The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ S:

Not near a tv, what are we on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both teams have turned into horses apparently, and it's really, really boring and pointless. DIE icon_mad.gif.

Not wishing to tempt fate but we are batting quite good. Peter Osbourne of the Spectator says that Pieterson should be dropped and Thorpe coming in for Pierterson. I disagree Pieterson has had this huge repuation from the ODIs and he started ok in his first test apart from the dropped catches. But I think that he will learn how to bat a test innings over time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim2:

Not wishing to tempt fate but we are batting quite good. Peter Osbourne of the Spectator says that Pieterson should be dropped and Thorpe coming in for Pierterson. I disagree Pieterson has had this huge repuation from the ODIs and he started ok in his first test apart from the dropped catches. But I think that he will learn how to bat a test innings over time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's 'Olympics' you utterly clueless drone angryfire.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

To the Australians on here - how disappointed or otherwise are you that your batting line up remains unchanged?

If England were in your position, or if I was an Aussie - I would have wanted Hayden switched at least. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

brad hodge not starting this match is absolutely criminal tbh.

in fact, our entire management team needs their heads read: we pick only one spinner from two world class leggies, despite the fact that pitch is dry, bouncy, and historically been a goldmine for spinners late on, oh, and the small matter that your batting line up has at times looked clueless against warne, and then, just 14 overs into the opening morning we give the ball to warne. icon_confused.gif

we don't deserve to win this match already, it's as simple as that. i'd seriously give the ball back to ricky ponting if he asked me to bowl to the fields he had set with the new ball. two slips and a gully as the only catching fielders in the second over of a match we have to win... he's having a laugh. i can point out the lack of luck we've had this morning in how often we've beaten the bat, but when you set fields like that, you aren't exactly trying to create your own luck are you (oh, and billy bowden can fo&d with his not giving tresco out when you think back to his decision to give langer out at edgbaston)?

the fact that this match is evenly poised on the first day - although we need to break this partnership, and we need to do it now - is entirely down to warne.

cue us getting gubbed and ponting repeating the line that it isn't his fault, the bowlers bowled poorly. it might help if you give them something to bowl to you muppet icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

To the Australians on here - how disappointed or otherwise are you that your batting line up remains unchanged?

If England were in your position, or if I was an Aussie - I would have wanted Hayden switched at least. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

brad hodge not starting this match is absolutely criminal tbh.

in fact, our entire management team needs their heads read: we pick only one spinner from two world class leggies, despite the fact that pitch is dry, bouncy, and historically been a goldmine for spinners late on, oh, and the small matter that your batting line up has at times looked clueless against warne, and then, just 14 overs into the opening morning we give the ball to warne. icon_confused.gif

we don't deserve to win this match already, it's as simple as that. i'd seriously give the ball back to ricky ponting if he asked me to bowl to the fields he had set with the new ball. two slips and a gully as the only catching fielders in the second over of a match we have to win... he's having a laugh. i can point out the lack of luck we've had this morning in how often we've beaten the bat, but when you set fields like that, you aren't exactly trying to create your own luck are you (oh, and billy bowden can fo&d with his not giving tresco out when you think back to his decision to give langer out at edgbaston)?

the fact that this match is evenly poised on the first day - although we need to break this partnership, and we need to do it now - is entirely down to warne.

cue us getting gubbed and ponting repeating the line that it isn't his fault, the bowlers bowled poorly. it might help if you give them something to bowl to you muppet icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Warne is an absolute legend of a bowler though , you've got to take your hat off.

Who would you have dropped for MacGill? Tait?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Tim, get back to pointing out people swearing, it suits you better than making posts about cricket which seemingly have no point to them, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was only pointing out the hypocisy of SI Mods complaining about swearing and avoinding the filter when putting a star in a swear word. Then along comes a SI employee and does the same thing, how can you claim to ask us not to swear when you do it yourselfs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Tim, get back to pointing out people swearing, it suits you better than making posts about cricket which seemingly have no point to them, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was only pointing out the hypocisy of SI Mods complaining about swearing and avoinding the filter when putting a star in a swear word. Then along comes a SI employee and does the same thing, how can you claim to ask us not to swear when you do it yourselfs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ngngngngNGNGNGngngng, tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

Who would you have dropped for MacGill? Tait? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is MacGill with the bat? Not that he could be anything like Tait!

64.5 Lee to Strauss, no run, full and outside the off, Strauss flashes

at it and edges, Gilchrist takes the catch but barely appeals. Lee

screams for the dismissal but is turned down

That was most certainly an edge. Surprising lack of enthusiasm from

the keeper and slip

Hmmm, from cricinfo, seems the Aussies missed that one!

PS Struass was lucky to not be out, having scored his highest score of the summer. It was clipped the outside of the bat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was clipped the outside of the bat??

yes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is MacGill with the bat? Not that he could be anything like Tait! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when macgill plays, macgrath bats ahead of him icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Drinkwater:

Sad comment on the umpiring that Gilchrist basically stopped them from getting that wicket by not appealing fully. If he'd gone up, the finger would have too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they just showed the replay, i'm not convinced that gilchrists appeal was weak - it looked as though he just assumed it a straighforward decision.

although the sentiment of your point is valid...

yes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is MacGill with the bat? Not that he could be anything like Tait! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when macgill plays, macgrath bats ahead of him icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf to Pidge - his batting has got like a million times better than it was at the beginning.

That's what has impressed me most about Australia is their resilianse in the tail end.

Lee and Warne have been absoulutely immense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Cavanagh:

Has anyone in the crowd of a cricket match been seriously injured/killed by a six being hit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Several people have been hit on the head. I hurt my hand catching one, but I was only 9!

Archived