros, hes an AMC and he scores for fun from free kicks and open play. he is keeping my hopes of survival alive.

any tips on my money problem? ive already ditched a load of players on mutual termination with no fees. dont see what else i can do as my players are not worth enough to make up the 100k im in debt.

also any tips on free players in the full version not the demo version would be great

Playing in the scottish third division, thought I would lend you my opinion on a few players!

Goalkeepers:

Scott Murray from Queen's Park (great keeper)

James Evans from Arthurlie, cost 1k.

Third choice is Sandy Wood from Forfar, got him from Forfar

Defenders:

Scott Paterson at 35 he isn't getting any younger, but is doing really well for me.

Stephen Swift from Ayr cost 3k, but very good, right defender, wing back and midfielder.

Paul Lunan from Forfar, awesome playing, for 1k, even Northampton were after him.

Midfielders:

Marc Laird from Man City, about to go out of contract, sign him up. He is class.

Also grab Nicky Smith from Arbroath, another great gem.

I can echo the sentiments of Philip Green, Joe Tillen and Robbie Foy. All top class.

As for strikers:

Bryan Scott from Arbroath (1k), it might take some wooing, but with 18 finishing and 18 pace, has alot of promise in him.

Ian Armstrong, good all around centre forward. Scores goals, averaging 7.0 for me.

I strongly recomend loading all English players as much to my anoyance ( and semi happyness ) upon doing this I saw that Messers, Jarman, Tillen and Palmer had returned... snapped them up to Blyth Spartans.

Actually... I reserved the entire team and sold them all off and replaced them with a team 100 % from the free trasnfer list !

So will let people know how that goes !

Also when seeking a perant club I had offers from Newcastle and Middlesborough..

I decided to accept boro for 2 reasons.

1) Blyth alegedly have a rivalry with Newcastle

2) Boro had a lot more players on offer than Newcastle

Anyways, just one my first game of the season 2-0 away.

+ anyone else having closing down issues, the tight marking as explained in tactics really seems to do the trick icon14.gif

Ive heard rumors of a long shot bug, granted both of my goals in this game were from 25 yards.

The first blasted 30 yards by my wing back ( Long Shots 1 LMAO )

How did you find Lauri Dalla Valle ?

For a 15 year old he is amasing, naturally just tried to sign him to Blyth, if he will go to Worcester then im sure i can get him

Some of my players of note.....

Russel Payne (GK) you may have to load USA players, he plays for Irish team Crumlin Utd.

Mario Longo (MC) another American from Crumlin signed at Paynes suggestion.

Tom Neil

Mark Kilty

Dave McEwen

All the above are Free

Archived