Sink or Swim in the Premiership

Leo30

Bolton 1 West Brom 3

Whilst the rest of the premiership focus on Cup football we travel to Bolton to play our game in hand. And what a game it was, I drop Earnshaw to the bench and decide to give Francis Jeffers a run out following his lengthy injury.

Carter was suspended so there was a little bit of tweaking the squad but it seemed to pay off. Ellington scoring from the penalty spot after 10 minutes. Bolton score a tremendous equaliser if I must say so my self infact I missed it as the blew flew into the back of the net at such a speed.

We held our nerve and went ahead from Kamara and extended the lead late on with Greening.

"This was excellent we are now 4 league games unbeaten sitting happily in 11th and challenging for a top half position. I thought we passed the ball around the park nicely and Greening was exception I knew that we would get on the score sheet today with the way he has been playing. Felt sorry for Kamara as he was booed all afternoon following the 50/50 challenge early on, but he remained focus and seem to shut the crowd out. I am happy and proud."

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moore to leave Hawthorns for Bristol

Darren Moore will leave West Brom at the end of his contract to a move to Bristol City. The central defender has not been able to cement a a regular position in the West Brom starting line up. Moore is said to be dissapointed at the lack of opportunities he has had since Lee Allen's appointment but appreciates that the manager cannot keep everybody happy. Moore has made 119 appearances for the Albion since joining from Portsmouth in 2001.

Mane leaves for Wales

Lee Allen has decided to cut his losses and allow Spanish midfielder Mane to join Cardiff.

Mane a signing at the beginning of the season has been unsettled and has not featured as much as what fans would have liked. However the form of Darren Carter has given manager Lee Allen no alternative than to leave the player on the bench.

Lee Allen commented on the move "Its not ideal to let a player go so soon after signing him, but I felt that Mane would push for a first team place alot quicker, he has not settled at the club and it was obvious that he was looking for another club. Its a shame we have made a big loss on him, but thats football you take risks with signing unknown players."

Preston 2 West Brom 2

West Brom's first visit to Deepdale in the Premiership produced a classic as the home side fought back from two goals down to draw 2-2.

Papadopoulous' goal on 60 minutes resuced a deserved point for Preston and kept ther survival plans on track after Dalla Bonna and Ellington put West Brom 2-0 up wihin the first 10 minutes. Torghelle scored Preston's other goal just before the end of the first half.

Lee Allen was left wondering what went wrong after such a positive start to the game. "It was dreadful defending for the second goal. We seem to fall apart defensively in the second half losing our concentration and focus."

Preston still remain in the drop zone but are now level on points with Birmingham.

Villa sack O'Leary

Aston Villa have parted company with manager David O'Leary.

O'Leary had managed the Villa for 75 games and came to an end following the 1-0 home defeat by Man City. Villa currently sit in 13th place in the Premiership.

Javier Clemente is the favourite to take over the position but chairman may turn to English interest which could place Iain Dowie, Harry Redknapp or Danny Wilson in the frame.

West Brom 2 Newcastle 1

West Brom defeat Newcastle this afternoon in a tight contest that could easily have been won by either side.

Lee Allen's West Brom are now 6 games undefeated and confidence is high at the Hawthrons.

It was the Baggies who took a lead in the 13th minute with an Ellington strike. The lead was to last only 4 minutes when Micheal Owen places himself on the score sheet.

Francis Jeffers scores the goal that seperates the sides and ensures that the 3 points stay in West Brom.

Lee Allen told press outside the ground after the match "This result proves that we are better than the relegation favourites that was suggested at the start of the season. Newcastle thrashed us at the start of the season 4-0 but we got our own back today, all the players have done well, its always good to beat a big club like Newcastle especially we they deal you a thrashing at their own place.

We are now 11th in the league which is a really pleasing place to be and I would have taken that at the start of the season, we can now build on this and we can get upto at least 8th if we can continue to play good football."

Thanks joeyb. Sorry for not updating for ages, but been really busy (again)

Midfielder Brian Smikle is released for a two month period to Championship side Sheffield United. Smikle who has yet to break into the Albion first team will be looking to gain valuable first team experience during his period away from the Hawthorns.

Lee Allen has sealed runner up in the January manager of the month awards.

The Baggies boss is enjoying a decent run of form that has seen his side maintain a midtable position in the Premiership. Pundits were expecting another relegation battle for the Black Country side but the rookie manager has turned the tables as he battles to guide West Brom to be the team of the Midlands.

7 Games Unbeaten

Aston Villa 1 West Brom 1

The West Brom fans are excited as manager Lee Allen guides the Baggies to a run of 7 games unbeaten following this disappointing result at Villa Park.

Nathan Ellington nets for the Albion on the half hour mark, the Villa equaliser came on 60 minutes from debutant Louis Boa Maorte who joined up with the Villa following his recent £2.2 million move from Championship side Fulham.

It was an impressive debut for Boa Morte who scores a goal and also is awarded the man of the match award.

West Brom will go down!

Villa boss Javier Clemente slams Premiership rivals West Brom following the recent 1-1 draw at Villa Park.

Clemente claims that the performance of the visitors was that of a relegation threatened team and that Lee Allen faced little hope of keeping his Midland rivals in the Premiership.

Allen defends West Brom

West Brom manager Lee Allen today reacted angrily to the Aston Villa manager Clemente's comments that appeared in the News of the World yesterday.

"We are on 7 match unbeaten run, he has been in charge for 2 games and he starts blowing his top. Strange comments when we are higher up the league than them, but still he has alot to learn about English football and inparticular smaller clubs like West Brom. My players are fighters and they will be looking to prove a point to Clemente. We get a point at their place, I think he should be more worried."

"Comments like this also increase the rivaly between these two teams as both sets of fans want to be the best in the Midlands, he has got everybody's back up in West Brom. We must remain positive and ignore these comments as we will easily stay up. I just hope he hasn't shot himself in the foot."

Baggies gunned down

Arsenal leave the Hawthorns following a 2-1 win this afternoon.

Nathan Ellington sent the home fan's into raptures with a well placed 38 minute goal. The goal seem to wake Arsenal who dominated for long periods in the second half and goals from Hleb and Lyungburg steal the points.

Arsenal manager Wenger was full of praise for his opposite number in the press conference following the game. "Lee has maintained a good team and the Hawthorns is one of the tricker ties to play. They are strong and pass the ball around well, I thought they played alot better in the first half and their goal seemed to spur Arsenal on, I thought that we were worthy of all 3 points and I am pleased. The result sees us still in touch with Chelsea and its going to go right down to the wire"

Joy calls me at home, "Hi Leo"

"Hi Joy, how you doing love, sorry haven't been in touch but its been busy here, how are you feeling?"

"I'm ok, its a slow process but feeling alot better, I'll be back to haunt you in a couple of weeks"

"That's great news its been like a mortuary since you left"

"I nearly was in the mortuary Lee" We both laugh. "So how you coping without me?"

"All I can say Joy is I hope you like filing, the temp is so slow and well I don't know why we've kept her. And her cups fo tea are awful."

"I'll come back sooner if you like"

"NO....I don't want you coming back until you feel 100% its not worth it you must look after yourself spend as much time with Ron as you can, put your feet up whilst you can"

"Yeah ok boss, I have to go to Doctors next week so I'll see what he puts on my note hopefully he'll sign me off."

"See you Joy look after yourself,"

13th February 2007

Theres a knock on my office door. "Come in"

"Hi Lee, just thought I'd point out that Postma was absent from training today, I've tried to get hold of him but had no luck"

"Ok Nigel thanks for letting me know I'll see him when he comes in, I know he's disappointed about keeping the bench warm but he had an awful start and Russell is playing well at the moment, it's what you call tough luck"

"Can I leave it with you boss"

"Yeah sure, have a good evening"

14th February 2007

I pull onto the car park and Stefan Postma followed me in. We walk into the ground together. No words were exchanged between the two of us. We walk into the main building and I stop and talk to the receptionist. Stefan continues. He takes a couple of steps.

"Stefan in my office NOW" He knows that I'm not happy and I wouldn't normally shout in public but he has really cheesed me off.

As we walk to my office words are still not exchanged.

We both sit down. "Well????"

"Well what boss?"

"What's your excuse, where was you"

"Didn't feel like coming in" he replied as if he wasn't bothered. His responses were sending my temperature higher and higher.

"Postma, I don't believe you, you've thrown your dummy out the pram and gone off in a huff. Yeah I know your gutted about not playing but what you expect me to do, play a weaker team. You had your chance at the beginning of the season, now you have to wait to your next opportunity and who knows when thats gonna be. You have shown that you are not committed to West Brom"

"I am boss, I like here but I want first team football."

"Well act like a first team player then not a YTS, this cannot continue your fined a weeks wages. Now get out and prove to me you want to be at this club, if you don't then leave"

He leaves without comment. This is one of the rare times that I lose my cool. Stefan is a good player and I like the chap, he is on par with Russell but he had bad luck at the start of the season. I think the kick up the back side will do him the power of good, we all need one of them every now and again.

Csaba Fehera pulls up with a groin strain in training and will be out for nearly a month. Steve Watson may be able to revive his Baggies career.

We do not have a game for 2 weeks so the lads can have a rest and be ready for the game against Man City.

Youngster Rob Davies who is yet to figure in the first team has been sent to Lincoln for a 2 month loan spell.

Thanks guys for the compliments. Its good to know people are reading your story.

Youngster leaves on loan

Lee Allen has agreed to loan youngster Jarrad Hodgkiss for a month to Gillingham. Hodgkiss is no where near a call up for a first team place and will be looking to break into Gillingham's first team for valuable experience.

GOALS GOALS GOALS

West Brom 5 Man City 3

This was never going to be a goaless draw as the last tie produced a 9 goal thriller. This afternoon's match was just as good and another 8 goals for the spectactors to watch.

Vassell and O'Connor put the visitors 2-0 up after 20 minutes then the fightback began. Goals from Ellington and two from Jeffers within the next 10 minutes put the hosts 3-2 up. Greening scores a fluke goal which surely should have been a cross seals a 4-2 interval lead.

Garry O'Connor pulls a goal back to make the tie still much alive but a second goal for Ellington makes the final score West Brom 5 Man City 3.

"What a result, that was perfect. We always have a good game against City where there's loads of goals but we always seem to score that extra one or two than them to steal the three points. There's one or two area's that need improving and a couple of players had medicore games. We have slight worries about Hoult and Clement for next week's trip to Ipswich but we'll have to watch this space."

Current League Table

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> 1st | | Chelsea | | 28 | 22 | 4 | 2 | 59 | 18 | +41 | 70 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Man Utd | | 28 | 19 | 4 | 5 | 63 | 31 | +32 | 61 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 3rd | | Arsenal | | 28 | 17 | 9 | 2 | 54 | 21 | +33 | 60 |

| 4th | | Liverpool | | 28 | 14 | 10 | 4 | 31 | 15 | +16 | 52 |

| 5th | | Everton | | 27 | 13 | 6 | 8 | 39 | 26 | +13 | 45 |

| 6th | | Tottenham | | 27 | 11 | 11 | 5 | 35 | 26 | +9 | 44 |

| 7th | | Man City | | 28 | 13 | 4 | 11 | 40 | 37 | +3 | 43 |

| 8th | | Charlton | | 28 | 11 | 8 | 9 | 38 | 38 | 0 | 41 |

| 9th | | Middlesbrough | | 28 | 10 | 9 | 9 | 37 | 34 | +3 | 39 |

| 10th | | Bolton | | 28 | 8 | 14 | 6 | 33 | 28 | +5 | 38 |

| 11th | | West Brom | | 27 | 10 | 7 | 10 | 53 | 58 | -5 | 37 |

| 12th | | Newcastle | | 28 | 9 | 6 | 13 | 40 | 39 | +1 | 33 |

| 13th | | Aston Villa | | 28 | 8 | 8 | 12 | 31 | 39 | -8 | 32 |

| 14th | | Portsmouth | | 28 | 5 | 12 | 11 | 28 | 41 | -13 | 27 |

| 15th | | Leeds | | 28 | 5 | 12 | 11 | 31 | 55 | -24 | 27 |

| 16th | | Birmingham | | 28 | 6 | 8 | 14 | 32 | 43 | -11 | 26 |

| 17th | | Blackburn | | 28 | 4 | 14 | 10 | 35 | 51 | -16 | 26 |

| 18th | | Preston | | 27 | 5 | 10 | 12 | 27 | 38 | -11 | 25 |

| 19th | | West Ham | | 28 | 5 | 5 | 18 | 28 | 54 | -26 | 20 |

| 20th | | Ipswich | | 28 | 1 | 3 | 24 | 20 | 62 | -42 | 6 |

</pre>

With 10 mathces left to play West Brom have enough points to ensure that they won't finish bottom of the league. The next West Brom match is against struggling Ipswich who must now be guaranteed Championship football next season. West Ham also find themselves some distance from safety but with a few good wins may be able to save themselves.

At the top of the table Man Utd and Arsenal have alot to do if they are to catch Chelsea.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Wilbor!

SUNDAY 11TH MARCH 2007

Life wasn't fun being an Ipswich fan, struggling with 1 win all season and destined for a quick return to the Championship. Lee Allen takes mid table West Brom fo Portman Road knowing that 3 points would be there for the taking. The match was live on Sky Sports 1.

Joseph-Desire Job scored a 48 second goal that sends the Baggies fans wild and the Ipswich fans were silenced when Francis Jeffers nets Albion's second on 4 minutes.

The Ipswich fans finally come to live on the 23rd minute when Owen Garvan pulled a goal back but the comeback was shortlived when Ellington restores the Baggies advantage to 2 goals.

It was a bad day in the office for Ipswich when Christian Weber was sent off on the strike of half time for holding back Job.

West Brom were unable to capitalise with the extra man advantage throughout the second half despite numerous opportunities to increase their lead.

Arnold Bruggink who was brought on in the second half picked up a bruised rib following a late challenge and will probably not feature for 2 weeks.

Lee Allen's Comments: What a resultm everybody predicted us to pick up the 3 points and we did it. The early goals I feel made us relaxed and there was never no doubt which team was going to win especially with them down to 10 men in the second half

Jeffers and Bruggink have picked up slight knocks, I'm aware of Arnie's injury but will have to wait for the physio report on Francis although I don't think that it is anything serious.

The win sees us move up to 9th and into our highest position this season. The lads have picked themselves up well following a shaky start. I'm just so happy to be at the Club, this is great.

17th March 2007

Away V Portsmouth

After such a good performance at Portman Road the Baggy Boys suffer a 2-1 defeat against Portsmouth.

Darren Carter puts the Albion 1-0 up as early as the 3rd minute with a well placed penalty. However 2 late goals in the second half ensures the points stay at Portsmouth.

"I'm disappointed but we played well, the lads gave all they have got. We are still up in the top half of the table and I can't complain about that. adds Lee Allen

Wigan sack Jewell

Paul Jewell has been sacked by Championship side Wigan following a disappointing season's performance that sees the recently relegated team languishing in mid table.

Colin Todd who has been unemployed since his sacking from QPR in March, Stan Ternent who has been out of the limelight for some time and Mick Harford who has recently been relieved of his duties at Rotherham are linked to the job.

However Bookies favourite is another QPR ex boss in Ian Holloway who has been unemployed for 18 months.

JEFFERS WANTS OUT

I pick up 'The Sun' on the way into work and like any sport fanatic turn straight to the back pages of the paper. That's where the interesting stuff is. And interesting it was. I stumble in amazement at the headline "Baggies can't match my dream". Apparently its an exlusive interview with Francis Jeffers. I read in amazement to find that he wants to move in a bid to win trophies and that he needs to move to fulfill his dream. And what does he think I want to do. Sit around at the Hawthorns for years in mid table. I am fuming. I call Nigel on his mobile at the training ground. "Nigel tell that Jeffers to come to my office before he leaves the club"

"Is everything ok Leo?"

"You obviously haven't seen the paper this morning, come in with him, I want to know what's going on in that head of his"

Nigel walks in and is followed by Francis. "So what you call this?" I slam the paper onto my desk with the headline visible. Nigel picks up the paper and starts to read. His face is as mad as mine when I was reading it.

"So......Come on lad, whats going on?"

"Well boss. They caught me off guard. I think I'm playing well and they asked me about my future and obviously I want to win things"

"Yeah we all want to win things, you obviously don't think we can win things"

"No...I didn't say that I swear on it. I want to win things and if I can with the Albion."

I pounce on Francis he does not like comfrontation and to be honest neither do I. But when one of your players talks to the press about a possible move it needs to be tackled.

I don't know whether to believe the lad or not. Nigel sits still in amazement and I'm surprised nothing was said by the other lads at the training ground.

"Right lad, lets get one thing straight. I want to win things, you want to win things, we have something in common. In order to win things I need dedicated people at this club and people who play well. You are playing well theres no doubt about that. But are you dedicated to West Brom? Things are looking good here and for you to leave would be a sad loss. I'm not going to stop you if you want to leave but this club is a sleeping giant and I want to play a part in waking it up but do you?"

"Yes of course its good here, the lads are great and I get on with everybody the season's going well."

"Right thats sorted, go on get home, and Francis watch what you say to the press next time"

Holloway heads to Wigan

Confirmation that Ian Hlloway has been appointed as manager of Wigan.

The new JJB boss will be looking for a late push in the Championship but he will probably have to focus on a promotion push next season with Wigan currently in 14th place.

Ellington in England Squad

Nathan Ellington is called up as a late replacement into the England squad following the injury to Michael Owen.

Ellington has made 26 appearances for the Baggies this season and netted 16 goals in the process.

31st March 2007

West Brom V Leeds

Johnathan Greening picks up the man of the match award as he nets two goals in West Brom's 3-1 win to push Leeds further into the relegation battle.

Desire-Job nets West Brom's other in what pundits thought would be a closer game.

Lee Allen stated "This is a wonderful result, another good performance and a valuable 3 points in the bag. I can't beleive how things are going here it's unthinkable how things are going, we have a test next week against champions Chelsea and this will prove how far we have progressed. At least we are not involved in the relegation fight which is becoming close."

Chelski comeback halts Baggies

West Brom blasted 3 first half goals to surprise Chelsea. Greening and Kamara doing the damage. Lee Allen will be disappointed that the side threw away the points against the Premiership leaders as they pulled back the advantage and held on for a point.

Lee Allen was pleased at the performance and made the following comments "It was a good game, it had everything, goals, penalty, sending off you name it you saw it here today. To lead Chelsea 3-0 is a miracle its just a shame that the lads couldn't hold on for the 3 points. Chelsea won't want to play us again in a hurry at least we were able to do the other clubs near the top a favour."

Lee was asked about his hostile relationship with the Chelski boss. "Its clear that we don't get on, he thinks that Chelsea are unstoppable but hey we scored 3. He thinks we should be near the foot of the table and the players have shown him. We're proud to be from West Brom."

We manage to beat Middlesborough 2-0 and crash to a 2-1 defeat against Birmingham.

The result sees West Brom in 9th place.

Ipswich have been confined to Championship football and the fortchoming weeks will decide certain teams fate.

Lee Allen is pleased with the way the team are performing and will be ecstactic if West Brom can finish in the top half of the table. "Things have gone well, we are a little to inconsistent at the moment but we are holding our own. I feel that we may have established ourselves as a Premiership club, the pressure will always be on the teams that get promotion, so my fingers are crossed. I'm looking forward to next season but theres still alot to play for this season.

Chelsea retain Premiership

Chelsea retain the Premiership for the third consecutive season with three games remaining following their 1-0 home win over Middlesborough.

Villa draw 0-0 with Champions League hopefuls Liverpool and Newcastle remain just below halfway following their 3-2 away win over Charlton.

West Brom seriously dent Everton's hope of a European place with a 4-3 win at Goodison Park. Kamara netting two and Jeffers and Koumas also getting on the score sheet.

Baggies Boss Lee Allen comments "When we went 2-0 up I thought please don't let us throw away the game, we don't want another comeback. The game was exciting and end to end stuff. I like what I'm seeing and I'll continue with the same squad all being well"

Liverpool 2 West Brom 0

An injury to Stefan Postma in the 15th minute was a bad start to the afternoon for West Brom

at the New Anfield this afternoon. A bumper crowd of just under 61,000 witnessed two early second half goals for the reds secure the three points and the battle for European places is stil wide open.

Lee Allen states "Liverpool are a force to be reckoned with and wouldn't be surprised if they improve ready for next year. They are definitely in with a chance on this performance they played us off the park and I didn't think we played that bad. Theres only a couple of games left and I just hope we can hold onto the position that we are in now, that would be some acheivement."

Rafe Benitez has full praise for the West Brom team "I don't know why people thought that West Brom would face a battle to stay in the Premiership they are a well organised team and are playing well, they made it difficult for us today, and they are no pushovers. Lee Allen has done a grand job with them and he should be pleased. It takes time to establish yourself in the Premiership but I am sure in a couple of seasons West Brom will be up there"

West Brom 0 Tottenham 1

Tottenham stengthen their claim for a Europen spot with a hard fought solitary goal win at the Hawthorns. The visitors task was made easier as early as the 11th minute when Gaardsoe committed cynical foul and the referee had no choice but to produce a red card.

The home side dug deep and prevented the visitors scoring until the 75th minute. As West Brom tried to pull back the deficit they left themselves wide open at the back, however poor finishing from the visitors resulted in the final score being 1-0.

Newcomers to Premiership confirmed

Luton and Stoke will be fighting for survival next season as they earn promotion from the Championship.

The four teams in the play offs consist of Blackpool, Palace, Norwich or Sheff Wednesday. Crewe, Hartlepool and surprisingly Fulham are relegated. Fans of Fulham have staged a demonstration as the clubs sees relegation in two seasons.

Millwall return to the Championship and Walsall return to their highest division. Wolves leading the way for so long must try and get promoted via the playoffs with Gillingham, Bristol City and Swansea trying to stop them.

Aldershot return quickly to the Conference and are joined by Darlington. Forest Green fight to play another season. Oxford, Barnsley and Wrexham move up into League 1.

Kidderminster return to the football league and will be joined by Cambridge, Exeter, Cheltenham or Crawley. Crawley must see themselves as outsiders as they are the only team without League experience.

West Brom 0 Man Utd 4

Manchester United brush aside West Brom in a one sided contest this afternoon.

Alex Ferguson's men were 2-0 up by half time thanks to an Christian Ronaldo and Niste;rooy goals.

Ferguson's men continued to press forward during the second half and Nistelrooy scores two goals to net his hatrick.

Ferguson admits that Nistelrooy was having a wonderful season scoring 21 goals.

West Brom boss Lee Allen could only praise the Manchester team after watching his side outplayed comprehensively.

West Ham 0 West Brom 0

West Ham were unable to pick up the maximum 3 points that may have saved them from relegation. In a game dominated by the away side the score does not reflect the high tempo and the high number of shots made.

Both goal keepers had a magnificient game and the defences were very tight knitted.

Lee Allen comments "It's been an enjoyable season for us, I'll take finishing in mid table its a big achievement, it takes a couple of seasons to adapt to this level of football so we are slowly getting there, teams are not presuming that they will pick 3 points up against us. I feel sorry for Alan Pardew and the boys I think they are better than what their position says, but if you don't get the points on the board that's what happens"

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | C | Chelsea | | 37 | 29 | 6 | 2 | 76 | 23 | +53 | 93 |

| 2nd | | Arsenal | | 38 | 25 | 9 | 4 | 82 | 30 | +52 | 84 |

| 3rd | | Man Utd | | 38 | 24 | 7 | 7 | 83 | 41 | +42 | 79 |

| 4th | | Liverpool | | 37 | 19 | 12 | 6 | 45 | 20 | +25 | 69 |

| 5th | | Tottenham | | 38 | 18 | 11 | 9 | 51 | 41 | +10 | 65 |

| 6th | | Everton | | 37 | 17 | 10 | 10 | 55 | 40 | +15 | 61 |

| 7th | | Man City | | 38 | 17 | 6 | 15 | 51 | 43 | +8 | 57 |

| 8th | | Bolton | | 38 | 11 | 19 | 8 | 43 | 37 | +6 | 52 |

| 9th | | Middlesbrough | | 38 | 14 | 9 | 15 | 51 | 51 | 0 | 51 |

| 10th | | West Brom | | 38 | 14 | 9 | 15 | 70 | 78 | -8 | 51 |

| 11th | | Newcastle | | 38 | 14 | 8 | 16 | 56 | 52 | +4 | 50 |

| 12th | | Charlton | | 37 | 13 | 9 | 15 | 47 | 55 | -8 | 48 |

| 13th | | Aston Villa | | 38 | 10 | 14 | 14 | 37 | 46 | -9 | 44 |

| 14th | | Portsmouth | | 38 | 9 | 16 | 13 | 40 | 52 | -12 | 43 |

| 15th | | Blackburn | | 38 | 7 | 17 | 14 | 41 | 63 | -22 | 38 |

| 16th | | Birmingham | | 38 | 8 | 12 | 18 | 42 | 59 | -17 | 36 |

| 17th | | Preston | | 38 | 7 | 12 | 19 | 35 | 54 | -19 | 33 |

| 18th | | Leeds | | 38 | 6 | 15 | 17 | 42 | 76 | -34 | 33 |

| 19th | R | West Ham | | 38 | 7 | 10 | 21 | 40 | 70 | -30 | 31 |

| 20th | R | Ipswich | | 38 | 2 | 3 | 33 | 27 | 83 | -56 | 9 |

</pre>

The final league table.

Ronnie Wallwork is unhappy abouthis lack of first team opportunities and following a quite heated discussion it was agreed mutually that the player would be allowed to leave the club if an offer was to be tabled that was acceptable to the club and to the player.

Ricardo Scimeca ends his West Brom career by moving to Bristol Rovers. "It's been a wonderful couple of seasons and I hope West Brom continue to grow and become firmly established as one of the top clubs in England. I did not play as many games as I would have liked to but leave with no bad feelings. The club is going places and I'm sure Lee Allen will be able to guide them in the right direction" he quotes

OOPS It wasn't the final league table but the results didn't affect the positions

West Brom earn £6million following their mid table finish.

Johnathan Greening earns runner up in footballer of the year a fantastic achievement for the player.

Lloyd Dyer is on his way out of the Hawthorns and will move to League 1 side Bradford.

It is reported that West Brom will unveil new signing in a couple of weeks once the players pass a medical.

JEFFERS BAGGIES PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Striker Francis Jeffers has been voted Baggies player of the season.

It is rumoured that the player wants to move away from the Hawthorns in a bid to win trophies. The players agent reports that Baggies boss Lee Allen told the player that he will not be moving anywhere.

BIG TRANSFER ACTIVITY AT WEST BROM

West Brom sign Chelsea want away player Glen Johnson in a 2.1 million move to end the players nightmare period in London.

David Bellion also joins the Albion on a free transfer sparking rumours that Francis Jeffers will leave the club soon.

Juanfran joins in a £450,000 move from Newcastle however the biggest capture is Andrea Gasbarrani from Manchester City for a fee of £3 million.

Bristol City sign Darren Moore on a free transfer. Moore had been with the club since 2001 following a £750,000 move from Portsmouth.

Ricardo Scimeca moves to Bristol Rovers on a free transfer and Lloyd Dyer passes his medical and joins Bradford.

Our Pre-Season friendlies sees us take a tour of Belgium with a home game squeezed in as well. Joy returned to work and I thought it would be good if she came along with the team, so I paid for Ron & Joy to spend some time with us. I thought it would be nice for them and Jess was coming as well, so they could do what they wanted and I could spend time with the guys.

Southport brought a strong team to the Hawthorns in our first friendly and 2 goals from Nathan Ellington made sure we got off to a winning start.

Our solitary home game was against Lokeren and a solitary goal from Robert Earnshaw on 10 minutes was the difference between the two sides. A small crowd of 2,500 witnessing the new signings on the Hawthorns turf.

We then travel to Belgium for our four game tour. Opening fixture against Union Royal Namur an amateur side. Glen Johnson picks up man of the match award and Francis Jeffers nets an Albion goal but the home team score in the 87th minute to earn a respectable 1-1 draw.

KAS Eupen hosted the Baggies in the second friendly. Eupen a semi pro team found themselves 2-0 down with 20 minutes left after goals from Greening and Della Bonna but 2 late goals denies Albion their first tour win.

Standard were the third opponents, Albion playing the Eurpean Cup qualifiers. Albion race into a 2-0 lead with Carter and Jeffers netting. Albion managed to hold on despite conceeding a late Standard goal. Albion record their first win on Belgium soil with Lee Allen in charge.

The last game was against Virton another Semi Pro team. Albion record their second straight win after Ellington scores on 85 minutes. The game is ruied with the sending off of Juanfran and the carrying off of Greening.

Greening's injury is serious and has to be referred to a specialist and will spend months on the side lines. He will be a real miss in the Hawthorns line up but the fans will be hoping that the new signings will be able to fill the huge gap left by the misfortunate injury.

We return from Belgium and go straight back into the office to catch up, I pick up a fax and see that Ipswich are interested in Curtis Davies. A 1.3 million deal tabled. I call Curtis to tell him the news.

"I knew it was coming boss, they watched me a couple of times last year whilst in the Man City reserves"

"What you reckon to it?"

"My starts have been limited at the Albion, if I can't guarantee regular starts in the team then I will want to go."

"Curtis I'll be honest, I think you should go, I don't want the Albion to hold you back, you are a good lad with talent and I can't guarantee you what you want"

I inform Curtis' agent and the £1.3 million deal is agreed and the youngster is on his way to the Championship, he will be a good player with loads of starts under his belt, but I couldn't risk playing him week in and week out. I hope I don't live to regret the transfer.

Archived