Group G Predictions

djvandyke

Top 2?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Top 2?

Hopefully North Korea will win all games, or at least the game against Brazil, and force the other teams to fight for the remaining spot. :cool:

But it's far more likely Brazil and Portugal advance to the Round of 16...

I haven’t seen North Korea play but won't let that stop me writing them off. I can see this group going right to the wire, maybe the top three separated by goal difference but I’m backing the Elephants to sneak through.

I've sneakily gone for Cote d'Eboué in there too with Brazil. I'm not sure how it'll go. Fantastic group though, any one of those three teams could quite feasibly qualify other than North Korea, perhaps. But then it's only three games.

I haven’t seen North Korea play but won't let that stop me writing them off. I can see this group going right to the wire, maybe the top three separated by goal difference but I’m backing the Elephants to sneak through.

I think NK can, if they play at their best, get a point or two, but that is still very unlikely. I want them to win to make the group more interesting, but I think Brazil and Portugal will both win their first two games and then play for the first place on matchday 3.

The Ivorians are probably going to be a disappointment like they were in 2006 and they hardly impressed in the ACoN, and North Korea is too weak unfortunately.

Won't be surprised to see the Ivorians get through ahead of Portugal. The Portuguese really stuttered in qualifying and no doubt Sven will get IC playing dour but effective football at least in the group stage.

Portugal struggled in qualifying. But ended strongly. Introduction of Liedson helped with the lack of a quality number 9. They ended with 5 straight wins and comfortable got through a tense play off. Ivory Coast always seem to bottle it in tournements. Can see it being over after the first 2 games and Portugal/Brazil playing out for first place.

I don't know that I fancy Portugal- they have lots of good players on paper but I don't think they're the force they were under Scolari. Ronaldo of course is a very big threat however. I think I'm going with Brazil and Ivory Coast- purely because of Sven :D

the Sven who got England to the quarters each tournament?

Isn't really a great thing is it? Portugal knocked England out twice and I don't think Scolari is an amazing coach... (good NT coach but seems to be doing very poorly in clubs :D)

Sven was a great coach in the 20th century but in the 21st century his career has gone from decent/mediocre to poor. (the season in Man City wasn't exactly the best despite the good start and the Mexico debacle was...)

good NT coach but seems to be doing very poorly in clubs

He did a great job at Criciúma (won Copa do Brasil with them), Grêmio and Palmeiras. He was also great job at Bunyodkor in Uzbekistan.

He did a great job at Criciúma (won Copa do Brasil with them), Grêmio and Palmeiras. He was also great job at Bunyodkor in Uzbekistan.

Wasn't he fired at Bunyodkor? Had that idea that he was fired for Asian CL performances.. Maybe I'm confused.. Maybe was some portuguese coach lol.

(btw I meant lately)

Wasn't he fired at Bunyodkor? Had that idea that he was fired for Asian CL performances.. Maybe I'm confused..

(btw I meant lately)

Not fired, it was mutual consent as Bunyodkor is having financial difficulties.

Guess it was the Portuguese coach that was in Al Shabab or something... Memory is a little fuzzy.. :S

Well, some sources did say that Felipão left because of the ACL, as it happened after they were eliminated from it. But the reason for him leaving was financial, his wages were among the highest in the world, but his club can't afford them anymore.

It is not easy to predict two teams that enter second round in this dangerous group. All teams are quite fit and can challenge each other. I will stand with Brazil and Portugal, much experienced teams compared to rest of the teams.

Archived