So You Think You Can Manage? (Gretna FC)

davidmcain

A week is a long time in football, and for Gretna fans, the last week of June 2007 was longer, and more bizarre than anything they had previously encountered. Millionaire owner and renowned philanthripist Brooks Mileson, the man who had single-handedly bankrolled the club to the highest realm of Scottish Football had controversially sacked manager Davie Irons and was holding open auditions at Raydale Park for anyone interested in taking the post of Manager at the club.

One of the men who showed up on that bizarre June day was New Zealander David Cain. He had no prior experience managing a football team, in the real world anyway, and his greatest footballing achievement was scoring the goals to propel the Dux de Lux pub team to the Christchurch Fourth Division Sunday League title a few years back. Nonetheless, he had always been intrigued by football management and decided to show up to see what the fuss was about.

Mr Mileson handed out a fooball trivia test to all those interested in the Managerial post, and to cut a long tale short, the previously unknown New Zealander had been given a shot in the big time. Locals were outraged that the position could be handed to one so utterly inexperienced, and even Cain himself found the position he found himself in a little strange.

However this sort of opportunity comes along once in a lifetime, and Cain was determined to make the most of it. Mileson most generously agreed to pay me a cool 1200 pound a week for the next two years with the proviso that Cain must ensure the club remained in the top flight for the foreseeable future. Couldnt be too hard thought Cain, until he was presented with his squad...

A week is a long time in football, and for Gretna fans, the last week of June 2007 was longer, and more bizarre than anything they had previously encountered. Millionaire owner and renowned philanthripist Brooks Mileson, the man who had single-handedly bankrolled the club to the highest realm of Scottish Football had controversially sacked manager Davie Irons and was holding open auditions at Raydale Park for anyone interested in taking the post of Manager at the club.

One of the men who showed up on that bizarre June day was New Zealander David Cain. He had no prior experience managing a football team, in the real world anyway, and his greatest footballing achievement was scoring the goals to propel the Dux de Lux pub team to the Christchurch Fourth Division Sunday League title a few years back. Nonetheless, he had always been intrigued by football management and decided to show up to see what the fuss was about.

Mr Mileson handed out a fooball trivia test to all those interested in the Managerial post, and to cut a long tale short, the previously unknown New Zealander had been given a shot in the big time. Locals were outraged that the position could be handed to one so utterly inexperienced, and even Cain himself found the position he found himself in a little strange.

However this sort of opportunity comes along once in a lifetime, and Cain was determined to make the most of it. Mileson most generously agreed to pay me a cool 1200 pound a week for the next two years with the proviso that Cain must ensure the club remained in the top flight for the foreseeable future. Couldnt be too hard thought Cain, until he was presented with his squad...

28th June 2007

I arrived in my office for the first time on the 27th of June, a little unsure of what a manger should be doing exactly. A few papers were scattered around the desk and upon closer inspection these documents revealed exactly the task I was up against. Among other things I found a statement from the accountants detailing the position I found myself in. Basically the club had a healthy enough bank balance of 503k and a 5 year sponsorship deal with Subway, running through to the 2011 season. At least the boys will be eating well I thought to myself. There was also a memo from Mr Mileson himself welcoming me to the club, and informing me of a meeting with the board later in the day. That should be intresting I thought to myself as I made myself comfortable.

As I strode into the meeting that afternoon, I was greeted with some rather sheepish, blank looks from the Board but got on with things anyway. After totally unimpressing them with my footballing background, they informed me that I would be expected to Stay Clear of the Drop this year, and fight hard in the cups. I was greeted by a chorus of laughs when I responded by telling them "I'll do better than that, you can expect a mid-table finish this year, and dont be surprised to see us fighting for silverware". This seemed to instantly endear me to Brooks and he informed me they were more than happy to reward my ambition with a tranfer budget of 350k and a wage budget of 17k per week.

1st July 2007

As ordered the team reported for training for the first time on the 1st of July. I had been shown the grounds by Brooks a couple days prior and was greatly impressed by the Youth Facilities and the Academy. With any luck this would prove a fruitful venture for the club, and help provide local juniors with a shot at the big time. The Training facilities were good enough for a club of this stature, though I'd only call them average at this stage. I was also informed Raydale Park unfortunatly is closed for renovations at this point in time, and we will be playing at Motherwells Fir Park in the mean time. We will have to see the impact of this, as whilst we can get more bums on seats at Fir Park, we may miss the rapturous local support we allegedly recieve at Raydale.

I met with my support staff and was handed a Team Report from my assistant, Derek Collins. The underlying message was to strengthen the entire squad, as it was, poor at best. Stylish young Frenchmen Aurelian Colin was apparently our best player, and was someone to base the rest of the team around I was informed.

To tell the truth, I was utterly unimpressed by these muppets who called themselves my Coaching Staff and with the exception of Goalkeeping Coach, Andy Jackson, the rest would be paid off and asked to leave immediately. Physio Kenny Crichton would also stay as he seemed to be the goods, or so I was told.

So with the help of Kenny and Andy, my only remaining staff members, I picked through the squad. There was no area that really stood out here, I mean, this lot was mediocre front to back. Avoiding Relegation with this lot would be a miracle. A new scout would be required asap, and I would certainly be looking to exploit the loan market too.

8th July 2007

A week later I had a new coaching staff. The lack of money at the club meant that top quality coaching would be a must. The battle would be that much easier if I had guys by my side capable of getting the best out of the Motley crew I called my team. Stephen Rennie(34) had been bought in as my Assistant, he had finished getting his badges with the highest marks ever recorded by a Scotsman. I felt he was an ambitious lad, and a workaholic, and he would be a great asset to have by my side. Fitness coaches Dougie McKeller and Stuart Barr joined, as well as did greenhorn coaches Scott Caldwell and Maurice Leighton. A bit of experience was necessary here as well, so in came ex-Croat International Striker Robert Prosenicki, Tottenham Coach Chris Ramsey, and old Kilmarnock Coach, Stuart McLean. John Murray joined from Hearts as my Chief Scout and would immediately be sent away to find a couple of gems in Mainland Europe.

So crucially the Coaching Staff was in place and I felt we could make some real progress before the season began. The improvement had taken up a decent chunk of my budget unfortunatly, and there was now just 231k left for transfers.

First Team Report

The first team will play a 4-1-2-3 formation and as such the team report will be presented in this manner. I have decided the team will play an up-tempo passing game with the emphasis on goals, and lots of them. As such the team will look to recruit Wingers and Attacking Midfielders, and hopefully shore up the defence with a couple of loan signings.

Goalkeepers

Greg Fleming (20) - 2 appearances for the Seniors, will be first choice Stopper, at least in the interim

David Mathieson (29) - 3 SCO U21 caps, though I dont know how, less than capable backup.

Artur Krysiak (17) - On Loan from Birmingham, about to be sent back I think

Right Backs

Craig Barr (20) - Not flash but the best we have, 16 apps lat year

Mirk Birch (30) - Englishman who spent last year at Southport

Left Backs

Gavin Skelton (26) - Very experienced with 170 apps/24 goals. Englishman who can also cover Left Mid

Kyle Naughton (18) - On Loan from Sheff Utd. Can also cover the Right. Not good at all

Center Backs

Aurelian Colin (21) - Stylish Frenchman expected to be our rock at the back, Signed from Amiens

Chris Innes (30) - Captain who is very solid at the back, an Inspiration.

Danny Hall (23) - Joined over summer from Shrewsbury an is far too slow.

Rhys Meynell (18) - On loan from Barnsley, Promising but rubbish now.

Center Mids

Abdul Osman (20) - Joined from Maidenhead. Useful Ghanaian.

Steven Hogg (21) - Joined from Shrewsbury after leaving Man Utd's academy side, a last resort here im afraid.

Attacking Mids

Fabian Yatorno (24) - Joined free from Uruguay, and is the jewel in the crown, Free Kick maestro.

John-Paul Kissock (17) - Very promising playmaker on loan from Everton

Ben Wilkinson (20) - Also plays strkier, rubbish everywhere, On loan from Hull.

Paul Murray (30) - 2 England U21 caps, Very determined and a useful squad player

Right Forwards

Brendan McGill (26) - Irishman joined from Carlisle last year, Scored twice in 9 games.

Rostyn Griffiths (18) - Blackburn loanee, good talent, but not there just yet.

Fraser McLean (19) - Promising indeed, but will be sent away to develop further.

Left Forwards

Nicky Deverdics (19) - Ex-Newcastle lad, score once in six games last term.

Ryan Baldaccino (28) - Signed from Carlisle, Scored 13 in 90 for the club, but relies solely on pace.

Strikers

Henry Makinwa (29) - Nigerian Journeyman, Good but not great in all areas.

Kenny Deuchar (27) - Joined in 2004 from East Fife, wont last much longer.

Mikael Buscher (20) - Free from Nice of France. Will seek to sell asap.

13 July 2007

Over the past fortnight the team was away on a three game mini-tour of Scotland. First up was lowly Hill of Beath, who we beat comfortably, by 2-0. Mikael Buscher grabbed both goals, and hopefully this will arouse some interest in the kid. Next up was Brechin who we got by 3-2, not a great performance here, but we showed some fight to get up, with Kenny Deuchar on the double, and Abdul Osman snaring the winner. Finally, we played Arthurlie, and I was pleased with a 3-1 victory in this one. Deuchar struck again, Nick Deverdics was on the mark, and Fabien Yatorno drilled home a delightful free kick.

We returned home to face the media at the SPL season launch where I was informed we were facing the enormous odds of 1000-1, and was asked whether I would be bolstering the squad. "Well, the blend here is alright, not great, but alright. I believe these lads could keep us up, but I will be looking to bring in a couple new faces to add some competition for places, to be honest though, we're not even considering relegation". A strong response from the Gretna boss, but staying up would require more than just smooth talking.

The next day I was informed by the accountant that we had reache an agreement with Dumbarton over the sale of Mikael Buscher. 12k would be the fee, not much but every pound counts. I wished Buscher all the best, but we were happy to see him go.

14 July 2007

We took on Newcastle United in a Friendly at Raydale Park, we weren't expecting miracles but to lose 3-0 was a bit dissapointing. In all truth, it could have been worse, we only had one strike on goal the who match. 5200 fans showed up for this one, which should get a few pounds in the kitty before seasons start. Meanwhile...

Gretna go Cosmopolitan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Gretna Football Club are proud to anounce the signings of Nejc Pecnik, Ignacio Piatti, and Andre Danielsen. We welcome these three brilliant players with open arms, and they represent the the start of a new era aof beautiful football here at the Gretna Football Club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John Murray had certainly earned his pay packet with this triple swoop. The midfield had looked a real liability in preseason to date and these three lads would all jump into starting roles.

Nejc Pecnik is a Slovenian U21 attacking midfielder whose passing range, work rate, and technique add a touch of class to this side. He joins for 80k from Slovenian side Celje.

Ignacio Piatti is a 22 year old Argentinean Winger who joins for Gimnasia(LP) in his homeland. He had previously been on the books of Freanch giants, St Etienne, and at 90k, represents a great piece of business.

Andre Danielsen shapes as the pick of the bunch. He will fill the holding role currently occupied by Abdul Osman. The 22 year old has 5 U21 caps for Norway and jois from Viking Stavanger for the princelly fee of 10k. He really is the epitome of the all round box to box midfielder, strong on defense, whilst equally capable on attack.

However, these signings will mean the end of Ben Wilkinson and Rostyn Griffiths loan spells, as well as bringing me to the decision that there is now no place for Steven Hogg, any offers for Steven will be considered.

22 July 2007

The next week saw us take part in two last friendlys, drawing 2-2 away to English side Tranmere, with Makinwa, and new boy Pecnik on the scoresheet, and at home to Werder Bremen whom we managed a credible 1-1 draw. We didnt look out of our depth here and Paul Murray's 74th minute equaliser sent the 3000 strong crowd home happy.

In other news, I decided to leave Chris Innes as captain, with Gavin Skelton his deputy. The important consideration was continuity, and it's important to have a homegrown leader for any club I've always felt. I talked with the lads and the board and we've decided to offer high bonuses for league and cup success, with the figures being 130k for a league title, and 55k for a cup win. The lads we're over the moon with this, and can't wait for the season to kickoff.

1 August 2007

I'd been working overtime with Jihn Murray to add a bit more depth to the squad as the current back up just wouldnt cut it at this level. We were delighted to announce the signing of four new face to augment the squad on season-long loans. And to cap it all off, we would'nt pay a cent for any of them.

This would be absolutely crucial, with the bank balnce now standing at 24k, and transfer budget at 51k. The wage budget, I had been informed had been exceeded by 507 pounds also, the accountants were calling me daily, to the point I was now ripping my hair out. Season Ticket sales had been announced, with 1290 sold in total. Hopefully we would get a bit of a walk up gate, as we need full stadiums to give us that 12th man in the stands, so to speak.

The Loanees...

Paul Caddis Celtic were kind enough to loan us Paul for the year. He's 19 years old but far better than Craig Barr in this role, and will be straight into the Starting XI at Right Back.

Matthew Park Hearts Australian Left Back will provide great Backup for Gavin Skelton, and looks to have a big future in the game, egually capable at Left Mid.

Scott CuthbertCeltic's Scottish U21 leftback will be our third choice center back, covering for Colin and Innes. Another with a big future and a point to prove.

Mike McGlinchey Celtic Left Winger and will start over Nicky Deverdics in the LF Role. Looks the goods, and would apparently like to join us for good.

Again for every man in, someone's gotta go, and this means the ship has sailed for Kyle Naughton and Rhys Meynell who will return to their clubs immediately. Aging Full back Mark Birch will be sold as will Maltese flyer Ryan Baldacchino as both offer little quality to this renovated squad.

With the squad now in place we wait with bated breath for the 4th of August and our first game, at home to Falkirk.

4th August 2007

Gretna vs Falkirk

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnic, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

A slight Groin injury to Chris Innes meant he missed this game, with Scott Cuthbert coming into the side, and Gavin Skelton taking the captaincy. The Falkirk side didn't look the strongest, especially in defense. The midfield looked a bit stronger, with Scott Arfield and ex-Trinidad international Russell Latapy being the main weapons.

The first half wasn't too exciting, Andre Danielsen pulled the string and sprayed a few nice balls around the pitch and all in all we looked the better side. Paul Caddis took a wee knock and was replaced by Danny Hall for the second half.

The game kicked into life in the second half when, in the 61st minute Ignacio Piatti latched onto a Greg Fleming clearance and went unopposed into the goalbox and slid the ball past Shane Supple. The lead didn't last long however as Scott Arfield layed a defense splitting ball through to Graham Barrett who expertly chipped Fleming to tie it up. The misfiring Makinwa was subbed off as was McGlinchey who made way for Deuchar and Deverdics. The move paid instant dividends as Ignacio Piatti won a free kick, which found Deuchar who headed home the go ahead goal. Falkirk had the lions share of chances late in the game but we held on for a valuable 3 points.

Gretna 2-1 Falkirk

Man of the Match : Ignacio Piatti

Attendance : 5328 (new record)

11th August 2007

Hibernian vs Gretna

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnic, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

The less said about this game the better. Any sceptics of Cain's managerial ability would have read their Sunday paper with glee as Hibernian crushed us 4-0. The rout started in the 17th minute when a Cuthbert backpass eluded Greg Fleming in goal and went straight in. It was the start of 12 poor minutes in which Brian Kerr, Steven Fletcher, and Colin Nish also stuck for the Hibees. We were much better in the second half controlling the game, with Pecnik and Danielsen to the fore. A breakthrogh could not be found and despite dominating possession(54%) and having 20 shots to Hibs 7, our lack of accuracy told, with just 2 of the 20 on target.

Hibernian 4-0 Gretna

Man of the Match : Steven Fletcher

18th August 2007

Hearts vs Gretna

Gretna (Fleming - Cuthbert, Skelton, Innes, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnic, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Deuchar)

After the nightmare at Easter Road last weekend nerves were running high ahead of the second leg of our Edinburgh road trip. Hearts are a strong side featuring Christophe Berra and organised by Ghanaian workhorse Laryea Kingston.

The match started out very evenly and it wasn't until the 30th minute when Robbie Neilson broke down the right from a Gretna corner that the game sprung into life. His cross found Andrijs Velicka who nodded home from close range. Half time came and went with the score remaining at 1-0 until the 63rd minute when we equalised when a a Gavin Skelton cross was turned in by Berra. Hearts quickly regained the lead through another header this time it was Frenchmen Christian Nade doing the honours.

When Pecnic was injured in the 79th minute, I decided to sub off Deuchar and McGlinchey as well. They had performed well enough but fresh legs were required here so on came debutant John-Paul Kissock, Deverdics, and Makinwa. The move paid instant dividends with Kissock latching onto a forward ball from Yatorno and lashing home from the edge of the area. Just when the game looked destined to be a draw, Henry Makinwa found his way onto a Aurelian Colin clearance and ran unopposed to beat Hearts keeper Joe Murphy, though subsequent replays showed the goal should have been disallowed as Makinwa was well offside. Nonetheless, we were good value for the win and 6 points from 3 games represented an excellant start.

Hearts 2-3 Gretna

Man of the Match : Gavin Skelton

25th August 2007

Gretna vs. Motherwell

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Kissock, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Deuchar)

This was apparently a home game, but the fact w're playing at Motherwell's ground, Fir Park seemed to negate our advantage. Ross McCormack was the dangerman for Motherwell and we would be watching him closely. There was just the one piece of action in the first period with Stephen Craigan's long ball expertly flicked on by Stephen Maguire for David Clarkson to hammer home.

The second half was cut and thrust with Clarkson hitting the bar in the 49th and looking a real menace up front. Changes were made in the 65th minute with Makinwa, Paul Murray, and Chris Inees coming on for Caddis, Deuchar, and Kissock. The changes again worked a treat with Makinwa scrambling home a loose ball a minute after his introduction, and the score would stay this way til fulltime, with Jamie Murphy scoring a disallowed goal after 81 minutes of play.

Gretna 1-1 Motherwell

Attendence : 7540 (new record)

Man of the Match : David Clarkson

28th August 2007

East Fife vs Gretna

League Cup Round 2

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Kissock, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Deuchar)

No need for detail hereas Gretna strolled to an expected 4-1 victory. A brace from Ignacio Piatti and further strikes from Kenny Deuchar and John-Paul Kissock guided Gretna to a four goal lead before Paul Stewart hit a late consolation.

Gretna also completed the signing of Forward Ross Hepburn. Cain sees the ex-Celtic junior as one for the future and after joining on a free transfer, joins Albion Rovers on loan where he will be joined by Fraser McLaren.

We also had a couple of exits this week with veteran defender Paul Birch and Midfielder Steven Hogg departing for Pollok and Livingston respectively. Both men left without a fee, and we wish them both all the best in the future.

1st September 2007

Rangers vs Gretna

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Deuchar)

Rangers at Ibrox, the first Old Firm assignment under David Cain's leadership and there was only one way this match could possibly go. With stars like Barry Ferguson on show, this one was destined to be a caakewalk for Rangers. Despite applying some early pressure, Gretna went behind after 16 minutes when Carlos Cuellar released Nacho Novo to fire the hosts ahead, and Lee McCulloch soon doubled the lead with a deflected Free Kick. On 34 minutes Cuthbert and Fleming blundered at the back allowing Novo to chip home the third from 40 yards.

Despite this Cain was happy with the effort, and told his men they had his full support. Kenny Deuchar and Nejc Pecnik made way for Kissock and Makinwa to liven things up a little. McGregor had been imperious in goal and Cain felt these two may offer something a little different. In the 65th minutes Makinwa fired a rocket of a free kick goalwards and McGregor did well to palm away, though only as far as Piatti, who tapped home the rebound. Then barely a minute later Kissock fired home from the edge of the box with a thunderous drive to reduce the defecit to 3-2. We kept applying pressure and it was well-deserved when a Kissock pass found Makinwa at the top of the box to tie the game. A famous draw for little Gretna, but it could have been 3 points as we dominated both shots(25-9) and possession(54%). Nonetheless, Cain was delighted with his lads.

Rangers 3-3 Gretna

Man of the Match : Nacho Novo

15th September 2007

Gretna vs Kilmarnock

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

Kilmarnock had been struggling prior to this game sitting 11th, with just 3 points from 6 games. There appeared to be few stars here and Gretna would be looking for 3 points in this one.

Within 15 minutes we were 2-0 up, Makinwa grabbing them both, first he received a nice ball from Pecnik and lashed home from 12 yards, and then headed home a peach of a cross from McGlinchey. However, Kilmarnock struck back in the 18th through a Gary Wales penalty, after Yatorno had brought down the beautifully named, Invincible. In the second half a scramble at the corner led to Yatorno making amends nd scoring the winner.

Gretna 3-1 Kilmarnock

Man of the Match : Henry Makinwa

22nd September 2007

Gretna vs Dundee Utd.

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Deuchar)

Dundee Utd look like a team going places with quality through the middle. We'd have to attack from wide to get something from this game as they have brilliant centerbacks in Lee Wilkie and Gary Kenneth, the mids arent too shabby either with Mark Kerr and Morgaro Gomis both a threat.

The game was full throttle from the kickoff with Makinwa tapping home a rebound from a blistering Yatorno drive, before Dundee Utd scored an identical goal down the other end 2 minutes later, Morgaro Gomis the benefactor. Then on 22 minutes a beautiful Piatti cross found Makinwa who headed home to continue his hot form. On 65 minutes Steven Robb latched onto Wilkie's long ball and levelled the game, and from ther on nobody looked like scoring again. A fair result in an even game.

Gretna 2-2 Dundee Utd

Attendance : 5077

26th September 2007

Gretna vs. Hearts

League Cup Round 3

A cup run had been mentioned to the board and that what the lads hoped to deliver against a Hearts side we had already beaten this season. The same lineup as last week was maintained. Laryea Kingston would again be the dangerman for Hearts.

In a bizarre twist early on Nejc Pecnik was injured in a collision with Kingston, and to our dismay, despite Pecniks injury, Kingston won a Free Kick which was lashed home by the man himself. Pecnik was replaced by star loanee Kissock and more attacking instructions were issued. We piled on the pressure and struck a deserved equaliser when Makinwa met Piatti's cross. Makinwa hit the post soon after but in the 41st minute, Kissock smashed home a ball from the edge of the box to give us the lead.

In the second half Fabien Yatorno scored a deflected free kick, much like Kingston's in the First Half and from ther we parked the bus in front of goal so to speak. Kingston struck again in the 92nd minute but it was too little too late as wee Gretna were through to the Quarters.

Gretna 3-2 Hearts

Attendance : 2239

Man of the Match : Laryea Kingston

29th September 2007

Aberdeen vs. Gretna

Aberdeen looked a reasonable proposition and we felt capable of grabbing at least a point vs a side featuring the likes of Scott Severin and Jamie Smith. Early on, Severin had an effort chalked out for offside, and the game resembled a wrestling match with 4 Aberdeen players booked in the first half. Makinwa was injured in one such challenge and replaced by Deuchar.

The second half saw few chances and we decided to chance our arm in the 75th minute adopting a more attacking look and replacing Cuthbert and McGlinchey with Innes and Deverdics. The move bore fruit in the 93rd minute when a delectable pass from Andre Danielson found Ignacio Piatti who produced a divine finish from a tight angle. The joy was shortlived however, as Danielsen fouled Mackie in the box, and he promptly equalised with the last kick of the game.

...from above

Aberdeen 1-1 Gretna

Man of the Match : Ignacio Piatti

In other news, Henry Makinwa grabbed a heroic double for the club, claiming Goal of the Month and Player of the Month in the Monthly awards. His feats have helped lowly Gretna to an impressive 6th place in the table.See Below

Celtic - 18pts(8)

Rangers - 17pts(8)

Motherwell - 15pts(8)

Hearts - 14pts(8)

Inverness - 13pts(8)

Gretna - 13pts(8)

7th October 2007

Gretna vs Celtic

Gretna (Fleming - Barr, Skelton, Innes, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, Kissock, Deuchar)

Welcome to the big time. A home match vs perennial Scottish giants Glasgow Celtic. They possessed great quality all over the park in the likes of Shunsuke Nakamura, Aidan McGeady, and the longest name in football Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink. This could be a long day. A look around the stands revealed a full house, At least we'd make some money from this game thought.

We were without our 3 Celtic loanees' McGlinchey, Cuthbert, and Caddis, which delpleted us severely but I wished the players the best of luck and told them they could win it. We made a strong start and very nearly took the lead after 12 minutes when Henry Makinwa hit the post. Celtic then put the heat on and imagine my surprise in the 41st minute when a Collin clearance found its way to atorno who freed up Makinwa for a shot. Boruc was brilliant to deny him, but Yatorno was there to tap in the rebound and Gretna were in dreamland.

The lads believed they could win this one and who was I to tell them otherwise? I told them I believed in them and on 57 minutes Yatorno's free kick went around the box like a pinball, until it fell at the feet of Kissock, who calmly slotted. There was no need to defend as the attack looked so good. Celtic were poor and looked tired and it was no urprise when Piatti won and converted a Penalty to secure a 3-0 win, the proudest in Gretna's history. They fought like warriors, and it was no less than they deserved.

Gretna 3-0 Celtic

Attendance : 13668 (new record)

Man of the Match : John Paul Kissock

We also banked 160k in reciepts at the gate, also a club record, things were looking rosy in the south of Scotland.

20th October 2007

St Mirren vs Gretna

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

St Mirren were languishing in last place with just 3 points from 9 games going into this one. We also had our three Celtic loan stars back and there was only on way this one could go, right? Wrong! There own loan star Charlie Adam scored first with a Freekick, and this was soon followed by a Steve McGarry goal on the break. We improved greatly in the second spell creating chances at will, but Hugh Murray again hit us on the break, and although Ignacio Piatti set up Henry Makinwa late on, it was little consolation as we suffered a crippling return to reality.

St Mirren 3-1 Gretna

Man of the Match : Charlie Adam

27th October 2007

Gretna vs Inverness CT

I gave the lads who lost so heavily last week a chance to redeem themselves vs Inverness. So imagine my dismay when Marius Niculae opened the scoring afrter 36 seconds. Makinwa hit the bar for us soon after, but again Inverness broke fast for Niculae to expertly finish again. 2 down after just 13 minutes. I decided to adopt a more agressive approach and it went close with Makinwa again hitting the bar. However a Ross Tokely long throw found Niculae who grabbed a hat-trick on 38 minutes. We grabbed a lifeline on the strke of half-time when a rebond from Makinwa's shot was bundled in by Slovenian Nejc Pecnik.

Spurred by my halftime rant, we struck immediately after the break when Makinwa nodded home a Yatorno freekick. Niculae was injured in the 70th minute and we rung the changes as well bringing on Deuchar and Kissock for Makiwa and McGlinchey. We threw caution to the wing and we got our reward when Pecnik defleted home a Kissock blast to leave Lubos amenar no chance in goal

Gretna 3-3 Inverness CT

Attendance : 5197

Man of the Match : Marius Niculae

31st October 2007

Rangers vs Gretna

Scottish League Cup Quarterfinals

After a heroic draw vs Rangers earlier in the year, and our 3-0 dismissal of Celtic, we saw hope in this game for us. The media didn't though offering odds of 10/1.

We got off to a flyer too, with Nejc Pecnik plundering home on the back of some fine play from Andre Danielsen. The joy was shortlived though as Darcheville soon squared it up. When Aurelian Collin tripped Beasley in the area he was shown a yellow, which his arguments soon turned into a red and Darcheville gave them a 2-1 lead with an extra man.

We attacked away anyway as we had to really, there's no second chance in the cups after all, and on 60 minutes Makinwa headed home a Piatti cross after a corner had been cleared. Think got better still when Broadfoot's elbow resulted in a red card and it was 2-2 and 10 a side from here on in. Makinwa was on hand in the 72nd minutes when Hemdani dallied on the ball, was dispossed and watched Makiwa race away to give us a 3-2 lead. And then on 84 minutes a long throw from McGlinchey found midfield sensation Pecnik, who clinched the victory for us.

Rangers 2-4 Gretna

Man of the Match : Nejc Pecnik

3rd November 2007

Falkirk vs. Gretna

Unfortunately we again slipt up after cup success, this time away to Falkirk, with a Rangers loanee again being our nemesis. After 6 minutes Caddis tripped Arfield in the box, only for our keeper Greg Fleming to make a heroic save. Falkirk weren't to be denied though with Darren Barr, and Gerard Aafjes heading home in the 44th and 90th minutes from Alan Lowing set pieces.

Falkirk 2-0 Gretna

Man of the Match : Alan Lowing

10th November 2007

Gretna vs Hibernian

Looking to redeem ourselves after an embarrasing loss to Falkirk last time out, we came up against a Hibs side which had cleaned us out 4-0 earlier in the year. I stuck to the same side as last week, giving the lads an oppurtunity to redeem themselves.

It didnt look to good for us when Steven Fletcher crossed for Filipe Morais to grab an opener on 31 minutes and our attack looked a bit toothless. But the lads rallied and in the 92nd minute Andre Danielsen fired a screamer home from outside the box, via a Rob Jones deflection to secure a valuable point. Fabian Yatorno grabbed the assist but Danielsen's First goal made the headlines tonight.

Gretna 1-1 Hibernian

Attendance : 5325

Man of the Match : Filipe Morais

25th November 2007

Gretna vs Hearts

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, Kissock, Makinwa)

We went into this game in 8th knowing victory would take us up to 4th. The prospect was mouth-watering and the boys were hungry. We opened the scoring 30 seconds in with a Yatorno thru ball sending in Makinwa for the opener. Yatorno was back 5 minutes later creating the second for Piatti to coolly slot past Joe Murphy. Hearts got one back in the 18th when Pinilla capatalised on a Greg Fleming blunder, dispossesing him to close the margin.

But Gretna weren't to be denied with Makinwa nodding home the third after Yatorno and Caddis were involved in some nice build-up play.

Gretna 3-1 Hearts

Attendance : 5198

1st December 2007

Motherwell vs Gretna

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Kissock, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

A game of little chances and even fewer goals. In fact nobody even looked like scoring here today as we played out an incredibly dul nil all draw. However away points are valuable, and Greg Fleming's confidence would have got a boost keeping a clean sheet here today

Motherwell 0-0 Gretna

Man of the Match : Nejc Pecnik

macca69 - glad you're enjoying it, wasnt sur if anyone was interested. 5th at this stage, will post a table in January.

8th December 2007

Gretna vs Rangers

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Kissock, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

There was plenty of hype surrounding this one as we heat beaten and drawn with Rangers in two encounters this season, and the stadium was awash with TV crews.

We got off to a flier, when a speculative Andre Danielsen effort deflected off Barry Ferguson into the path of John-Paul Kissock, who drilled home past the stranded McGregor. There were no more goals until the 59th minute when a Cuthbert long ball found Piatti down the right, who crossed for Makinwa to double the lead. 2-nl up and we looked unstopable. Content with the lead we sat back and absorbed the presure.

However, in the next 20 minutes everything changed. Darcheville was brought on and struck with his first touch, and Barry Ferguson blasted home a quickfire double to make it 3-2. I was livid and asked for an all out assaultfrom the lads. Danielsen won the ball and launched a counter attack in the 83rd, playing it forward to Kissock who in turn found Makinwa who raced away and rounded the keeper to tie things up. And the in the 94th minute, with the last kick of the match, a Kissock cross found Piatti, who beat Steven Smith, and hit home the winner to ignite pandemonium in the stands,

Gretna 4-3 Rangers

Attendance : 13646

Man of the Match : Barry Ferguson

15th December 2007

Kilmarnock vs Gretna

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Colin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Kissock, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

We wre a little weary about this one as we have trouble dspatching the weaker sides, and Kilmarnock are currently weakest of all, lying 12th and last. We got ahead in the 30th when Makinwa nodded home a Collin corner, this a rarity as we hadn't scored from a corner all year. However, in the 61st minute Killie equalised when Gary Wales fond unmarked sub Paul di Giacomo who converted the simplest of tap-ins to level it up. We dominated the shots in this game, Killie managing just one on target to our 19, but were left to rue two lost points, as they hung on for a draw.

Kilmarnock 1-1 Gretna

Man of the Match : Frazer Wright

22nd December 2007

Dundee Utd vs Gretna

We went into this one without topscorer Henry Makinwa and his replacement, Kenny Deuchar is hardly one to have SPL defences trembling. By half time our lack of thrust told, as we were down 2-nil. Firstly a Lee Wilkie free kick left Fleming stranded and Noel Hunt with an open goal to tap into, and then Hunt had a shot parried into the path of Craig Conway who also tapped in.

The lads got a well-deserved rollicking at the break, and were reminde of the upcoming transfer window. The move paid dividends when Aurelian Collin found Andre Danielson storming in at the near post to head in a corner. It was a relief we were now putting these set plays away as our profilgacy in front of goal had cost us dearly this season in this area. There was to be more however with Deuchar squaring the game in the 68th minute from a brilliant Paul Caddis cross. He then had a chance to steal it at the death only for an amazing Lukas Zaluska reflex save to deny him. Nonetheless the second half was much better and we were delighted to take a point.

Dundee Utd 2-2 Gretna

Man of the Match : Lukas Zaluska

26th December 2007

Gretna vs Aberdeen

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Collin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

The boxing day encounter is always interesting, and this year was no different. We were happy to be at home for this one, rather than face a trip away on Christmas day and we were happier still to have a ful compliment of players available. Not one injury, or even a hangover.

The game was essentially over by the 30 minute mark, with a shambolic Aberdeen side allowing us in three times. First it was Makinwa, from a Collin corner, then McGlinchey gave Pecnik a great ball to run onto and drill home, and finally Makinwa grabbed a double from a Piatti cross. The man made sense of the theory "White Men Cant Jump", the Nigerians arerial prowess proving a handful for all our opponents this year.

The boys ran riot and it was only in the 47th minute that Chris Maguire nodded home a Ricky Foster cross to add some respectability to the scoreline.

Gretna 3-1 Aberdeen

Attendance : 5175

29th December 2007

Celtic vs Gretna

Gretna (Fleming - Barr, Skelton, Innes, Collin - Osman, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, Kissock, Makinwa)

This was always going to be hard without Cuthbert, Caddis, and McGlinchey, but Danielsen's suspension made it even harder. We fought hard, and even looked the better side in the first half and went into halftime at nil all.

However, on 50 minutes our rarelly seen Captain, Chris Innes played a poor ball back to Greg Fleming , only for Scott McDonald to arrive first and open the scoring. We rallied hard but our passing lacked accuracy, and our forwards were misfiring. We slumped to a 1-nil defeat, our first in 8 games.

Celtic 1-0 Gretna

Man of the Match : Artur Boruc

JANUARY 2008

the season so far...

Table (after round 20)

Rangers 46 +27

Celtic 39 +11

Inverness 37 +10

Gretna 30 +3

Hearts 30 +2

Dundee U. 27 0

Aberdeen 26 -2

Hibernian 24 +3

Motherwell 24 -7

Falkirk 20 -2

St Mirren 13 -22

Kilmarnock 10 -23

Top Scorers

Makinwa Gretna 16

Boyd Rangers 11

Darcheville Rangers 9

Fletcher Hibernian 9

Wynness Inverness 8

Pinilla Hearts 8

To be 4th at the turn of the year is an achievement in itself. We were being talked about as relegation candidates, but through some canny work in the transfer market, we find ourselves beating the big boys, and challenging for Europe. Without trying to single him out, Makinwa has been the key man so far, and his dominance in front of goal has done wonders for us.

However we have been lucky with injuries, and we do look a bit thin in areas.

Goalkeepers

Fleming has been great in goal. Hasn't missed a game, but Mathieson ddoesn't suffice as backup. A better backup is needed urgently.

Defenders

Again it's been pretty solid. Skelton isn't the best but is playing above himself. Collin looks key and the loanee's are doing wonders. The backup is poor with none of the really upto SPL standard. Heavy reinforcing is needed.

Midfielders

Probably our strongest department. All 5 of the starters have done really well, and Kissock has had plenty of game time and surprised us all with his goals. Beyond that Osman looks alright, and maybe Deverdics.

Strikers

Makinwa's been immense and Deuchar's backed him up when necessary. He can do a job, but wont stay next year.

The finances look very healthy with 600k now in the bank, largely thanks to our ongoing cup run. Still just 51k in the transfer kitty though, so major reinforcements are unlikely.

We have given new contracts to three fringe players. Abdul Osman, Nicky Deverdics, and Fraser McLaren have extended their stay until June 2010. Meanwhile...

Gretna go Swedish

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Gretna have today announced the signings of three young footballers. 18 year Swede's Mariwan Suleimani and Robin Nylen, as well as Ghanain-Swede Benjamin Kumi join the club for no fee from Kenty, Hollviken, and Nasby respectively. Kumi is happiest in defense whilst Nylen and Suleimani operate in the midfield. The three youngsters will hopefully be sent out on loan to continue their devlopment with a view to first-team football next season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2nd January 2008

Gretna vs St Mirren

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Collin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

At home to lowly St Mirren, 3 points were demanded here of the lads, especially if they dared dream of playing in Europe next year. 14 minutes in and a trademark Yatorno freekick found the head of Collin who powerfully headed home. Chances were awash in this game, but it wasnt until the 86th minute when supersub Deuchar nodded home a Piatti free kick that the points were safe.

Gretna 2-0 St Mirren

Man of the Match : Aurelian Collin

Attendance : 5768

3rd January 2008

More movement at Gretna FC

Gretna today welcomed 25 year old Rangers keeper Graeme Smith to the ranks, to provide competition for Greg Fleming. He arrives for a meagre 12k, and signals the end of the road for 29 year old backup David Mathieson, who won't be missed by anyone.

We were also happy to announce the signings of Barnsley Winger-Striker Michael Coulson, and Inverness Center-Mid Dale Gillespie, both to arrive free of charge at the season's end.

Meanwhile Paul Murray will join Ross County, and Craig Barr will depart for Morton, both moves also coming at the season's completion.

5th January 2008

Inverness CT vs Gretna

A crucial away day as the battle for 3rd place intensifies. We have the luxury of being fully fit, and our best XI make up the side for this one. Better still, the danger that is Marius Niculae, is out for this one, much to the relief of our backline.

We went ahead on the counter after 9 minutes, with McGlinchey's raking through ball finding Makinwa who raced away, giving Lubos Kamenar no chance in goal. Hower, that was not all she wrote as they say, with Graham Bayne springing the offside trap to level, and then teeing up Wynness who gave Caley a 2-1 lead at the break.

After a break filled with four letter expletives, the players went out with determination, and most likely fear of defeat. 33 seconds was all it took for McGlinchey to cross for the brilliant Makinwa to nod home his second. Controversial to say the least however, with Ally McDonald lying on the ground in agony, McGlinchey just strolled right on by him. Finally in the 91st minute we again struck a late blow, this time Caddis providing a lovely cross for super-sub Kissock to snatch an unlikely victory. The boys had spared themselves the wrath of Cain.

continued...

Inverness 2-3 Gretna

Man of the Match : Graham Bayne

12th January 2008

Motherwell vs Gretna

Scottish FA Cup 3rd Round

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Skelton, Cuthbert, Innes - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

Our FA Cup run fell flat on its face at the first hurdle. We played well enough if you read the statistics, but statistics dont always equal wins. Captain Innes was looking old at the back and was passed regularly with ease. Chris Porter grabbed 3 marvellous goals for the Well, all long range corkers.

Motherwell 3-0 Gretna

Man of the Match : Chris Porter (who else?)

19th January 2008

After the shock defeat from Motherwell last weekend, we were looking to take our wrath out on Falkirk. As I had hoped we dominated this match start to finish and deserved three points. Problem was, Falkirk had decided to place an impenatrable shield in front of the goal, a shield named Shane Supple, and we never got past him.

Gretna 0-0 Falkirk

Man of the Match : Shane Supple (the impenetrable shield)

Attendance : 5757

26th January 2008

Hibernian vs. Gretna

Hibernian had been our bogey team all year, and today was to be no different. The attack looked toothless, the defense looked careless, and the keeping was hopeless. Colin Nish played like a man possessed and when he ran onto Morais' through ball in the 20th minute, looked reminiscent of a greyhound on speed. He would later head home Kevin McCann's freekick to secure an easy win.

Hibernian 2-0 Gretna

Man of the Match : Colin Nish

29th January 2009

Celtic vs Gretna

Scottish League Cup Semi-Finals

Gretna (Fleming - Barr, Skelton, Innes, Collin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, Kissock, Makinwa)

This looked to be a big day in the history of Gretna FC. They were a club devoid of any major silverware, indeed this was their first foray into the top-flight and a League Cup trophy would be a great start. Indeed victory here woulb mean a final appearance vs lowly Falkirk. Trouble is, Celtic are no small obstacle.

18 seconds, yeas that's all it took for Scott McDonald to open the scoring. Great play from Japanese schemer Nakamura put him through the stunned Gretna backline. Fortunately, they took it as a wake up call and we saw out the half just one goal down.

50,000 fans had showed up and no small portain were in the black and white colours of Gretna, nd I urged them not to play for me, but to do it for the fans. Yatorno was dire in the opening stanza and replaced by the barely-used Abdul Osman. He made an instant impact, when his shot went as far as Makinwa. Boruc had already dived and Makinwa was left to tap-in. Next it was a Makinwa shot deflected into the path of Nejc Pecnik, who also tapped home. 19 minute from glory then and we pulled our men back.

We fought hard and held out until the 89th minute when Innes' creaking legs couldn't keep up with Samaras and struck a dramatic equaliser. In the 113th minute Nakamure again teed up McDonaldto give Celtic the lead again, and controversy struck in the 122nd minutes when Kissock was fouled on the goalbox line, it could have been a penalty, it must have been an inch outside, but it wasn't and we were out. I was gutted but proud, the boys fought hard and that's all you can ask for.

Celtic 3-2 Gretna (aet)

Attendance : 50100

Man of the Match : Scott McDonald

9th February 2008

Hearts vs Gretna

There were only two bits of brilliance in this game. One each. First was a lovely Ignacio Piatti cross which found Mike McGlinchey looming on the far post all alone in the 66th minute, and the second came two minutes later in the 68th when Bulgarian Stanislav Manolev delivered the same exact goal to Mauricio Pinilla to square it up.

Hearts 1-1 Gretna

Man of the Match : Mike McGlinchey

16th February 2008

Gretna vs Motherwell

After the dull draw last time out, those hoping for a better game were left a little dissapointed. One goal this time, though luckily it was ours. A long ball from Yatorno found Piatti who flicked on for Henry Makinwa to steal home. Very dull match, but three points are always welcome.

Gretna 1-0 Motherwell

Attendance : 8724

We were however happy to announce shortly after the game the imminent partnership between ourselves and Stenhousemuir. The terms of the deal would see us pay a nominal annual fee to them, whilst being able to loan our young starlets with the. We would also receive first refusal on any young talents in their ranks.

23rd February 2008

Rangers vs Gretna

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Park, Cuthbert, Collin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

With Gavin Skelton away injured, Matthew Park was left to deputise wjhat had been affectionately refered to as "Gav's Corner". Unfortunately, he and I had to endure a fine performance with a terrible bottom line.

There would be goals galore, three from set-pieces in this one. Steve Whittaker, Kirk Broadfoot, Kris Boyd, Barry Ferguson, and Nacho Novo would all score, though two of them may well have been ruled out for offside. We were actually pretty good out there though. 18 shots to their 1. 9 each on target and 55% ball in our favour. We stuck a late consolation through Makinwa, but left stunned as we succumbed to an undeserved loss versus a team we'd made our bunnies this year.

Rangers 5-1 Gretna

Man of the Match : Kirk Broadfoot

27th February 2008

Gretna vs Kilmarnock

Gretna (Fleming - Caddis, Park, Cuthbert, Collin - Danielsen, Pecnik, Yatorno - Piatti, McGlinchey, Makinwa)

After the thumping at Ibrox we welcomed the arrival of SPL whipping boys Kilmarnock. 3 Minutes in and we were off the mark, McGlinchey beat Jim Lilley with ease, and squared for Makinwa to head home, However soon after Paul di Giacomo swooped on some negligent defense to tap in an equaliser. From ther on we dominated though, and goals fom Makinwa (again...) an Kissock secured the points, even young Ghanain Bejamin Kumi slotted in at defender towards the end of the game fo an earlier than expected debut.

Gretna 3-1 Kilmarnock

Attendance : 5757

Man of the Match : Mike McGlinchey

milanfan - cheers for the support, may try mix it up in the future, though i'm not going for a novel, just trying to build a dynasty with a team of battlers, maybe it'll inspire others to have a stab at leaving the big 4, possibly give them some ideas. Will alter the structure for season two i think...

1st March 2008

Gretna vs Dundee Utd.

Sean Dillon, Dundee Utd Fullback, and now Gretna hero. With a full compliment of players at our disposal, we seemed confident of getting a good result. Our mate Sean Dillon handed us a corner after 15 minutes, allowing Collin to find Andre Danielson on the near post to head in. Dillon was again involved on the stroke of halftime, his foul on McGlinchey, allowing Piatti to convert a penalty. 2-0 at the half, and three points in the bag.

Dillon would make sure of that when he was red-carded in the 52nd Minute for his second yellow card, and although sub Eric Odhiambo grabbed a late consolation, the points were ours.

Gretna 2-1 Dundee Utd.

Attendance : 6079

Man of the Match : <STRIKE>Sean Dillon</STRIKE> Ignacio Piatti

Archived