The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

but the long stride forward, and the fact you could see middle and off meant that bowden had to be 100% sure the ball had turned enough. i don't think he could be given that bell was almost at the pitch of the ball.

i have no doubt it was going to hit middle/middle and leg, but i've seen two slow-mos of it to arrive at that opinion. i just don't think bowden should have been able to give it based on the normal speed replay i saw. benefit of the doubt and all that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is true. I must admit I don't think I saw it in full speed properly, but yeah on the slo-mos I don't think it was outside the line at any point and was heading towards middlish.

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

tbf to pietersen (and I seem to be saying that far too much nowadays), the 0 was in a situation where all that was asked was a slogfest, and even if he didn't deliver, it's not his fault that he perhaps wasn't in the correct mindset for the first ball.

and there was a hell of a lot of drift today, even if it was a poor stroke </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I wasn't blaming KP for his 0, at the time he came in the aim of the game was to just try to smack the ball.

coming in at number 5, I'd say a good performance would be achieving at least one 60+ score. personal opinion, I know situations differ, but it's not like he got us out of trouble in either innings - in the first geraint and freddie saved us, in the second the lower order had to finish it off. he wouldn't call that playing well

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

this is still devil's advocate, I'm still kp's biggest fan eva </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

omgz play devil's advocate on MSN

Anyway never mind praying for rain - let's settke for heavy cloud cover arriving in time for the start of their innings so that Hoggy starts swinging it round corners.

Plus, if Warne is turning it that much already, can you just imagine what havoc the King of Spain is going to wreak icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

has pietersen done anything since his first innings at edgbaston? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scored alot more runs then Bell,

Pietersen

---------

57 & 64

71 & 20

21 & 0

45 & 23

Total - 315

Ave - 35

Bell

----

6 & 8

6 & 21

59 & 65

3 & 3

Total - 171

Ave - 19 icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, but bell has had good balls and dodgy decisions. especially on that 21 at edgbaston.

ian bell doesnt play silly shots. pietersen has at least 3 or 4 times now

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

Hasn't played well? He scored 45 in the last test </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, he got out at 45 in the last test. you should turn 45's into big 50s at least because youve played yourself in - see aussie batting performances throughout this series

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

yeah, but bell has had good balls and dodgy decisions. especially on that 21 at edgbaston.

ian bell doesnt play silly shots. pietersen has at least 3 or 4 times now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's played one tbf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

He's played one tbf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can think of 3 daft shots from kp that have got him out for not many.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

He's played one tbf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can think of 3 daft shots from kp that have got him out for not many. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, he's thrown away his wicket at a couple of points where it was just idiotic the big fanny

Kp's had one poor decision.

just throwing that in, not really a point on its own </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And been on the end of some very generous decisions 3 or 4 times that have allowed him to go on and make a few runs too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

hey sebs, I heard this week that Leics dithered over signing Chris Rogers for next season and those Northants buggers have slipped in and nicked him from us </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, found that out on cricinfo the other week...

hope we dont regret it?

was a little disappointed with the performance on tuesday too :/ robinson looks in good form tho

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

hey sebs, I heard this week that Leics dithered over signing Chris Rogers for next season and those Northants buggers have slipped in and nicked him from us </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, found that out on cricinfo the other week...

hope we dont regret it?

was a little disappointed with the performance on tuesday too :/ robinson looks in good form tho </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah we were crud on Tuesday. Heard all sorts of scurrilous insider info tho. Not a happy ship at all.

has pietersen done anything since his first innings at edgbaston? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scored alot more runs then Bell,

Pietersen

---------

21 & 0

45 & 23

Total - 123

Ave - 17.6

Bell

----

59 & 65

3 & 3

Total - 151

Ave - 21.6 icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As the question was about "since the 1st innings at Edgbaston" I've corrected it.

So no, he hasn't scored a lot more runs than Bell. In fact, he's scored less since then. Both are worrying averages.

i don't know where it's come from, but after reading the soccernet (of all things) this morning, i started thinking about the cricket, and i just get this feeling that we're going to win this test for some reason.

reflecting on yesterdays play, we're in a dominant position if we can wrap up the tail for > 30 runs or so.

a big opening stand, with hayden going on to score big - he just HAS to score sooner or later, and when he does, it's going to be imperious - and gilchrist blazing away late on to put us in the position where we'll only need to bat once, or chase a meagre total to win...

i seriously don't know where that has come from, because at the start of the test i had absolutely no faith in our ability to win this when i saw both hodge and macgill weren't in the side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

Pietersen worries me more than any other player in this side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His tendancy to play particularly crap shots at even worse times is frightening, I must admit. I think he'll come through the other side of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

Pietersen worries me more than any other player in this side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His tendancy to play particularly crap shots at even worse times is frightening, I must admit. I think he'll come through the other side of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i don't know where it's come from, but after reading the soccernet (of all things) this morning, i started thinking about the cricket, and i just get this feeling that we're going to win this test for some reason.

reflecting on yesterdays play, we're in a dominant position if we can wrap up the tail for > 30 runs or so.

a big opening stand, with hayden going on to score big - he just HAS to score sooner or later, and when he does, it's going to be imperious - and gilchrist blazing away late on to put us in the position where we'll only need to bat once, or chase a meagre total to win...

i seriously don't know where that has come from, because at the start of the test i had absolutely no faith in our ability to win this when i saw both hodge and macgill weren't in the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have no chance now. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefinalbroadcast:

We need Geraint to hold out this morning. This is his time to build a reasonable innings (one session is reasonable enough, in my opinion) until lunchtime, when we could be at 375. Perhaps I'm aiming a bit high, but if we can just maintain, rather than go out to blaze, we can do this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From England's point of view, occupying the crease, in terms of overs bowled in a day, aids your cause and will assist to frustrate Australia. It's in Australia's interest that it scores its runs quickly and to build a lead (if possible) as fast as possible, to put England back in with as much time as possible to bowl England out a second time. Therefore, even though England shouldn't go out with a defensive mindset, they probably shouldn't mind some occupation of the crease, rather than blazing away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefinalbroadcast:

We need Geraint to hold out this morning. This is his time to build a reasonable innings (one session is reasonable enough, in my opinion) until lunchtime, when we could be at 375. Perhaps I'm aiming a bit high, but if we can just maintain, rather than go out to blaze, we can do this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From England's point of view, occupying the crease, in terms of overs bowled in a day, aids your cause and will assist to frustrate Australia. It's in Australia's interest that it scores its runs quickly and to build a lead (if possible) as fast as possible, to put England back in with as much time as possible to bowl England out a second time. Therefore, even though England shouldn't go out with a defensive mindset, they probably shouldn't mind some occupation of the crease, rather than blazing away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problem is Geraint Jones aint the sort of player who likes to hang around......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

From England's point of view, occupying the crease, in terms of overs bowled in a day, aids your cause and will assist to frustrate Australia. It's in Australia's interest that it scores its runs quickly and to build a lead (if possible) as fast as possible, to put England back in with as much time as possible to bowl England out a second time. Therefore, even though England shouldn't go out with a defensive mindset, they probably shouldn't mind some occupation of the crease, rather than blazing away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problem is Geraint Jones aint the sort of player who likes to hang around...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear what you're saying, but surely this is his chance to buy his way back into the team after a pretty average tour. A composed 60 in this innings, over 150 balls would be most grateful

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Problem is Geraint Jones aint the sort of player who likes to hang around...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear what you're saying, but surely this is his chance to buy his way back into the team after a pretty average tour. A composed 60 in this innings, over 150 balls would be most grateful </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly as Shane owns our tail its unlikely they'd be able to hang around long enough for him to face 150 balls. Still, we can all but hope.

Archived