Deep Lying forward

Iv been having trouble with this for a while. if i have a CF and iv set him to deep lying forward role, if i put him as support id imagine with regards to his mentality he will drop deep to get involved in play, but with the attacking feature will he not be more up top and less likely to drop deep with his mentality much higher??.

and if this is the case why is the attack option there if it no longer makes him a deep lying forward??

so with the attack option does he still drop deep or not??

any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Player mentality defences the starting position of players both with and without the ball. The more defensive, the deeper their station. If you want your forward to drop deep and collect the ball off the midfield, then you have to reflect this is the individual mentality.

Player mentality defences the starting position of players both with and without the ball. The more defensive' date=' the deeper their station. If you want your forward to drop deep and collect the ball off the midfield, then you have to reflect this is the individual mentality.[/quote']

so if the deep lying forward when set to attack is higher up the pitch whats the point in having it in the option for player role in the creator?

so if the deep lying forward when set to attack is higher up the pitch whats the point in having it in the option for player role in the creator?

It depends. For example if you are playing him by himself and trying to recreate the false 9 then an attack option would see him go to midfield when needed to link up but also be looking for his own goals. Or the case could be that you are playing a low defensive line with support midfielders then you might not want him to drop down too deep as that limits your attacking threat.

Just because a deep lying forward's role is to link up with the midfield and provide it doesn't mean there is only 1 way to play them. I play with a deep lying forward on support also but when I find that the opposition is weak in central midfield and my midfielders can push up I play my forward on attack. This is because he doesn't have to drop too deep with my midfielders pushing up so he can naturally link up when needed but once he does that job he can sprint up and put himself in dangerous positions.

I used Carlos Vela as a Deep-Lying Forward with an attack duty as part of a 4-4-2. He played alongside an attacking poacher and was fantastic.

He sat deeper than the Poacher, collecting the ball usually with his back to his marking defender and turned to dribble through the defence and either place the shot or set up the Poacher. Off the ball he would move into channels and attempt to get his head onto any crosses or finish any through balls from out wide.

I wouldn't use the role in a 4-5-1.

• 4 months later...

Reviving this thread/question...

Regarding the Deep-lying Forward (Attack) role: Who would you say plays this in real life? Where could I watch the best example of this particular role? Either individual players or team tactic examples would be helpful. From what suikoden says, it's a compromise role that allows him to drop deep and avoid being isolated from the midfield, but doesn't turn him into simply a supporting playmaker. It sounds like this role could be used in either a lone striker or partnership setup. I'm trying to understand how the Attack version of the deep-lying forward role is uniquely used to understand how it is different from the deep-lying forward support role, or trequartista, or complete forward role, et cetera.

I've always thought deep lying forward on attack would have been how Darren Bent played for Charlton in a 4-5-1.

He liked to get in behind defences, so he had to be on an attack role, to push high up the pitch.

He wasn't (and isn't) the most technical player, he's not skilful or a great dribbler. So advanced forward or poacher didn't suit him, especially not in a 4-5-1.

Bent is also fairly strong and decent in the air, he'd hold up the ball when he could and keep things simple.

A deep lying forward on attack can hold up the ball and link the play, but also push up and get in behind if the chance opens up. Most other roles require the player to be very good in a few areas, while this one has most instructions on mixed, so it can suit a more all round striker or maybe one that doesn't stand out in areas required for other roles.

Archived