The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrgrapefruits:

shut up geoffrey, australia have themselves to blame for being in this position </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in the context of the series, yes. but in the context of this match alone - not a chance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wazup:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Henry_14:

yeah \o/ "£60 for a ticket and you hope to see nothing" icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well they have seen the Auzzies crumble this morning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, 8 wickets fell, not exactly a bad bit of cricket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

how can it be dangerous with two spinners on ffs icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

surely if you cant see it you cant play </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfair according to umpire. Fair point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

how can it be dangerous with two spinners on ffs icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye, but it's nowhere near dark enough for that. by general consensus from all of the commentators, the light has improved from this morning.

Yes Scatter but Rudi said that when Australia went off on the first day they took a reading. That reading is what they've used for the entire match. They give the spinners a bit more leeway but once it drops too much below that level then they offer the light.

So basically because you went off on the first day, this is Australia's fault

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bennyboygersh:

Well in SA in the winter we'd have gone 2-0 up had the umps not taken the South Africans off for the light and England were livid and did the sit down protest iirc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh... no hypocrisy here...

aye, but it's nowhere near dark enough for that. by general consensus from all of the commentators, the light has improved from this morning.

tbf only the players and umps know what its like in the middle

i would like to take this opportunity (in case i forget in the excitement later/tomorrow) to give a big icon14.gif to scatter for showing up consistently in this thread in the face of some fairly inane comments, enjoying the banter and increasing my knowledge of the baggy greens

good on ya mate

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

Yes Scatter but Rudi said that when Australia went off on the first day they took a reading. That reading is what they've used for the entire match. They give the spinners a bit more leeway but once it drops too much below that level then they offer the light. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

even on the tv you can tell it was clearly darker on the two occassions we took the light.

i don't blame england for going off, not at all, and i don't blame them for only getting through 12 overs an hour this morning. but this is yet another poor decision from the umpires...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefinalbroadcast:

It seems a bit of an odd call, but I'm not there so I can't tell, tbf. They are there, we're not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, the umps are in the best position to judge. Even the commentators are not seeing it from the POV of the umps or players, so they don't know what it's EXACTLY like.

i would like to take this opportunity (in case i forget in the excitement later/tomorrow) to give a big icon14.gif to scatter for showing up consistently in this thread in the face of some fairly inane comments, enjoying the banter and increasing my knowledge of the baggy greens

good on ya mate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif same here

aye, but it's nowhere near dark enough for that. by general consensus from all of the commentators, the light has improved from this morning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf only the players and umps know what its like in the middle

good on ya mate

icon_smile.gif

cheers for that icon14.gif

and yes, you are right. the players are really the only ones who can know. i've played in matches where the supporters and team mates on the sidelines have been absolutely amazed at play being stopped. it's very different out in the middle...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

Athers going down in my estimations icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Rudi's got the wording of the rules wrong, then perhaps he's right. I've not got a problem with coming off because the Aussies have come off before, but it isn't good for the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

Harper disagreeing with some who's correct, who'd have thunk it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Says someone who thinks Bell is great for England. Cheers Mr Hindsight

What are these lot going on about now? There have been plenty of times that play has been stopped for bad light and no-one has said anything. Why should we be playing to different rules now than in the rest of the series?

Everyone knows what the rules says, but it has never been applied to the letter by any umpire in my lifetime, so why yak on about the wording?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

Harper disagreeing with some who's correct, who'd have thunk it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Says someone who thinks Bell is great for England. Cheers Mr Hindsight </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touch my hindsight

dean jones getting his conspiracy theories out there... icon_biggrin.gif

"just had an sms from a mate at the ground - it isn't raining, why are the covers coming on?"

ooooooooohhhhhhh... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Mo' Matthews: Hey, listen in man. This is not groovy. Far out, if they can't play against spinners in these conditions, well, that's whack. AND WHY ISN'T MACGILL PLAYING?!?!? HE IS THE GREATEST BOWLER EVER TO LICK A STUMP AND HE'S NOT PLAYING? WHAT'S GOING ON? HE DROPS MY SHEET ANCHOR!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

What Athers supposedly doing wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saying that England should still bat in bad light </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

england taking the light isn;t th issue. the light being offered in the first place is.

now jonesy and mo matthews are harping on about the scheduling of the tour, playing the last match so late in the summer.

wasn't that supposed to be in our best interests when we arrived??? icon_confused.gif

• Administrators

The rules contradict themselves:

http://www.lords.org/data/files/law_3_qanda-9661.pdf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"Unreasonable or Dangerous

any reasonable person could forsee the likelihood of injury to those on the field of play"

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"obvious and foreseeable risk to the safety of any player"

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so where's the likelihood of injury here?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">now jonesy and mo matthews are harping on about the scheduling of the tour, playing the last match so late in the summer.

wasn't that supposed to be in our best interests when we arrived??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before the series most people have said that BSKYB wanted all those one-dayers at the start of the summer, and the ECB being money grabbing barstewards agreed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Saying that England should still bat in bad light </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

england taking the light isn;t th issue. the light being offered in the first place is.

now jonesy and mo matthews are harping on about the scheduling of the tour, playing the last match so late in the summer.

wasn't that supposed to be in our best interests when we arrived??? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, we gave you too much time to prepare icon_razz.gif

Said the decision to go off for bad light there was ridiculous </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow I think if he was captain he wouldn't be complaining. I still don't think the series is ruined if the match is a draw anyway or if it rains the rest of the match. The middle three tests and the play today has been stunning.

Archived