Did he mean it? (spoilers)

Rafalution

Did he mean it?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Did he mean it?

He did not mean for it to go in. He did, however, mean for it to go into the box, and maybe something would happen, which it did. If you look at the replays, Maicon isn't even looking near the goal. Still impressive though...

He obviously meant to hit it towards the goal, probably hoping to get a deflection from the keeper. If he had an intention to go for even a fast powerful pass to the box he would hit the ball with inside or left side of the tip of his foot. He strikes with the tip of his foot, almost outside of it even, hoping to get a rightward curve, which he got.

He obviously meant to hit it towards the goal, probably hoping to get a deflection from the keeper. If he had an intention to go for even a fast powerful pass to the box he would hit the ball with inside or left side of the tip of his foot. He strikes with the tip of his foot, almost outside of it even, hoping to get a rightward curve, which he got.

IMO all you've proved is that the way he hit it makes it look like he meant it. But what we're trying to find out is whether the way he hit it was intentional.

I still say it was a hit and hope across the box, playing the percentages, might go in, might reach the far post and get tapped in. In which case, he meant it.

I don't get why people would see the fact that he looks into the box as an indication that he didn't mean it when it seems pretty clear that he checks to see whether there's a team mate suitably placed to receive a cross, sees that there isn't, runs another 3-4 metres to get into the best position, then shoots. Of course he meant it.

I don't get why people would see the fact that he looks into the box as an indication that he didn't mean it when it seems pretty clear that he checks to see whether there's a team mate suitably placed to receive a cross, sees that there isn't, runs another 3-4 metres to get into the best position, then shoots. Of course he meant it.

This. This. This. This. :thup:

Couldn't of said it better.

I really don't get you all saying about him, 'looking into the box first'...

He could of been checking for team mates positions, no-one in space, shoots.

He could of been fooling the goalkeeper, making him come away from his front post, shoots.

He meant it.

But watch where he looks immediately after hitting it.

Here's a hint: it's not at the goal, it's at the players running towards the goal.

He was running at a fair speed, the way the ball sliced in makes sense for someone running at speed and trying to get a boot round it. Has he said something himself out of interest, just wondering if he's gone down the Ronaldinho "yeah, I have been practicing that" goal he scored against England in '02

Think the way he moves after striking the ball says a lot, didn't have control and was losing balance, and when you are off balance and moving in the way he was, the chances are you will slice the ball, which he did. The Portugal one, he could have stood still after hitting it if he wasn't running off to celebrate.

Archived