Group G - Brazil vs North Korea - 15:30 (Brasília), 19:30 (London)

PMLF

small_flag_of_brazil.gifvs small_flag_of_korea_north.gif

Brazil vs North Korea

Date: Tuesday, 15 June 2010 Kick-off: 15:30 (Brasília), 19:30 (London)

Venue: Ellis Park, Johannesburg

ellis-park-stadium2.jpg

FIFA's preview:

Brazil-Korea DPR preview

It is hard to contemplate Tuesday's Group G match-up between Brazil and Korea DPR at Ellis Park without entering into the realms of cliché – tournament favourites against complete outsiders, David meets Goliath. Yet the first ever meeting of this hugely contrasting pair, the five-time world champions and the lowest-ranked of the 32 qualifiers – the North Koreans are 85th in the world – holds plenty of intrigue.

The match

Brazil-Korea DPR, Group G, Johannesburg, Tuesday 15 June, 20.30 (local time)

On paper there should be only one outcome, with evidence of the disparity in pedigree everywhere. Brazil, the only country to have taken part in every edition of the global showpiece, are entering their 19th FIFA World Cup™; Korea DPR are returning to the world stage for the first time since their debut appearance in 1966. Under Dunga, the South Americans booked their place in South Africa with three games to spare while coach Kim Jong-Hun's side left it until the closing match to seal qualification with a goalless draw against Saudi Arabia.

Brazil's build-up has featured five straight friendly wins – indeed since their successful defence of last year’s FIFA Confederation World Cup here in South Africa, they have recorded eight wins in ten matches played. Korea DPR, by contrast, were often found wanting in their eleven warm-up matches which yielded just two victories. Brazil's attacking quality – their lineup features such talents as Kaka and Luis Fabiano – needs little introduction and should ensure some baptism of fire for the East Asian team, who are expected to stick with the defensive 5-4-1 formation they employed to hold off the likes of Iran and Saudi Arabia en route to qualification. Still, those with longer memories would not risk writing off the North Koreans, who stunned Italy to reach the last eight on their finals debut in England 44 years ago.

Players to watch

Luis Fabiano v Ri Jun-Il

Luis Fabiano will be eager to maintain the form that brought him nine goals in eleven qualifying games – as well as 15 in 23 Liga outings for Sevilla in 2009/10. Trying to contain the free-scoring No9 represents the toughest task yet for the cool-headed Ri Jun-Il, the 22-year-old who will continue his sweeper role in front of goalkeeper Ri Myong-Guk.

The stat

29 – Dunga's experienced squad is the oldest in the FIFA World Cup, averaging 29 years and 60 days, while Kim's men are the third youngest (25 years and 140 days).

What they say

"The responsibility is always bigger for Brazil so we will face a lot of difficulties in our first game. There's an anxiety to record our first win but the most important thing is how the team should perform on the pitch to avoid any upset," Gilberto Silva, Brazil midfielder.

"You can't say we have big chances just as you can't say we have no chance. It will not be easy to compete against players like Kaka, but this is also a dream," An Yong-Hak, Korea DPR midfielder.

Voice of the fans

"North Korea will definitely show no less than full determination. However, experience is what they lack and Brazil is very familiar with the World Cup. But still, a game is not won on paper, any team can win on any given day at any place," FIFA.com user Attacker17.

The question

Brazil have lost merely two of their previous 18 opening games at FIFA World Cups – back in 1930 and 1934. Can their little-known opponents really stun the planet by making it three?

Probable line-ups:

Brazil: Júlio César; Maicon, Lúcio, Juan and Michel Bastos; Gilberto Silva, Felipe Melo, Elano and Kaká; Robinho and Luís Fabiano.

Manager: Dunga

North Korea: Myong-Guk; Jun-Il, Nam-Chol, Song-Chol, Kwang-Chon, Chol-Jin; In-Guk, Young-Hak, Nam-Chol, Yong-Jo; Tae-Se.

Manager: Kim Jong-Hun.

Referee: Viktor Kassai (Hungary)

Assistants: Gabor Eros and Tibor Vamos (also from Hungary)

It's Brazil 93rd WC game, and the first time Brazil and North Korea play against each other. Dunga's Brazil tend to struggle to break tight defenses (home 0-0 draws against Bolivia, Colombia and Venezuela in the WC Quals), which should help make this game more interesting if North Korea's defense live up to the hype.

Robinho has been the best player in recent games, having scored 4 goals in 3 games while Luís Fabiano hasn't scored any goal in his last 5 games.

Brazilian site "Chance de Gol", that uses math formulas to predict the outcome of matches, gives the following percentages of chances for this game:

Brazilian victory - 85%

Draw - 12.2%

North Korean victory - 2.8%

I expect another boring game, like most Brazil's games are.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably be 2-0 to Brazil with Luis Fabiano and hopefully Kaka scoring.

Why hopefully Kaká scoring?

I expect a similar score though, probably Robinho scoring one of the goals.

But it will be better for this group if Brazil don't win.

mon the Glorious Leader himself taking the field in a surprise twist :mad:

Vladimir_Putin_with_Kim_Jong-Il-2.jpg

Why hopefully Kaká scoring?

I expect a similar score though, probably Robinho scoring one of the goals.

But it will be better for this group if Brazil don't win.

Just because he is in my Fantasy Football team.

Just because he is in my Fantasy Football team.

At least Kaká scored on his last game (vs Tanzania), his first goal in 12 months for Brazil, but Kaká is still not 100% (and probably won't be during this WC), so he probably won't play the whole game tomorrow.

I dont think Brazil look too good this year, but many people thinking they are just going to dominate.

I went for Brazil 3-1, i can see North Korea scoring, and probably Robinho scoring at least one

Yes, this Brazil is the worst since I have started following this national team, but they should in theory still be good enough to beat North Korea.

Really looking forward to this. Games like this are what can really make a World Cup. I'm afraid, PMLF, that I'm going to root for the underdogs and cheer on the North Koreans. Some sort of North Korean success is surely the only way we'll ever see the Western media widely praising something from the country.

However, I'm sure Brazil will win it. It doesn't take an expert to predict that - by how many though, is another thing. Hopefully North Korea can make a game of it but we'll see.

Really looking forward to this. Games like this are what can really make a World Cup. I'm afraid, PMLF, that I'm going to root for the underdogs and cheer on the North Koreans. Some sort of North Korean success is surely the only way we'll ever see the Western media widely praising something from the country.

That's OK, only glory hunters support Brazil if they are not Brazilian. I will be neutral on this game, I don't like this foreign Brazil much (although I like the style a lot), so I'll be happy too if North Korea win. :)

However, I'm sure Brazil will win it. It doesn't take an expert to predict that - by how many though, is another thing. Hopefully North Korea can make a game of it but we'll see.

Yes, a NK victory would be a huge surprise. I am sure the NKoreans know this Brazil team inside out though, although it might not really make any difference.

if Ronaldinho was playing it would be 13-0 but I go for 4-0 Brazil

For the Brazilian national team:

Júlio Baptista >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ronaldinho Gaúcho

Ronaldinho Gaúcho, as like Adriano, had his chances and wasted them, so Dunga (despite his faults) was right in not taking him to the WC. :thup:

Júlio Baptista >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Elano

Elano is good for Brazil and fits the style well (Brazil need someone to deliver the set pieces and to work as a sort of 3rd DM), better than Júlio Baptista, so again, no complaints here.

Elano is good for Brazil and fits the style well (Brazil need someone to deliver the set pieces and to work as a sort of 3rd DM), better than Júlio Baptista, so again, no complaints here.

Ahh I see. So does Elano operate as a DM? Always thought he was an attacking player.

For the Brazilian national team:

Júlio Baptista >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ronaldinho Gaúcho

Ronaldinho Gaúcho, as like Adriano, had his chances and wasted them, so Dunga (despite his faults) was right in not taking him to the WC. :thup:

i'm aware of this form you concern yourself with but I assure you vs a team like North Korea a player like Ronaldinho would make things easier

Ahh I see. So does Elano operate as a DM? Always thought he was an attacking player.

Yes, at times he works as a sort of 3rd DM, other times he has a more attacking role.

i'm aware of this form you concern yourself with but I assure you vs a team like North Korea a player like Ronaldinho would make things easier

I wouldn't take that for granted, and Brazil don't need to crush North Korea, a 1-0 victory is just fine.

you sicken me Paulo, your drab and depressing expectations are very disappointing and very intentional

You overestimate Ronaldinho, he has been awful for Brazil since at least 2005.

And I am just telling the truth, Brazil winning 5-0 might be great, but what really matters is winning, 1-0 gives 3 points just like 10-0.

Brazil don't need to crush North Korea

I disagree. If Brazil don't crush North Korea then people will see that as a sign of weakness and have more confidence when coming up against Brazil.

I know where you're coming from, but I really think that you should be crushing North Korea, and that it's important for your campaign to do so.

I disagree. If Brazil don't crush North Korea then people will see that as a sign of weakness and have more confidence when coming up against Brazil.

I know where you're coming from, but I really think that you should be crushing North Korea, and that it's important for your campaign to do so.

I don't overestimate him I am not a fool I am aware of his career, I just believe in a game like this (with Korea sitting very deep) his style would be effective. 5-0 gives much more confidence than 1-0.

5-0 also gives overconfidence, which is just as bad as no confidence.

And if the other teams underestimate Brazil, then that's better for Brazil, as they will be more exposed to Brazil's counter-attacks.

we will see PMLF, I just feel you have a very cynical view of things.

Not cynical, just pragmatic.

1-0 = 3 points

Any extra goals are just bonus, they may be useful if Brazil end up tied with someone, but Brazil should really win all games, even if all of them by 1-0.

Not cynical, just pragmatic.

1-0 = 3 points

Any extra goals are just bonus, they may be useful if Brazil end up tied with someone, but Brazil should really win all games, even if all of them by 1-0.

Actually, to answer/complete my own post, Brazil don't even need to win all games, but it makes it easier to win the title if they win the games. But doing like Argentina in 1990 and winning games on penalties in the playoffs is just fine too, although a bit risky.

I'm supporting Bad Korea, obviously.

:thup:

You are a bigger evil.:thup:

Because I don't like this silly beautiful game style, and prefer a pragmatic approach? :(

More or less in the line of what Muricy Ramalho (one of the best Brazilian managers nowadays) said about how his team play:

If you want to watch a show, go to the theater

Probably the biggest advantage for North Korea, besides Brazil's inability to break defenses, is that it's the debut game for both teams, so Brazil will probably be more nervous and anxious than usual.

But probably once Brazil score the first goal the game will be over, and Brazil will just need to play the ball around and score again if there are chances, as NK probably won't threaten Brazil's defense much.

Because I don't like this silly beautiful game style, and prefer a pragmatic approach? :(

More or less in the line of what Muricy Ramalho (one of the best Brazilian managers nowadays) said about how his team play:

You, Dunga, Muricy Caralho, yes. I don't want Brazil winning the WC.

There is more freedom in North Korea than in Dunga's team.

You, Dunga, Muricy Caralho, yes. I don't want Brazil winning the WC.

There is more freedom in North Korea than in Dunga's team.

Well, the Supreme Leader is wiser than any of us. :cool::D

But pragmatic football is great, even if it's painful to watch the games. :cool::)

North Korea will be tough to beat in all the games. I have seen them and they aren't easy. They never stop chasing players. Brazil will use their height advantage and their strength to beat them though.

I hope they are tough indeed, it will be great for the WC if NK and the Ivorians win tomorrow.

Yeah, this WC has been great so far, Paulo.

From a fan's point of view yes, but the teams will be missing the point of playing the tournament if they care more about entertaining than about trying to win at any costs.

Archived