The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cobbler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but the umpires WANTED to come off earlier, the aussies refused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does that justify them not wanting to come off in the same conditions when England are batting? I'm not really sure what point you are making anymore. Billy Bowden appeared to be saying that the conditions were better in the morning when the light was offered to Australia than in the afternoon when it wasn't offered to England initially. That's not consistent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd confused your point. i thought you were trying to say that they shouldn't have come off at all...

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

play resuming \o/

i'll just add, for those that don't know, the measurements those meters use is a standard candle.

so a light reading of 5.0 is equivalent to fifty candles in all directions (i think at a distance of five meters iirc). so the deterioration in the light from 6.4 to 5.0 is the equivalent to you swicthing off all the lights in the room, lighting sixty five candles and then blowing fifteen of them out... it doesn't sound like much, but it is a difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers - I didn't know that icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Squijee:

As a bowler, I find it quite annoying the way the game is slanted towards the batsmen. If you're bowling with an old ball on a flat deck on a scorching day, the laws don't allow the umpires to offer you the option of coming off because you can't get a wicket.

However, if the conditions are such that the batsmen are finding it hard to bat (even if it's not physically dangerous), they're off.

Meh, I'm just sulking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh... you leather flingers are all a bunch of whingers. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm a spinner so an old ball on a scorching day is probably my ideal conditions...but I still hate all you willow wavers so I'm standing up for my less intelligent but still loveable pace partners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeWesthead:

Couldn't have sounded mor like Richie Benaud if you'd tried icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

so, so sorry...

no third man icon_mad.gif

only one gully icon_mad.gif

only two slips icon_mad.gif

we need wickets ponting you utter, utter **** icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cobbler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but the umpires WANTED to come off earlier, the aussies refused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does that justify them not wanting to come off in the same conditions when England are batting? I'm not really sure what point you are making anymore. Billy Bowden appeared to be saying that the conditions were better in the morning when the light was offered to Australia than in the afternoon when it wasn't offered to England initially. That's not consistent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd confused your point. i thought you were trying to say that they shouldn't have come off at all... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. I totally agree with you that the way the rules are applied currently is unneccesary btw, and wouldn't be at all unhappy for them to be changed. The last two days of a test series isn't the time to be changing them though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Squijee:

Well, I'm a spinner so an old ball on a scorching day is probably my ideal conditions...but I still hate all you willow wavers so I'm standing up for my less intelligent but still loveable pace partners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

our season starts this saturday \o/

where do you play, and at what level?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

Australia deserve to win for the shades tbh icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if they'd all carried on wearing them while fielding...

Well, I'm a spinner so an old ball on a scorching day is probably my ideal conditions...but I still hate all you willow wavers so I'm standing up for my less intelligent but still loveable pace partners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where do you play, and at what level? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Play for Brighton in South Australia. We play in the Adelaide Turf competition, whose top league is basically on par with about C grade gricket.

Won the B3 competition last year against the barstewards from Grange. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Bacon:

Must be annoying as a batter hearing the Aussies cheer and shout after every ball </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be annoying as a batter hearing the English cheer and shout after every Flintoff bowel movement. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrgrapefruits:

So are any of us english fans feeling slightly less at ease, less nervous than hour ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am still worried, we need to get a good total of about 250 or 300 to make sure the aussies dont have time to catch it.

Am pleased we have Collingwood in now - our batting line up is strong and can surely get 250 at least. The wicket isn't that bad at the moment, its just the swing icon_frown.gif

Play for Brighton in South Australia. We play in the Adelaide Turf competition, whose top league is basically on par with about C grade gricket.

Won the B3 competition last year against the barstewards from Grange. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

c grade as in district, or c grade as in local club?

in sydney (and i imagine it's the same around the country), we've got grade (or district) where first grade is the level just below first class for nsw. there's five grades of that. then there's five grades of shires (which is basically like a 1st division. the comp is comprised of districts not big enough to have representation in the grade competition), and then you've got your club or local park cricket, where most districts have about ten, maybe twelve grades...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas The Phenom:

Clarke to take a wicket, sods law. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's a very handy bowler. they shouldn't underestimate him...

Won the B3 competition last year against the barstewards from Grange. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in sydney (and i imagine it's the same around the country), we've got grade (or district) where first grade is the level just below first class for nsw. there's five grades of that. then there's five grades of shires (which is basically like a 1st division. the comp is comprised of districts not big enough to have representation in the grade competition), and then you've got your club or local park cricket, where most districts have about ten, maybe twelve grades... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In SA we've got the Grade/District cricket run by SACA, and there are 4 grades of it. Then there's Adelaide Turf whose A1 grade is on par with B/C grade of the SACA competition.

Then there are, of course, a whole heap of small local club competitions that play on hard-wicket pitches and the likes.

I'm having this fantasy where Clarke bowls a rank long hop, Trescothick gives it full welly, Bowden doesn't pick it up in time due to the light and catches it full on the nose.

Justice tbh... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, that would be awesome.

• Administrators

we need at least three more wickets today to keep this alive... [/obvious] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I was just saying on MSN, get Vaughan cheap and Bell comes in, now when Vaughan's gone cheap Bell usually follows. Pietersen comes in, will spank it about a bit then get out to a silly shot. Then you're onto Collingwood, who hasn't much test experience.

It could happen, it has happened, and probably will.

in sydney (and i imagine it's the same around the country), we've got grade (or district) where first grade is the level just below first class for nsw. there's five grades of that. then there's five grades of shires (which is basically like a 1st division. the comp is comprised of districts not big enough to have representation in the grade competition), and then you've got your club or local park cricket, where most districts have about ten, maybe twelve grades... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In SA we've got the Grade/District cricket run by SACA, and there are 4 grades of it. Then there's Adelaide Turf whose A1 grade is on par with B/C grade of the SACA competition.

Then there are, of course, a whole heap of small local club competitions that play on hard-wicket pitches and the likes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

right, so that would equate roughly to the shires comp then.

after twelve years of playing on turf, i'm went back to the astro turf last season (local club). try bowling on that for sixty-ninety overs in 40 degree heat, then you'll get my sympathy. icon_biggrin.gif

Archived