The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Tour party I'd take to subcontinent:

Test:

Vaughan

Trescothick

Strauss

Bell

Pietersen

Joyce/Key

Collingwood

Flintoff

Blackwell

G.Jones (wk)

Davies/Read (wk)

Giles

Batty

S.Jones

Harmison

Hoggard

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No back-up fast bowler for the Test squad (a Tremlett, Anderson etc)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There would be a back up fast bowler as I'd expect us to go into the games with 2 Spinners, so would only use 2 of Simon/Harmy/Hoggy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Yeah would love for us to set them 250-300 in the last session. They have to go for it, and could be the best bit of cricket ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the perfect ending to a classic ashes series tbh icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

That's only because Englnad are great at making life hard for themselves.

It's like going 3-0 in football, dominating for 88 minutes, and conceding 2 late late goals and seeing a last-second chance whizz past the post.

It was pretty convincing in terms of who was the better team, and taht it was pretty much wrapped up in the latter stages of the game - but the scoreline and the final moments suggest otherwise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you describe does not in my mind paint a picture of a convincing victory </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly - but it should. 3 chances in the last 3 minutes of the match isn't necessarily a sgin of 2 teams on a par.

Basically England were by far the better side in at least 2, if not 3 of the tests so far , and have only been guilty of not being to kill off their opponents - and when we're talking about Australia that's hardly an insult.

Having said that, the team isn't in perfect shape - obviously the same question marks are there that have been discussed all through this thread, eg:

G Jones - Good batsman vs. Good Wickey?

Good enough spinners - Gilo not penetrative enough?

Ian Bell? Definitely good enough for the weaker test sides, but doesn't appear good enough for the big sides - talk about luck all you want, he's had 9 innings ffs! But then the Aussies are the best, it's whether he'll be good enough against Pakistan, Sri Lanka etc that we have no idea about yet.

And possibly a few toher, although I'd say the above are the main worries, if you can really have any big worries when you're on the verge of winning the ashes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

Ian Bell? Definitely good enough for the weaker test sides, but doesn't appear good enough for the big sides - talk about luck all you want, he's had 9 innings ffs! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

9 innings is nothing icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

I really, really feel sorry for marto. His half century in the second dig at lords was a really good knock. couple of dodgy decisions later, and he looked a pale shadow of the player he can be. i know that sounds weak, that a player like that shouldn't lose confidence or form because of a couple of unlucky calls, but still... he looked in really good touch in that innings, and then suddenly... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought his dismissal at edgbastion in the first innings summed up his tour, didn't looked arsed enough to try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm reluctant to use an oft used word around these parts, especially in reply to a post by you, but here goes...

a touch of arrogance perhaps?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Bacon:

IIRC, cant the game be declared a draw at any point tomorrow, aslong as both captains agree? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if both captains agree a result is unlikely, they can declare the match a draw with the umpires permission.

perhaps the ultimate ignominy - surrendering the ashes with a 'no mas'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Clarke: Not really set the world alight on this tour. How bad his back injury is we can't be sure, but it's evidently not too serious or he'd have gone home. Comparisons to Steve Waugh are a bit OTT when looking at the difference in their England tour debuts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that he's had a bad series - only once has he been out for single figures, and he's averaging 37.

He's had a start in almost every innings he's played this summer - he's scored 11, 91, 40, 30, 7, 39, 36, 56 and 25. He's only been a couple of scores away from having a superb summer. He's definately one for the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

given he was the batsman under the most pressure coming into this series (aside from maybe hayden) i think he's had an outstanding summer. can't be easy for a playmaker like him to have to try and hold an innings together on so many occassions. i'd say he's the only batsman who could consider his position to be absolutely safe right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

I'd be more worried about the Australians - take Warne out of their attack and England would've had the series wrapped up by now, in much more convincing form than has been the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

take flintoff out of your side, and it's probable you wouldn't have won a test this summer.

and if your auntie had balls, she'd be your uncle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

really cant understand all this talk of setting them a target

i want them absolutely nowhere near it, we've had enough entertainment thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not saying set them a target, but if we are bowled out for 270 and there happen to be only 20 overs or so left then it would be great entertainment watching the aussies attempt a slogfest in the vain hope of getting over 13 an over icon_biggrin.gif

Who are the alternatives to Giles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Batty or Keedy tbh are the only half decent ones, but Gilo is streets ahead of them.

Is Kahn at Kent a spinner cos they were looking to get him nationalised I think ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

Ian Bell? Definitely good enough for the weaker test sides, but doesn't appear good enough for the big sides - talk about luck all you want, he's had 9 innings ffs! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

9 innings is nothing icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not enough to show anything definitive, but not too few to suggest it's purely bad luck either - he's had opportunities to do well, and has taken about 1.

That's why there's still a question mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

really cant understand all this talk of setting them a target

i want them absolutely nowhere near it, we've had enough entertainment thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No chance, the aim of tomorrow is to stay in as long as possible without being too defensive

9 innings is nothing icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not enough to show anything definitive, but not too few to suggest it's purely bad luck either - he's had opportunities to do well, and has taken about 1.

That's why there's still a question mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if gets out of the habit of walking across his defensive shots he'll be a good little player. he'd better get out of the habit soon, or else he'll be exposed again on the turning tracks on the sub-continent...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

certainly I have to agree with JoeyM that Bell's place should be under pressure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It should be under-pressure big time. Average just 17 in this series isn't good enough for a number 4

more complacency than arrogance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for a batsman, that's much the same thing. but yeah, can't argue with that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

ugh... just saw the latest pictures from the oval.

safe to say, there's only 98 overs left in this series weather permitting.

if you can't bat the sixty odd overs tomorrow that should put this match out of reach, then you don't deserve to regain the ashes tbh... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah plays all but been abandoned for the day! If we bat the right way we should be able to see out 60 overs at least.

really, assuming you score at four an over, we need to have you out before the halfway mark tomorrow (overs, not time, we have to bat supposing it is pitch black). that would add 160 - 200 runs onto the lead you have, leaving us needing 240 ish to win from around 45 overs.

that in itself would be a pretty tough chase...

if you can't bat the sixty odd overs tomorrow that should put this match out of reach, then you don't deserve to regain the ashes tbh... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many overs did we bat to win at Trent Bridge?

I've come down with tonsilitous (sp?) today, so I'll be able to watch tommorow instead of going to work.

I'll just have to do it in agony.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

I've come down with tonsilitous (sp?) today, so I'll be able to watch tommorow instead of going to work.

I'll just have to do it in agony. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pales in comparison with the agony you would be going through if you couldn't watch the match.. icon_wink.gif

quick roll call, whose pulling a sickie tomorrow ? i already booked the day off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i was gonna have a half day tomorrow but I'm not kidding I've just checked my temperature and I've got a fever of 101F, which ain't good icon_frown.gif

Thing is we can bat out 60 overs, we could bat out a 160, but we will chose not to. We'd rather collapse. tyvm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kapper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

I'll just have to do it in agony. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pales in comparison with the agony you would be going through if you couldn't watch the match.. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh, I probably would have taken the day as holiday - but at least I can do it guilt free now.

I just hope I don't get worse overnight - last time I had it I couldn't get out of bed for a week, the most ill I have been in my life, ever.

quick roll call, whose pulling a sickie tomorrow ? i already booked the day off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm looking for a job but will happily stay unemployed for one more day. icon_cool.gif

I got sciatica on Thursday evening ,and had to call in sick Friday and Saturday, for which my manager is ****ed and has stopped my bonus this month ( he tohught I was twagging, which I wasn't). I actually thought it wouldn't clear up until Tuesday at the earliest but it seems to have all gone, so I guess I kind of have to go into tomorrow.

The leading wicket takers in the county championship amongst spinners are:

Min Patel: 53 @ 27.6

Jason Brown: 34 @ 30.8

Monty Panesar: 41 @ 24.8

Shaun Udal: 35 @ 18.1

Ashley Giles: 34 @ 27.8

Gary Keedy: 33 @ 22.8

Robert Croft: 33 @ 59.8

Gareth Batty: 32 @ 35.9

With the exception of Batty (27) and Panesar (23) they are all over 30. Getting particularly Panesar into the academy to work into making him an international spinner may be the best move.

As for the winter squad:

Vaughan ©, Trescothick, Strauss, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Joyce, Flintoff, Jones, Prior, Giles, Batty, S.Jones, Harmison, Hoggard, Tremlett.

ODI team can be the Northumberland Under-12s second XI for all I care.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian W:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shaun Udal is fb. Come on so much under Warne's captaincy despite his age.

blair should pull rank and declare a national holiday tomorrow tbf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we had a PM like Howard (John not Michael) or even Major I'm sure that would happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim2:

If we get 3.5 runs an hour then we could set the Aussies to get 300 runs in 20 or so overs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have now idea how you worked that out but we'd need to be doing a run rate of about 11 to set them 300 of 20 overs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrgrapefruits:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim2:

If we get 3.5 runs an hour then we could set the Aussies to get 300 runs in 20 or so overs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have now idea how you worked that out but we'd need to be doing a run rate of about 11 to set them 300 of 20 overs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

98 overs tomorrow, of which we'll bat 76, 2 for the break and 20 for them to bat.

11*76 = 836 + 36...erm...872 should be a comfortable lead

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian W:

The leading wicket takers in the county championship amongst spinners are:

Min Patel: 53 @ 27.6

Jason Brown: 34 @ 30.8

Monty Panesar: 41 @ 24.8

Ashley Giles: 34 @ 27.8

Gary Keedy: 33 @ 22.8

Robert Croft: 33 @ 59.8

Gareth Batty: 32 @ 35.9

With the exception of Batty (27) and Panesar (23) they are all over 30. Getting particularly Panesar into the academy to work into making him an international spinner may be the best move.

As for the winter squad:

Vaughan ©, Trescothick, Strauss, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Joyce, Flintoff, Jones, Prior, Giles, Batty, S.Jones, Harmison, Hoggard, Tremlett.

ODI team can be the Northumberland Under-12s second XI for all I care. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you just have to take Chris Read on the winter tour, to experiment with having a proper wicket keeper. He's averageing 40 with Notts, so he's not an absolute muppet with the bat - I think he's worth another go in the squad, as he's clearly the best wicketkeeper we've got.

just checked cricinfo.

bugger </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ooooohhhhhhhhh... is that straw i sense on offer? i'll grasp at ten of em please... icon_biggrin.gif

Archived