Call me Crazy but Ronaldinho in his Prime was better than Messi

Uquillas

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Messi isn't in his prime yet though...

^ This. When Messi gets to his prime, he will much better than Ronaldinho when he was in his prime. He isnt far off now, and he has years of improvement ahead of him.

And Ronaldinho was good-ish in 2002, but awful in 2006 and missed 2010, so hardly that much better than Messi in WCs.

And at club level Messi was at the very least just as good as him.

Well, I think it´s fair to compare them. Ronaldinho is not one of the top 5 or pehaps 10 best football players of all-time in my opinion.

But I can´t agree more that Messi still has to reach his prime, and from what he done so far, he looks to be in the way to be one of the best ever.

Maradona was 21 or 22 in Spain 82. Four years later...

Cheers,

Tele

don't worry Uquilas, I think many of us thought you were crazy well before this thread. Only reinforces that idea.

I love Ronaldinho and he'll always be one of my favourite players, but to my generation Messi will be regarded as the best ever once he hangs up his boots.

Too much emphasis/importance placed on a tournament that lasts 1 month every 4 years when trying to say how good a player is. What happened to the other 40 months?

wrong thread I think.

don't worry Uquilas, I think many of us thought you were crazy well before this thread. Only reinforces that idea.

I love Ronaldinho and he'll always be one of my favourite players, but to my generation Messi will be regarded as the best ever once he hangs up his boots.

I dunno, Zidane runs all over the top of Messi for me, and im not convinced he'll be as good as him when he hits his prime,but i still love the little flea to death:D

Zidane never played at the level Messi has shown. Zidane has his World Cup record in his favor, everything else goes to Messi. And that is just at the age of 23, which is an even bigger credit to Messi. What had Zidane done at that age? At bordeaux and not a single trophy in his cabinet.

Zidane never played at the level Messi has shown. Zidane has his World Cup record in his favor, everything else goes to Messi. And that is just at the age of 23, which is an even bigger credit to Messi.

This, and his time will come at a WC at some point, if not, he will be like Johan Cruijff, great player, but not won a WC.

Zidane never played at the level Messi has shown. Zidane has his World Cup record in his favor, everything else goes to Messi. And that is just at the age of 23, which is an even bigger credit to Messi. What had Zidane done at that age? At bordeaux and not a single trophy in his cabinet.

The Italian League in the 90's was also ALOT more competitive than the Spanish league is.

La Liga basically comes down to Barca or Real each season and the 3rd team down is ways away.

then why don't more players score 34 goals in the Spanish league? then why is Messi the first to do it since Ronaldo in 96?

lets see, since Messi plays in Spain, only Barcelona and Real Madrid Have been Champions.

While Zidane was in Italy there were 4 different champions.

then why don't more players score 34 goals in the Spanish league? then why is Messi the first to do it since Ronaldo in 96?
my question still stands

we are talking about the 90's Italy vs the Current La Liga, if anything, the 34 goals by messi prove that La Liga is no longer very competitive in general.

You can't judge Messi in a team being managed by a clown like Maradona. The entire way the Argentina team was set up meant that Messi was the only real creative player in the team, so opposing teams could just focus on nullifying him. He's a brilliant player, but no one can cope with being marked constantly by 2 or 3 players.

Uquilas, you still haven't answered the question. If it's that easy, then why hasn't anyone else scored 34 goals in Spain between Ronaldo in 96 and Messi in 2010?

no one is saying its easy.

It's less competitive than Serie A in the 90's.

so that's your argument that Zidane was better than Messi? could add everyone else playing in the Serie A during that time as well then.

Oh and don't forget Zidane played at Real Madrid in the prime of his career, yet never did anything close to Messi in the Spanish league.

so that's your argument that Zidane was better than Messi? could add everyone else playing in the Serie A during that time as well then.

Oh and don't forget Zidane played at Real Madrid in the prime of his career, yet never did anything close to Messi in the Spanish league.

You are saying Messi is better because he had won more things by 23.

My reply is, its easier to win more things when the league you play in is dominated only by 2 teams.

Zidane had alot more competition in Italy than Messi has now in Spain.

a bit of a tangent here, but why do most of the big name Brazilians peak early and burn out before they even reach 30?

Probably because they start playing senior football earlier too, like with 18 or 19 years old (and some like Neymar or Ronaldo started with 17).

But I think this is also a general tendency, not only Brazilian one, I expect Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi too to decline a bit within the next years, although staying world class.

And as for this discussion about Messi's goals, we rarely see players scoring 30+ goals in any league, regardless of how good or competitive or whatever they are. Injuries, suspensions and the fact football is a team sport mean it's not easy for a player to score so many.

messi is better. and younger

I can see Messi progressing to a Riquelme/Veron type of player in the final years of his career, only better.

that is not impossible. he has it going for him technically and brain-wise to do that more than a certain cristiano ronaldo

When did Ronaldinho ever get close to 40 goals a season? Don't get me wrong brilliant player but Messi is definently better, i don't agree about judging a player based on what they do at world cups for their country because its only a small part of their career. Besides lets face some very ordinary players have won world cups.

Just as a curiosity...Baltazar, a Brazilian reasonable forward (nothing more than that, imo) scored 35 goals in 36 matches in 1988/1989 playing for Atletico Madrid, which was 4th in the ladder. The very next year, Hugo Sanchez scored 37 goals.

I don´t think Messi is over Ronaldinho yet, but I believe he will be. And I can see him getting closer and closer to Maradona as well. I think he needs time, but, no pun intended, time will tell.

Cheers,

Tele

Archived