GROUP E - The Netherlands v Denmark, 12:30 BST/13:30 CET

Micado

GROUP E - The Netherlands v Denmark, 12:30 BST/13:30 CET

wc2010logo.png

nl-flag.gifV da-flag.gif

The Netherlands	 v 	 Denmark	@ Soccer City Stadium, Johannesburg	12:30 BST/13:30 CET

Referee 		: Stephane LANNOY (FRA) 
Assistant Referees 	: Eric DANSAULT (FRA) and Laurent UGO (FRA)
Fourth Official 	: Roberto ROSETTI (ITA) 
Fifth Official 		: Paolo CALCAGNO (ITA)

Netherlands player in focus: Wesley Sneijder. One of the best players in Europe last season, Sneijder was the midfield mastermind behind Inter Milan's Champions League triumph. His career has been resurrected at the San Siro after he struggled to make an impression at Real Madrid - despite starring for Netherlands at Euro 2008. With a keen eye for an incisive pass, Sneijder will be creator-in-chief for the Dutch and opponents should beware his accurate delivery from set-pieces, and superb shooting ability from distance.

Denmark player in focus: Christian Poulsen. After enduring a torrid season with Juventus, Poulsen will be relishing playing with a group of players who may actually resemble a team. A tough-tackling midfielder, his presence will be crucial in ensuring the likes of Sneijder and Van der Vaart don't see too much of the ball. Keep an eye on his temper though, he has a rather chequered disciplinary history.

Key battle: Robin van Persie v Daniel Agger. Van Persie has looked backed to his clinical best since returning to the national team, bagging four goals in the Oranje's three warm-up games. After missing a large chunk of Arsenal's season, despite an apparent visit to the Serbian placenta clinic, Van Persie now looks fresh and ready to spearhead Van Marwjik's forward line at the finals. Standing in his way for Denmark is Liverpool's Daniel Agger. Injury has kept his profile under the radar, but he has proved a commanding presence at the back for his country when he has played. His aerial ability isn't great, but he's more than capable of matching RVP on the ground.

Trivia: Aged just 18 years and three months old when the tournament starts, Denmark's Christian Eriksen will be the youngest player at the 2010 World Cup, narrowly ahead of Vincent Aboubakar of Cameroon, and the youngest in his side by almost three years (Simon Kjaer was born on March 26, 1989)

Stats: The Netherlands have lost only one of their last 12 group stage matches at World Cup finals (against Belgium in 1994).

Odds: Netherlands (1.53), the draw (4.00), Denmark (6.50) with Bet365. Netherlands to lead at half-time, but a draw at full-time is priced attractively at 19.00.

Dutch Line up:

Stekelenburg; Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen, Van Bronckhorst; De Jong, Van Bommel; Kuyt, Sneijder, Van der Vaart; Van Persie.

Predicted Danish Line up:

Sorensen; Kvist, Kjaer, Agger, Jacobsen; Poulsen, Kahlenberg, Jensen; Rommedahl, Gronkjaer, Tomasson

Dutch national anthem (partly):

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe ben ik van Duitsen bloed,

den vaderland getrouwe blijf ik tot in den dood.

Een prinse van Oranje ben ik,

vrij onverveerd,

den Koning van Hispanje heb ik altijd geëerd.

Danish national anthem (partly):

Der er et yndigt land,

det står med brede bøge

nær salten østerstrand

nær salten østerstrand

Det bugter sig i bakke, dal,

det hedder gamle Danmark

og det er Frejas sal

og det er Frejas sal

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game of the day, and it's on at 12:30! Quite disappointed, but I understand that there's more than just us GMTers watching the game.

Will record it and watch it later, as I'm expecting an open and free-flowing match.

Hope Denmark will get a good result, but can't see it happening unless Holland will have the "a draw is fine to start with" mentality which I doubt they will

4-1 to Netherlands I think. And please God, let Jon Dahl score!

Hope Denmark will get a good result, but can't see it happening unless Holland will have the "a draw is fine to start with" mentality which I doubt they will

4-1 to Netherlands I think. And please God, let Jon Dahl score!

We should win this one of course, but anything is possible, really. I can see our team choking a bit if things don't go well. If there's anything that Oranje needs more of it's the German mentality.

And whoever scores, let it be anyone, anyone at all, except the only dirty arsehole in the Danish team, Jon Dahl :D Kutkakkerlak!

I wonder if Bendtner is really not playing or if Olsen just played mind games. There's just something fishy about the whole thing. He partly trained with the group yet Olsen announced he wouldn't play days in advance.

Either way tho, Holland should win this.

Is Robben playing? Best winger in the world.

Good luck Holland

No, so far it's been said he might just be fit or might not. As he's made of a particularly brittle type of glass they're not going to risk it.

this has the potential to be the best game of the groups.

I'm predicting that honour to go to Germany v Serbia (if the Serbs get their act together) or Portugal v Brazil. This could well be the best game of the first round, though.

• Administrators

Netherlands: Stekelenburg, van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen, van Bronckhorst ©, van Bommel, De Jong, Sneijder, van der Vaart, Kuyt, van Persie

Denmark: Sorensen, Jacobsen, Kjaer, Agger, S. Poulsen, C. Poulsen, Enevoldsen, Rommedahl, Kahlenberg, Jorgensen ©, Bendtner

Netherlands to make everyone forget Germany :cool:

And then choke in the playoff stages ofc :(

Pah, just because that happened once or twice* :(

* (every single time since '78 in fact :/ )

You lucky man :D

Stuck at work..

Here at my job they were kind enough to set up a huge screen in the canteen. Very little in the way of work will get done here in the next few hours.

2-1 for Holland. I don't think they'll keep a clean sheet, will probably let a soft goal in in the 80th minute or so.

\o/ Het Wilhelmus. Good work Micado.

Split loyalties here but it's hard to resist a bit of Holland. Hopefully a good Agger performance in there though.

Archived